sptsman
(member)
01/31/11 06:47 PM
Re: Whelp finally...

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Who would you rather have seen the Cardinals try to sign last season......Matt Holliday for $120 million over 7 years or Albert for $20-25 million for the same length of time? I know what I would have rather seen.

You base your entire argument on a false premise and a position the vast majority of owners and GM's will never embrace (nor should they).

Your false premise is that Pujols would have signed a deal for $20-$25 million for any length of time. 7 years at $20-$25 mil is bordering on comical. Did you see the other signings last year? Do you think Pujols is on the same page as Ryan Howard? There is no chance, zero, zip, nada that he signs last year this year or next year for any less than $26-28 million for a long term deal. And if it is shorter than 6 or 7 years, it will have to be or would have had to be $30+. I am pretty confident that the Cardinals would have jumped all over and extension last year for $20 - $25 million over 7 years. It wasn't a possibility, I'd bet my house on that reality.

Your position of paying player for what he did and not what he will do for you is just not going to happen. If he was underpaid, he should fire his agent and get one that can get him what he should be paid. It is not the responsibility of a club (and the fans by default) to pay for the services already rendered. The ONLY thing the Cardinals should be considering is what he is worth for the next____(insert length of extension here)years. That formula is certainly a combination of play on the field, as well as value to the team is other ways (butts in the seats, merchandise, PR, etc.).

You also presume he will just quit when he isn't worth the $30 mil he's going to get paid. Really? The same guy that is willing to hold his team and the fans that adore him hostage for all the cash he can pocket is going to just walk away from that cash? Yeah riiiiiiiight.

I too hope they sign him and I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen. But you have to be a realist and that reality as that this is a 50/50 proposition at best. IF he doesn't, I'll still be a Cards fan. This franchise will still put 3 million fans in the seats and life will go on. IF they do sign him, we'll all be happier ... as long as their winning...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5