CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: uphill

Re: Cards....... [Re: last_stand]
      #255163 - 05/30/17 05:05 AM

The last few games all the talking heads were saying that this team needs 'consistency'.

They already have consistency---decent pitching,a gasoline and a match bullpen, mediocre defense,bone head base running and barely breathing offense

Very consistent from what I can see

Hard to hit the target when you are always shooting yourself in the foot

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: Cards....... [Re: wuchang]
      #255169 - 05/31/17 04:16 PM

BROXTON GONE!!!!!! Finally. That's a good start. Clean up 75% of the dickheads in the bullpen.

About Grichuck........I'll quote Pete Rose. You don't change your swing, which is what I think Mayberry has done to home. Pete says your swing is what's got you to the show. You move your position in the box or choke up or slide down over h knob. You don't change your swing. Seeing Randall went to the minors last year and got his issue worked out for the late season run........I think the problem is with the hitting g coaching at the big club. He fixed it when he left. It's screwed up again due to Mayberry

How bout we get rid of the 1st and 3rd base coach. We run into way too many out and base blunders. Fork...........get rid of the entire coaching staff, starting with Matheny

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Cards....... [Re: H2ODOG]
      #255170 - 05/31/17 05:00 PM

You guys just need some new money

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Cards....... [Re: dabs]
      #255171 - 05/31/17 06:55 PM

We would get some from the New Money Royals..............but they done spent all their money, traded away their prospects, signed some washed up Cardinals players, and are busy coming up with gimics to put asses in the seats.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255172 - 05/31/17 07:10 PM

As Albert is about to snack number 600 and is fast closing in on 3000 hits & 2000 rbi's...........with 1st base a train wreck since he left, perhaps Mo and company should have not insulted a franchise player with a lowball offer to start negotiations. A guy scoring Close to 100 Runs a year, hitting 30+ homeruns a year, and 150 hits a year would be worth having having for the money AP is getting. A 600 HR and 3000 hit and 2000 RBI guy would have been great to have

Since 2001 when AP came into the league he has 599 HR's, 608 doubles, 1855 RBI's, 491 go ahead rbi's, 294 GW rbi's........and still has a career .308 average with his off years and injuries. Shouldn't have let him go and paid the man what he was worth. Considering what Mo paid for Brett Cecil, $20,000 an inning to suck balls, AP should have gotten $60,000,000 a year. The Cecil contract is an abortion and Cecil is laughing all the way to the bank.

Hell AP has a chance to get to 2000 runs also. That would put him in the same company as Aaron as the only 2 people with 3000 hits. 600+ homers and 2000+ rbi's, & 2000+ runs............but Mo didn't want to pay the man what he was worth. Even as a declining player, his ass is STILL producing better than anyone we keep sticking at 1st.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#255173 - 06/01/17 08:29 AM

Who?

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

wuchangAdministrator

Re: Cards....... [Re: griffin]
      #255174 - 06/01/17 09:40 AM

Will Leitch, Sports on Earth: "The Cardinals are a lousy fielding team, a lousy baserunning team and a lousy … well, just a lousy fundamental team. I know that fundamentals aren't in vogue, but when you watch the Cards play every day, they are sloppy and lackadaisical and all together ugly. They lose games because of mental lapses . . . and dumb errors and odd managerial decisions. They find new ways, seemingly every night, to lose. There is talent here, particularly in that rotation. If the Cardinals could tighten up their sloppy play, they could still make a run in this division. But when's the last time you saw a team suddenly turn from this error-prone to fundamentally sound midseason? The Cards bear little resemblance to their solid, reliable teams of the past. And as talented as they are, they don't have enough talent to overcome their daily brainfarts. No team is at a more pivotal moment right now than the Cardinals. The Brewers and Reds are still building; the Pirates have a ton of young talent; the Cubs are still the Cubs. What are the Cards? What's the plan? What are they, exactly? That question is far from being answered, and until it is, this team looks like what it record says it is: Mediocre."

