lying_in_wait
(member)
01/15/09 04:57 AM
Re: Building a .410 reloader

Well I built the hand loader and it seems to work. I'll try to take some pics later but so far I have a de-capper and shell chamber similar to the Lee Loader, a priming rod/wad seater, a hull conditioning tool and a roll crimper.

My initial thought was to build a die that would re size the brass when ya tap the spent hull in just like the Lee Loader. After filling the hull it would be removed and a spindex crimp started would be pressed over it. Then it would go back in the die and crimp closer would be rammed down the end. Still may build that version too.

I sort of got side tracked on the idea of roll crimping rather than 6 point, but I was able to find a bit of info and some pics of homemade roll crimpers on a shooting website, so off to the shop I went. An hour later I had a neat looking little brass tool, the only question is would it work. I stuck it in the drill press and fired it up. Grabbed a handful of assorted hulls that I scrounged at the range to practice with and gave it a whirl. First try, perfect roll crimp! Second try, same thing. I did some Federal hulls and some Remington hulls and they came out just as good as the factory rolls. Although the skived ends rolled nicely, if I trimmed off the folds they rolled even easier and looked better.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5