halfasmuch
(action hero)
08/01/12 11:03 AM
Woul you do this? actually vote Donkey in the Primary?

I have never voted Donkey in August.... A retired friend of the family has lost his mind and is running for state rep as a donkey... he has asked me to vote for him!

Do I do the friendly thing and deny Todd Akin his vote?

Ozark
(member)
08/01/12 01:29 PM
Re: Woul you do this? actually vote Donkey in the Primary?

I've never voted for a Dem in my life and I never will. If I did, I'm afraid both of my grandpas and my dad would raise right up out of their graves and, well, it wouldn't be good.

The problem is, even if you like an individual Democrat politician, there's the party connection. They get in office and then they're beholden to the Democrat party, so they have to vote a certain way, hire certain people, throw some pork to certain backers, etc. So, even if your Democrat friend is a good guy personally, putting him in office makes his party stronger and the party is evil and working hard against everything you believe in. A vote for your friend helps Obama, Pelosi, et al. Yup.

I had a Democrat politician friend in CA and I was a partner in a printing business at the time. Through a couple of elections we did his campaign printing (and got paid well for it), attended his parties and drank his booze. I'm sure he thought I was voting for him but both times I voted for his Republican opponent and just didn't mention that part to him.

Nope. Don't do it.

67Firebird
(Former political advocate)
08/01/12 01:56 PM

NO! Like Ozark said, I've never voted for a Democrat, and I never will. There is no justification for it.

Hellbender
(member)
08/01/12 01:57 PM

I thought you had to be party registered to vote in the primary and were limited to that ballot?

halfasmuch
(action hero)
08/01/12 02:35 PM

HB,

As I understand it .. all you have to declare is donkey or GOP upon entry... no registration required.....

you are given a donkey ballot or a GOP ballet/

sptsman
(member)
08/01/12 03:34 PM

There was a day when I would vote for a Dem, if I thought they were the better candidate. With the hyper-partisan ways of politicians and they way they vote in blocks, I think it would be damn hard to even vote for my brother, if he ran as a Dem...

halfasmuch
(action hero)
08/08/12 02:53 PM

SO I get to the polling place ... still have my dilemma.. Joe's daughter is handing out flyers and tells me that he is running Unopposed.

That it made it ez, Got a GOP ballot and got to vote for AKIN!

and in a bit of irony... 3 GOPS handing out literature and Joe's daughter on the other side...

Joe was running Unopposed but daughter was handing out flyers/. His opponent to be on the GOP side was also UNopposed but also had a worker handing out flyers...

my guess is that these type of candidates just ride the wave... If Spence, Akin and ROmney win the state, Joe is chit out of luck and Haefner goes back to the state house.

wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
08/08/12 05:55 PM

Halfy

Primary voters,being "motivated" establish base levels of votes and might be looked at as the minimum level of support.

If you can find the vote totals in the last presidential election for your friends area, then you can establish a maximum.

However,I think the McCaskill race will set the tone this time-- not the one and done empty suit in the White House

halfasmuch
(action hero)
08/09/12 11:26 AM

Senator McGasket actually paid for Ads that said AKIN was TOO CONSERVATIVE.. Her campaign wanted him to win...they thought their best change for re-election was against him...

Now she will find out.

Nontypical
(member)
08/10/12 11:10 PM

It is time for "AirClaire" to leave and quit livin the high life on our dime, let her do it on her hubby's money.
She was the deciding vote for "The unaffordable healthcare tax" and then spents months running her mouth about how "Missourians are just uninformed, when they understand it they will love this bill." Far as I'm concerned the greedy witch can cram all 2700 pages up her bunghole as she's leaving

I thought her ads against Akin were actually ads for Akin!

sptsman
(member)
08/11/12 06:34 PM

The ads she was running were for Akin. She was helping him win the Primary. Apparently her camp thinks he is the best candidate for her to get re-elected. I guess we'll see...

Unless he steps on his pecker or gets caught with under-age girls, he's going to win this race by 10 points or more.

Ozark
(member)
08/11/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Unless he steps on his pecker or gets caught with under-age girls, he's going to win this race by 10 points or more.

I've heard it's important for politicians to never get caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy - other than that, they can get away with most anything.

I think Steelman would have been a stronger candidate, but McCaskill's so awful I think Akin can beat her. Hope so, anyway.

