CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1
Mac
Birding Moderator

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

Summertime fruit and veggies!!
      #253075 - 07/24/16 04:43 PM

Mercy! The local tomatoes are rockin' fellas! Peaches from Missouri are small but really tasty. Hope they will hold us over until the Colorado peaches come in next month. Sweet corn local is ready, and I been eatin' it like a racoon!LOL!

Life is good! BLT's tonight!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
flocked

Reged: 12/16/06
Loc: missouri

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: Mac]
      #253077 - 07/24/16 08:14 PM

prime time for sure wife brought home 2 baskets full of peaches . going to have the peach splatters tomorrow

Mac
Birding Moderator

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: flocked]
      #253078 - 07/24/16 09:57 PM

Flocked, dats what summertime fresh is all about. I long for it just like shroom season!!

WaterFowlJones

Reged: 05/11/16
Loc: Northern Mexico (CA) USA

#253080 - 07/25/16 07:59 AM

Any of you fella's with home vegetable gardens may know this trick already, but if not, here is a recipe that is "Cocaine" For Veggies---Your veggies will grow flat out CRAZY on it:

I pour about 1/3 alfalpha pellet (rabbit sized feed) into a gallon jug (or a bigger jug, w/same ratio), then add water with just a little room at the top for "shaking"---shake er up, then set aside for a coupla days, continuing to "shake" the mix now and again---the water gets a pretty spiffy dark color to it 'cause it is chock full of nutrients---then I pour off the water onto whatever I am growing, leaving the mulch behind in the jug---fill 'er back up with water, and repeat the shaking process for a coupla more days.

I dump the rest of it on veggies, and then do it all over again with fresh ingredients.

You can damn near WATCH the veggies growing and thriving on the mix---read the dang bag and ya'll may be amazed by the minerals, and goodies that come within those little magic pellets...The mix will do wonders for "Mama's Roses" too.

I even sow some pellets into the soil before seeding, or getting "starter plants" going.

Downside is, if there are pellets left on the surface of the soil, dang bunnies, squirrels or whatever vermin ya may have running loose in your garden WILL be attracted by 'em, and they'll eat those, and yer new shoots as they burst into the sunlight.

Jones

Edited by WaterFowlJones (07/25/16 08:02 AM)

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: WaterFowlJones]
      #253081 - 07/25/16 08:45 AM

Quote:

WaterFowlJones said:
Any of you fella's with home vegetable gardens may know this trick already, but if not, here is a recipe that is "Cocaine" For Veggies---Your veggies will grow flat out CRAZY on it:

I pour about 1/3 alfalpha pellet (rabbit sized feed) into a gallon jug (or a bigger jug, w/same ratio), then add water with just a little room at the top for "shaking"---shake er up, then set aside for a coupla days, continuing to "shake" the mix now and again---the water gets a pretty spiffy dark color to it 'cause it is chock full of nutrients---then I pour off the water onto whatever I am growing, leaving the mulch behind in the jug---fill 'er back up with water, and repeat the shaking process for a coupla more days.

I dump the rest of it on veggies, and then do it all over again with fresh ingredients.

You can damn near WATCH the veggies growing and thriving on the mix---read the dang bag and ya'll may be amazed by the minerals, and goodies that come within those little magic pellets...The mix will do wonders for "Mama's Roses" too.

I even sow some pellets into the soil before seeding, or getting "starter plants" going.

Downside is, if there are pellets left on the surface of the soil, dang bunnies, squirrels or whatever vermin ya may have running loose in your garden WILL be attracted by 'em, and they'll eat those, and yer new shoots as they burst into the sunlight.

Jones

Or just use Miracle Gro...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

rb.

Loc: mo

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: sptsman]
      #253083 - 07/25/16 09:45 AM

Did a small pork butt for dinner yesterday. The green beans, chard, cucumbers, banana peppers and maters all fresh from the garden. Beans were picked right before cooking. Doesn't get any fresher.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: sptsman]
      #253085 - 07/25/16 11:40 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

WaterFowlJones said:

Jones

Or just use Miracle Gro...

