CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago?
      #246039 - 09/11/14 08:09 AM

It's weird to me because at the same time it seems like 9/11 happened a lifetime ago and also like it was yesterday. A though crossed my mind today that for my step-kids who are 12 and 14 the idea of terrorism is a normal thing. They have no idea of what that event meant to my generation. That for the first time there was a major attack on our citizens on our soil.

Until I pass, or if my mind is taken by something like Alzheimers, I WILL NEVER FORGET. I was talking to my staff when we got here this morning and we were discussing and relieving all those terrible feelings we had that day. Disbelief, fright, rage, horror all coursing through at the same time. And then later when I saw the footage of people cheering that cowardly act in other countries I was filled with rage. Then I heard that there were those cheering it here on OUR soil. I hope those people are either not on our soil or under it. As you can see some (a lot) of that rage still remains. There are a number of people in this world that would like nothing better than to do that to us over and over again. We are at war whether the present POTUS and MSM wants to acknowledge it or not.
NEVER FORGET and do your best to teach the next generation to understand that we are still under attack.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: IIFID]
      #246040 - 09/11/14 08:26 AM

I was working... Saw it on the TV at lunchtime, went back to work and been working ever since. I travel almost every week. There is usually one week in any give month that I don't have to travel and that was one of them. I was lucky not to be stuck out on the road and even luckier I was not on one of those planes.

This terrorism "problem" will never go away, unless it is universally decided that it is unacceptable and there is zero tolerance from all governing nations. The problem is that there are a dozen or more nations that not only tolerate it but foster and breed it. Add to that weak leaders like our current president and whatever gains were maid in slowing it down are all lost due to weakness in their approach.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: sptsman]
      #246041 - 09/11/14 08:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yxSlf9I9IQ

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

rb.

Loc: mo

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: foots]
      #246042 - 09/11/14 08:40 AM

I was on the way to work on I70 near the airport when it came on KMOX. By the time I got to work everyone was in the cafeteria watching it on tv and we saw the second plane hit. I was ready to go down and re-enlist at that moment I was so filled with rage. It was the same when Kennedy was shot. If you were old enough to remember you will never forget that day either. My mom always said the same thing about Pearl Harbor. No American could ever forget that day especially all of us veterans.

Edited by rb. (09/11/14 08:41 AM)

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: rb.]
      #246043 - 09/11/14 09:08 AM

I was working a secondary gig at a school for kids who have gotten expelled from their regular schools. My wife called and told me a plane had crashed into one of the world trade center buildings. I told one of the teachers there and we found a TV to turn on. Pretty quickly they had the kids watching the TV......and then the second plane hit and the announcer started talking about it being an attack on our country. The kids started cheering. I walked out. Laid the keys on the desk and left. Never went back.

I stopped on the way home and picked up Griffin from the babysitter. He was 3 and I spent the rest of the day in front of the TV watching the coverage and playing with him.

When the Redhead came home with the twins and we atarted working on dinner I looked over and saw that Grif had built a "tower" out of some of his blocks and was "flying" a toy airplane around......then he crashed it into the tower he built.

I cried.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

DjF
little buddie

Loc: staring at an empty mailbox...

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: griffin]
      #246044 - 09/11/14 10:32 AM

I was here at school on 9/11, I was here when the news broke about the Oklahoma City bombing...been here about every school day since 91...what I remember most is just how quiet it was a night with no planes flying, no trains running...how our whole country came to a stop, literally...

These kids today don't understand, they don't understand sacrafice, most don't know what true Patriotism is unless they have family that is serving...ask them what is so important to them that they would go to jail to earn it, or keep it...most respond their cell phones or playstations...

--------------------
somewhere between "Hi, how can we help you?" and "Get off my lawn!"

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: DjF]
      #246045 - 09/11/14 01:30 PM

I was on my way to work - heard it about the first plane on the radio.....got to work and turned the television on and saw the second plane go into the second tower and the reports come in about the Pentagon and the one that crashed.

We had just watched countless police officers, firefighters and other emergency service personnel run into the towers and looked at each other knowing they would probably never come out after the watching the second plane impact.