Hellbender
(member)
08/12/12 05:02 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
The ads she was running were for Akin. She was helping him win the Primary. Apparently her camp thinks he is the best candidate for her to get re-elected. I guess we'll see...

I agree. They were hitting Brunner also and I think they had something on Steelman that they were saving. I think because he has voted in congress they can nitpick and make him look as bad as she is, then they'll also stay on the vets bandwagon. The vets are her ticket, even though saying you want to help them is like saying you want to help kids. It's something that virtually no one is against.

Paul Dallas
(member)
08/20/12 12:50 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:

uh . . . he just stepped on his pecker

duko™
(member)
08/20/12 03:04 AM

Not really. At least not the way fat azz clair is making it seem. She come out and made a statement that TA had no compassion for rape victims. That is as far from the truth as she is a treadmill. I can't even see how his comment was really an insult. More of a medical opinion than anything.

All he said was that the human body has its own way of rejecting conception under traumatic conditions. He in no way berated a rape victim. That is just how that pork faced broad is trying to spin it.

It probably didn't help that he was being interviewed by that liberal puke headed mofo charles jaco. I bet he was foaming at the mouth after the interview was over waiting for his video editors to produce a smear ad.

duko

halfasmuch
(action hero)
08/20/12 10:31 AM

Duko

Perception.. Perception... Tood just lost several Hundred THOUSAND votes...

Where is his campaign manager and why didn't he do a rebuttal interview TO McGAsket?

Ozark
(member)
08/20/12 01:33 PM

That's the trouble with nominating these ya-hoos from the "moral" end of the Republican Party. Instead of working toward what we need - a strong country run with a limited government and financial responsibility that affords its citizens a great deal of personal freedom, they want to legislate their religion on us.

Next thing ya know, they're wasting time worrying about school prayer, abortion, evolution being taught to kids, etc., etc. Hell, they'd outlaw alcohol if they could - they already tried that once.

AND - they make ridiculous statements (or seem to) during campaigns that their Democrat opponents can pounce on and distort. Best thing Akin could do is not say a word between now and the election, 'cause he's liable to say the earth is 4000 years old or come out against dancing, or something. He oughta just keep his mouth shut until November and let people vote AGAINST McCaskill. Yup.

duko™
(member)
08/20/12 02:38 PM

The abortion issue is old news anyway. Its a lose/lose question for any Conservative when they're being interviewed by a liberal journalist.

You're right. The best thing he could have done is said "next question", and hope that its about the economy.

Talk radio was full of dingbat women this morning calling in and saying that Aiken has no compassion for rape victims. Thats nonsense! That is just how the libs are trying to spin his comment. He may be off base and wrong about the physiology part of conception, but he never said anything that would lead you to believe he thinks its the fault of the victim.

duko

Paul Dallas
(member)
08/20/12 03:31 PM

Nothing there to spin -- and no way for him to say he misspoke. Good grief, how do you do damage control on those comments --- you can't! His own party is calling for him to step down, and he should. I'm predicting it will come by the end of the day.

Merry Christmas, Claire.

Forsythian
(member)
08/20/12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Ozark said:
That's the trouble with nominating these ya-hoos from the "moral" end of the Republican Party. Instead of working toward what we need - a strong country run with a limited government and financial responsibility that affords its citizens a great deal of personal freedom, they want to legislate their religion on us.

Next thing ya know, they're wasting time worrying about school prayer, abortion, evolution being taught to kids, etc., etc. Hell, they'd outlaw alcohol if they could - they already tried that once.

AND - they make ridiculous statements (or seem to) during campaigns that their Democrat opponents can pounce on and distort. Best thing Akin could do is not say a word between now and the election, 'cause he's liable to say the earth is 4000 years old or come out against dancing, or something. He oughta just keep his mouth shut until November and let people vote AGAINST McCaskill. Yup.

Couldn't agree more... when are we gonna separate fiscal conservatism from this wackiness? Good effen' grief, what a complete dumass. I hope Mr. Dallas is right.

What we need right now is a Libertarian George Washington.

fish
(senior member - literally)
08/20/12 06:36 PM

Well the dems got Joe foot-in-mouth- Biden but what he sez gets reported as "Oh that's just good ole joe". Now Missouri has its Todd "I-really-stepped-in-it" Aiken w/ a 10 point lead over claire and his misspoke has created a national firestorm. However I agree his statement was totally stoopid and political suicide. McCowskil is doing a happy dance about now. Damn shame !!!

