CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

PGA Championship - last Major of the year
      #255607 - 08/09/17 01:24 PM

I am going with JS. What a story. Youngest ever to achieve the lifetime Grand Slam. But man, there are literally a dozen or more "favorites" for this one...

Picks?

And griffin, you can tell us who you hate...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: sptsman]
      #255608 - 08/09/17 04:15 PM

The come back tourney for Jason Day.....that is my prediction. I seem to be doing really well with them as of late

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: dabs]
      #255609 - 08/09/17 04:27 PM

I think Charlie will step up and finally get er done.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: last_stand]
      #255612 - 08/09/17 05:36 PM

I'm pulling for Jordan ....but money is on Rory.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

#255615 - 08/10/17 07:37 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I am actually hoping he does. Starting to feel his pain and he seems like a really good dude. Is he the next Phil or Greg Norman. The guy has 2nd and 3rd place finishes down to a science...

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: Bubba]
      #255634 - 08/11/17 01:33 PM

Did I say Rory?? Oh my , I meant Kizner.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

#255637 - 08/11/17 03:04 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I am actually hoping he does. Starting to feel his pain and he seems like a really good dude. Is he the next Phil or Greg Norman. The guy has 2nd and 3rd place finishes down to a science...

He'll be lucky to make the cut!

This one comes down to Sunday. No surprise there.

--------------------

last_stand

#255653 - 08/13/17 09:59 AM

Hideki pretty much fell down with Kisner yesterday.

Stroud now a real possibility.

No telling who comes through with the pressure packed closing day, including A surge by Fowler.

Next year the PGA is at Bellerive and then I heard this morning they are moving it up to MAY in 2019.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

#255654 - 08/13/17 05:09 PM

Going out on a long limb here but I have a good feeling bout Justin Thomas!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: Bubba]
      #255656 - 08/14/17 07:51 AM

Good finish. Would have been awesome to have it come down to the last putt but that last few hours of that tourney were pretty fun to watch.

No matter what, we were going to get a first time major winner and that is always cool to see...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#255660 - 08/14/17 02:01 PM

This is fake sports.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#255661 - 08/14/17 02:10 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Good finish. Would have been awesome to have it come down to the last putt but that last few hours of that tourney were pretty fun to watch.

No matter what, we were going to get a first time major winner and that is always cool to see...

I get playing a round of golf every now and then.........but how the fork does someone actually sit in their house and watch it???? It's like tennis or soccer.

Do you whisper in the house while watching??? Do you hold clap too??
I'd rather watch transgender eurotraah soccer than golf

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: H2ODOG]
      #255663 - 08/14/17 03:01 PM

------------------

Edited by Krazy (08/14/17 04:02 PM)

last_stand

#255664 - 08/14/17 03:21 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

I get playing a round of golf every now and then.........but how the fork does someone actually sit in their house and watch it???? It's like tennis or soccer.

Do you whisper in the house while watching??? Do you hold clap too??
I'd rather watch transgender eurotraah soccer than golf

Bwaaaaaaaaaa..........why am I not surprised?

Played 18 yesterday myself came home at 4:30 and had a Weller 12 in my glass straight up (ok, it was just regular Wellers).........and watched the best golfers in the world play one of the best sports in the world on an unreal like golf course.

It was pure hell.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255666 - 08/14/17 07:17 PM

I'm sorry........you lost me at one of the best sports in the world.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#255668 - 08/14/17 11:00 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Played 18 yesterday myself came home at 4:30 and had a Weller 12 in my glass straight up (ok, it was just regular Wellers).........and watched the best golfers in the world play one of the best sports in the world on an unreal like golf course.

If you google "why should I hate golf".......you will find this sentence.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: griffin]
      #255669 - 08/15/17 10:19 AM

I am not going to try to convince anyone to watch golf. You either get it or you don't. There is a reason that EVERY single PGA tournament is on a major network channel for the entire PGA "season" (spring, summer, fall), every weekend. And the 4 majors, President's Cup, Ryder Cup, etc. get even more coverage than that.

It is a great sport with a rich history and the ultimate man vs. himself sport there is. It combines a degree of athleticism and mental toughness unseen in any other sport. Standing on a tee-box or over a 6' putt, all by yourself, with history on the line (not to mention millions of dollars) is something 99% of the people in this world could not handle. Throw in the fact that all but the most physically disabled can play the game into their 80's and it becomes that much more appealing to people.

So, bash and trash it all you want. For those of us that play and watch, it will always be a great sport!!

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#255670 - 08/15/17 11:10 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I am not going to try to convince anyone to watch golf. You either get it or you don't. There is a reason that EVERY single PGA tournament is on a major network channel for the entire PGA "season" (spring, summer, fall), every weekend. And the 4 majors, President's Cup, Ryder Cup, etc. get even more coverage than that.