Hated to leave the tv but had a meeting already planned in downtown KC for that day for metro area emergency service agencies. They called me while I was on the way - I remember when they called I was watching a commercial jet that had just recently taken off from KCI do a donut in the sky and leave pretty much a perfect circle of a jetcon trail when they grounded all of the air traffic - said they had cancelled that meeting but to still come because they were calling a planning/briefing for committee officers - spent the morning guessing about the "what if's"....luckily they did not happen.

I also remember seeing on the television GW Bush at the grade school, I think he was reading to a class of students, and someone came in the room and whispered into his ear and he excused himself and off he went.

But....of all that I remember from that day - what sticks out most to me is early on before the news media realized what they were really showing, was seeing people jumping from the roof of the first tower as their only option of not being burned alive.

fish
senior member - literally

Loc: Kingdom of Callaway

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: dabs]
      #246048 - 09/11/14 03:20 PM

I was working a booth for DNR at a convention at Tan-Tara. Noticed people leaving the display area en mass. Asked a guy what's the deal ? he said one of Twin Towers had a plane crash into it. Went upstairs to the lobby just after the second plane hit. Watched for about an hour or so.We folded things up and headed back to JC.

What I remember.... We got back to the Jefferson Bldg and it looked like we were under siege. Fully armed Nat Guards's everywhere. Around Capitol and all the state buildings. No ID you did not get inside. Searched our van with the display boxes before we could unload them. Didn't fully understand at the moment but didn't take long to figure it out

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: fish]
      #246049 - 09/11/14 03:38 PM

I was in a lengthy interview for a promotion. When we opened the office door, the secretary looked at us and said, " Do you guys even know what's going on ? )

We walked into the conference room just as the second plane hit. It was then obvious that the first tower was no accident.

My mind went numb. I kept thinking about War Of The Worlds, or any other end of the world movies I had seen. It just seem possible that it was real. Those thoughts left quickly, and then I was so pissed I couldn't think straight.

I spent days waiting for the next attack I was sure would come. It didn't then, but I still think it will.

halfasmuch
action hero

Loc: Upper Oakville

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #246059 - 09/12/14 05:35 AM

DMR,

I dont have any doubts that the other shoe will drop.. I suspect another sporting Venue..

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

halfasmuch
action hero

Loc: Upper Oakville

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: halfasmuch]
      #246060 - 09/12/14 05:36 AM

I say "another" because I think ofthe Boston Marathon as the last attack

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

Mel

Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: halfasmuch]
      #246075 - 09/12/14 04:34 PM

At work. Think I got info off computer. Saw the video later.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

67Firebird
Former political advocate

Loc: Russellville, Mo

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: Mel]
      #246087 - 09/13/14 10:48 PM

I was at work, setting up the line for that days run, and listening to the radio. (The Point). Trish Gazall was reporting what was happening, and I remember her crying. The girl I was working with starting asking about potential targets in St. Louis, since we were working right at Jefferson/40.

I didn't actually see it, until I got home that afternoon.

Nontypical

Reged: 12/16/05
Loc: Mid Missouri

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: 67Firebird]
      #246123 - 09/15/14 04:37 PM

I was at a sales training meeting in Chicago, I had flown up and rented a car on 9/10 and was set to fly back to StL on 9/11. After the first plane hit the tower one of the office girls stuck her head in and told us a plane hit the tower. We kept going but then after the 2nd plane hit we turned on the TV and watched. Tried calling Hertz several times but all you could get was a busy signal. Ended up driving the rental back to Stl. I can remember being really pissed when I stopped in Illinois for gas on the way back and the guy was charging about a $1 more per gallon than usual.
I just watched this whole thing again on TV last week and got pissed all over again. They should make Obama and all of the other politicians sit down and watch it again.

Anybody remember the movie Red Dawn? Only this time it would be a bunch of old duck and deer hunters, not high school kids! Wolverines!!!

--------------------
Idiocracy shouldn't be a direction!

fish
senior member - literally

Loc: Kingdom of Callaway

Re: Where were you when you heard thirteen years ago? [Re: Nontypical]
      #246141 - 09/16/14 07:23 AM

Quote:

Nontypical said:

Anybody remember the movie Red Dawn? Only this time it would be a bunch of old duck and deer hunters, not high school kids! Wolverines!!!

I think it was Jap Admiral Yamamoto said we will never invade the mainland of America because there is a gun behind every blade of grass.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 714

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page