CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Nascar - The Replacement for the WWE

Pages: 1
dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Well Suze....
      #245398 - 08/10/14 09:18 AM

You got the door to the basement locked so I can't come down and ask you but I am in interested on your take on Tony.

Should he have even been there?
Was it just a tragic event?
Should a season Nascar level driver been able to avoid such a tragedy if other drivers in front of him managed to avoid the hot - headed driver?
With this in his mind will he ever contend again on the big track?
Will my sammiches be ready by Noon?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MB2

Reged: 12/14/05

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: dabs]
      #245400 - 08/10/14 02:33 PM

There is nothing that I'm saying here, that I haven't said any other place.

Things happen tremendously fast in this sport, too fast at times, and I looked at all the footage.

If you're reading what 'popular opinion' from 'fans' think about what 'race fans' have told us here, about how to improve the sport and get 'more people in the stands to watch on a weekly basis'. "Make it more exciting!" they said. "These kids today, are spoiled, rich, pansies!" they said. "They're not athletes. It's just driving a car." As a matter of fact, it's been a running theme, for as long I've been around this and other 'dumps'.

First of all, it's tragic, that I didn't know of this young man, BEFORE last night. His family has a lot of dark days ahead of them, and because I'm from a racing family too, I understand that they might never forgive Stewart for this, but the essence of forgiveness it that they will need to forgive themselves first, for putting him in the car. You just don't strap someone into a racing harness, without making a conscience decision to do so. He had been racing since the age of four, and they, like we, know that there are real dangers here. I mean, it's not like any of us, sat down, drinks a gallon of Jack, then decides to go racing that day. In real life, you work on the car all week, to make it as competitive, as it can be, with the tools and money you have, and you sure as hell don't give it to any redneck to 'crash' to make it exciting for the fans, so that tracks bring in more fans.

What happens in these cases, as was the case last year too many times is a set of circumstances, designed to appease 'popular opinion' that says, "Racing isn't exciting any longer, so we have to force it to be, in order to get fans in the grandstands." And, tracks and promoters find that the simplest way to do this is, supply the equivalent of a horse racing mechanical bunny.

Enter Tony Stewart, Kasey Khane, or anyone who isn't contractually obligated singularly to run in a professional series.

Tracks and promoters hire them for their appearances, to bring in fans.

But, the chemistry of what actually happens is instead of these professional drivers becoming 'mechanical unknown bunnies', they are a moving human TARGET. There isn't a single driver, owner, crew member or car sponsor, in the ENTIRE field who isn't, gunning to beat them. Trust me, EVERYONE wants to be able to say they beat the best, or one of the best. Why? Because it's the fastest, most efficient way to advance your racing career. It's part of the racing ego, and it's not for the faint of heart, because you try at all costs, and by any means possible. It's about bragging rights, for a lifetime.

And, so the tracks and promoters set up an extremely dangerous situation, for all involved, just to put 'fans' in the grandstands now. To FORCE popularity. It's not working so well, is it? NO. He shouldn't have been there, but that IS part of the FREEDOM that he enjoys, being self-employed.

Out of court, and without a conviction, Stewart will always be know as "THAT guy, who killed that kid." And, by the looks of this, the family will next be gunning for a civil suit. I, on the other hand, don't know what Tony saw on the track. Remember, this young man was dressed in a black firesuit and black helmet. I've never been to this track, and so I can't vouch for their lighting system, I just know it wasn't Charlotte Motor Speedway, designed to light the track for televised night races. Stewart has some of the best eye/hand/foot coordination in all of motorsports, as witnessed by his wins in many differing series, on many differing tracks, under Chase and Non-Chase rules. Is there any doubt in my mind he did all he could to avoid this tragedy? NO. He wouldn't have intentionally done this. This is the very nature of open-wheel racing, where until 3 years ago and Dan Wheldon's death, I'd never seen an Indycar race stopped. Did you think I was kidding you when I said it was infinitely more dangerous than FENDERCAR? Those axles and tires extend beyond the bodywork, causing different kinds of dangers.

