Mac
(Birding Moderator)
12/26/15 03:56 AM
Whole Roast Duck Recipe Ideas/Tips?

Hey fellas,

Got any tips for roasting a mallard? I understand hot and fast is best. I got one thawing and want to please the GF.

Thanks!

redleg
(Enzyte - one a day!)
12/26/15 07:08 PM
Re: Whole Roast Duck Recipe Ideas/Tips?

Never done it myself Mike,,,,,but Mom (and she could cook a goose or duck) she would season up said bird and stuff it and lay taters carrots celery and oinons round it with some beer in the pan and a splash of cooking wine or sherry and let it slow roast til it as about to fall off the bone. Best dang duck I ever ate......Dad did it once with geese,,nite before deer season,,,3 geese 5 people nothing left ecept the bones,,,,He didn't stuff the birds,,still darned tastey....Don't get in a big hurry,, just low and slow add what you think will taste good and let it cook til it smells way too good and is falling apart.

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
12/27/15 05:43 AM

Thanks red for the suggestion. I have had similar dishes which I liked.

I elected to go hot and fast. 475F for bout 15 minutes, after browning the skin in a cast iron skillet.
Put the bird on top of a couple stalks of celery to prevent it from burning. Meat thermometer got to 140F and I took it out and put into a foil tent and the temp rose to about 160F.

Was great. Like rare steak in texture, color, moisture with a mild taste. Delicious I tell ya.yum yum!!!

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
12/30/15 04:22 AM

OK, another try tonight. Roast mallard high and fast after browning.

Think I nailed it this time. Taste and texture was between steak and roast. It retained the color of medium rare.

The key was to brown the outside more completely, and then into the oven at 450F until the core temp reached 160F. Then took it out and let it stand 10 min.

Most excellent!!!

Ironically there is essentially no odor in the kitchen when roasted this way.

It took but 2 tries to get this dialed in. I won't bother fixing mallards and puddle ducks any other way than this.

Btw...found the recipe on Delta Waterfowl.

redleg
(Enzyte - one a day!)
03/11/16 06:25 PM

I'll have to try that,,,,sounds good.

rb.
(member)
03/13/16 06:40 PM

I did a whole roasted mallard one time and it looked beautiful coming out of the oven. I way over cooked it and it was terrible. This recipe sounds really good and keeps the meat mid rare.

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
03/14/16 03:48 PM

rb.,

My first attempt came out too rare because I didn't braise it sufficiently. This is a must for color and flavor to develop. Also critical to braise the heck out of the legs so they are tender. It took me some 10-15 minutes to braise. I used thongs so I could grip the bird and direct the hot skillet contact.

THEN, it goes in the oven resting on a couple celery stalks for 450+ for 12-15 minutes, using the meat thermometer tell you when it gets to 155. Then immediately remove and wrap in foil to let the bird finish cooking - BUT remove foil before the meat turns brown.

Duck MUST be cooked RARE as described above. If you do, you'll think twice about breasting out teal, wood duck, mallard or pintails!!! Dabblers are a delightful table fare.

I have two big mallets left to roast, probably will do one this weekend. Serve with wild rice, pasta salad, rolls, etc. YUM.

rb.
(member)
03/14/16 04:55 PM

Mac that all makes perfect sense. I wasn't much of a cook then and roasted itlike a chicken. Well done duck isn't very tasty. Mid rare and browned like you said would be very good especially with wild rice on the side.

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
03/15/16 02:50 AM

rb.,

It completely changes the taste of duck to an extraordinarily tasty dish. Mild, tender, reddish in color. If you get it right, it is nirvana, bruthas!!!

rb.
(member)
03/16/16 02:15 PM

No doubt about that.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/01/16 01:59 AM

Sounds awesome Mike!
BTW Try doing a few like this in the video. It ounded too easy but I tell you it comes out really good. Bourdain can be a tool but he does know his way around a kitchen..
http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/anthony-bourdain/video/preparing-duck-in-the-ozarks

Don't make the mistake of trying to do too many at one time the duck fat will be too much and the skin won't brown as well.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5