CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1
yeehaw

Reged: 12/28/05
Loc: LSL, MO

Camera guys
      #254196 - 12/18/16 05:28 PM

So I sent a blinkie to Wu, but figured I'd open it up to everyone. And since this is the only forum anyone checks around this hellhole anymore, I'm putting it here. So here's the pickle. I've wanted a cool camera for YEARS and I always threaten to buy one but never do. All of my basic research said Nikon or Canon with the standard 18-55mm plus pop for the 70-200mm lens as well. I'm thinking $500 price range. Well my wife was directed to Creve Coeur Camera but a photographer friend of ours. She told them I'm a hunter and we have 3 boys in sports so most of the pix would be action stuff. She came home with a Panasonic Lumix G that comes with a shorty lens, apparently will take two different brands of lenses, and they said it was "mirror-less". There is one free class I get to learn how to use the damn thing. Supposedly this thing, plus a warranty was over $1000. Should I take it back and tell them to piss up a rope, or did she do good with this purchase? I have no damn idea what I'm doing here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Camera guys [Re: yeehaw]
      #254197 - 12/18/16 07:52 PM

Not an expert by any means.

I had a Panasonic Lumix years ago....my entry level camera when I was into photography.

When I got more serious I sold it and bought a Canon setup as it had more "expandability ".

The Canon folks will say go with Canon. The Nikon folks will say go with Nikon.

I took some decent photos with the Lumix and better shots with the Canon before my eyes went to chit and I couldn't see the screen good enough to know if the shots were in focus enough and sold it all.

Unless the Lumix has changed a bunch in he last 15 years you can take some pretty good "point and shoot" photos with it....but if you are wanting to go all "Wu" "Scout" or "Wack" with your photos, you will surpass the abilities of the camera pretty quick.

Just my perspective.

Edited by dabs (12/18/16 07:54 PM)

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: uphill

Re: Camera guys [Re: dabs]
      #254203 - 12/19/16 10:42 AM

Hi Chris

Dabs pretty much summarized a lot of this up.

I am a DSLR guy and don't have a lot of experience with the 4/3's system-mirrorless camera systems.

but since you asked.....

I called one of the best local photographers I know that shoots the Olympus equivalent to your Panasonic(they can use each brand's lens). This gal has more published photos than you can shake a stick at and some of them were taken with the Olympus--
However, she shoots Nikon when she is 'serious' but loves the Olympus size and weight for using as a walk around/family get together--non commercial/non competition camera.

If the camera is too heavy or cumbersome -- you won't carry it and you will miss a photo that you wish you had something better than you smart phone.

The Panasonic is pretty light and has a smaller form and I'm sure your wife would find it a better fit for her

Might be a bit small for your ham hock hands but you can live with it with a little practice.

The Panasonic your missus picked is a good camera--shoots 4K video if you are into video.
4K is state of the art when it comes to video-- most of the DSLRs in that price range shoot 1080p

She suggested that if you are going to shoot 'action' you set the camera to the slower setting---seems the higher frame rate is a lot more touchy and might have shots that are not in focus in the burst

The slower burst has a much better in focus rate if you are shooting action per her experience

The alternative is to extract "stills" from the video

Bottom line is... it is a good consumer camera.

Because of the sensor size, you can take the lens in millimeters and 'double' it to get a 35mm equivalent

So if you got the 14-40 'kit' lens you have a 28-80 equivalent which gives you a semi-wide angle at 28mm(wide is 24 mm or less)and a good portrait lens at 80 mm--
a good family occasions type camera

Olympus has a 50-150 (100-300) which gets you to the minimum 'bird lens with the addition of a tele-extender to over 400mm.

Is it the set up I would have picked? Probably not but my picks would put a lot bigger dent in your bank account and 2nd guessing your lovely bride who probably got tired of you not buying a camera system might end up being more costly-- if not in sleep on the couch time for being a forking know it all and then asking a bunch of internet yahoos

Final thought
$1,000 camera is a lot cheaper than a divorce attorney and if it doesn't work out for you---
then you can look at a Canon 80D and a 70-200 or something else like a Canon 7DMII and 100-400 L II

Until then, smile--take the class and have fun with the set up she bought your family

just saying

Wu

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: Camera guys [Re: wuchang]
      #254204 - 12/19/16 11:15 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Hi Chris

I am a DSLR guy and don't have a lot of experience with the 4/3's system-mirrorless camera systems.

but since you asked.....

