HAUS
(member for now)
10/12/12 04:24 PM
Re: What's in the Fridge?

Spent a few hrs at Avery Brewing in Boulder last night. Been here a bunch before. They continue to amaze with their beer. If you want some of the best, big alcohol beer in the country, Avery is the place.

Some of the highlights:

Uncle Jacob's Stout -- Stout that tasted like straight up chocolate and alcohol. Reminded me of those little chocolate candies with the liquor in the middle. Said it was aged 6 months in a Makers Mark barrel. 17% ABV

Bad Apple -- Sour belgian pale ale the spent 12 months in oak barrels with Granny Smith apples added the last 6 months 6% abv

Eremita IV -- light blonde ale sour spiked with blueberry & juniper that spent 3 yrs in neutral barrels. This one was mild and had a distinct white oak flavor. 9% abv

Chinook Wet-Hopped Pale Ale -- They picked Chinook hops in Niwot Colorado, flew them to the brewery and had a batch in the kettle waiting to go.. 5.7% abv

And to cap it off, my bro-in-law threw down $34 for a 12oz bottle of stout called Margarete. Who the fork throws down $34 for a 12oz bottle?? We do!!
Prolly the most complex and amazing beer I've ever tasted.

Imperial stout brewed with Turbinado sugar & sour cherries. Aged in Buffalo Trace barrels. This was an experiemental batch in 2009 or 2010. The only bottled 89 cases in Jan 2011 and now have 7 bottles left.
Smooth, sweet, thick stout. Flavors of chocolate, cherries, toffee, nuts and raisins. We spent an hour drinking this big one. 15.43% abv.
Not sure if they have it online, but they might have a list of these "vintage" beers. It's called the Captain's List and all of these beers must be drank on premise (??) Some of the beers on the list are nearly 10 yrs old. We let our bartender try a shot cause he said he'd never tried it. He literally freaked out.

We also bought two bottles of their limited release Imperial pumpkin ale called Rumpkin. Pumpkin ale aged in Rum barrels.. 18.9% abv!!! (Haven't drank these yet)

It's been a good start to the trip...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5