sptsman
(member)
08/21/16 01:57 AM
Hummingbirds devouring my sugar

I have three feeders on my front porch. I went from one to two to three this years to keep the dominant birds from running off all of the other birds. It has worked too well. I went from seeing 3 or 4 buzzing around to seeing 12-15 most days and them emptying the feeders almost daily. They are using the crab-apple tree about 20 feet away as their refuge and hit the feeders from dawn 'til dusk. I'm using a 4 to 1 ration of nectar concentrate or sugar. Been mixing it up to see what they prefer and there verdict is in: They couldn't care less. Just give them the sweet stuff and they suck it down...

I have a porch swing within 5 feet of two of the feeders and the other is only 10' or less away. If you sit still, they buzz within inches of your head. I haven't taken the time to try it but I'm sure if I held the feeder and was perfectly still, they would come just as if I wasn't there. Not sure if they've just become acclimated to people or they're just oblivious...

Always nice to have them around, especially when the grandkids come and sit on the porch swing with me...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5