Lee1
()
09/29/09 06:03 AM
Homemade Deer cane.

I am here to tell you that homemade deer cane works better than the original
Now this technique works better than anything I have ever seen. I got this from MWT and tried it. And the result are phenomenal. I have attracted some huge bucks and lots of does. Deer I have never know existed on public land.

The Technique is using Arm and Hammer Washing soda and White salt/Mineral salt from the local feed store. It is better then Deer cane. What you do is get the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and a 50lb bag of mineral/white salt, the low grade stuff. You also can use ice cream salt if you dont have a feed store around. One box of Washing Soda per 50lb bag of salt.

Find a major trail that the deer use often. Select a place just off the trail but real close. Clear an area about 4ft by 4ft and you dig down about 4 inches clearing out all vegetation and save the dirt that you remove from the hole. You want the hole to hold just a little water. Now, you pour the mineral salt in the hole and then pour the A&H washing soda on top of it. You must mix it out in the field. Then cover it up with the dirt that you saved. Then pray for rain to activate it. And place a trail cam watching the hole.

I had deer hitting it within a few days after laying it out. The hole now is about six feet wide and a foot deep. They have ate around rocks that are now visible that were buried. Well I thought I would share this information and it really works.
Once I figure out how to put my trail cam pictures on here I will post them on here
Lee

Lee1
()
09/29/09 06:18 AM
Re: Homemade Deer cane.

Here is some of the deer that are coming to the deer cane that my friend made and laid out on his land.

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=545

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=550

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=551

sptsman
(member)
09/29/09 11:57 AM

Dude, nice buck but it the same deer in all three pics...

cook
(member)
09/29/09 04:08 PM

Quote:

Lee1 said:
I am here to tell you that homemade deer cane works better than the original
Now this technique works better than anything I have ever seen. I got this from MWT and tried it. And the result are phenomenal. I have attracted some huge bucks and lots of does. Deer I have never know existed on public land.

Find a major trail that the deer use often. Select a place just off the trail but real close.

Not trying to be an A-Hole...but..if its a major trail deer use often-why just not set up a stand??

swampy
(stirrer of chit)
09/29/09 05:53 PM

to get them to stop

Lee1
()
09/30/09 03:00 AM

No offense taken Cook.
These are deer that were not known to be in the area. There are so many trails and I only have one trail cam. I see the tracks and rubs, but on public land it is almost impossible to see bucks like that. I worked my butt off this year with tracking, scouting, and talking to MO Conservation Rangers all summer long. Trying learn where the buck are. But they are not out there because many hunters shoot anything that walks and they do not respect the land at all.I pick up trash constantly.
Last year I have sat out there all season on major trails and there were no big buck that ever came by. I let countless small bucks and does walk. But this year I credit the attractant for drawing the bucks in and exposing themselves. Trust me Cook there is a stand set up there and this past Sunday, I had 10 deer under me tearing up that hole. 8 does and 2 bucks, all came by within a hour of each other. Well just wanted to get the word out there on some of the new techniques being used and it is very cost effective and it works like a charm.
The 50lb bag of salt is $2.50 and the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda is $1.26 per box.

hucklburry
(member)
09/30/09 03:18 AM

I think the think about your pics that will keep you in the stand more than anything, except maybe the size of the rack, is that the sun is actually in the sky when the pics was taken. good sign!

Lee1
()
09/30/09 03:47 AM

The sun was starting to come up and the infrared light had not shut off yet.

But here are some more trail cam pictures and the hole is three times the size now than when I put out the mixture.
All I can say is WOW, this stuff attracts the deer. This is my first time using it. I am a believer.

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=561

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=556

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=557

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=558

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=559

http://www.archerysite.net/vb/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=560

last_stand
(the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar)
09/30/09 10:12 AM

Nice job Lee!

cook
(member)
09/30/09 10:51 AM

great pics

dabsAdministrator
()
10/05/09 11:29 AM

OK - not to play the role of dumbass - which I do well by the way - but...

"Arm and Hammer Washing soda"

Is that one of the little kitchen sized boxes of the original Arm and Hammer baking soda......Arm and Hammer dishwasing detergent......Arm and Hammer Laundry detergent....or something else?

Also - I have seen all of them in different sized containers, could you help me out on the container size as well.

TIA

dab

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/05/09 02:46 PM

Nope Dabs it is the detergent section. I know it is at Price Chopper. It is a yellow box about the size of a full size cereal box.

I use the stuff on the farm I hunt and it truly is amazing.

