Ozark
(member)
02/14/09 04:43 AM
Re: What's in the Fridge?

I received a couple of packages today from a friend in SoCal who knows what a beer wasteland I live in here in SW Missouri. He still works in the microbrew industry, and he picked some beers he knew I'd like and included descriptions. Some of them are brewed by people we both know.

Some of these are real insider's beers - hard to find even out there. I'm looking forward to giving these a "quality check":

Alesmith Old Numbskull A barleywine from a San Diego brewery founded by a feller I used to know.

Stone Smoked Porter Stone Brewery kicks ass - every year in the smoked beers category at GABF, Stone and Alaska trade off on which one gets the Gold.

Alaska Smoke Porter Their first batch was made when they got bored and it was the off-season at the salmon processing plant next door. Salmon are smoked over Alder wood, so the brewers borrowed some wood from next door and smoked a bunch of pale malt over it. Many GABF gold medals later, they still do it that way every year.

Alesmith Yulesmith Their traditional holiday offering.

Port Brewing Company (3 beers):

.....The Lost Abbey Abbey Ale aged in wooden barrels.

.....Santa's Little Helper Described as a "fun" Imperial Stout.

.....Lost and Found A strong ale brewed with raisins.

Left Coast Brewing Company Hop Juice A ridiculously hopped APA which actually finds some balance.

Anchor Our Special Ale 2008 They do it every year, but hey, it's Anchor - it's gotta be good.

Anchor Small Beer Described by Anchor employees as "the best beer we don't sell". This is the second sparge run from my favorite, Old Foghorn Barleywine. Interesting.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale OK, we know this one even in Missouri. Sierra Nevada = lotsa hops.

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Hmmm. Here's something strange. My friend's a professional brewer and he raves about this stuff and gripes about how he can't hardly find it in CA. He calls it the "pinnacle of brewing art". Now, Goose Island is out of Chicago and they got bought by one of the majors (Miller?, Bud?) I've never seen Bourbon County Stout, but I've been unimpressed with other Goose Island flavors. We'll see - if it's that good it might be something I can actually buy around here.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5