sptsman
(member)
04/06/18 01:46 PM
Re: 2018 Cardinals

At $19.5 million, he's not going anywhere. Best fans can hope for is a season ending injury and that's not really a long shot, with his history. As long as he's healthy, Matheny will keep running him out there. It's a sad situation... A worn-out pitcher making $19.5 mil and a mediocre to poor Manager that has a man crush on him...

I often wonder what percentage of players would walk away from $19 mil or even $1 mil because they know they can't live up to it? Guys like Pujols, Waino, Howard, etc... My guess is less than 1%. First, most people are driven by the almighty dollar. Even guys like these that have more money than they ever dreamed of having can't get enough. Having $200 or $300 mil or more in the bank just isn't enough when there is more for the taking... Second, I think guys like these rationalize that they earned it and deserve it. They see past performance as justification for taking obscene amounts of money for piss poor performance today. And finally, I think most of them think they can still play. Don't bother them with reality, they can still get it done. "Just wait and see what I do tomorrow..." Did anyone watch the Spring Training interviews with Waino? Was there ever a fading, worn-out pitcher so cork of himself?

Great guy and some great memories but as Ferris Bueller said... It's over...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5