Aiken is doing a live radio interview on Hannity now.

sptsman
(member)
08/20/12 06:46 PM

This gaffe has far more legs nationally than it does in Missouri. I can't imagine it will cost him even one vote, much less the 100K halfy estimates. Who, in their right mind, is going to change their vote based on this? You didn't know exactly what he stood for and how he thought about abortion? The faux outrage and all of the calls that people aren't going to vote for him now are a joke. This will blow over in matter of days and he can get on with beating Claire by 10+ points in the election.

By the way, he was not my choice to run against her. If the GOP panics and forces him out, it won't hurt my feelings one bit. I am reasonable sure that any one of them could beat Claire in the general election anyway. Hard to imagine having a worse Senator than she has been...

duko™
(member)
08/20/12 06:56 PM

Bear with me here, and maybe I'm just cold hearted, but I don't know what he said that was so bad?

Let me explain.

First, his accusations that a women's body can medically reject conception by rape may be totally wrong, however, how is that an insult or degrading to a rape victim? To me it just came off as him giving bad medical advice. If he would quote the source than I think that would take a lot of heat off him.

2. I took his comment about "legitimate rape" as meaning those women who are actually raped, not the ones who got drunk, consented, and then after waking up the next morning and feeling guilty cried rape. Like Naz's girlfriends... Instead, the media has spun it into something it's not, suggesting that Aiken doesn't consider it rape unless the woman gets pregnant.

I will admit he probably could have used a better choice of words other than "some punishment" when he was referring to the attacker, and then showed a bit more compassion for the victim.

Other than that I don't see what the big deal is. IMO, MCcaskill was quick enough to spin this into some kind of Aiken hatred for rape victims, and the media made it grow like wildfire.

duko

fish
(senior member - literally)
08/20/12 07:02 PM

In the for what it is worth department... Hannity said, and not delicately, that he (Aiken) should seriously think about stepping down for the good of the party and as a political analyst thinks that that interview will heard for the next 79 days.

I agree but what do I know.

He also thinks that Romney can't win the w/o carrying MOMO land but what does he know.

halfasmuch
(action hero)
08/20/12 07:50 PM

I am not in favor of Akin stepping aside but he has to say something at this point! or go join one of those really really right wing groups holed up on Bull Shoals and leave political life all together....

Its not going to blow over on its own...

Paul Dallas
(member)
08/20/12 08:00 PM

Quote:

duko™ said:
Bear with me here, and maybe I'm just cold hearted, but I don't know what he said that was so bad?

Let me explain.

First, his accusations that a women's body can medically reject conception by rape may be totally wrong, however, how is that an insult or degrading to a rape victim? To me it just came off as him giving bad medical advice. If he would quote the source than I think that would take a lot of heat off him.

2. I took his comment about "legitimate rape" as meaning those women who are actually raped, not the ones who got drunk, consented, and then after waking up the next morning and feeling guilty cried rape. Like Naz's girlfriends... Instead, the media has spun it into something it's not, suggesting that Aiken doesn't consider it rape unless the woman gets pregnant.

I will admit he probably could have used a better choice of words other than "some punishment" when he was referring to the attacker, and then showed a bit more compassion for the victim.

Other than that I don't see what the big deal is. IMO, MCcaskill was quick enough to spin this into some kind of Aiken hatred for rape victims, and the media made it grow like wildfire.

duko

I think your average 4th grader has a better grip on the birds and bees than this nutjob. And he's running for US Senate? He's been in office how long?? Thats what I found most offensive -- that someone we hold and trust to a pretty high and important office could be this scientifically and biology 101 clueless. Makes you wonder what other gaps in his education or critical thinking may still remain uncovered.

As for the "legitimate rape" comment, well he might as well have said that he believes many rapes are illegitimate, or without merit, or the girl is lying. Sounds a little too backwoods preacherman from the year 1806.

This interview will dog him the rest of his political days. Unless he steps down and they get him replaced pronto, unfortunately Claire will win again. She already has the urban votes, now she'll have the soccer moms and even old ladies will drive out to the polls in bad weather in force to see him lose based on this alone, issues be damned.