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: Cards....... [Re: wuchang]
      #255175 - 06/01/17 10:48 AM

Quote:

they don't have enough talent to overcome their daily brainfarts

talent isn't the problem here. mentality and mental toughness are the problems.

a guy doesn't make it to the show and then forget how to field a ball or run the bases.

whatever term you want to put on it, they lack aggressiveness everywhere and they don't look like they're hungry to win at all costs..

maybe matheny should ditch the no cussing attitude and crawl all over some dudes?? I get the impression he's soft on the guys. yeah, they're talented, but you have to continually push them to get better and put pressure on them. if you can't drop an F bomb to get your point across or get their attention, maybe you ain't tough enough??

lots of people hated larussa's micro-managing of the game, but i'm pretty sure his players knew & felt the importance of playing the game hard and smart.

matheny is a nice guy, but sometimes a team needs a dick to run the show, especially with all of the young guys coming up..

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: Cards....... [Re: HAUS]
      #255176 - 06/01/17 05:31 PM

"but sometimes a team needs a dick to run the show"

A couple of guys up in hera fit the bill...

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#255177 - 06/02/17 05:41 AM

Quote:

HAUS said:
Quote:

they don't have enough talent to overcome their daily brainfarts

talent isn't the problem here. mentality and mental toughness are the problems.

a guy doesn't make it to the show and then forget how to field a ball or run the bases.

whatever term you want to put on it, they lack aggressiveness everywhere and they don't look like they're hungry to win at all costs..

maybe matheny should ditch the no cussing attitude and crawl all over some dudes?? I get the impression he's soft on the guys. yeah, they're talented, but you have to continually push them to get better and put pressure on them. if you can't drop an F bomb to get your point across or get their attention, maybe you ain't tough enough??

lots of people hated larussa's micro-managing of the game, but i'm pretty sure his players knew & felt the importance of playing the game hard and smart.

matheny is a nice guy, but sometimes a team needs a dick to run the show, especially with all of the young guys coming up..

Dang good post Haus I agree with most of it but sorry, that infield is not a defensively talented group....and they never were.

Carp has always been here for his bat. Gyrko does his best for sure, capable. Diaz is in the wrong position he's just not a ss and Wong has never shown consistency his time in the bigs.

I can buy they are better than they show. I agree there is no accountability for their sloppy play. And the base running thing? is entirely fixable yet again, no accountability for the slop.

This club misses Kissell and Jose, badly. What they demanded. And they need a manager to insist on something better as well.

And on top of all this they can't hit the baseball, and I know most have the ability to do that.

You'd think having missed the play offs by one stinking, lousy game last year, and there was a score of them to choose from, a light would go on in somebody's head. And I'd start with the manager on that one.

Our Ace is out yet here we sit with one of baseballs best rotations and we struggle to play .500. Tinkers-Evers and Chance we are not but maybe Mo needs to actually do something and put Matheney on notice, REAL NOTICE, and see if that can change things.

Kumbaya sure ain't.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

last_stand

#255178 - 06/02/17 05:52 AM

Fork him. He went for the money, ridiculous money. I get that, good for him I guess, but no way is he worth it.

--------------------

last_stand

#255179 - 06/02/17 05:53 AM

As Albert is about to snack number 600 and is fast closing in on 3000 hits & 2000 rbi's...........with 1st base a train wreck since he left, perhaps Mo and company should have not insulted a franchise player with a lowball offer to start negotiations. A guy scoring Close to 100 Runs a year, hitting 30+ homeruns a year, and 150 hits a year would be worth having having for the money AP is getting. A 600 HR and 3000 hit and 2000 RBI guy would have been great to have

Since 2001 when AP came into the league he has 599 HR's, 608 doubles, 1855 RBI's, 491 go ahead rbi's, 294 GW rbi's........and still has a career .308 average with his off years and injuries. Shouldn't have let him go and paid the man what he was worth. Considering what Mo paid for Brett Cecil, $20,000 an inning to suck balls, AP should have gotten $60,000,000 a year. The Cecil contract is an abortion and Cecil is laughing all the way to the bank.

