CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)
DjF
little buddie

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: staring at an empty mailbox...

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: griffin]
      #255067 - 05/07/17 10:17 PM

Exactly how i feel about this boneheaded westside baseball team...

--------------------
somewhere between "Hi, how can we help you?" and "Get off my lawn!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: DjF]
      #255068 - 05/08/17 05:39 AM

Well, for what they had to work with I thought they had a pretty dang good run.

They need guys who can actually finish. They went through the work, they had a lot of opportunities and not just yesterday either. But they couldn't close the deal.

They need changes up front, good luck with that. They are all DA guys. Stillman needs to step in and remove him or insist on him making specific moves.

The Blues should expose some of these contracts to Las Vegas and see if they bite. Others should be protected.

I'll give ya this griffin, I could have strangled Perron yesterday.
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: last_stand]
      #255070 - 05/08/17 01:18 PM

When a player shows you what they are, in terms of talent, hockey smarts, character, heart, soul, etc... you know what you have. Talent can be developed and the mistakes of youth an inexperience should never be confused with a lack of heart or even hockey smarts. But we have players that have shown season after season they are not what makes a winning team. Players that quit on a coach and got him fired. Players than have never or rarely stepped up in the biggest games and the critical moments. Players than have contracts far to big for their contribution.

The way I see it, this team does not need a complete rebuild. They need a retooling that includes getting rid of some of the dead weight and adding a few players that are simply bad-arses, when it comes to competing and holding their teammates (and themselves) accountable for anyhting less than a 100% effort. It is bad enough that slugs like Berglund (and others) play at 50% or 60% or 80% effort most of the time. What makes it worse is that nobody on that team calls them out and gets in their face.

The Blues need a player or two that doesn't care if you like him. He's going to get in your face, if you're not giving 100%. They need to get a little faster. I'm not concerned with their size, as long as they stay in the upper half of the league, in size, speed is the real issue. And they need one more pure scorer. You can't win when only one guy has the potential to score on every shift. The opposing teams can simply lock him down and make you beat them with one of your other guys. That's a problem, when all of your other guys are mediocre...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: sptsman]
      #255071 - 05/08/17 04:29 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
When a player shows you what they are, in terms of talent, hockey smarts, character, heart, soul, etc... you know what you have. Talent can be developed and the mistakes of youth an inexperience should never be confused with a lack of heart or even hockey smarts. But we have players that have shown season after season they are not what makes a winning team. Players that quit on a coach and got him fired. Players than have never or rarely stepped up in the biggest games and the critical moments. Players than have contracts far to big for their contribution.

And let's not forget that we added a couple just to make this year more special ......GUYS WHO ALREADY HAD THAT REPUTATION WITH THE REST OF THE LEAGUE!!

Get rid of Armstrong first!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#255077 - 05/09/17 07:22 AM

And who do you replace Armstrong with? He built teams that were one if the four best in the NHL last year and one of the eight best this year. Yes, they have holes. Yes, they have a few bad contracts. Show me any NHL team that doesn't. I have no problem replacing him, if I see someone better available. I don't. Would love to know who everyone thinks would be better. I guess, I see a decent core and a need for a few critical moves. If you really think a complete blow up of the roster is in order, I suppose you want a new owner, GM, coaches and players...

Perhaps Stillman has looked and looked hard but can't find anyone better. And perhaps they do, in fact, have a plan that had this year earmarked as a transitional year. The defense is solid and will only improve offensively (and in transition) as a few of the young guns mature. The net minding is solid for the next few years. The offense needs some tweaking but it has some decent players that just need more depth / talent on the #2 &3 lines.

And finally, the remaining games are simply some great hockey to watch. Can't wait to watch the Pens vs Caps game 7!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#255079 - 05/09/17 09:53 AM

What is the "decent core" of this team as you see it? I doubt it's much bigger than mine. This team just sucks in so many ways.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#255114 - 05/16/17 05:04 PM

This team does not need to be blown up. But it does need changes and they are going to be difficult to make because of the handcuffs the GM has put on the Blues. The Stasny contract has not panned out. 1 year remains. The Lehtera contract is a mess. 3 years remaining? Then the Berglund contract is NOT in the Blues long term interest and ties up money that would have been better spent RIGHT NOW. How long has he been at this? How long does he get to close this deal?? I'd rather see Barbashev out there than Berglund, any day. Why the hell not?

I'm going to agree that Armstrong is not going anywhere for now. We are stuck with him. On the threshold and holding. And holding. But he needs to be told about status quo, about the opportunity right in front of him.

If DA is truly a good GM, time to actually prove it. The Blues need a couple of big moves for scoring power. The right moves. And yeah, he's got to get it right. That's what good GM's do.

--------------------

last_stand

#255233 - 06/08/17 04:56 PM

Anybody want to guess who goes to the Knights?

Do the Blues dump Lehtera and give up a good draft pick doing it?

Is Reaves exposed?

Truth is this thing is a crap shoot based on who the Blues protect and who/what the Knights need. Knights have more deals to consider than a human brain can handle. I do think they will grab as many draft picks as they can out of this thing and then be making deals all summer long while they use 'em up well past the expansion draft.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#255234 - 06/08/17 06:53 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Anybody want to guess who goes to the Knights?

Rosenthal.

griffin

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#255272 - 06/18/17 11:28 AM

Looks like Perron and Lehtera are the big names not protected in the expansion draft. Too bad they can't both get picked and shipped off.

Bortuzzo and and Gunnerson on defense not protected.....neither is Upshall.

Nice to see them hold on to Reaves. (for now)

griffin

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#255285 - 06/21/17 06:02 PM

Bump...

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: Bubba]
      #255286 - 06/21/17 08:22 PM

Perron gone.....5th team in 4 years.....but no, he's a guy you really need on your team.

Good riddance.

griffin

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11493

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page