It is also my contention that Stewart SHOULD have raced today. This is part of the mindset that is racing. Tragically, we would never have known about this accident, or this young man's name, had Stewart not been involved in this accident. Should he have raced today, it would have brought MORE gravity to NASCAR fans, who think that, simply by their numbers, OWN this sport, and dictate through the media, the RIGHT way to run it. By racing today, and bringing the events of this accident to light, it would only bring more mechanical engineers, and safety rules to the Sprint Car Series, just as Stewart already has, following his accidents in previous years.

Lest 'ye not forget, that until Earnhardt's death, there were minimal advancements in NASCAR safety. Had this young man been my driver, or loved one, I'd want improvements, to ensure that others might be a little safer, in the future.

Tony will drive again. He's not a hero, he's not a villain, if you haven't seen just how incredibly quickly these tragic things happen, then you simply don't have any idea how little control you have in this big, old world.

But, then, as a firefighter, I suspect you might.....

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: MB2]
      #245411 - 08/11/14 09:09 AM

NASCAR and all racing needs events like this once in while. It is the sad price that has to be paid to keep fans coming. Everyone knows that one of the lures is the element of danger. If nobody ever gets hurt or killed, is it really dangerous? Dale E's death was predictable and so was this kid's. So is the next one that will happen next week, next month or next year. Nobody is sure where or when exactly but it is going to happen again. NASCAR has set it up this way.

NASCAR is no different than any of the other Entertainment sport. They drive what the leagues and "players" below them do. When it was all the rage to throw your helmet at the other car and try to fight the other drivers, NASCAR and Tony Stewart embraced it and we saw all kinds of tough guy routines. This kid was just doing what he saw as the way things are done. He was going to get some face time on TV and be able to tell everyone he took on Tony Stewart. Instead, he got a face full of grille and a trip to the morgue.

Tony Stewart didn't hit that kid on purpose but he sure has heck was a big part in why he got out of his car and tried to fight. How many incidents like that has TS been involved with? And what has NASCAR done to put an end to it? Case closed...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

MB2

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: sptsman]
      #245423 - 08/11/14 11:07 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
NASCAR and all racing needs events like this once in while. It is the sad price that has to be paid to keep fans coming. Everyone knows that one of the lures is the element of danger. If nobody ever gets hurt or killed, is it really dangerous? Dale E's death was predictable and so was this kid's. So is the next one that will happen next week, next month or next year. Nobody is sure where or when exactly but it is going to happen again. NASCAR has set it up this way.

I'm glad you have inside information as to how NASCAR is hurting and killing off competitors, on purpose.

NASCAR is no different than any of the other Entertainment sport. They drive what the leagues and "players" below them do. When it was all the rage to throw your helmet at the other car and try to fight the other drivers, NASCAR and Tony Stewart embraced it and we saw all kinds of tough guy routines. This kid was just doing what he saw as the way things are done. He was going to get some face time on TV and be able to tell everyone he took on Tony Stewart. Instead, he got a face full of grille and a trip to the morgue.

Right off the bat, and once again, this wasn't a NASCAR sanctioned race. The video, shows that Stewart did NOT have on track
contact with this young man. So, why would Stewart take any retaliatory action? Clearly, he didn't.

Tony Stewart didn't hit that kid on purpose but he sure has heck was a big part in why he got out of his car and tried to fight. How many incidents like that has TS been involved with? And what has NASCAR done to put an end to it? Case closed...