I called one of the best local photographers I know that shoots the Olympus equivalent to your Panasonic(they can use each brand's lens). This gal has more published photos than you can shake a stick at and some of them were taken with the Olympus--
However, she shoots Nikon when she is 'serious' but loves the Olympus size and weight for using as a walk around/family get together--non commercial/non competition camera.

If the camera is too heavy or cumbersome -- you won't carry it and you will miss a photo that you wish you had something better than you smart phone.

The Panasonic is pretty light and has a smaller form and I'm sure your wife would find it a better fit for her

Might be a bit small for your ham hock hands but you can live with it with a little practice.

The Panasonic your missus picked is a good camera--shoots 4K video if you are into video.
4K is state of the art when it comes to video-- most of the DSLRs in that price range shoot 1080p

She suggested that if you are going to shoot 'action' you set the camera to the slower setting---seems the higher frame rate is a lot more touchy and might have shots that are not in focus in the burst

The slower burst has a much better in focus rate if you are shooting action per her experience

Because of the sensor size, you can take the lens in millimeters and 'double' it to get a 35mm equivalent

So if you got the 14-40 'kit' lens you have a 28-80 equivalent which gives you a semi-wide angle at 28mm(wide is 24 mm or less)and a good portrait lens at 80 mm--

Olympus has a 50-150 (100-300) which gets you to the minimum 'bird lens with the addition of a tele-extender to over 400mm.

Is it the set up I would have picked? Probably not but my picks would put a lot bigger dent in your bank account and 2nd guessing your lovely bride who probably got tired of you not buying a camera system might end up being more costly-- if not in sleep on the couch time for being a forking know it all and then asking a bunch of internet yahoos

Final thought
$1,000 camera is a lot cheaper than a divorce attorney and if it doesn't work out for you---
then you can look at a Canon 80D and a 70-200 or something else like a Canon 7DMII and 100-400 L II

Until then, smile--take the class and have fun with the set up she bought your family

just saying

Wu

Exactly!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

yeehaw

Re: Camera guys [Re: griffin]
      #254206 - 12/19/16 12:43 PM

Dabs & Wu.....mucho gracias!

Griff....couldn't have said it better myself

flocked

Reged: 12/16/06
Loc: missouri

Re: Camera guys [Re: griffin]
      #254207 - 12/19/16 12:44 PM

camera phone

wuchangAdministrator

Re: Camera guys [Re: flocked]
      #254208 - 12/19/16 02:25 PM

Chris

This came in the email today

Might be of use to you

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pho...r-thirds-lenses

Good luck

yeehaw

#254209 - 12/19/16 05:32 PM

Great reading.....for someone that knows what the hell that all means. I've got a lot to learn

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: Camera guys [Re: yeehaw]
      #254241 - 12/25/16 02:49 PM

I'm the one who overpaid for dabs'"point and shoot" throw away......so my expert advice is to listen to wu or scooter...

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Camera guys [Re: Bubba]
      #254253 - 12/27/16 07:28 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
I'm the one who overpaid for dabs'"point and shoot" throw away......so my expert advice is to listen to wu or scooter...

Nope....you overpaid for my sisters "point and shoot"

SUPERX2

Loc: MO

#254278 - 01/03/17 06:33 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Hi Chris

but since you asked.....

Final thought

just saying

Wu

Yeah, what he said! I was just getting ready to say the same thing!

wuchangAdministrator

Re: Camera guys [Re: SUPERX2]
      #254279 - 01/04/17 07:40 AM

Now if anyone has $6k that wants to buy a top of the line Canon 1DXII and let me 'field test' it for a year or two for them....

I'm your Huckleberry

Just sayin

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

#254284 - 01/05/17 04:27 PM

I gots a Kodak 110,,,fits rite in my shirt pocket,need to find a tri-pod mount for it. Gets a lil fuzzy at the longer distances,,must be wiggling

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 630

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page