CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Lodging and Restraunt Forum >> Restaurants

Pages: 1
rb.

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: mo

Ferg's Warsaw Mo
      #249570 - 08/12/15 07:47 AM

Spent last week at Truman. One day we went to lunch at Ferg's Diner on 7 Hwy north of the mile long bridge. Wife had a Rueben and I got the meat loaf lunch special. Very reasonable prices and the food was good. We'll go back.

Also, the Chuck Wagon BBQ place shut down recently. I asked some local folks why and they said they just got tired of. It had good bbq and the place was always packed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fish
senior member - literally

Loc: Kingdom of Callaway

Re: Ferg's Warsaw Mo [Re: rb.]
      #249571 - 08/12/15 08:55 AM

Saw that Chuck Wagon had closed.The Dam Inn has moved to Hy 7 where old swinging bridge was. Good food there to and cold beer

rb.

Re: Ferg's Warsaw Mo [Re: fish]
      #249572 - 08/12/15 08:59 AM

We were going to go there too but ran out of days. Did go to El Camino Real which we like a lot for Mexican. Fish check your email.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#249679 - 08/19/15 10:04 AM

The Chuck Wagon closing was a shame!! That was the best value in all of Missouri. Good BBQ, good service, good portions... What better day than to catch a mess of crappie and then get a full belly at the Chuck Wagon afterwards...

I heard they tried to sell or get someone to take it over but what interest they had never developed into a deal, so they just shut 'er down... Shame.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

rb.

Re: Ferg's Warsaw Mo [Re: sptsman]
      #249699 - 08/19/15 04:50 PM

sptsman, I talked to some locals we know there and they know the owner. They said he just got tired of it and shut it down. Never said he had it for sale that they knew of and I asked that. Smoke shack is ok but no where near as good as the Wagon.

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #249748 - 08/23/15 08:54 PM

They still have Subway going for them - I hear they are running a kids get a free 6" with each adult purchase

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

Re: Ferg's Warsaw Mo [Re: dabs]
      #250094 - 09/20/15 02:05 PM

dabs u just ain't rite

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

sptsman

Re: Ferg's Warsaw Mo [Re: redleg]
      #250558 - 10/15/15 08:43 AM

Another one bites the dust. Went after crappie this week at Truman and stopped at Smokeshack BBQ for some vittles. Got a good brisket sammich and was told that Sunday was their last day. Must be hard for a BBQ joint to make it in that area these days...

--------------------

rb.

#250572 - 10/16/15 08:14 AM

Heard about that from someone down there the other day. Chuck Wagon gone too. I was at the Shack in august and there were only two tables at lunch. Didn't think the food was as good as it used to be. One reason I heard is that restaurants there are having a hard time getting and keeping good help. How was the fishing.

sptsman

#250577 - 10/16/15 10:23 AM

Fishing was dismal. We caught 18 keepers on Tuesday from about 9:00am until just before dark (2 of us). Wednesday had 6 keepers from 7:30ish until about noon. Tried everything we could think of but dynamite. Just could not get on a pattern. Other than one guide that seemed to be doing well, just about every report and everyone we talked to had the same story. Tough sleddin'...

--------------------

rb.

#250578 - 10/16/15 10:26 AM

I have heard from the guides I know there that they have been doing very well. Sometimes when the patter is tough for us amateurs it pays to do a half day trip with a guide the first day to learn the spots and patterns. I did that one time when no one was doing any good. Went on a half day guide trip, caught a limit and then the rest of the trip was easy to find them. Have you ever tried that Mexican place by wally world? Pretty good Mexican and not too pricey. They have a combo plate that comes on two platters and half of it will be leftover its so much food. Nothing better than leftover Mexican for breakfast on a fishing trip.

Edited by rb. (10/16/15 10:28 AM)

sptsman

#250587 - 10/17/15 08:58 AM

Have not done the beans and rice there. Quite honestly, I love Mexican food but find 90%+ in the midwest to be the same bland stuff. There are a few exceptions but I usually save my Mexican feasts for when I am in Southwest or Texas or SoCal. I was in Tucson a few weeks ago and had some really good Mexican at El Charro. They have some unique dishes and claim to have invented the Chimichanga (I am skeptical).

Yeah, we talked about doing just that with the guide sometime. But the buddy I was fishing with has about a 90% success rate at Truman. He's there 15-20 weekends of the year and goes during the weekdays sometimes, like we did this past week. He had caught limits the week before last on Wednesday and Thursday. The biggest issue was not knowing how to fish the summer/fall transition pattern that we were in. The fish were clearly not in the summer pattern and clearly not on the fall feeding frenzy. It was one of those unique times where experience with that particular situation is invaluable.

--------------------

rb.

#250588 - 10/17/15 10:30 AM

I heard they were biting shallow at this point and not in the summer pattern at all. I'll find out next week when we do a trip down there. Might just hire a guide to figure it all out. I fish that lake several times a year and usually do good but it can be tough. Agree on most Mexican but I actually like that place, but maybe it was the margarita's.

sptsman

#250612 - 10/19/15 07:27 AM

My buddy went back down Thursday, Friday & Sat. They didn't do much better Thursday but got limits on Friday and Sat. In fact, most were 12" and 13". Nice thick slabs!!

They were mostly in 10-15 of water, closer to the channel than the shore. Some were shallow, in 5-6' of water. It really had more to do with finding them than the pattern.

If you use a guide, the guy I would call is Richard Bowling. I don't know him and have never used him but he gets very good reviews and seems to always be on the fish.

Good luck, if you go!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Kit 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 587

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page