JimDogAdministrator
(Freelance Gynecologist)
02/23/12 05:13 PM
Re: 14 pound turkey

Abso-freakin-unbelievable...

My main concern was the time. I like to pull the meat off and serve it hot, so I was trying to figure out what time to put it on and have it ready at 6. The answer turned out to be noon.

On the lower grate, I did a whole pork loin cut in half and brined for 24 hours then rubbed my my magic dust. On the top rack I did the turkey, also brined for 24 hours, mopped with melted butter and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper. I threw a stick of butter in the cavity for good measure. I couldn't bring myself to smoke it breast down. I didn't want it to stick to the grate and look less then something you would see on the cover of Bon Apetite.

I used the same brine on both - it is the recipe in Haus's link. Instead of dumping the brine after the soak, I used it in the water bowl in my smoker. I checked it about every hour. and added charcoal and wood as necessary to keep it in the ideal range on the thermometer. I also used a baster to suck some of the melted butter out of the cavity and squirted it on the bird a couple of times during the process. Oh - and I used green pecan.

I really should have taken a picture, but my guests were like vultures hovering around the kitchen as I pulled it off the grill. Both the pork loin and the turkey turned out perfect.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5