CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

2018 Cardinals
      #255919 - 09/20/17 09:42 PM

Might as well get this post going. The 2017 Cardinals are dead in the water. Its going to take a miracle to get into the playoffs this season. Even if they make it, which is a BIG IF, they won't go far. Shitty Bullpen, Shitty Manager, and Average Starting pitching is what killed the season. 7 guys can hit 20+ HR on the 2017 team, so the hitting wasn't the big issue.

Fowler was not a problem. He played hurt and was on the DL a few times. Will still manage to hit 20 HR and bat .270-280

Carpenter is a toss up. Matheny shifted him around in the lineup. He hits best at the leadoff spot. He always has. MM shifted him around too much. Carp will hit a full 40 points below his normal average and is a perennial All-Star. He had a bad season. I think he comes back next year. One bad year isn't worth shipping him off. Put him in the leadoff spot, and move him back to 3rd. Carpenter or Gyrko will have to be traded in the offseason, if Mo seriously goes after a 1st baseman, which he should. I like Gyrko and his bat has pop, but I think he gets traded. His overall offensive numbers aren't anywhere near Carpenters. MM is set on Wong at 2nd and he did step up this season.

Ship out Grichuk in the off season first chance they get

Ship out Brett Cecil and eat money to get him to go.

Piscotty is a hit or miss spot. He has shown signs of great hitting before this season.. Injuries hit him hard this year. He is signed cheap for 2018 and after that he gets paid $7+ million a year. Cards are outfield strong, as they always are. I think they should hold onto Piscotty for next year to see how well he does. If he does well, you decide to keep him or ship him off. If he does average you can still get rid of him in a trade. His stock is down for trading with his injuries this season. Unless Mo is going after Stanton in Florida to get a power hitting outfielder, then Piscotty will stay. If Mo goes after Stanton, several outfielders will be packing their bags for FL. Piscotty, Pham, and maybe one of the other prospects.

Martinez, Pham, Fowler, Piscotty should be the opening day outfielders. Sierra, Bader, and O'Neill all will be fighting for a spot too. All well deserving of a shot as well. Piscotty could be shipped out for some good pitching or hitting, and one of the 3 young kids could step up. Mo has to be smart.

Keep DeJong at Short. He has earned it.

Get serious with a 1st baseman. Someone who can hit for power and average. Hell Hosmer in KC is an upgrade to anything we have had since 2011. Just find someone who can hit the long ball, and won't strike out 150+ times a season, while batting .270+ and driving in 100+ a season.

Lynn gets resigned.
Starting Pitchers: It depends on if Reyes will be ready and if Lynn signs.
Lynn
Martinez
Wacha
Weaver
Flaherty
Reyes

A true power hitting outfielder or 1st basemen.....or hell, go crazy and get both. Spend some of that $1 Billion TV package money Mo. Get some hitting, maybe a great #2 starter, and fix the damn bullpen. It was awful. Mizzou Football awful. Kim Anderson Basketball awful.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: H2ODOG]
      #255920 - 09/21/17 07:23 AM

As I see it the Cards need 3 new position players.

1st, 3rd and RF.

To truly change this team, and by that I mean defensively too for sure, you need 3 new players there.

They have a lot of players with value to trade to get this done. I would try to keep Bader as our potential 3rd/4th outfielder and for me I would cut ties with both Grichuk and Piscotty and then Carpenter too to get the players and money they need at first, 3rd and pitching relief. Try to hold onto some of the young players on the farm if they can. Oneil looks good and then we have Garcia down there who is definitely on the move. Cards can fill that RF spot without spending a dime and focus on 1st and 3rd.

I doubt Mo agrees, so there's that.

Got a bad feeling about signing Lynn to the big money long term deal. Since he never got extended I believe they intended to let him walk not sure if anything has changed there or not but with the year he had I suspect they are rethinking that move.

I'll be surprised if they chase Stanton and shocked if they get him, but this franchise is going to have pressure on them this off season like never before. Yet another "one player" change ain't gonna cut it and I hope they know that.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: last_stand]
      #255922 - 09/21/17 08:38 AM

Lynn will not sign with the Cardinals if Matheny is the Mgr. That's my gut feeling. I would love to see him stay but the cost is going to be astronomical, for what you are getting (a solid #2 or #3). If they can get him to stay at a reasonable number that would be great. If not, they should be able to overcome it.

