CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Turkey Forum

Pages: 1
dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
He finally connected
      #244206 - 05/04/14 10:52 AM

Took the youngest boy out this morning. He has been four times this year and the birds have not cooperated. Last year he missed three shots at a group of five jakes during the youth season and he has really been wanting to redeem himself.

Story goes like this. Been three or four gobbling to the South every morning out this year but they have been going to a strutting field across the property line a few hundred yards and then working farther West as the morning passed every time out.

There was one last Sunday that roosted across the field from us and hung up on the top of field about 250 yards from us strutting back and forth for half an hour but just would not come in.

This morning something had changed. There was only one bird vocal to the South...not sure if someone busted them up or not but either a couple of them had decided to be quiet or someone busted them up since Friday morning. I did hear one gobbling to the West about 1/2 mile occasionally but the one South of us went Southwest off the roost but didn't sound like he made it all the way to the strutting field they had been going to. He had answered a tree call I did early and then a little later I cut and yelped and he answered so I just went quiet with an occasional soft yelp or three.

Did have a hen come out early into the field at the same spot the gobbler hung up last Sunday and worked off to the East.

About 7:15 I saw a hen come out in the corner down to the South of us. I looked over and Bryce was asleep. I did a soft series of yelps and the hen froze and looked up at the two hen and jake decoys. I tapped Bryce on the leg and told him there was a hen....at that same time one popped three times behind us about 50 yards by the creek too. He said he heard it and I told him I was watching one to the South.

She stood at attention looking at the decoys for about 3 minutes and I did four soft yelps again and it relaxed her and she went to pecking on grass seeds and corn sprouts for about 15 seconds then went back to alert....she stood there for about 10 seconds and then did an about face and ran for the timber.

Something wasn't right because there is no way she saw us and there was something most definitely caused her to do that. About that time I was going to look to my left to see what Bryce was doing - Past him about 6 yards from the blind on the North was Mr. Gobbler who had came in silent...other than the three pops I guess, and was eyeballing the jake.

I whispered to Bryce - right there...gobbler. He went to get the gun and get it out the window and made just a little noise with the gun...the gobbler turned away and took a few steps straight North and the gun barrel went out the window. His head was down and I whispered to not shoot and I was going to alarm putt to get him to put his head up and before I could do that he put his head up and started to spin back around towards the decoys.

He was maybe 10 to 12 yards then and the redemption happened as soon as Bryce had a head shot....a damn fine morning to share with the youngest son.

Between 24 and 25 pounds....10 1/2" beard...1" spurs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: uphill

Re: He finally connected [Re: dabs]
      #244209 - 05/04/14 11:39 AM

Cool story

If you haven't copied it to text, do so
If you haven't printed the pictures, do so

If you haven't put together a 'journal', do so

Someday you and your kids will appreciate that you did and your grand kids and great grand kids definitely will.

sptsmanModerator

Loc: Missouri

Re: He finally connected [Re: wuchang]
      #244216 - 05/05/14 05:54 AM

Excellent!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: He finally connected [Re: sptsman]
      #244230 - 05/05/14 05:20 PM

Good for Bryce.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

MB2

Re: He finally connected [Re: Bubba]
      #244238 - 05/05/14 06:52 PM

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: He finally connected [Re: MB2]
      #244257 - 05/06/14 08:10 PM

Very nice Rick! Congrats to you and your son!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: He finally connected [Re: griffin]
      #244270 - 05/07/14 03:33 PM

Too cool, Rick ! Congrats all around.

Mac
Birding Moderator

Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

Re: He finally connected [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #244280 - 05/07/14 10:01 PM

Flat awesome Rick.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Mike

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: He finally connected [Re: Mac]
      #244283 - 05/08/14 05:33 AM

I used to be good about hunting logs of each hunt with stories and pics kept on an external drive Bill but have slacked on it for the last few years....I hope to force myself to start that again because you are right, it becomes a history book so to speak to share with generations.

He is the last boy in the house that is still a "youth"...whatever that term means. 6ft 4in and 215lbs at 14 years old. He had a track meet Friday afternoon that was the end of the year big meet. They took 1st in shot put and he came up at the of the meet and asked if he could stay at a friends house and go turkey hunting Saturday morning with his friend and another friend and his dad...it was the first time he would be hunting without me or his oldest brother and, although they are good kids and I know the dad, I didn't have a clue about their safety habits and it was pretty hard to say yeas....but I knew I would be kicked to the curb by him too as the two older ones had done the same.

Was good to be back in the woods Sunday morning and even nicer for him to say the day before wasn't the same because the others made too much noise and it was different.

Hopefully many more years of memories to come with all of them. Many of you know the boy lives baseball and is now ranked high in shot put but says none of that compares to hunting and fishing.

Dabs

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: He finally connected [Re: dabs]
      #244302 - 05/08/14 06:43 PM

Speaking of journals.....Rick , I went back thru the last 3 or 4 years of mine .Bryce has changed so much in appearance its hard to tell he is the same kid.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: He finally connected [Re: Bubba]
      #244303 - 05/08/14 07:06 PM

He has changed a bunch. Shot up in height and muscling up. I have watched them all transform from kids into teenagers and his change has been the most drastic.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  foots, sptsman, fullstrut 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 528

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page