Lee1
()
10/05/09 08:20 PM

Hey Dabs,
it is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Not the Baking Soda you are thinking of. It is the a great way to attract deer and keep them in the area for a while. Ask as many question as you like. I really dont mind

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/05/09 11:43 PM

OK , what's your favorite color?

dabsAdministrator
()
10/06/09 01:29 AM

Lee..and others...

Thanks - I picked up a box today at the grocery store....think I got the right stuff - it was Arm and Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - which is the box IIFID described and said pure and natural on it.

I ended up at Feldmans and bought 50 pounds of a Mineral cow feed bag....."HomeofToto" Rock Salt #4 fine.

Skimmed it down about 3 or 4 inches and put the salt down and then the Super Washing Soda on top of it and had some disc up dirt right next to it from the food plot we put in three weeks ago and used that to cover lightly.....supposed to start raining about 3 a.m.

Also hung the trail cam - we will see. There are two trails coming out of the timber into the area of the food plot and we put the mineral area right where the two trails meet - about 12 feet from the timber in the weeds....perfect distance for trail cam photos.

Have about 1/3 of an acre in food plot - but not sure if it is going to make it....fairly thick clover but really small at this point and lots of a thin blade fescue coming up as well...but only about 2 inches tall right now. Supposed to frost Sunday night so I hope it doesn't kill it

I figure I will give the camera till Sunday afternoon which will almost be a week.

Oh - and just so you know......I will answer your question bubba. In my stand bag I am keeping keys....keys to your forkin account HATER!!!

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/06/09 01:43 AM

Now , that's knott very nice....

dabsAdministrator
()
10/07/09 01:42 AM

alright - you got any idea how long the stuff lasts?

I put it out last night just before dark - it rained last night and the landowner said when he got home he looked down at the edge of the food plot we put in and there were three does in the food plot...I asked where abouts and when he explained they were in the corner and "pawing" at something - I figure they found it within 23 hours as it was about 4:30 this afternoon when he got home.

Am going to stay away till Saturday or Sunday - but with the camera set on high resolution and only having a 256k sd card in....I aint sure how long it will take to fill it up - will take out a 1 gig card this weekend.

dab

Lee1
()
10/07/09 02:12 AM

Hey Dabs
The stuff will last all year long. Once it gets plenty of rain and soaks in the ground, it will be there for a long while. You can even add water from a creek or pond to speed up the process of soaking in the ground.
Mine has lasted all summer long and is still going strong. Be prepared that once they find it and frequent the site the hole will get bigger.

dabsAdministrator
()
10/07/09 02:33 AM

I think with two to three inches of rain forecast for tomorrow night into Thursday I should be alright

MOFish20
()
10/07/09 03:06 PM

interested in the pics, sounds promising!

How much does the powder/salt add up to? Thanks!

dabsAdministrator
()
10/07/09 03:10 PM

My costs was a bit higher -

Pure washing detergent was like $3.25 and then the #4 "HomeofToto" fine mineral rock salt was $4.50 for the 50 pound bag at Feldmans - so I still have under $8.00 bucks in it - which is cheap.

Sounds like it is attracting the deer but won't know for sure until Sunday sometime when I get the SD card. Hopefully the 4+" of rain coming doesn't wash it all out :sad:

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/07/09 05:39 PM

Knott correct , dabs.

It should read "my costs were a bit higher". A plural subject requires a plural verb. You should knott butcher the language..
Carry on with your twittering about washing detergent.

Burrhead
(member)
10/07/09 06:42 PM

Since one of the things laundry detergent does is make water "wetter" and salt will do the same thing, we could probably use this stuff in our duck hunting holes to make the water wetter and the salt content would lower the freezing point thus keeping the hole open.

Then again, it might knott work.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/07/09 07:30 PM

Are you speaking of a Corn Hole ? I hope knott.

stoneman
()
10/12/09 05:16 PM

Dabs you get the salt at the Liberty Feldmans ? I bought a white salt block there . but didn't see any (Bagged ? ) salt . They did have about the largest deer attractant selection I've ever seen , plus a printed warning about baiting in Missouri posted in the display . That's why I've used Deer Co-Cain instead of Come-Mere-Deer and others because the latter and most deer attractants have "natural" foods in them , and that would be illegal for baiting-- . Lee would just adding the washing soda on top of the salt block and covering with dirt work as well ?--

Thanks Stoneman

dabsAdministrator
()
10/12/09 05:37 PM

Nope - Blue Springs...it isn't around the deer attractant aisle....back in the livestock feed section.

last_stand
(the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar)
10/12/09 08:32 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Knott correct , dabs.

