CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Deer

Pages: 1
Mel

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Watkins Mill Managed Hunt
      #247543 - 12/28/14 10:32 AM

AS couple of weeks ago they had a two-day, muzzle loader only, managed hunt at Watkins Mill. They were allowing 85 hunters and each hunter could take 3 does.

Now, I am out at Watkins a lot. I often got out there, park, and read my paper. In the last 3 1/2 months I had seen exactly 6 deer. This is for background information only.

72 of the allowable 85 hunters showed up. During that two-day hunt they killed exactly 14 deer. Wait, it gets worse. Two hunters managed to get their 3 deer each. So, those two hunters took 6 of the 14 total deer killed. That means 70 hunters managed to get 8 deer in two days.

No one around here can figure why the hunt went on knowing there were so few deer in the park. That blue-tongue-type disease had severely impacted the herd two years ago. No wonder to me that only 14 were taken.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

Re: Watkins Mill Managed Hunt [Re: Mel]
      #247545 - 12/28/14 05:46 PM

Part of that 'quality hunting experience'

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

#247547 - 12/28/14 08:21 PM

Sounds like a quiet place to read the paper.
Gunshots shouldn't interrupt much.
Part of me wants to say what a shame,,,but another part of me wants to say,,,,(don't kill me here) at least they were afforded the opprotunitny,,,,yeah I know it don't make it rite getting folks hopes up,,,,but a slim chance is better than none.
Ain't killed a deer for years,,,that's what the young'uns are for,,,,but I spect if I wanted to to it wouldn't be that big of a deal Just like the ole days, ya hungry,,, yer gonna eat.

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#247551 - 12/29/14 09:07 AM

Quote:

Mel said:
AS couple of weeks ago they had a two-day, muzzle loader only, managed hunt at Watkins Mill. They were allowing 85 hunters and each hunter could take 3 does.

Now, I am out at Watkins a lot. I often got out there, park, and read my paper. In the last 3 1/2 months I had seen exactly 6 deer. This is for background information only.

72 of the allowable 85 hunters showed up. During that two-day hunt they killed exactly 14 deer. Wait, it gets worse. Two hunters managed to get their 3 deer each. So, those two hunters took 6 of the 14 total deer killed. That means 70 hunters managed to get 8 deer in two days.

No one around here can figure why the hunt went on knowing there were so few deer in the park. That blue-tongue-type disease had severely impacted the herd two years ago. No wonder to me that only 14 were taken.

Because the MDC is too big to make simple evaluations like that and adjust accordingly. They've become so big and bureaucratic that making a simple decision and adjustment is not possible. The number of meetings, approvals and forms in triplicate would be mind-boggling. It is easier just to have the hunt and pretend nothing ever happened.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DjF, foots, duko™ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 489

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page