Once again, you are talking about NASCAR exerting some control over racing in which it has no financial interest, input into rules and regulations, and drivers which they do NOT control. Tony Stewart is one of the few drivers in NASCAR who writes his own ticket, as he is a self-employed free agent. He's not contractually bound, to an owner, as he is his own car owner. I am suspecting that Haas (his business partner) made him back away from driving yesterday, not NASCAR. As I said, there are is a civil suit brewing here, one that is being played out right now, online, because the determination of guilt is much lower in civil cases, and Stewart has money, but YOU don't have a clue what Tony was thinking, at the time this kid got wrapped in his axle. Drivers endangering themselves and others by walking on poorly lit tracks, happen every week at non-NASCAR sanctioned short tracks, and the only thing it does is raise the price of track liability insurance, to the point that tracks close. Nobody wins then. No drivers, and no yahoo spectators.

To say that Tony Stewart's previous actions are detrimental to the sport, is a cop-out. He is a track owner, and a mentor to many of these kids. It's only your perception that he's going to get backed by NASCAR, or has a player's association on his side, like other big league sports - he doesn't. If NASCAR was interested in improving their own show, they should have replaced the ARMCO barriers at the Glen before yesterday, so that those who have the attention span of a knat, might have stayed tuned in.

It's a crappy deal, all the way around. I have seen guys who have hit and killed other drivers, just walk away from the sport, even when, it wasn't their fault. Life can change in a split second.

There is just one thing. Each and every time you sign into the pits, just like Tony Stewart, everyone signs a comprehensive waiver of liability to indemnify the track, officials, and all other competitors from liability and prosecution, and this young man would have had to execute one too. The only ones who win here, will be lawyers.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#245431 - 08/11/14 07:47 PM

I would like car racing a lot more if everyone who jumped out of their car and went after someone in a moving car got ran over. What an idiot.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

MB2

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: griffin]
      #245440 - 08/12/14 07:30 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
I would like car racing a lot more if everyone who jumped out of their car and went after someone in a moving car got ran over. What an idiot.

griffin

I can take you back, a long way here. What I learned in real life, when and why, and this is specifically for Griffin, because, I know what his dream is right now. It's to be the BEST, and my knowledge of cycling, or triathlon is limited, MINIMAL at best, but all racing has the same mindset.

In, I believe 1966, my Father's best friend was driving a car for another team. Even as I sit here today, a half century later, my old man will say to me:

"Do you remember ANY of this nostalgic crap between teams that they talk about today on T.V.? Those other drivers and crews were the ones I was there to beat! We never approached another opposing team in the pits without a wrench in our hand. I sure as hell don't remember helping them, and they sure as hell didn't help me." And, I'll say, "No, Dad, I don't remember this nostalgic stuff. We had families and kids that were friends, as long as you were on the same TEAM, but if a team split up, you kept your distance from opposing teams, and stayed with your Dad's team, and the family members of his team." We were cordial, mostly, to everyone, and frankly, quite frosty to others, because every weekend, you wanted to beat them, and they wanted to beat you, and sure enough, sometimes the likes of Mario Andretti, the Bodine Brothers, Ken Schrader, Darrel Waltrip, and others, might be among the competitors, but this was long before REAL fame, and REAL money, and REAL sponsorship, REAL jealousy, 24 hour sports TV Channels, and most importantly, the internet.

What the media is selling, is revisionist history, a bunch of touchy-feely bull.

So, I'm going to take you back to the story of my Dad's best friend, who drove on an opposing team around 1966:

In a heat race, at a US track, my Dad's friend, came out of the fourth turn. The race was 'nothing special', just a run of the mill, weekend race. This is when officials didn't necessarily have a starter's stand, and the flagman entered the racing surface, that's when my Dad's friend clipped him with his front tire of an open-wheel car. My Mom's first instinct was to cover my eyes with her hand, but I still saw the flagman get tossed way up in the air, like a rag doll, and maybe 60' down the track. At the time, drivers and crews never signed those long legal documents, and one thing for SURE, women weren't allowed in the pits, because we were considered ONLY a distraction. The prognosis was, that the flagman, would survive, but that he would be in a wheelchair for life. The very next order of business though was to get my Dad's friend, back across the border, because the flagman could sue him in court for everything he owned, had police been able to serve him court papers in the US. My Dad's friend got back home to Canada, and never raced again. Except for probably a little blurb in a hometown newspaper, the ACCIDENT, would go largely unreported, there were no videos, only eye-witness accounts that would have had to been retold in a courtroom. We all watched for years later, as flagman continued to run out onto racing surfaces, and most prevalent in the highest form of motorsport, F-1 racing. Stupid, huh?

