CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Griffins Dog People Forum

Pages: 1
lying_in_wait

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Choot 'Em!

New pup
      #241719 - 01/03/14 11:03 PM

Not sure if anyone plays in this sandbox anymore since the last post was over a year ago. Hell I ain't been to this dump for some time myself. If any of you hooligans still lurk, I sure could use some help. I got a new back in September, a chocolate female with a solid bloodline out of good hunting stock.

Brandy turned 5 months old on New Year's Eve so it's time to start getting serious on training. I'd dearly love to send her off to school but that just isn't a possibility for me right now.

So far we have a good start on basic obedience. She has "sit" and "lay down" down pretty good and she has a strong desire to retrieve. She is finally house broken and kennel trained. We've made a concerted from day one to socialize her with as many other dogs and people as possible and we take her on adventures a couple of times a week.

So far she has all the makings of a fantastic duck dog but I'm kinda at the end of what I know how to do on my own. I'm struggling with "stay" right now and also with breaking her from jumping. She's hit that stage where she doesn't always want to listen and appropriate corrections are starting to have little effect. I'm worried that if we don't get a handle on it real quick and get a structured program started that things are gonna spiral out of control.

I'm looking for some suggestions on a good training program preferably on DVD but there are too many choices out there and I don't know where to begin. Not looking to train a champion or achieve perfection, just want a well behaved, obedient family dog that knows what she's doing in the duck blind and knows how to work well with other dogs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: New pup [Re: lying_in_wait]
      #241726 - 01/04/14 10:23 AM

Smartworks! The trainer is in KC area I believe , Evan Graham. If you buy his DVD program , I believe he will take calls on problem areas. Or send her to Brett Bunk. Fwlweatherfriend here on this dump.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

lying_in_wait

Re: New pup [Re: Bubba]
      #241735 - 01/04/14 08:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I spent some time googling Smartworks today. Found some sample segments from a few of his DVDs on youtube. All of the reviews I could find seemed very positive. Think I'll order the Puppy and Obedience DVDs.

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #241750 - 01/05/14 09:48 AM

Shawn -

I don't know a thing about your dog or professional like dog training for that matter, but I will say this -

If there is anybody who has the research skills, abilities to use the data from that research and the patience to progress through the steps of the training process I would say it would be you.

Good luck with the hiccups and successes along the way.

Rick

lying_in_wait

Re: New pup [Re: dabs]
      #241753 - 01/05/14 12:12 PM

Thanks Rick. I know this dawg has what it takes, I'm the one who really needs the training

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#241756 - 01/05/14 01:14 PM

Quote:

lying_in_wait said:
Thanks Rick. I know this dawg has what it takes, I'm the one who really needs the training

You just said the most important magic words to successful dog training.

Do you have any retriever clubs near by?

They will never take the place of a pro's one on one but there is usually a couple of guys that know what is what......

as long as you keep the thought that 'it is your dog and you will be the judge of what training it needs' and that it is a family dog 9 months out of the year

You can always 'cool' a hot to trot dog--- but I've never seen anyone successfully put the fire back into one

Sounds like you recognize that bad habits are worse than taking a training breather

good luck

duko™

Loc: east mo

Re: New pup [Re: wuchang]
      #241835 - 01/07/14 02:53 PM

Survey says.....

Robert Milner

duko

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: New pup [Re: duko™]
      #241841 - 01/07/14 05:34 PM

I know he is passé now with all the newfangled trainers and all .... But I trained my first 2 dawgs back in the 70s using Milners " water dog" book . Nothing fancy but it damn sure worked.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

lying_in_wait

Re: New pup [Re: Bubba]
      #241842 - 01/07/14 06:40 PM

Well I ordered a couple of the Smartworks DVDs from Evan Graham's website and a Sportdog 425 collar which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to start working with her.

FwlWeatherFriend

Loc: Pool 24, Big Lake WMA

#241923 - 01/09/14 07:04 PM

Also look at "10 Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl.

Very easy to read and follow, not a lot of technical mumbo jumbo but will produce a solid hunting dog if followed.

I really like Evan's Smartworks series as well but it can be a little technical for a first time trainer. If you go the Smartworks route use the DVD's versus the books as it is much easier for a first timer to understand the videos versus comprehending his written material.

Both are great starts though!

Uhhhhhh........I won't comment on your collar selection.....poor dog!

--------------------
Brett

www.CuivreRiverRetrievers.com

Edited by FwlWeatherFriend (01/09/14 07:05 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  OYD, hunth2ofowl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 964

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page