Forsythian
(member)
07/11/08 02:53 PM
Re: What's in the Fridge?

Tried a couple of new ones last night...
The first was a Schafley Scotch-style ale. I'm not a big scotch-drinker... most of my scotch experiences have been late at night when it's time for a pissing contest, so I'm not sure why I bought this other than curiosity. This was my first try with this beer style, and I don't much like it. Tasted kind of fizzy, and I had the impression I was drinking a "flavored" beer rather than a genuine style.
Gave me heartburn too.
The othern was Samuel Smith's IPA. It was pretty good... it has that thicker creamier mouth feel to it, which I guess is a British-ale thing. Personally, I prefer the American PA characteristic of being a bit more crisp. Good hop character was there, but not as hoppy as O'dells and etc. It might be that the "thicker" aspect to it masks some of the hops. For me, there were hints of bock or Octoberfest character to it... I would say it was definitely more complex than the APA's and IPA's I've been drinking lately. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know... but I don't think I'll be switching from my Schafley's any time soon.

cheers

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5