About five years later, when my Dad's driver died, his best friend's son & daughter were sitting right next to me, during that accident. His friend's family and ours became even closer, because, my Dad gave up racing for a long while, and his friend understood what it was like to have to quit, something that we all LOVED. I was a pallbearer at his wife's funeral, and despite the years and distance, our families are still friends.

--------------------

Now, you're going to ask me, what this has to do with Griffin. First of all, we're not bitter, or litigious about anything that happened. Sad, sometimes, reflective most times, but realistic. We found other things in our lives, eventually. Tough times don't last, tough people do. But, more than anything if you have the heart and soul of a racer, it never goes away. First you'll be chasing that bunny (the best), then you WILL be the bunny, and people will be gunning for YOU. I could care less if Lance Armstrong was juiced or pumped full of oxygen, I'd still want to beat HIM. It's something quite inexplicable to those who have never experienced the equivalence of doing 300 kilometers per hour on a freeway, and what we call "The blood-red mist", the adrenaline pump, it's damn addictive, without performance enhancing drugs. So, you want to be a racer, but you want to do it on your OWN terms. You don't do things Lance's way, or Tony Stewart's way, you do things your OWN way, and this is real, real hard to get through to teenagers, but your Mom & Dad aren't holding you back, they are reining you IN, because when you ARE the bunny, THEN you're going to find out who your REAL friends are. I know that your Dad at least has experience with extraordinary things happening quickly, and a cop's intuition about people, learn to trust him and your Mom. And, when you ARE that bunny, Mom & Dad, your sisters and Cody, will STILL be there. Otherwise, it may require that you close off your soul to new people in your life, because people can't always be TRUSTED with your future. This cost exists in real life, in the media, and on the internet, but, it doesn't last forever, you will find a place and time for them. But, right NOW you are standing on the edge of greatness, amongst the world's finest, and that may never come again. Go for it, right NOW!

sptsman

#245442 - 08/12/14 09:56 AM

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
I'm glad you have inside information as to how NASCAR is hurting and killing off competitors, on purpose.

I have no inside information but I am not a blind loyalist and I can see what is happening, right in front on me, without the prejudiced view of the people that are part of this circus.

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Right off the bat, and once again, this wasn't a NASCAR sanctioned race. The video, shows that Stewart did NOT have on track
contact with this young man. So, why would Stewart take any retaliatory action? Clearly, he didn't.

Who cares if it NASCAR sanctioned or not? It is racing and they all follow the lead of the big dog. Watch any sport below the level of the NBA, MLB, NHL or NFL and you'll see the same thing. They emulate what they see and all want to be like Mike. This is not new or unique. It is the way it has been for years. Sanctioned or not, related or not, it simply doesn't matter. NASCAR is driving the bus!!

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:Once again, you are talking about NASCAR exerting some control over racing in which it has no financial interest, input into rules and regulations, and drivers which they do NOT control. Tony Stewart is one of the few drivers in NASCAR who writes his own ticket, as he is a self-employed free agent. He's not contractually bound, to an owner, as he is his own car owner. I am suspecting that Haas (his business partner) made him back away from driving yesterday, not NASCAR. As I said, there are is a civil suit brewing here, one that is being played out right now, online, because the determination of guilt is much lower in civil cases, and Stewart has money, but YOU don't have a clue what Tony was thinking, at the time this kid got wrapped in his axle. Drivers endangering themselves and others by walking on poorly lit tracks, happen every week at non-NASCAR sanctioned short tracks, and the only thing it does is raise the price of track liability insurance, to the point that tracks close. Nobody wins then. No drivers, and no yahoo spectators.