Hell AP has a chance to get to 2000 runs also. That would put him in the same company as Aaron as the only 2 people with 3000 hits. 600+ homers and 2000+ rbi's, & 2000+ runs............but Mo didn't want to pay the man what he was worth. Even as a declining player, his ass is STILL producing better than anyone we keep sticking at 1st.

Post Extras: Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Quote:

last_stand said:
Fork him. He went for the money, ridiculous money. I get that, good for him I guess, but no way is he worth it.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255180 - 06/02/17 09:11 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:

So since 2011, we have tried 4-5 abortions at 1st. I guess you liked Brandon Moss for $9 million so we watch him strike out 200 times a year, hit .215 But...........BUT, hit 30 HR.

The money we pissed away on EVERY failure at 1st, the money we tried to piss away on one of the most over rated Right fielders to ever play Jason's heyward............you know, the guy with an AWESOME WAR. A joke of a
Stay to say the least. Brett Cecil. Broxton. Adams. Craig. The list of pissed away money goes on and on and on.

Forgive me for wanting to oak a guy $30 million a year, who ACTUALLY is productive. A 3/4 version of Pinole is STILL 3x's the players of anyone we have tried there.

Instead we shift Carpenter around every season so he can learn a new spot, effecting his hitting. Dude has to put in extra work to learn a new position Might as well try him at catching next year so he has the entire infield. Hell............Mo and Matheny tried to convert one of the DUMBEST left fielders in baseball to 1st base. That was going to be a $17 million dollar experiment for a guy who hadn't played 1st base since the 3rd grade. The Cards aren't consistent. Every damn season we have more and more failed experiments in the field. Why not have consistency. #5 gave us that. A consistent hitter and 1st baseman. Then Matheny doesn't have to try to crest magic every night and mix up his lineup.

When I look at all the money Mo has pissed away on stupid pickups or contracts.........it makes the Pujols contract look retarded NOT to sign. You don't think he is worth he money. Great. His numbers stil show he is.

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

#255181 - 06/02/17 10:11 AM

everyone has the right to change their mind...

it looks like dog has.

(you royals fans ought to jump on this one)

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#255182 - 06/02/17 11:44 AM

Quote:

HAUS said:
everyone has the right to change their mind...

it looks like dog has.

(you royals fans ought to jump on this one)

The only jumping they did was sign Moss

last_stand

#255183 - 06/02/17 12:05 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

So since 2011, we have tried 4-5 abortions at 1st. I guess you liked Brandon Moss for $9 million so we watch him strike out 200 times a year, hit .215 But...........BUT, hit 30 HR.

The money we pissed away on EVERY failure at 1st, the money we tried to piss away on one of the most over rated Right fielders to ever play Jason's heyward............you know, the guy with an AWESOME WAR. A joke of a
Stay to say the least. Brett Cecil. Broxton. Adams. Craig. The list of pissed away money goes on and on and on.

Forgive me for wanting to oak a guy $30 million a year, who ACTUALLY is productive. A 3/4 version of Pinole is STILL 3x's the players of anyone we have tried there.

Instead we shift Carpenter around every season so he can learn a new spot, effecting his hitting. Dude has to put in extra work to learn a new position Might as well try him at catching next year so he has the entire infield. Hell............Mo and Matheny tried to convert one of the DUMBEST left fielders in baseball to 1st base. That was going to be a $17 million dollar experiment for a guy who hadn't played 1st base since the 3rd grade. The Cards aren't consistent. Every damn season we have more and more failed experiments in the field. Why not have consistency. #5 gave us that. A consistent hitter and 1st baseman. Then Matheny doesn't have to try to crest magic every night and mix up his lineup.

When I look at all the money Mo has pissed away on stupid pickups or contracts.........it makes the Pujols contract look retarded NOT to sign. You don't think he is worth he money. Great. His numbers stil show he is.

No I don't think he's worth it. And if his numbers prove otherwise then there's a lot of guys out there getting underpaid.

