sptsman
(member)
01/12/15 09:52 PM
Re: What's in that beer?

Quote:

Ozark said:
Swampy, that article is so ignorant and malicious I don't even know where to start. Hopefully the brewers that got slandered in it will recover some money from whoever wrote it.

Propylene glycol circulates in the cooling bands around a boiling vessel of course - it's never in the beer. GMO crops have had their DNA altered to add one or more beneficial genes, typically to help the plant resist some disease or insect that preys on it. Even if you believe GMO crops are somehow harmful, the origin of the final-product simple sugars fructose and dextrose couldn't possibly matter. Those sugars are only snippets of starch chains, two and one molecules respectively, and they contain no DNA at all.

Isinglass, a substance refined from fish bladders, is used in an OLD and higher-quality method of clarifying beer wort. Isinglass doesn't remain in the beer - it's a heavy tasteless, odorless, glycerin-like substance that attaches to the protein molecules that make beer cloudy and drop them to the bottom of the vessel. Clear beer is then siphoned from the top, leaving the cloudiness behind. If Guinness is still using that 19th century method, good for them - it enhances quality and it's a lot more expensive and time consuming than ramming beer through a micron filter with a high pressure pump as is usually done these days.

I won't go on - but there's not a single claim in that article that's true. And any writer who'd cite GREENPEACE as an authority, well ......

Ozark beat me to it... That is exactly what I was going to say!!

On a related note, it looks like you shouldn't drink the beer in Mozambique, crocodile bile or not... Almost 70 die drinking beer in Mozambique

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5