That's what I was thinking. Cow chit in the spring and fall. Tilled in. Urea on the corn once it's up and miracle grow on the rest. I didn't have time to read what Jones wrote, let alone time to make his compost growing concoction.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

WaterFowlJones

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: H2ODOG]
      #253088 - 07/25/16 06:14 PM

Yeah, Miracle Gro is good stuff...'course at on average, $10 per pound, 25 pounds is 'roundabouts $250...Rabbit Pellets now, why, I get 25 lbs. for $7.50...not ta gonna pull my shoes off to cipher up the difference, but there is a dramatic difference in price.

'Course one can always save a buck or two if one shops around for a better deal on Miracle Gro...The Operative Word being "IF". Regardless IF one can find it at $5 per pound somewhere's, and one can't, but that would still be a crapload more than pellets---The cash difference supplies me lots of shells, chew, and Jack.

But go ahead, buy the fancy, schmancy stuff, and I will just sit around hammering ground squirrels with my side-by-each .410 as they come after my pellets and plants, whilst dipping Cope, and swigging Jack---pert near for free too, prices being compared!

Jones

Edited by WaterFowlJones (07/26/16 09:22 AM)

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

#253094 - 07/26/16 06:51 PM

I like yer way of thinkin

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: redleg]
      #253096 - 07/26/16 08:02 PM

Unc...........they must be sticking it to you in Kalifornia. We buy Miracle grow for $11 and it's a 7 1/2 pound container. Granted that's not as cheap as your homemade concoction but it's still less than $1.50 a pound. Your stuff is 30 cents a pound. Hell even the 5 pound box is only $9 and some change here. Communist Kalifornia prices have yall beat down

If I had time to watch the paint dry and grass grow, your way would be good. I've got 5 acres to mow, a pool to clean, decoys to carve and paint, and a pecker that still works well. I don't have 3 days to shake fertilizer. I've got other things to do. I do see a potential Parkisons/ shaky fertilizer combo use when I get older. For now, I'll spend the $1.50 a pound on miracle grow.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

DjF
little buddie

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: staring at an empty mailbox...

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: H2ODOG]
      #253097 - 07/27/16 06:00 AM

Miracle Grow and pecker used in the same post...quite appropriate for around here...

--------------------
somewhere between "Hi, how can we help you?" and "Get off my lawn!"

Mac
Birding Moderator

Re: Summertime fruit and veggies!! [Re: DjF]
      #253104 - 07/27/16 03:25 PM

Quote:

I do see a potential Parkisons/ shaky fertilizer combo use when I get older.

OMG! Now that's down right funny!!!

WaterFowlJones

#253105 - 07/27/16 05:43 PM

Yep H2O, The Republic of Northern Mexico hereabouts do get in yer pocket serious like on most everything!!

I don't buy the stuff, so I took a quick look around to see what it goes for out here. I saw prices ranging from $7 pound, to $14 a pound---So you betcha, my alfalfa pellet juice seemed to be a better deal.

But DO NOT stick your wanker in the jar hoping for a "Miracle Gro",'cause all yer gonna get is a Green Weenie, and all the trouble of trying to explain the "color of the day" to your next piece o' tail.

Leastways, I heard that claim by someone else...a guy I know tried it, yeah that's the ticket...

When I lived over to AZ along The Colorado River I'd often see farmers turning under new crops of alfalfa, and then planting corn, barley or wot not on them fresh turned fields, so that is where I got the idea from.

Jones

Edited by WaterFowlJones (07/27/16 05:51 PM)

Mac
Birding Moderator

#253107 - 07/27/16 07:47 PM

Alfalfa is a damned expensive green crop! They shoulda used turnips to add organic matter.

It's all about NPK. Nitrogen, Phosphorous abd Potassium. Get that right and everything is good. Apparently rabbit pellets have some nutrients as I describe. No rocket science involved!!

Mac
Birding Moderator

#253298 - 08/23/16 05:59 PM

Colorado Peaches are beginning to arrive, but with a crazy price...

Colorado peaches are so expensive that the local stand stopped buying them for now. Bastages are charging anywhere from $35-50 a box, and the boxes are under filled!

So it's back to Missouri peaches for now. The crop in MO has been above average from what I have had!!

CO peaches prices will fall once we gat into the main harvest so wait a while I say. Then, buy a box to eat and freeze!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 742

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page