CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1
SwampFox

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

What's in that beer?
      #247640 - 01/08/15 05:17 AM

8 Beers You Should Stop Drinking.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fish
senior member - literally

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Kingdom of Callaway

Re: What's in that beer? [Re: SwampFox]
      #247641 - 01/08/15 09:40 AM

Got a few of them in the man fridge. Guess I'll have to go dump them out now.

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

Re: What's in that beer? [Re: fish]
      #247642 - 01/08/15 11:47 AM

And all this time, I thought I was going to live forever.......

damn

SwampFox

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Re: What's in that beer? [Re: wuchang]
      #247643 - 01/08/15 01:09 PM

I think it's OK if you sterilize the glycol with alcohol.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

Re: What's in that beer? [Re: SwampFox]
      #247662 - 01/11/15 08:35 PM

Swampy, that article is so ignorant and malicious I don't even know where to start. Hopefully the brewers that got slandered in it will recover some money from whoever wrote it.

Propylene glycol circulates in the cooling bands around a boiling vessel of course - it's never in the beer. GMO crops have had their DNA altered to add one or more beneficial genes, typically to help the plant resist some disease or insect that preys on it. Even if you believe GMO crops are somehow harmful, the origin of the final-product simple sugars fructose and dextrose couldn't possibly matter. Those sugars are only snippets of starch chains, two and one molecules respectively, and they contain no DNA at all.

Isinglass, a substance refined from fish bladders, is used in an OLD and higher-quality method of clarifying beer wort. Isinglass doesn't remain in the beer - it's a heavy tasteless, odorless, glycerin-like substance that attaches to the protein molecules that make beer cloudy and drop them to the bottom of the vessel. Clear beer is then siphoned from the top, leaving the cloudiness behind. If Guinness is still using that 19th century method, good for them - it enhances quality and it's a lot more expensive and time consuming than ramming beer through a micron filter with a high pressure pump as is usually done these days.

I won't go on - but there's not a single claim in that article that's true. And any writer who'd cite GREENPEACE as an authority, well ......

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: What's in that beer? [Re: Ozark]
      #247667 - 01/12/15 03:52 PM

Quote:

Ozark said:
Swampy, that article is so ignorant and malicious I don't even know where to start. Hopefully the brewers that got slandered in it will recover some money from whoever wrote it.

Propylene glycol circulates in the cooling bands around a boiling vessel of course - it's never in the beer. GMO crops have had their DNA altered to add one or more beneficial genes, typically to help the plant resist some disease or insect that preys on it. Even if you believe GMO crops are somehow harmful, the origin of the final-product simple sugars fructose and dextrose couldn't possibly matter. Those sugars are only snippets of starch chains, two and one molecules respectively, and they contain no DNA at all.

Isinglass, a substance refined from fish bladders, is used in an OLD and higher-quality method of clarifying beer wort. Isinglass doesn't remain in the beer - it's a heavy tasteless, odorless, glycerin-like substance that attaches to the protein molecules that make beer cloudy and drop them to the bottom of the vessel. Clear beer is then siphoned from the top, leaving the cloudiness behind. If Guinness is still using that 19th century method, good for them - it enhances quality and it's a lot more expensive and time consuming than ramming beer through a micron filter with a high pressure pump as is usually done these days.

I won't go on - but there's not a single claim in that article that's true. And any writer who'd cite GREENPEACE as an authority, well ......

Ozark beat me to it... That is exactly what I was going to say!!

On a related note, it looks like you shouldn't drink the beer in Mozambique, crocodile bile or not... Almost 70 die drinking beer in Mozambique

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 351

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page