CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: griffin]
      #254074 - 11/27/16 06:31 AM

Sure there's all that and even more.

But they are 2nd in the West after 20+ games.

Out? I'll keep you posted. These guys are warts and all miles ahead of where I thought they'd be. The way I look at it, it's all house money they have nothing to lose.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: last_stand]
      #254076 - 11/28/16 12:04 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Sure there's all that and even more.

But they are 2nd in the West after 20+ games.

Out? I'll keep you posted. These guys are warts and all miles ahead of where I thought they'd be. The way I look at it, it's all house money they have nothing to lose.

Well yeah.. I mean it wasn't like anyone ever expects them to be a Cup contender.. with that Coach. Sorry, couldn't help it..

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: IIFID]
      #254077 - 11/28/16 04:47 PM

Ya see the Griffins made State Champs?

I think Sugar Bear is smiling up there.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254078 - 11/29/16 09:57 AM

I sure didn't expect it considering their regular season record but the boys got on a run. Crazy that Kirkwood won 6A so there are two state champs in Kirkwood!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#254079 - 11/29/16 12:06 PM

do you guys think manning can take the broncos all the way to the super bowl?

do you think the rams will move to los angeles after the season and will fisher piss off Dickerson?

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

last_stand

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: HAUS]
      #254080 - 11/29/16 04:54 PM

I started watching that donkey/squaw game at 10:00 Sunday nite and got sucked in to the end.One of the few nfl game segments I've see this year.

It reminded me of some of the Rams more revealing moments. I was mesmerized.

Kubiaks FG decision was worth staying up for. So Fisher-esque. It's amazing what happens to these guys in the thick of it.

"Here. If we don't make the 62 yard field goal, you guys can have the game."

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254081 - 11/29/16 07:42 PM

Give him a break! He had a late dinner reservation at a restaruant that's almost impossible to get into.. I can't think of any other reason for that bone headed move and I root for the Chefs!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254082 - 11/29/16 07:43 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
do you guys think manning can take the broncos all the way to the super bowl?

do you think the rams will move to los angeles after the season and will fisher piss off Dickerson?

All things that I'm sure Griffin has the answer to..

--------------------

last_stand

#254083 - 11/30/16 05:26 PM

For those interested:

Defensive turnovers against the Stars on Monday

Blues 9
Stars 12

Griffins back in.

On other good news tid bits, rumor has it the Blues will drop the Wolves in Chicago and their new AHL affiliate will be located in.....KC.

My, it's going to be so nice having the west siders cheering on our Blues. This is true brotherhood. Bubba now bleeds blue.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#254085 - 12/01/16 08:42 AM

I'm not back yet. There is something about this team that I don't like and it's making it hard for me to get behind them. The team has no soul, and there is nothing that I can find that makes watching them enjoyable.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#254086 - 12/01/16 08:49 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
there is nothing that I can find that makes watching them enjoyable.

not even a case of IPA??

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254087 - 12/01/16 09:18 AM

Quote:

HAUS said:
Quote:

griffin said:

not even a case of IPA??

No....watching them just sucks, no matter how much I drink. In fact, those bastards even kill the enjoyment of drinking. I've got tickets for the Montreal game next week and told my daughter she can take a friend and I won't go. Eventually I will settle in on what I hate about this team......but Perron, Stasny, Berglund, and Allen are prime suspects. I can't stand any of them.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#254088 - 12/01/16 11:49 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

HAUS said:
Quote:

griffin said:

not even a case of IPA??

No....watching them just sucks, no matter how much I drink. In fact, those bastards even kill the enjoyment of drinking. I've got tickets for the Montreal game next week and told my daughter she can take a friend and I won't go. Eventually I will settle in on what I hate about this team......but Perron, Stasny, Berglund, and Allen are prime suspects. I can't stand any of them.

So, let's review: They are 2nd in their Division, 2nd in the Western Conference and 4th in the entire NHL. And that is with a mini-losing streak already. WTF makes you happy?

They are a new team of sorts with some key guys gone, some new guys in place and a whole new coaching staff behind Hitchcock. Any hockey-knowledgeable, sane, non-grumpy person would expect it to take at least 20-30 games for all of that to gel into a cohesive unit. From what I've seen in the last 10 games or so, they have gelled about as good as you can gel. Plenty to criticize, to be sure, but overall, they are doing pretty well...

