CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Big Screen

Pages: 1
MB2Moderator

Reged: 12/14/05

Jazz
      #243879 - 04/14/14 01:56 PM

Friday night, I went to see Diana Krall at the local theatre. I love to go watch a professional play live. The equipment that she had - both a grand and an upright player piano, and a keyboard, were pretty amazing. If you like jazz, so was her band.

She got her start at 15 years old, playing in a silent movie theatre/bowling alley, and she would play the piano to go along with all those old silent movies.

The backdrop for the concert was also an old silent movie from 1902 called "Voyage to the Moon", while most of the songs for the concert were the songs she had rescued from her Dad's old 78's from the 1920's and 30's.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

Re: Jazz [Re: MB2]
      #243890 - 04/14/14 04:36 PM

She is one of the Wu Chang Clan favorites but the Mrs isn't too keen on Diana's hubby

but I think Elvis Costello is one of the best as well

Glad you got to see her live--she is one of the best musician/singer/songwriters working today

Did she play "The Girl In The Next Room"?

MB2Moderator

Re: Jazz [Re: wuchang]
      #243904 - 04/14/14 05:47 PM

I don't remember that. We possess the same self-deprecating sense of humour, so I 'get her'. She played Glad Rag Doll, for all of the women who work so hard in chorus lines. Harder work, she said, than she's had to do, as she is a feminist.

When someone asked her to play an Elvis song, she said that she would, just as soon as one of Costello's fans asked him to play one of her tunes.

She joked about having her children in a "Rich Hippie School" in NYC, and her humble roots, and on heritage day she sent her kids with a ukulele, because that was her first instrument. Cheap and portable. And, she could fill the bathtub with gin, sing and play the ukulele, while having a dirty martini. All that, without fear of dropping a radio, in the tub.

What I do remember her playing, and I have recorded, but the quality isn't that good, is an 8 minute version of Tom Waits' "Temptation". Costello's influence on her music IS undeniable. It was an awesome show.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FowlMouth, MB2 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 120

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page