CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Restaurant and Recipe Forum >> The Smokers Pit

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rb.

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: mo

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: sptsman]
      #244051 - 04/24/14 08:03 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I want to know who in the fork eats pork steaks without BBQ sauce of some sort. By definition that is a piss poor cut of meat. I agree with not saucing good meats but pork steaks cry out to be basted in BBQ sauce.

The story as I have heard it (many times) is that the original Schnucks brothers came up with the idea of slicing pork shoulders into "steaks" and selling them that way. Otherwise, it had to be ground up or sold as pork shoulder for much less...

When I moved to Connecticut in the mid 80's, I asked the butcher for pork steaks and he looked at me and asked if I meant pork chops. Back then, I wasn't aware that the rest of the country had no idea what pork steaks were. When I explained them to him he asked, "And you eat that...?" They're not real big on BBQ in New England. But they do damn fine seafood...

I was in Calioforia one time and the folks we were visiting wanted to bbq. I said great what are we cooking and they said steak. I said why don't we do pork steaks and they said WHAT is that. I went to a butcher shop and asked if they had some and they never heard of it. I had him cut a butt in to steaks, cooked then over charcoal and sauced the hell out of them. There were none left. Next day I took a piece I saved to the meat shop and the guy loved them and started selling them in his shop. Most of the country still doesn't know what they are.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Missouri

#244069 - 04/24/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I want to know who in the fork eats pork steaks without BBQ sauce of some sort. By definition that is a piss poor cut of meat. I agree with not saucing good meats but pork steaks cry out to be basted in BBQ sauce.

The story as I have heard it (many times) is that the original Schnucks brothers came up with the idea of slicing pork shoulders into "steaks" and selling them that way. Otherwise, it had to be ground up or sold as pork shoulder for much less...

When I moved to Connecticut in the mid 80's, I asked the butcher for pork steaks and he looked at me and asked if I meant pork chops. Back then, I wasn't aware that the rest of the country had no idea what pork steaks were. When I explained them to him he asked, "And you eat that...?" They're not real big on BBQ in New England. But they do damn fine seafood...

I eat 'em that way, Andy.

There's a kneegrow or two on here that I think would agree that they don't have to be sauced.

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #244072 - 04/25/14 03:44 AM

Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:
Haus, I guess you save all of your staunch opinions for beer, huh ?

My opinion is just that........... and everyone is entitled to it.

Dave, you know damn good and well I don't have a recipe for the trout dip. ( or for 99 % of the other chit I cook )

I'll send you what I think I remember putting in there.

Just effing post it up and quit making some sorta secret about it will ya! Iffin I ever go catch a trout for some reason, this would be handy to have.

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: foots]
      #244073 - 04/25/14 03:55 AM

Quote:

foots said:
Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:
For some strange reason, I get the hankerin' for sauce on a pork steak. It happens about once a year, and even then it can't be that sweet nasty chit.

The other 364 days a year, bb-q sauce is in the same category as steak sauce and tartar sauce. If the meat needs it, it ain't worth a chit to be begin with.

And no, I don't put sauce on ribs either.

Ribs and pulled pork never get sauce. The brisket shouldn't either. I will lather a pork steak every damn time in some BBQ sauce. I love my pork steaks that way. Right or wrong.....they get sauce. Steak sauce isn't even bought in this house.....and only Yankees use tarter sauce. A full bottle of hot sauce is kept around for the fish though.

Exactly!

Ya Ya Ya. Everyone complaining. DMR needs to expand his horizons, stuck in a rut or something. You are missing out on some good eats Brother!

I like pork steaks straight bare (more like a pork chop), sauced, and I even used a pork butt dry rub on them (rub 2 hours before cooking, if you went 24 hours ahead like a butt, its more like making bacon). They can all turn out as nice eats. Google "buck board bacon", I plan on trying to make some.

I have a great dry rub for chicken too that I am proud of, I'll dig that out and post it maybe tomorrow. I may like it more than any other way I've cooked chicken.

To me, I want something new, something differnet than yesterday, or I want what we had the other day, but I don't want that tomorrow. Give me some variety, don't lock me into the same old thing all the time.

rb.

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #244076 - 04/25/14 06:00 AM

Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

I eat 'em that way, Andy.

There's a kneegrow or two on here that I think would agree that they don't have to be sauced.

Lots of opinions on to sauce or not to sauce. I like them both ways as well espcially with a good rub on the steaks. Too bad this thread wasn't a poll, might have gotten the closet saucers out. I agree with Andy though, I do like sauce on pork steaks especially a good carolina sauce. That is all now back to bickering. Oh by the way also caught some nice trout on this trip so smoked trout spread is in the near future.

rb.