TS will settle this little mess before it ever goes to court. Nobody's rates will go up even $1 because it will never be a claim. The kids family will be told this one will be hard to win and TS will be told by his lawyers it will be best to give them a million or two and get the necessary releases. Everyone will avoid the bad PR and it will just go away.

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:To say that Tony Stewart's previous actions are detrimental to the sport, is a cop-out. He is a track owner, and a mentor to many of these kids. It's only your perception that he's going to get backed by NASCAR, or has a player's association on his side, like other big league sports - he doesn't. If NASCAR was interested in improving their own show, they should have replaced the ARMCO barriers at the Glen before yesterday, so that those who have the attention span of a knat, might have stayed tuned in.

I guess you're right, TS's actions aren't detrimental to the sport. In fact, the sport is gaining substantially from his actions. That includes his multiple fights on and off the track and now he can notch his belt with a 20 year-old kid dead. Just what did anyone with half a brain expect would happen when you do this sort of thing enough times?

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:There is just one thing. Each and every time you sign into the pits, just like Tony Stewart, everyone signs a comprehensive waiver of liability to indemnify the track, officials, and all other competitors from liability and prosecution, and this young man would have had to execute one too. The only ones who win here, will be lawyers.

Talk to any first year law student or the most seasoned trial lawyer. They will all tell you the same thing; those waivers getting signed are strictly dog & pony shows. They have all the legal weight of toilet paper. If you think for one second they indemnify anyone, I have bridge and some swampland to sell you. The good news for that kid's family is he wasn't hit by Bubba at the trailer park. They hit the jackpot. He got hit by a guy that can write a 7 digit check, without batting an eye.

Pontificate all you want. This crap is all about getting fans in the seats and doing WHATEVER it takes to make that happen. It is hard to feign outrage when the behavior that led to this kid's death has been tolerated and even encouraged over the past few years. Can you really not see how they have gone down this dangerous path and helped build this culture?

If NASCAR or any other racing organization wanted to make racing safer it would take a meeting of about 1 hour to make some real simple rules:

1.) You get out of your car on a track, before being instructed to do so by an official (exceptions for cars on fire or going into a lake), you are banned for life. Think anyone will get out of their car?
2.) You get into a physical altercation on the property of the race track, you are banned for life.
3.) No more yellow flags. ALL incidents are red flags and all cars must come to a complete stop as soon as possible. Violate this and you are banned for life.

There are just three that would have saved dozens of lives over the past few years. I'm sure smart folks could come up with a dozen more. But that isn't what NASCAR or any racing organization wants.

--------------------

MB2

#245445 - 08/12/14 10:32 AM

There is no need to pontificate anything here. There was an 'out of car' confrontation at my home track, this past Saturday night.

The exact same thing that started it all, will end it all, until, someone finds another way to race, without sponsorship money.
--------------------------------

"Tony Stewart’s sponsors appear to be taking a wait-and-see attitude after the three-time Sprint Cup champ struck and killed another driver Saturday night.
But a marketing expert told The Post on Monday that it’s likely only a matter of time before they start jumping ship, even if Stewart is never criminally prosecuted.
A rep for Coca-Cola, one of Stewart’s 21 sponsors, only said Monday: “We are aware of the tragedy that took place over the weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Kevin Ward Jr. and with Tony Stewart.”
The manufacturer of the leading soft drink — NASCAR’s official sparkling beverage since 1998 – stopped short of promising that its sponsorship of Stewart wouldn’t change.
“We haven’t made a decision about our plans,” the rep said.
Chevy also declined to elaborate beyond a few words provided by a vice president, Jim Campbell.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Kevin Ward Jr.,” Campbell said. “This is a sad and tragic event.”
Code 3 Associates, a non-profit whose work includes animal-disaster rescues, features Stewart on its Web site.
“Code 3 Associates extends our hearts and thoughts to the Ward family during these trying and tragic times. Our thoughts and continued support are also with Tony Stewart,” it said.
While expressions of loyalty from Stewart’s impressive array of blue-chip sponsors must be comforting, sports marketer Ben Sturner predicted that many would ultimately leave the racing champ.
“I think they’ll wait a bit,” said Sturner, who runs the New York-based Leverage Agency and believes contractual issues could delay the anticipated exodus.
But “blue-chip sponsors are going to have real issues” with what happened on the dirt track in Canandaigua, he said.
Sturner even expects some sponsors to invoke “morals clauses” likely contained in their endorsement agreements with Stewart.
These clauses spell out unacceptable behavior for an endorser associated with a brand.
And it doesn’t have to be criminal behavior, either.

