CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Lodging and Restaurant Forum >> Great Recipes

Pages: 1
rb.

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: mo

Mater sauce
      #245251 - 07/31/14 06:20 AM

Got one of those crank type sauce/salsa mills the other day and made up 30 lbs of maters into sauce. Not one seed or piece of skin in the sauce. Pretty much all of the juice and pulp comes out the strainer and seeds and skin get pushed out the front. Now I have to get the salsa screen.

Edited by rb. (07/31/14 06:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

Re: Mater sauce [Re: rb.]
      #245279 - 08/01/14 12:41 PM

Where'd you get that press and how much was it? Fixin to make some spaghetti sauce and aint fond of that corein, peelin, and seedin buhlsh1t?

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

rb.

Re: Mater sauce [Re: foots]
      #245281 - 08/01/14 12:57 PM

Got it on amazon. Here's a link to it sauce maker

It's a neat deal and I did the thirty pounds in no time. There were no seeds or skin in the sauce, only juice and pulp. After the first pressing you run the tailings through again and get more out of them. The salsa screen is extra but you can go on the company's website and buy one separately for about sixteen bucks.

foots
the exterminator

#245282 - 08/01/14 01:21 PM

Thanks bro.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

rb.

#245283 - 08/01/14 01:48 PM

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you if you get one. I sure like the one I have.

rb.

#245364 - 08/07/14 05:21 PM

Picked a 5 gallon bucket of maters today and ran them through the tomato mill. wife is ooking down about 2.5 gallons of sauce in her 3 gal stock pot. did you get one foots?

foots
the exterminator

#245365 - 08/07/14 06:09 PM

Just showed up today. Ibe mashin some maters tomorrow, right after I mash a hornets nest.

--------------------

rb.

#245371 - 08/08/14 06:17 AM

You won't believe how easy that thing is to operate. Here's a tip, to clean the screen get a soft bristle bottle brush. I didn't have one the first time and it took forever, Yesterday cleaned it up in no time with the brush.

foots
the exterminator

#245388 - 08/08/14 04:10 PM

What a difference $50.00 makes. Still it was worth it..........if I live another 8 years that is. Thanks for the tip rb.

--------------------

rb.

#245389 - 08/08/14 04:18 PM

It really does make a huge difference especially if you have as many as we do. I think I am going to get the salsa screen next.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#245412 - 08/11/14 09:14 AM

Anybody use the salsa insert? I just finished 8 pints of salsa and peeling the maters sucks!! I would much prefer to crank and handle and get the goods!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

rb.

Re: Mater sauce [Re: sptsman]
      #245444 - 08/12/14 10:14 AM

I don't have one but I think we are going to get one for next season. If it works as good as the sauce screen it will be worth it.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#245959 - 09/03/14 09:23 PM

Water bath your maters for a minute and then have your kids get off their iPhone for 30 minutes and make them peel the maters for you. Problem solved. Then you can have chunky salsa that you also make them chop into pieces instead of having a puree type salsa. If the kids biatch about it, beat them with the $50 machine.

I'm thinking for the red sauce....this is gonna be the way to go. Looks like I need to be placing an order also.

rb........the skins have a ton of value in them for thick sauce and paste also. Its where all the natural pectin is at in the mater. We cooked down our skins this year, ran them through a mill and a screen and got a thick juice to add to soups or chili. Might wanna try it instead of just tossing out the skins. If you keep cooking it down you get a paste that you can freeze in cup portions in freezer bags.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

rb.

Re: Mater sauce [Re: H2ODOG]
      #245964 - 09/04/14 08:24 AM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Water bath your maters for a minute and then have your kids get off their iPhone for 30 minutes and make them peel the maters for you. Problem solved. Then you can have chunky salsa that you also make them chop into pieces instead of having a puree type salsa. If the kids biatch about it, beat them with the $50 machine.

I'm thinking for the red sauce....this is gonna be the way to go. Looks like I need to be placing an order also.

rb........the skins have a ton of value in them for thick sauce and paste also. Its where all the natural pectin is at in the mater. We cooked down our skins this year, ran them through a mill and a screen and got a thick juice to add to soups or chili. Might wanna try it instead of just tossing out the skins. If you keep cooking it down you get a paste that you can freeze in cup portions in freezer bags.

I run the skin back through the mill until they are dry with nothing left in them. I agree not to waste them but from 20 lbs. of mater I had about two cups of dry skin and seeds left.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  swampy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 487

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page