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: rb.]
      #244134 - 04/29/14 10:31 AM

I think these will make a batch of DMR's smoked trout dip. the one in the middle was a pretty good sized fish and the others were not bad. That is a full size sink they are in.

Edited by rb. (04/29/14 10:32 AM)

rb.

#244264 - 05/07/14 09:06 AM

Tried sptsmn's method with the garlic butter baste last night and it was off the charts good. Used a little rub and salt and pepper on the meat, browned it over the fire and then indirect. Basted off an on. It was a whole bird and a big one so cut it up. The meat was done perfect and the skin was like chicken skin potato chips it was so crispy. Here's a pic before the carnage.

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

#245007 - 07/06/14 02:34 PM

Where's the forkin wishbone

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

SwampFox

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: redleg]
      #245011 - 07/06/14 08:32 PM

Or the back? The back and tail are the best parts of a chicken.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: SwampFox]
      #245016 - 07/07/14 07:38 PM

Mmmmm ... Dayum that looks like you did it right. And just so you know, that garlic butter soaked skin is fat and calorie free, if you get it a little crispy...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

rb.

#245054 - 07/10/14 05:19 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Mmmmm ... Dayum that looks like you did it right. And just so you know, that garlic butter soaked skin is fat and calorie free, if you get it a little crispy...

Don't know if was fat free but it was really crunchy just like fried. My dad did it that way all the time and I just got away from that method. Now its back on the list.

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#245114 - 07/15/14 09:27 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Sometimes simplicity is best

My go to method is cut up chicken and/or leg quarters. Trim the excess fat and skin. Get the coals on the Weber to medium heat. Lightly pepper the chicken on both sides Put the chicken on for about 2-3 mins on each side then start the garlic-butter basting. I coat the each side every time I turn it and I turn it every 4-5 mins until you see the meat by the bone start to pull away, usually about 35-45 mins (depending upon fire heat, chicken piece sizes, lid on or off most of the time, etc...). The chicken on the inside is moist and cooked to perfection. The skin is crispy but not burnt and has a garlic butter flavor that will make you want to smack your mama!!

The garlic butter baste is just a stick of butter, a stick of margarine (cooks better on the skin and less scorching, if you get a fire) and garlic powder to the extent you like it. Heat it on the stove top slowly (whilst coals are getting hot). The only time this is a biatch is when it is cold outside. It tends to want to go back to it's solid form... Since I grille 12 months a year, I tend to reserve this method for warm weather, where I can leave the garlic butter baste outside for the whole process...

Try it sometime...

I'm gonna try that but no way with margarine....like all I need is more butter in my life.

Another great way for grilled chicken is to whip up a few egg whites, 12 oz of beer and 2 or more tablespoons of derkees and dip as you cook accordingly. Pretty tasty.

As for sauce hell yes....a few meats are made for it. I get it by the gallon from a local couple and with just a shot of bourbon on top it's killer good.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

rb.

Re: Chicken the old fashion way [Re: last_stand]
      #245141 - 07/19/14 08:59 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Sometimes simplicity is best

My go to method is cut up chicken and/or leg quarters. Trim the excess fat and skin. Get the coals on the Weber to medium heat. Lightly pepper the chicken on both sides Put the chicken on for about 2-3 mins on each side then start the garlic-butter basting. I coat the each side every time I turn it and I turn it every 4-5 mins until you see the meat by the bone start to pull away, usually about 35-45 mins (depending upon fire heat, chicken piece sizes, lid on or off most of the time, etc...). The chicken on the inside is moist and cooked to perfection. The skin is crispy but not burnt and has a garlic butter flavor that will make you want to smack your mama!!

The garlic butter baste is just a stick of butter, a stick of margarine (cooks better on the skin and less scorching, if you get a fire) and garlic powder to the extent you like it. Heat it on the stove top slowly (whilst coals are getting hot). The only time this is a biatch is when it is cold outside. It tends to want to go back to it's solid form... Since I grille 12 months a year, I tend to reserve this method for warm weather, where I can leave the garlic butter baste outside for the whole process...

Try it sometime...

I'm gonna try that but no way with margarine....like all I need is more butter in my life.

Another great way for grilled chicken is to whip up a few egg whites, 12 oz of beer and 2 or more tablespoons of derkees and dip as you cook accordingly. Pretty tasty.

As for sauce hell yes....a few meats are made for it. I get it by the gallon from a local couple and with just a shot of bourbon on top it's killer good.

You could probably use olive oil instead of butter. I made some more the other night with bone in thighs. Used real butter and minced garlic. Cook the garlic in the butter and basted every time the chicken was turned. Turned out great with crispy skin. Haven't used bbq sauce since I started using the garlic butter.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5685

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page