Nike, Oakley and Trek all abandoned Tour de France fraud Lance Armstrong before he admitted to doping, and sponsors faded from “Blade Runner” Oscar Pistorius even before his murder trial began.
Much will depend on the results of the police investigation, experts said. The degree to which video of the horrific accident goes viral also could play a role, they said.
The exit of sponsors would be a blow to Stewart-Haas Racing, which features Stewart and three other Nascar racers.
Forbes valued the team at $148 million in February 2014, making it Nascar’s fourth most valuable franchise."

----------------------------

Like I said, the entire concept of putting a rabbit out there, is a recipe for disaster for all, because NOTHING has to be proved. Tony is ALREADY "THAT guy, who killed that kid."

sptsman

#245499 - 08/15/14 12:03 PM

Hmmmm looks like NASCAR may have felt a little heat for their casual approach to fights on the track. This just showed up on ESPN:

Rule change: drivers can't get out of car

Who would have guessed that would happen?

Now wait and see. Every dirt and short track in America will adopt this rule. And the ones that don't will be advised by their attorney's and their insurance carriers to continue at their own risk...

As NASCAR goes, so goes the racing world...

--------------------

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#245686 - 08/22/14 04:07 PM

Wait a minute....I wanna hear more about griffin and the bunnies.

bwaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

MB2

Re: Well Suze.... *DELETED* [Re: last_stand]
      #245710 - 08/24/14 05:41 AM

Post deleted by MB2

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#245714 - 08/24/14 10:04 AM

Jeez.... I almost had to break out the Dramamine after watching that video

Doesn't anyone use a stabilized video camera or know how to pan and zoom smoothly??

MB2

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: wuchang]
      #245724 - 08/24/14 05:02 PM

Not most folks with an iphone, but then there's no rules saying anyone can't use one to take a photo of you anywhere. They can take them at a race track, music festival or soccer field, where a 15 year old girl died here last month when the goal post fell on her. You know, it would almost pass as being a joke in here, if I knew what race she was. Or, that if soccer wasn't so pitifully boring, except for the race riots following games. As if the world needs some more.

Here you go, a short history written by historians, about the history of engineering at Oswego. If you haven't been following, the driver of the car above is Ryan Coniam, his father, Warren Coniam (mentioned in this video) drove for my Dad, but more specifically the car above was built by Clyde Booth also mentioned in the video. Clyde managed Darrell Waltrip's NASCAR team, after Waltrip split from Hendrick's team. Nope, he doesn't follow anyone either.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=oswe...BC8C590BF739F2D

MB2

#245725 - 08/24/14 05:13 PM

Oh, yeah, I saw John Spencer last weekend too. He races bikes now. He's probably in his mid 60's now.

sptsman

#245743 - 08/25/14 09:52 AM

Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaa

Hang on. You know sportsman is the same guy quoting ESPN over and over, just like ESPN played the video Ward Jr.'s death over and over. Now Lance is back in the news with his narcisstic personality disorder, and no one believes him either. bwaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was at two different tracks last weekend and watched three different sanctioning bodies run clean races, midgets, modifieds and supermodifieds. No drivers exited their cars during caution laps, despite the fact that when you immediately shut down a big block engine running on methanol, you run a larger risk of fire that you can't see. Often times, I've seen cars on fire that the drivers are unaware of, and other drivers stop their cars, to extract them from the cars.