For starters, hasn't Pujols DH'd the last two years? He can't play regular at first base. Major foot issues I believe. So there goes that small detail.

Worth the money? The dude is going to get paid almost 50% of his YTD LIFETIME earnings over the next four years. Then, of course, is his 10 million dollar 10 year personal services contract with the Anahwho Angels.

His numbers have trended down since the day he left here.

He's a HOF'er and we had him when he was at his best, by far. He could have stayed here if he chose, he did not. Maybe more than 35k would be coming to the park to see him hit #600. Maybe baseball would take notice if he were doing it here. As it is, he went to the armpit of major league baseball for the money to play out his days. Poor Albert.

And then of course we got Wacha and Piscotty in return from Anawho for signing Albert. Not too shabby.

I got nothin against AP. I wanted him to stay. But since leaving, found out I was wrong. The fact Mo has not been able to find a way to stabilize the first base position is hardly a reason to go from pan to fire with hindsight. It just means Mo sucks from time to time.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255184 - 06/02/17 12:07 PM

I said pay the man what he was worth. The Cardinals shot him a low ball short term deal. When they finally came around and decided to pay a little more it was too late. Looking at his numbers and the failuresa we have has with signings, the pujols contract should have been signed long before he hit he market.

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

#255185 - 06/02/17 02:00 PM

I was messing with you.

Worth is a relative term. A piece of property or house is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.

Everyone and their brother wanted him to stay, but Bert thought he was "worth" more. Remember all the "legacy" talk? I know you enjoyed those comments from him.

I have zero idea how much the Cardinal organization can afford, but they apparently thought they couldn't afford him and I can't blame them. If they did sign him to a 300 million dollars deal, they'd have chit for starting pitching and then everyone would be bitchin about that.

I agree that the patchwork job they've done with filling holes is pretty brutal. You basically have a team of utility players starting every day.

They've made some bad deals for sure. It's hard to see inside the heart of another person. Dude might bust his ass for 3-4 years, then he signs the big contract and starts coasting. Speaking of, might just be me, but does anyone else think Yadi is playing exceptionally chitty (by his standards) this year? Lots of passed balls is the main thing I've seen. Coincidence he just signed his big contract??

Anyways, us bitchin about ain't going to change anything, but it sure is fun..

--------------------

last_stand

#255186 - 06/02/17 04:44 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
I said pay the man what he was worth. The Cardinals shot him a low ball short term deal. When they finally came around and decided to pay a little more it was too late. Looking at his numbers and the failuresa we have has with signings, the pujols contract should have been signed long before he hit he market.

My memory is he was asked plenty to sign early and said NO.

He was extremely coy with wanting the open market, but it was clear leaving here was a very strong option that he wanted, unlike the other lifetime Cardinal greats who played ball with the front office and retired with bats on their jerseys.

No, Albert wanted the money, he got it, and he got the Angels too. Whats funny is with that 10 year "personal services" contract he is going to have that franchise wrapped around his neck for a long long time. Is he going into the Hall wearing that forkin halo hat? Forkin California dreamin is what he's got.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#255187 - 06/03/17 09:09 AM

Fork AP. He and his biatch wife are money grubbing carpet baggers. Thankfully, for him this is America and he is free to to whatever he wants, within the rules of baseball and the law. Even more thankfully for him, Curt Flood took a stand all those years ago.

I love all the people who say things like, "You would have too..." or "Who wouldn't..." Bullchit!!! Tons of people, me included, have passed up opportunities to make more money and fatten bank accounts. Some people make career/life decisions based on sheer ego and greed. Others make them on goals not tied to money and fame. Things like family, community, quality of life, etc... So please don't try to tell me I am supposed to still love AP because he's just doing what anyone else would have done. That BS. I could have managed to squeak by on $215 or $220 million, rather than $230 (or whatever the obscene numbers actually were). I would have preferred he stayed at the time. In retrospect, it may have been one of the best non-signings in their history.