It is a great sport with a rich history and the ultimate man vs. himself sport there is. It combines a degree of athleticism and mental toughness unseen in any other sport. Standing on a tee-box or over a 6' putt, all by yourself, with history on the line (not to mention millions of dollars) is something 99% of the people in this world could not handle. Throw in the fact that all but the most physically disabled can play the game into their 80's and it becomes that much more appealing to people.

So, bash and trash it all you want. For those of us that play and watch, it will always be a great sport!!

Change 4-5 words in here and this coulda been a post about NASCAR..

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: PGA Championship - last Major of the year [Re: HAUS]
      #255671 - 08/15/17 11:21 AM

Fork a sport that requires whispering from the "gallery".... Sounds like an art museum competition.

And Andy......99% of the people in this world could not handle a spelling bee......try again.

griffin

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #255672 - 08/15/17 02:33 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
......99% of the people in this world could not handle a spelling bee......try again.

griffin

That one stung a bit

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255674 - 08/15/17 05:03 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

Mental toughness........get he mental toughness to stand in a ring toe to toe against Mike Tyson in his hayday........let alone the physical toughness. 99.99999999998627 % of the people don't rise to that occasion. I'll take the 6' putt mental game over finding the mental toughness to climb into a boxing ring with any great fighter, let alone Tyson.

As far as coverage......ya the signed a deal with NBC and you have the boring Golf channel Out of 139 events for the year, the average viewership was 500,000 people per event. That includes those big event s that brings in 20-21 million, which occur over a 3-4 day period. Take out the majors and he viewership is closer to 107,000 an event for 130+ events.........FSMW broadcasts about 140 Cards games, with an average of nearly 135,000 households per game. Golf doesn't even compete with a Mid Market baseball team's viewership. Granted, it's usually the #2 or #3 market in the country.......but Golf's average without the major events can't even compete with the Cards nightly.

Hell opening night of baseball this year saw 3.7 million viewers for a 3 hour game. The damn golf match runs all damn day........and only gets an average of 6 million viewers on a championship weekend. Golf viewership keeps NBC relevant as it can be. They don't have chit else for "sports" coverage........unless you count the NBA and occasion hockey games. NBC sucks. The Golf channel sucks.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

#255685 - 08/16/17 04:47 PM

Thank you , Stat Boy , for those sobering words of wisdom!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

#255708 - 08/17/17 04:02 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Fork a sport that requires whispering from the "gallery".... Sounds like an art museum competition.

And Andy......99% of the people in this world could not handle a spelling bee......try again.

griffin

This from a guy who swims indoors. bwaaaaaaaa

--------------------

last_stand

#255709 - 08/17/17 04:08 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Mental toughness........get he mental toughness to stand in a ring toe to toe against Mike Tyson in his hayday........let alone the physical toughness. 99.99999999998627 % of the people don't rise to that occasion. I'll take the 6' putt mental game over finding the mental toughness to climb into a boxing ring with any great fighter, let alone Tyson.

As far as coverage......ya the signed a deal with NBC and you have the boring Golf channel Out of 139 events for the year, the average viewership was 500,000 people per event. That includes those big event s that brings in 20-21 million, which occur over a 3-4 day period. Take out the majors and he viewership is closer to 107,000 an event for 130+ events.........FSMW broadcasts about 140 Cards games, with an average of nearly 135,000 households per game. Golf doesn't even compete with a Mid Market baseball team's viewership. Granted, it's usually the #2 or #3 market in the country.......but Golf's average without the major events can't even compete with the Cards nightly.

Hell opening night of baseball this year saw 3.7 million viewers for a 3 hour game. The damn golf match runs all damn day........and only gets an average of 6 million viewers on a championship weekend. Golf viewership keeps NBC relevant as it can be. They don't have chit else for "sports" coverage........unless you count the NBA and occasion hockey games. NBC sucks. The Golf channel sucks.

Viewership has zero to do with anything I like or don't like.

I'm guessing 70% of all pro athletes play golf.

I wonder why.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255713 - 08/17/17 09:39 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Viewership has zero to do with anything I like or don't like.

I'm guessing 70% of all pro athletes play golf.

I wonder why.

Well its about the only damn thing their contract allows them to do. Motorcyles, MMA fighting, Boxing, PIckup bBB games, water skiing, snow skiing......you know, all the damn fun stuff they aren't allowed to do because the team is protecting their investment. They allow them to golf, because they know its not a physically demanding game and they can legally take drunk while driving on the course. Plus I imagine most of the pro athletes live in a nice house somewhere on a private Country Club and have to do 50-11 charity events in their off-season that revolve around a golf tourny. I know it takes you a while to catch on, but if you have to be at a charity golf deal for your team, or you are asked to be in a charity golf deal for the fans, or live on a golf course in a private gated community.......it doesn't take someone like Captain obvious to figure out they will probably play golf.

BTW......70% of white Pro Athletes.......or 70% of ALL pro athletes. Somehow, I don't see 70% of the NBA playing golf.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3108

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page