I am going to disagree with most about Tommy Pham. He has been great this year and that can't be denied. But he's 29 or 30 and has serious eye issues. He has trouble seeing in day games and it is very unlikely he can maintain the numbers he put up this year, once teams break him down and start pitching to him accordingly. Remember, it took him a long time to make it to the bigs. Use him as trade bait.

Their #1 player need is a big bat to be behind Carpenter, Fowler, etc. If they can get that and shore up that bullpen, they can compete. Then again I have very little confidence any team under Matheny will play play at peak performance.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: sptsman]
      #255926 - 09/21/17 01:02 PM

bwaaaaa....he can hit with bad eyes so get rid of him?

Pham has proved himself all year. He is late to the bigs because of a massive list of injuries over his entire career, keeping him from consistently playing the game. Take a chance on the eye thing and stay with him unless some monster trade involves him which would not shock me that teams would want him. He NEVER lets up a second in any game.

Carp is a tough one, but he can only play 1st adequately. If you put him at first, please don't complain later we have no big pop at first. He can't play 3rd worth a hoot and he can't run the bases worth a hoot. He needs to go into the AL and share a play/DH spot, imo.We can get a lot for him in a trade, rightly so.

Again, pretty certain Mo will not do this.The problem with having these guys is they get played all the time regardless of their production or errors. There's no accountability with these named players until after 50 days of crap they send them down just to bring them back and slot them right back in.

I'd rather watch and lose with the young guys and take a chance you can hit the jack pot.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#255929 - 09/22/17 05:04 AM

Piscotty used to be fairly good with RISP until they screwed with his swing trying to get a "Home Run Launch Angle"

Forker is a mess now--head isn't on straight-- off balance and lunging at anything that looks close-- I guess the plan was to turn him into Grichuk

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: wuchang]
      #255931 - 09/22/17 07:49 AM

nex yrs. bunch

Only a game out on the last wildcard

Unbeeleaveable

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

Edited by fastman (09/23/17 07:22 AM)

sptsman

#255932 - 09/22/17 11:26 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Pham has proved himself all year. He is late to the bigs because of a massive list of injuries over his entire career, keeping him from consistently playing the game. Take a chance on the eye thing and stay with him unless some monster trade involves him which would not shock me that teams would want him. He NEVER lets up a second in any game.

So, let me get this straight... He breaks down a lot and he has a serious eye condition. But he has a good season at age 29 and he hustles hard like Rex Hudler used to, so bank on him as a key player on your team? Yeah, riiiiight.

No doubt he could put together another good season or two. But chronic eye issues and being injury prone are not what you want to see in a player you're going to count on for 150+ games a year.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255934 - 09/22/17 04:12 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

So, let me get this straight... He breaks down a lot and he has a serious eye condition. But he has a good season at age 29 and he hustles hard like Rex Hudler used to, so bank on him as a key player on your team? Yeah, riiiiight.

No doubt he could put together another good season or two. But chronic eye issues and being injury prone are not what you want to see in a player you're going to count on for 150+ games a year.

Phambino isn't eligible for arbitration until 2019. FS eligible 2022. If dude only has 2 more good years left, why not keep him and use him for 2 years. He costs about 600,000 a year for a guy who is gonna hit 20+ HR and bat .280+, and score 100 runs. I'll take that for $600K.

The whole damn league knows about his vision. It's. It a secret. He isn't good trade bait with his eyes. Use him and when he can't play anymore he will go away. Get the good years out of him and move on. There is plenty of talent waiting to take over. That production for $600k a years is half what the cardinals would have gotten for $24 milllion a year with Heyward. Keep Phambino for his salary alone. He makes the league minimum while Piscotty will make $7.3 million a year after next season.

--------------------

last_stand

#255937 - 09/23/17 09:00 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
No doubt he could put together another good season or two.

BINGO!