We got the best 11 years out of him, by far, at a steal of a price and he still made millions!! No, I don't feel sorry for him. No, I don't care for him. No, I don't want to see him succeed. No, I don't give two flyin' forks if he is miserable in that chithole of a state. Yes, I cuckle a little each time I read about how nobody cares about him hitting #600 (has he even done it yet?). Yes, I snicker when I see he's struggling... Fork him!!

Carry on...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: Cards....... [Re: sptsman]
      #255191 - 06/03/17 08:51 PM

Dude - he's just doing what anyone else would have done.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Cards....... [Re: sptsman]
      #255193 - 06/04/17 01:46 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Fork AP. He and his biatch wife are money grubbing carpet baggers. Thankfully, for him this is America and he is free to to whatever he wants, within the rules of baseball and the law. Even more thankfully for him, Curt Flood took a stand all those years ago.

I love all the people who say things like, "You would have too..." or "Who wouldn't..." Bullchit!!! Tons of people, me included, have passed up opportunities to make more money and fatten bank accounts. Some people make career/life decisions based on sheer ego and greed. Others make them on goals not tied to money and fame. Things like family, community, quality of life, etc... So please don't try to tell me I am supposed to still love AP because he's just doing what anyone else would have done. That BS. I could have managed to squeak by on $215 or $220 million, rather than $230 (or whatever the obscene numbers actually were). I would have preferred he stayed at the time. In retrospect, it may have been one of the best non-signings in their history.

We got the best 11 years out of him, by far, at a steal of a price and he still made millions!! No, I don't feel sorry for him. No, I don't care for him. No, I don't want to see him succeed. No, I don't give two flyin' forks if he is miserable in that chithole of a state. Yes, I cuckle a little each time I read about how nobody cares about him hitting #600 (has he even done it yet?). Yes, I snicker when I see he's struggling... Fork him!!

Carry on...

I see you need anger management classs more than anyone in this dump. Probably more than John lackey. For the record...........he hit a Grand Slam for number #600. You know. Just Ike the Cubs hit off us last night because Matheny can't manage. I don't care what you or the old dude LS thinks...........I'll have GLADLY had Pujols here and perhaps over paying him for a few years. A 6--8 year deal with $30-25 million a year would have gotten him. The cards came in at 4-5 years for low money. Hell get create like the Angles did and pay him after baseball.

I'm sides since he has a 10 year gig with he Angels after baseball, he goes into the HOF wearing ANGELS RED

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#255194 - 06/04/17 05:26 PM

Old money woes.... on a brighter note , America's team won again today!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

#255196 - 06/05/17 06:05 AM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Carry on...

I see you need anger management classs more than anyone in this dump. Probably more than John lackey. For the record...........he hit a Grand Slam for number #600. You know. Just Ike the Cubs hit off us last night because Matheny can't manage. I don't care what you or the old dude LS thinks...........I'll have GLADLY had Pujols here and perhaps over paying him for a few years. A 6--8 year deal with $30-25 million a year would have gotten him. The cards came in at 4-5 years for low money. Hell get create like the Angles did and pay him after baseball.

I'm sides since he has a 10 year gig with he Angels after baseball, he goes into the HOF wearing ANGELS RED

ummmmmmmmm........aside from the other 250 million reasons it's good he's gone, he is a dh player, unable to play first base regularly while able to hit a baseball. In the middle of his contract.

I am certain it is hard to accept, but just take if from the old guy, you're wrong on this one dawg.

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255197 - 06/05/17 11:50 AM

Wrong again old man. Pujols has played 155 games a year
Since being in Cali, except 2013 when he was hurt. He has played nearly 120 games at first base every one of those season, until last year, when they put him as the DH primarily. The Angels actually have another TRUE 1st baseman they can use, who bats about .280 and gives them another solid bat in their lineup. Why not put AP as the DH, when you have another younger guy to use in the field. It's first base. It's not like we asked him to shag balls on Left Field.

125 games a year from AP with his numbers is way better than watching Brandon Moss strike out 200 times and hit .215 Maybe you enjoyed watching Adams, Reynolds, Moss, and the rest think they were farmers swinging at chit in the dirt while batting.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page