I am by far, no dirt track racing specialist, because, I don't understand where the line is to run on the tracks, I don't understand car set-ups. I've been to enough dirt track races, we have friends who own a dirt track, it's just not my thing. What I do understand is 'the classes of cars', how they differ, and WHY.

This is the young man's car we went to see race. THIS is a pure race car, not a STOCK car. This is a supermodified, sanctioned ONLY to run the International Super Modified Association series. It has a 467 cu. inch engine, pushing between 850 & 870 horses. It has a roof wing that works on a shock that lays down flat to the roof on the straights, then returns to its upright position in the corners. It has independent front suspension. These are the most powerful short track PAVEMENT oval cars, in the world.

This car, is ILLEGAL to run the Labour Day Classic 200 lapper at Oswego, for two reasons.

1) It has a wing. It has ALWAYS been the track's stance that fans wish to see the drivers from the stands, drive these cars, AND, the wings inhibit the driver's view. Take a look at this photo. If you don't 'get' that these wings cause an obstructed view, I have more.

2) Independent front suspension is outlawed at Oswego, not only as an advantage to drivers, but as a cost limiting measure, to keep car owners happy.
In conjunction with ISMA, these cars will run a support race before The Classic, but this particular car will NOT be in The Classic itself.

In conjunction with the Oswego Speedway, another support race will take place, for SMALL block supermodifieds. They have NO wing, LESS power, NO offset engines, and different c*ckpit. This is a beginners series for drivers and owners, and feeds the track new talent.

------------------------

What's this got to do with Ward Jr.'s death? Pavement cars drive through corners, largely assisted by advancements in steering, wing, engine and tire stagger. One of the men who went with me Friday night used to spend the ENTIRE month of May at Indianapolis, balancing race car tires for Bear Alignment, until they went out of business.

Dirt cars, back into corners, and wings obstruct a driver's view, as they do on pavement also.

This is a video of drivers with UNOBSTRUCTED views. It's got nothing to do with NA$CAR. If tracks and sanctioning bodies wanted to slow THESE cars down, for those who are faint of heart, they'd pull the wings off of them, just as Oswego Speedway always has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92fPVsAh2S8

Frankly, the BEST quote I heard all weekend from a racer on the subject of Ward Jr., was the answer to this question, cut short by a car owner.

Question: "Have you been following?...."

Answer: "I never follow anyone."

If you don't get it, read it again.

I made it halfway through the 2nd paragraph and realized it was more ramblings that I could not understand, even with my decoder ring on its highest setting... So I looked at the picture, watched about 15 seconds of the bad video and realized I will never get that time back... Ever.

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #245786 - 08/26/14 07:56 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

MissBudweiser said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaa

Hang on. You know sportsman is the same guy quoting ESPN over and over, just like ESPN played the video Ward Jr.'s death over and over. Now Lance is back in the news with his narcisstic personality disorder, and no one believes him either. bwaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was at two different tracks last weekend and watched three different sanctioning bodies run clean races, midgets, modifieds and supermodifieds. No drivers exited their cars during caution laps, despite the fact that when you immediately shut down a big block engine running on methanol, you run a larger risk of fire that you can't see. Often times, I've seen cars on fire that the drivers are unaware of, and other drivers stop their cars, to extract them from the cars.

I am by far, no dirt track racing specialist, because, I don't understand where the line is to run on the tracks, I don't understand car set-ups. I've been to enough dirt track races, we have friends who own a dirt track, it's just not my thing. What I do understand is 'the classes of cars', how they differ, and WHY.

