griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
06/10/19 08:51 PM
Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread

Here's the way I see the Blues. Their talent is in their work.....I don't even know how it happened, but that's where they are. They have to get the puck behind the opposition defense, get in on the puck, and basically create havoc in the opposing zone until the puck ends up in the net.

This team doesn't have a line that could be the top line on any team in the league.....but they have 4 lines, or sometimes pieces of 4 lines, that are willing to grind and grind until the puck goes in. The bonus is that the unrelenting style also wears the other team down.

Because of their style, they play best when they have the lead. In fact, they really are only THAT team when they do have the lead.

If they get behind, they get away from their game and try to become "goal scorers", and passers (jeez, watch the turnovers mount when that happens).....aside from a very few guys on the team, they just aren't goal scorers. If you don't believe it, go back to the regular season stats and see where they rank as a team and individually.....it's just not their game. It's the same reason their PP is not great.....they don't have pretty play-makers......true goal scorers.

They score by attrition.....period. They win games by getting a lead and keeping it by playing the style that fits their team. They are brutal to play against, a very heavy game....a pounding. They don't win by becoming "goal scorers"....which they try to be when they fall behind AND on the PP.

If the Blues get an early lead, don't take dumb penalties, and just play their heavy game.....they win the cup. Get behind and let the game become a track meet against Boston, and the Bruins win the cup. (I purposely didn't put any of this on their rookie goalie. I'm just counting on him to do what he's done to get them here......but this is not about Binnington)

I like their game and win or lose I'll take it over "pretty" hockey every. single. time. And, I'm impressed by what they have become as a team, even though I don't like 7.3946% of the players. There will be no "I told you so" if they don't win.....the effort has been there....without question. LS, I owe you a beer.

Go Blues!!

griffin

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5