CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Buy-Trade-Sell

Pages: 1
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Need Wood Stove
      #247668 - 01/12/15 04:00 PM

I need a wood stove that can heat 2,000 sq. ft. or so. Needs to have a blower or be able to have one added. Just got my 2nd LP bill for the season. Between last year's raping and this year I'm going to heat as much with wood as possible. I have the flue already in.

No links to Craigslist or Ebay. I'm all over that. Mostly hoping one of you has one or knows someone that has one they aren't using and will let go for cheap.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: sptsman]
      #247672 - 01/12/15 05:32 PM

get off your wallet

ain't no one going to sell a used working wood stove when it is winter and LP going for just under 'gold' prices

http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-1-800-sq-ft-Large-Wood-Burning-Stove-Circulator-BEC95/202815108

fish
senior member - literally

Loc: Kingdom of Callaway

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: wuchang]
      #247674 - 01/13/15 06:57 AM

Well Hell !!! Just GAVE a Skaggs wood furnace away that would heat a small warehouse. Blower, thermostat etc etc. was way too big for 2400 sq ft house. took 3 NFL line backer sized men to move it. It was here when we bought the place and we never used it much. heated with wood one winter.It was way too much work for this old man and hated the mess.

Oh well...

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: fish]
      #247676 - 01/13/15 08:47 AM

I don't know of any free standing units with blowers on them. Most are just radiant and if they have a blower on them, they are rigged.

Here's what I'm running in my house. It's made locally. Two blowers on it and can be ducted into your existing HVAC lines so the air handler on your forced air can kick on when the stove blowers kick on and push it thru the house.

http://newaire.com/fireplaces.htm

If this is too much, your best bet, in a hurry, is a pellet stove, however most folks down this way are moving towards Hardy type stoves. Don't know if you live in town or not, but if you do, you won't have any friendly neighbors if you run one of those. They are like an old steam locomotive when they are building heat..

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

sptsman

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: HAUS]
      #247677 - 01/13/15 09:15 AM

HAUS, that's where I am going to end up in a few years, when we finish the basement.

For now, looking for a stove that will functionally do the same thing for a year or two (probably 3). I have found some out-of-state and few locally that are just a bit too old and used. I don't mind used but 20-30+ years old and heavily used is not going to work for me.

There are dozens of models that are freestanding and have blowers. I just installed one in a buddy's house a few weeks ago. I am looking for one of those that's used and not in the $2,000 range.

--------------------

duko™

Loc: east mo

#247679 - 01/13/15 11:52 AM

Buy a new one from rural king for 1100.

If you have the time, resources, and back for it, you,re gonna burn a cord a month. Otherwise its going to cost you about 160 to have it delivered....better start cutting it this year if you want to burn it for next year. One nice thing about a hardy or central boiler is you can feed them green wood...or dead hookers

Duko

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: duko™]
      #247682 - 01/13/15 02:43 PM

The old timers always used an Ashley wood stove--
https://www.google.com/#q=ashley+wood+stoves+for+sale

Have you thought of buying a corn/pellet burner??
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/monroe42.html

https://www.google.com/#q=corn+burning+stoves+for+sale

50 lb bags of corn are fairly cheap these days versus wood.

sptsman

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: wuchang]
      #248108 - 03/06/15 06:17 AM

Welp, I found a good deal on stove. Paid $600 for a Pacific Energy - Summit. It is less than 5 years old and is good shape. It wasn't run at all the last year and may not have been used much the few years before that. I had to buy a stainless steel liner for the flue and cost was about $800 (was a class B flue and needed to be brought up to class A). A few other misc. expenses and I got it up and running for about $1,600. I have enough good, dry wood to get me through what's left of the season. The task will now be to get 4 or 5 cords cuts and stacked for next season.

Here's the stove: Pacific Energy - Summit

Thanks for all of the input guys. I did look into some of the other options...

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#248121 - 03/06/15 04:10 PM

Congrats!

Nothing better then the heat from a woodstove. Someone guided you right by getting your flue up to snuff. That money spent is a drop in a bucket if your house goes up in flames..

I've got one of those New Aire jobs that's ducted throughout the house, plus a masonry fireplace that's open on two sides. It's not for heating the house though.
It's just for sitting by and I occasionally cook in it. (The kids like to sit by it and roast hot dogs or pitch peanut shells in it.)

I also just picked up an antique pot belly stove. It's a laundry style stove, with a wide, flat top for boiling water in a copper tub (at least that's what the internet antique stove snobs told me).
I haven't got the pipe hooked up to it yet, with the weather like it's been, but looking forward to cranking it up. It looks like this, cept mine's a lot cleaner..

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

sptsman

Re: Need Wood Stove [Re: HAUS]
      #248139 - 03/09/15 01:34 PM

I wanted on of those pot-belly stoves but they scare the hell out of me with little kids around. I don't know why, the regular stoves get plenty hot as well... I know they're not as efficient but they warm up a room pretty darn good!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  moduckdoc 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 803

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page