sptsman
(member)
08/21/12 12:51 AM
Re: Cardinals 2012

Good read and he backs it up with waaaaay more stats than I am ever going to look up (come to think of it, I'm rarely going to look up any stats). One huge factor he left out was that Jay was on base three more times after he took Craig out for Descalso. All three times, he was followed by the worst hitting position player on the team. And the salt in the wound was that the guy he was hitting for is the hottest right now.

We're all geniuses after the fact and I would like to think Matheny learned from this. The only thing that concerns me is that he has been regularly playing Descalso, batting around .220 over Skip Schumaker, batting over .300. Descalso has a better glove but hardly enough to justify his weak bat. And to make matters worse, he's batting .100 or less with RISP. In short, he's brutal. Reminds me of when LaRussa kept running Chris Duncam out there when he couldn't hit water, if he fell out of a boat (turned out he was injured but it was the same results).

Again, the real cuplrits in that game were Hoilday, Beltran and Freese. IF you didn't know better, you'd look for a Black Sox-like scandal. All three can't hit mediocre pitching for 12 innings?

Let's hope they have an epiphany here on their day off and come back on a tear...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5