Not sure why you have a hard-on for Perron but he's been fine. In fact, you could argue he has been better than expected. If you are basing it on the Perron that left, let me ask you this. Are you the same at your job in the 2nd half of your career as you were in the early years? Perhaps it is time to acknowledge that he is a pretty good hockey player and is doing pretty well. He's never going to compete with the NHL greats but he will get you 20-30 goals a year. He needs to clean up his 2-way game and be a little stronger in the defensive and neutral zones but I think Hitch will help him get better there.

I don't see this team a Cup contender either but that could still happen. They have the skill, speed talent and size. It is just a matter of putting it all together and gelling a little more. It will come. No need to hate on them and get all negative...

I also see a trade happening.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: sptsman]
      #254090 - 12/01/16 06:20 PM

Like I said, this team has no soul. Watch them when they get down early. Wait until crunch time comes and they need to play physical.....it will be a massacre.

I'd like to see a trade so I hope you're right.

Perron is all for Perron....always has been and always will be. I don't like him.

I'm trying bro.....you know I bleed it....but I'm having a hard time enjoying this team.

griffin

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#254091 - 12/01/16 10:40 PM

No soul my ass

Let somebody try forkin wiff Reaves and you'll see soul bro.
I like this bunch and enjoyed tonites game for sure.

Home Sweet Home

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

last_stand

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: fastman]
      #254095 - 12/02/16 05:38 AM

Well griff I know there was time when you did like Perron and the fact is he is playing better hockey now than whenever that was. Best of his career.

We don't have a #1 center, we barely have a #2. We have some overpaid forwards. I'm still not sold on Allen but he is trying hard to make his case. I'm not a fan of Jbo. Steen just showed up last night for the first time this year.

But they do give a chit. 2 behind the Blackhawks ain't chopped liver. The whole west remains wide open.

Personally, I don't think they have the horses. We'll find out in February and March. For now, result wise, not sure I can ask for more of this roster.

--------------------

last_stand

#254102 - 12/03/16 06:12 AM

Hitch seems to sum things up pretty well. They are not yet there.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/pr...7a89605883.html

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254106 - 12/04/16 07:29 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Well griff I know there was time when you did like Perron and the fact is he is playing better hockey now than whenever that was. Best of his career.

We don't have a #1 center, we barely have a #2. We have some overpaid forwards. I'm still not sold on Allen but he is trying hard to make his case. I'm not a fan of Jbo. Steen just showed up last night for the first time this year.

But they do give a chit. 2 behind the Blackhawks ain't chopped liver. The whole west remains wide open.

Personally, I don't think they have the horses. We'll find out in February and March. For now, result wise, not sure I can ask for more of this roster.

Yeah, I liked Perron when he first came up....great hands. Then I realized he didn't like to come off the ice and got caught short A LOT. Then I noticed that he really didn't like to pass the puck that much. Fork him......he's not going to be a winner at this level....he's nothing more than an upgraded Jim Campbell.

Horses???? Don't have the horses?? Dude.....this team, as it sits right now, will get destroyed when the playoffs come.

I know you want it like I do.....but you guys are delusional.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#254113 - 12/05/16 06:00 AM

Maybe.

But the first big step for any chance at success was when you said:

"I'm out"

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#254114 - 12/05/16 06:57 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Maybe.

But the first big step for any chance at success was when you said:

"I'm out"

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sptsman

#254115 - 12/05/16 07:08 AM

Griff, take down the Backes fathead off your wall and pay attention. This team will not have their full identity and potential realized until the 2nd half of the season. New coaches, a new captain, some new players, new leaders, etc... When you consider that and look at where they are today, nothing to complain about that isn't nit-picking...

We're on the same page with the need for a player or two to round things out but those guys don't grow on trees and they don't come cheap when it comes to acquiring one... We'll just have to hold tight and see what happens with a possible trade. You just pray some GM thinks Berglund is worth more than a bag of practice pucks. Just unloading him for a crappy draft pick would be worth it to free up cap space and get some other player in the lineup. He may go down as the biggest waste of money in Blues history.

When this team plays the way Hitch wants them to play, they are as good as any team in the NHL. When they don't, they look like one of the worst. They just don't have the depth of skill players to overcome poor effort or poor execution. But they have enough talent to win. We've seen it. They have the size and speed to play with anyone in the playoffs. They will just have a hard time winning any games without good execution and 100% effort. You hear teams occasionally say they got lucky with a win, because they didn't play as good as they could have. That's not the Blues...

Go Blue...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254116 - 12/05/16 08:27 AM

I'm telling you.....this team is soft and CANNOT win in the playoffs.

I no longer give a rats arse what they do in the regular season....we're further down that road. Yep, they're winning some games now. I don't care.