--------------------

sptsman

#255940 - 09/25/17 08:23 AM

Is it true Pham's new nickname is going to be Mr. Magoo? Tommy Pham's eyesight

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#255941 - 09/25/17 11:39 AM

I don't see how you expect the Cardinals to unload Pham when the whole damn wordl know he can't see for chit. Dude makes the league minimum. He isn't good trade bait with his eyes. Keep him. Pay him the league minimum for the 2 more years he can see and be done. I'll take a guy who hits .300 hit 20 HR and had an above average arm.

Trying to trade his ass makes no sense. He's cheap to keep

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#256119 - 10/23/17 04:29 PM

Jose Oquendo back at 3rd base. I hear LaRussa is back in the market........... Chris Bosio l, Cubs pitching coach and Arrieta both available.

--------------------

last_stand

#256120 - 10/23/17 04:53 PM

I'm sure Mo will bolster our starting 5 first since we need relief help, closer help, clean up help, defense help and get an outfield they can send out for more than 2 days in a row.

Good news on Jose's return. He didn't fork that up.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#256122 - 10/23/17 05:20 PM

Oh , hell no. Are we going to be enlightened by all you arm chair GMs for the next 7 months?

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: Bubba]
      #256124 - 10/24/17 07:04 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Oh , hell no. Are we going to be enlightened by all you arm chair GMs for the next 7 months?

Yes

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#256165 - 10/25/17 05:30 PM

Perfect!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#256179 - 10/26/17 02:33 PM

Mike Maddox is the new pitching coach. Things can only get better from where they were.

--------------------

last_stand

#256181 - 10/26/17 03:22 PM

Can't wait to see Willy back in the Lou.

All's right now except for the 2020 guy Mikey.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#256212 - 10/30/17 09:07 AM

Winning Managers Fired But Matheny is the 2020 Beloved Leader of Men

https://www.101sports.com/2017/10/27/managers-win-big-get-fired-theres-mike-matheny/

sptsman

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: wuchang]
      #256213 - 10/30/17 09:30 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Winning Managers Fired But Matheny is the 2020 Beloved Leader of Men

https://www.101sports.com/2017/10/27/managers-win-big-get-fired-theres-mike-matheny/

As much as I admire and appreciate the DeWitts, they clearly have some sort of man-crush on MM that goes beyond reason. The blind spot they have with regard to his performance is inexplicable...

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#256217 - 10/30/17 09:04 PM

MM had a video of a DeWitt family member forkin a sheep. It’s the only reasonable explanation he still has a job.

--------------------

last_stand

#256294 - 11/13/17 05:31 AM

Lots of talk about the Cards going after Stanton. More questions than answers too.

While I've heard all along Boston is the leading odds on team here wondering what we would have to give up for him? Reyes? and do they even want a Tommy John Reyes??

Another thing... he has an opt out clause after another 3 years of play. I'm wondering if he came here and ended up exercising that option it might work out to be the best thing for the Cards? Otherwise, they might have 100-120 mil down the tube at the end of this thing.

--------------------

sptsman

#256295 - 11/13/17 06:50 AM

They need a steady, reliable, solid bat. A 26 or 28 year-old Matt Holliday. Stanton is a cartoon character. He may hit 50 HR's or he may get hurt and hit 15-20. Either way the Cardinals can't take gambles like him. I think the Stanton talk is silly. I, for one, hope they don't get him. The initial price will be high and the long term price could be crippling for more than a year or two.

If they're going to pay that kind of jack, go the free agent route. Then you only get hurt on the financial side and not on the depth chart side as well. How about J.D. Martinez or Eric Hosmer? Hosmer would be the perfect fit to end the revolving door at 1st base and he's still under 30.

I'm glad I'm not the GM of the Cardinals!! then again, I'm not sure any other GM in MLB has as much "help" as a Cards GM does. Lot's of opinions...

--------------------

last_stand

#256306 - 11/14/17 03:44 PM

Always liked Carlos, a great competitor.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/carlos-beltran-astros-retirement/

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#256307 - 11/14/17 04:23 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Always liked Carlos, a great competitor.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/carlos-beltran-astros-retirement/

Thanks for the link-- great article from a great player

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5448

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page