DjF
(little buddie)
08/20/12 09:38 PM

I think what he was referring to with "legitimate rape" is that rape victims in Missouri can get public funding to pay for an abortion...so, some claim to have been raped so as to get an abortion they can't afford or have no insurance to pay for...

He's stupid none the less...

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
08/21/12 03:24 AM

Duko.....while you and I can agree on all of what you posted....you should have heard my normally right thinking buds today over lunch....Akin is dumb as a box of rocks....it's over.

I agree with Ozark.....if the GOP is going to hitch it's wagon to religious zealots.....again, it's over. I can't even get behind these nutjobs, and I don't ever remember voting for a single lib in any election for any post.

Claire is evil.....Akin is a moron. I can deal with evil...I hate stupid.

griffin

RafeHollister
(member)
08/21/12 12:55 PM

Bill Clinton is accused of rape or assault by a few different women and the donkeys circle the wagons around him. Akin says something stupid about rape and they call for his head. Ridiculous.

Nonetheless, I voted for Bruner and would be happy to see Akin bow out and Bruner step in.

rb.
(member)
08/21/12 04:44 PM

All the moron had to say as an answer to the question he was asked was NO. He was trying to be too political with the answer and is not smart enough to pull it off. Everyone knows he is oppoesed to abortion in rape so NO would have been a non event.

Hellbender
(member)
08/22/12 03:08 PM

Akin should resign. He was weak from the start and Claires handlers knew it. All he had to do was keep quiet and talk about Washington, but like an idiot he gets drawn into the diversion and then makes a fool of himself. I didn't care that much for Steelman, but when I realized she was the one they were afraid of she got my vote.
Any candidate that is dumb enough to blow a sure fire thing by saying something ridiculous and ignorant doesn't deserve to be in the race.
It's too bad there isn't a 50% of the vote rule. Would be in a run off.

Jaeger
(member)
08/29/12 11:30 PM

If you don't know where babies come from you can't be a senator.

Ozark
(member)
08/30/12 01:41 PM

Akin needs to drop out of the race while there's still time to appoint another Republican candidate - otherwise McCaskill is gonna get re-elected, that's obvious.

Akin is an idiot for saying what he did, but the heck of it is that he's technically right. Son-in-law is a medical doctor and I talked it over with him. Sure enough, a real, (legitimate) violent rape seldom causes pregnancy. Pregnancy resulting from violent rape is possible, but hardly ever happens. The hormone levels and acidity present in the womb lining have to be just right and within a narrow range for a fertilized egg to attach and be nurtured. High stress, panic, violence, fighting, etc., throws the body chemistry 'way off so a woman's system won't begin a pregnancy. It's nature's way of seeing that if a baby is to be born, it's born into some kind of stable situation so the mother will have a chance to raise it.

Also, government-funded abortion has become the primary birth control method of many low-income women, especially blacks. As someone here already said, if they say they got raped Medicaid pays for the abortions - as many as 5 or 6 a year for some women, according to a nurse my daughter works with. All they've gotta do is say they got raped and government pays. Simple.

A side thought: Under sensible rules, Medicaid would require a copy of the police report of her rape that the woman made back when it happened. You know, a couple of months before she knew she was pregnant. Uh-huh. I can hear the liberals scream from here!

Akin is opposed to abortion anyway and he knows that the vast majority of women who get government-paid "rape" abortions are lying. That's what he was trying to say but it's something you CAN'T say without liberal women going batshit-crazy in today's political environment, and the Dems exploit that. He's a damn fool for saying it at all and for losing an election we could have won. He needs to drop out, NOW, 'cause somebody else could still beat McCaskill.

hillbilly
(member)
08/30/12 07:05 PM

I think Jaeger had a post some time ago concerning when life starts. It was spot on and still applies, even with life from a rape. That is a choice a woman has to make. If I were a woman in this situation I guess you would have to call me a murderer too. I don't know if that is hypocrisy or just one of those really hard life choices that no one should have to make? I just don't know what to think about Akin, is he just stupid for his remark or standing up to his convictions?

Hellbender
(member)
09/01/12 06:23 PM

I wonder why the republican hierarchy who have shunned Akin didn't started a write in campaign for Steelman? If they had Akin might well have bailed, but now he's banking on them "coming around", rather then let McCaskill win.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5