sptsman
(member)
01/23/15 04:08 PM
Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues

In short, YES!!

This team is actually playing a sort of playoff style hockey now. Their forechecking and offensive pressure is very much like what you see in successful playoff hockey. They're winning the battles along the boards and in the corners and they have tremendous puck control, especially in the offensive zone. Most importantly, they have the strength and skill level to compete with Chicago, LA, Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, etc...

Here are the concerns for the playoffs. The first is just luck of the draw... They play in the Western Conference. I think the team that comes out of the West is going to have a harder road than the team from the East. Second, is goaltending. No team wins the Cup without very good or even great netminding. Elliot is a very good goaltender but has not produced in the playoffs. In fact he has flopped in past playoffs. Let's hope he has matured and grown. He has the skills and shows us now he's darn good. But Miller and Halak were very good in the regular seasons too. I am confident he will rise to the task. He's a pretty solid guy, from what we can see. Third is injuries. Last year the Blues limped into the playoffs with several top players not nearly at 100%. They need to stay healthy. I wouldn't even mind seeing a few mysterious "upper body" injuries that give some of the guys a few games off in the last 10-20 games of the season. Fourth is the mind game. This team needs to think like a winner and play like a winner. Going up against Chicago and LA can be very intimidating and the Blues folded like a cheap tent last year. They need to learn how to get up and keep their foot on the throat of the opponent.

I have not seen a Blues team with this good of a chance at the cup in over 20 years.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5