Ozark
(member)
01/25/14 02:27 PM
Re: Corned Beef

Here ya go, griffin. Here's the whole deal from start to finish, and paragraph #4 under "method" tells how to cook it:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

Me, I didn't mess with doing all those spices myself - Mrs. Wage's Pickling Spices comes in a green/yellow envelope at food stores for a couple of bucks. I got a little confused when I bought a new envelope yesterday because they've changed the label - it says "Create Your Own Bread and Butter Pickles" in big letters at the top now. Same stuff, and there's enough mixed spices in the envelope to make corned beef a bunch of times.

You'll notice that for mine, I cut all the brine ingredients in half. That's because with the size of the beef brisket I'm using and the container I've got it in, I only needed 2 quarts of brine, not a gallon. Adjust the amount of brine you make as needed to cover the meat - just keep all the proportions the same.

As stated, I didn't use "pink salt" in the brine. I don't know if there's any truth to the claims that the stuff is bad for your health - it's been used for centuries in curing meats to keep the color pink and bright. I think we eat it in ham, sausage, bacon, etc. all the time, but now some government scientist probably killed a mouse with a 55 gallon drum of the stuff, got awarded a big grant of tax money for doing so, and there ya go. Without "pink salt" the corned beef is brown, not pink, and that's fine with us since it tastes the same.

I'm telling ya, griff - beef brisket costs $3 a pound, store-bought corned beef costs $7, and the home-brined version is a lot BETTER. It's slap yo' mama good - and all it takes is to get it soaking a week ahead of time.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5