This is another playoff train wreck in the making....and for what it's worth, I don't consider last year anything but a playoff success, so that's not what I'm talking about....I know how hard it is to win the cup.

This team, as it sits, is out in round 1 or 2....without question. I'm not supporting that any more.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#254118 - 12/05/16 12:21 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Griff, take down the Backes fathead off your wall and pay attention. This team will not have their full identity and potential realized until the 2nd half of the season. New coaches, a new captain, some new players, new leaders, etc... When you consider that and look at where they are today, nothing to complain about that isn't nit-picking...

We're on the same page with the need for a player or two to round things out but those guys don't grow on trees and they don't come cheap when it comes to acquiring one... We'll just have to hold tight and see what happens with a possible trade. You just pray some GM thinks Berglund is worth more than a bag of practice pucks. Just unloading him for a crappy draft pick would be worth it to free up cap space and get some other player in the lineup. He may go down as the biggest waste of money in Blues history.

When this team plays the way Hitch wants them to play, they are as good as any team in the NHL. When they don't, they look like one of the worst. They just don't have the depth of skill players to overcome poor effort or poor execution. But they have enough talent to win. We've seen it. They have the size and speed to play with anyone in the playoffs. They will just have a hard time winning any games without good execution and 100% effort. You hear teams occasionally say they got lucky with a win, because they didn't play as good as they could have. That's not the Blues...

Go Blue...

They've certainly won games in OT that should never have gone to OT. They've had some luck there for sure.

And what do you expect to get in trade for Bergy and his 7 point season? This team needs a #1 center of which there are none available of which if they were you are talking about sending a mix of Fabbri or Schwartz or Parayko off to get one.

Hell, the one guy that's talked about being traded more than any other is Shattenkirk and he has 19 points and DA can't find a fair deal for him.

I'm all for a super one sided trade that we come out on top of but that is going to be next to impossible to pull off. Lots of teams looking for the same talent. As long as the Blues are flirting at the top of the West, it won't be torn apart on a chance.

I looked at this year as a transition year. Hoping Schwartz and Fabbri and Parayko to catch up with a Steen, Tarasenko and a Petro to catch lightning in a bottle along with a F/A pickup or two for a run next year.

Agree when they are on they are on. Agree it's the second half that matters. Agree we are long shots for anything past the second round.

But count me in. After 50 years, whenever this team does it, I want to be on board.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254119 - 12/05/16 12:57 PM

Package Shattenkirk and Steen. Shattenkirk disappears in the playoffs...he's actually a beardedclam. Steen is constantly out hurt and when he isn't he's less that 80% of what he can be. Still, both could be of much greater value to a lesser roster then they are for the Blues. They're stuck with Berglund and Stasny because Berglund's contract is too big and nobody wants Stasny because he sucks.....we'll eventually be stuck with Perron the same way.

It really doesn't matter......none of the above, except for Steen, play with any real heart and with so many of them on one team they can get away with it.

But hey....they have Jake forking Allen as the #1 goalie.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#254128 - 12/06/16 08:44 AM

ls - not looking for anything for Berglund. Just hoping to get him off the ice and unload what's left of the $3.7 million, at the end of this disastrous contract. And I'm not optimistic that anyone will take him unless he's packaged with someone they want and DA demands they take him as part of the deal. Even then the Blues will have to eat some of that contract...

And if they trade Parayko for anyone other than an all-star player, I'd be furious and go all griffin-like on the Blues... He's one of only 3 or 4 players on this team that I think can be a future HOF'er...

griff - Dude, you got a real hard-on for the boyz in Blue this year. I agree the team as it stands today will not make it past round 2. Especially with Chicago in the mix. If the Hawks are healthy and firing on all cylinders, they will be in the finals ... no matter what the Blues do with trades. But a lot can happen between now and April.

Allen is a non-factor. He isn't going to win or lose a Cup. He's good enough to support a good team. He isn't Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur but not many are. And yes, he's fully capable of laying an egg, just like 95% of the netminders in the NHL. If they get on a roll in the playoffs, you hope he can play at the top of his game, maybe even steal one or two and avoid the ugly losses...

I don't see this team as soft. I see them with a tenacious forecheck and a pretty good 2-way game, when their on. The style Hitch wants them to play isn't as much about banging hard on the boards as much as it is finishing checks, cutting off passing lanes/angles and disrupting the other team's exit from the defensive zone. The only place I see them as weak or soft is in front of the net, where Backes and Brouwer could muck it up better than the guys we have now. As far as I'm concerned, that's where they need to be looking for a trade. But as stated earlier, so is every other team in the league...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11534

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page