This is the young man's car we went to see race. THIS is a pure race car, not a STOCK car. This is a supermodified, sanctioned ONLY to run the International Super Modified Association series. It has a 467 cu. inch engine, pushing between 850 & 870 horses. It has a roof wing that works on a shock that lays down flat to the roof on the straights, then returns to its upright position in the corners. It has independent front suspension. These are the most powerful short track PAVEMENT oval cars, in the world.

This car, is ILLEGAL to run the Labour Day Classic 200 lapper at Oswego, for two reasons.

1) It has a wing. It has ALWAYS been the track's stance that fans wish to see the drivers from the stands, drive these cars, AND, the wings inhibit the driver's view. Take a look at this photo. If you don't 'get' that these wings cause an obstructed view, I have more.

2) Independent front suspension is outlawed at Oswego, not only as an advantage to drivers, but as a cost limiting measure, to keep car owners happy.
In conjunction with ISMA, these cars will run a support race before The Classic, but this particular car will NOT be in The Classic itself.

In conjunction with the Oswego Speedway, another support race will take place, for SMALL block supermodifieds. They have NO wing, LESS power, NO offset engines, and different c*ckpit. This is a beginners series for drivers and owners, and feeds the track new talent.

------------------------

What's this got to do with Ward Jr.'s death? Pavement cars drive through corners, largely assisted by advancements in steering, wing, engine and tire stagger. One of the men who went with me Friday night used to spend the ENTIRE month of May at Indianapolis, balancing race car tires for Bear Alignment, until they went out of business.

Dirt cars, back into corners, and wings obstruct a driver's view, as they do on pavement also.

This is a video of drivers with UNOBSTRUCTED views. It's got nothing to do with NA$CAR. If tracks and sanctioning bodies wanted to slow THESE cars down, for those who are faint of heart, they'd pull the wings off of them, just as Oswego Speedway always has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92fPVsAh2S8

Frankly, the BEST quote I heard all weekend from a racer on the subject of Ward Jr., was the answer to this question, cut short by a car owner.

Question: "Have you been following?...."

Answer: "I never follow anyone."

If you don't get it, read it again.

I made it halfway through the 2nd paragraph and realized it was more ramblings that I could not understand, even with my decoder ring on its highest setting... So I looked at the picture, watched about 15 seconds of the bad video and realized I will never get that time back... Ever.

While you read that I went to the bank and deposited a check.....to each their own

MB2

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: dabs]
      #245901 - 09/01/14 01:52 PM

Did young Griffin get a podium finish?

Did Tony Stewart get back in NASCAR?

Was there a black squirrel on the race track last night?

Did NASCAR write a new rule to save the squirrels?

I thought so.

sptsman

#246324 - 09/25/14 08:37 AM

Welp, it looks like TS dodged any sort of prosecution and the young man that got himself kilt appears to have been stoned like Cheech & Chong. I think the way it was worded was "significant enough to impair judgement..." Going to make any civil case pretty hard to win, if the kid was baked...

--------------------

sptsman

#246990 - 11/03/14 04:34 AM

Woke up to NASCAR highlights and the part on the track was about 30 seconds. The part where 140 lb. little men throwing haymakers was about 2-3 mins. It looks like the Tony Stewart Effect is working for the racing world. I wouldn't have even known they were still racing this late in the year...

I wonder if Vince McMahon is advising them...

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#246994 - 11/03/14 09:50 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Woke up to NASCAR highlights and the part on the track was about 30 seconds. The part where 140 lb. little men throwing haymakers was about 2-3 mins. It looks like the Tony Stewart Effect is working for the racing world. I wouldn't have even known they were still racing this late in the year...

Wonder when the cage match will be scheduled ?

sptsman

Re: Well Suze.... [Re: wuchang]
      #246995 - 11/03/14 10:12 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Wonder when the cage match will be scheduled ?

I think with those little guys, chicken wire would be sufficient...

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  3s, hucklburry 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3224

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page