CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1
OzarkModerator

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: out in the woods

Dunkel Weizenbock?
      #120001 - 10/10/07 03:09 PM

I made myself useful yesterday. I put a new counter top on my outdoor fish-cleaning table and installed a new deep sink in it. It's now a combination fish cleaning/brewing table.

My California cousin showed up on a big Gold Wing motorcycle, he's coming back from Florida after completing the Four Corners Tour. A friend I used to work with showed up about that time, and we all found the Oktoberfest assortment in my garage 'fridge.

So we broke in the new improved table and brewed a batch of beer. I had a 60 lb. bucket of wheat malt syrup, so we based a recipe on that:

Dunkel Weizenbock - 10 gallons

18 lbs. wheat malt syrup (65% wheat, 35% barley)
2 lbs. crushed chocolate malt
2 1/4 oz. Hallertauer hop pellets (bittering) 4.2% alpha
1/2 tsp. Irish Moss clarifier
3/4 oz. Hallertauer hop pellets (finishing) 4.2% alpha
2 packs SAF-23 dry lager yeast

Starting gravity - I dunno, 'bout 1.060, I guess. Didn't check it - I was drinking Oktoberfest.

Today I've got two 6 1/2 gallon carboys with 5 gallons of beer in each, happily fermenting away on the concrete floor of my downstairs carpenter shop. The temp is about 65 deg., and they've got about 1/2" of white foam. The beer is blacker than Toby's ass.

It's good to get back into brewing, it's been a long time since I made a batch.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

Re: Dunkel Weizenbock? [Re: Ozark]
      #120125 - 10/11/07 01:41 PM

Ozark is brewing again?

Just remember... you can NEVER have too many friends!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

Re: Dunkel Weizenbock? [Re: Forsythian]
      #120265 - 10/12/07 01:13 AM

Quote:

Forsythian said:
you can NEVER have too many friends!

Yeah? I've got lots of experience with that. Like when they start sorting thru all the bottles of homebrew in my 'fridge - "Hey, ya got any more of that #16? #16 sure is good stuff!" Ya gotta hate it when the heathens get picky.

As soon as those two primary carboys slow down in a couple of days, I'll rack them off into 5 gallon secondaries. I'm gonna brew again that day, chill the wort, and siphon it right on top of the yeast sediment in those primaries.

I like doing that - fermentation kicks off right away. I think I'll make a light-colored heavy-bodied beer this time with no specialty grains. It can pick up some color and flavor from the yeast dregs of the dark batch I've got going now - that'll make it a malty amber lager, and I'll call it an Oktoberfest.

p.s. - I spent today trolling a deep-running plug along the rocky bluffs from Barker Hole down to Beaver Creek. Caught one 19 1/2" walleye, 2 short bass, 2 drum, and a bunch of perch. I usually won't keep just one fish, but the walleye got fileted for supper.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

Re: Dunkel Weizenbock? [Re: Ozark]
      #120348 - 10/12/07 01:51 PM

Quote:

Ozark said:
I spent today trolling a deep-running plug along the rocky bluffs from Barker Hole down to Beaver Creek.

Yeah, well, I spent yesterday working

I plan to get out there this evening for an hour or two... tomorrow's booked pretty well but Sunday I'm thinking about spending the day in the Elbow/Fine Addition area. Hopefully these last few cool nights have energized the smallmouth. Kdock's not done much for me lately...

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 158

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page