It should read "my costs were a bit higher". A plural subject requires a plural verb. You should knott butcher the language..

Actually Bubba, no need for a plural noun whatsoever..." my cost was a bit higher " will not only suffice...it is proper.
Shall we now discuss dangling participles? bwaaaaaaaaaaa

Burrhead
(member)
10/12/09 08:50 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Shall we now discuss dangling participles?

Hey, hey, now. This is a family type forum. Let's keep it clean...

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/12/09 10:13 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

Bubba said:
Knott correct , dabs.

Actually Bubba, no need for a plural noun whatsoever..." my cost was a bit higher " will not only suffice...it is proper.

You can come dangle this.....Trebeck!

swampy
(stirrer of chit)
10/12/09 10:16 PM

Quote:

stoneman said:
Lee would just adding the washing soda on top of the salt block and covering with dirt work as well ?--

Thanks Stoneman

It would work as well as substituting baking powder for baking soda in a biscut recipe. the simple answer it, yes it will work. It will not work as well nor even close to what it calls for but it will work better than a pile of cow manure.

swampy
(stirrer of chit)
10/12/09 10:17 PM

Well probably better than cow manure unless the cow has some GI issues and is on a corn diet then it probably would not work that well either.

dabsAdministrator
()
10/12/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

Bubba said:
Knott correct , dabs.

I wasn't going to debate English with a retired no-it-all

Sometimes it just isn't worth bickering about the small stuff....

KNOTT!!!!!!!!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/12/09 11:34 PM

In one year my spot went from the size and depth of a trashcan lid to the size and depth of a bathtub. They just can't get enough of it!

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/13/09 12:40 AM

Uh , dabs , you scholar...it is "know it all " not "no it all"!

I swear, what ever happened to the 3 Rs?

BTW , I get home this afternoon and the wife had a half gallon of deer cane and a cane block on the table. We have had lots of deer eating our back yard acorns for the past couple of weeks.Somebody at Walmarks told her that cane would keep them in the yard......
Riley ain't gonna like this...

dabsAdministrator
()
10/13/09 01:25 AM

pitchers....we need pitchers damnit

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/13/09 01:28 AM

According to Foots...Pitchers = evidence! Damnit!

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/13/09 01:55 AM

I be damned. I let the dog out and scared off 2 or 3 deer from the cane.Been out since about 1 this afternoon.One of them only ran about 10 yards and stood there staring at us.Those big ass yellow eyes staring at you out of dark woods is sort of spooky...

Now I need a trail cam..

dabsAdministrator
()
10/13/09 02:01 AM

My kids want to lease your backyard

Keep feedin em!

stoneman
()
10/13/09 02:14 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
In one year my spot went from the size and depth of a trashcan lid to the size and depth of a bathtub. They just can't get enough of it!

Dabs I was in the livestock section , but went to buy straw for dog house and a salt block also the Homemade Deer Co-Cane post hadn't been posted yet and wasn't looking for bagged salt .

IIFID -- Same as with salt block /Deer Co-Cane (but did get it cheap at Roger's last year $5.00 a gallon on sale)

Swampy I just threw a 50lb salt block in wallow and wanted to know if could just add washing soda and fill in ?
Helpfull Hint : Never throw a 50lb block of salt into muddy/water shallow hole when standing close !--

moduckdoc
(member)
10/13/09 07:39 PM

Quote:

stoneman said:
Quote:

IIFID said:
Helpfull Hint : Never throw a 50lb block of salt into muddy/water shallow hole when standing close !--

How else you gonna throw a 50lb anything unles you is close?

stoneman
()
10/14/09 07:36 PM

Let someone else do it ? Push it into hole using a large branch to push it in ? Tie a rope around it using a slipknot and pull it into the wallow ? Just don't (throw it ) --- --- Or a Sunami wave of deer slobber ,piss , Deer Co-Cane and salt might engulf you -- ---just saying --

turkyman
()
10/21/09 09:59 PM

I found some mineral salt but can't seem to locate the Washing Soda in the "HomeofToto" City area. Any suggestions?

MOFish20
()
10/22/09 01:20 AM

i looked at WalMart and they didnt carry it. I located it at our local Shop & Save grocery store. It was like $2.50

Try a couple diff grocery stores, was a bit down the line from the regular laundry supplies.

About the size of a small box o' cereal

dabsAdministrator
()
10/22/09 12:30 PM

That is the stuff I used.

I am not all that impressed as of yet...plenty of rain on it since I put it out.

Not sure if it is a case of lack of use or lack of deer. The trail isn't looking as heavily used as it was last year at this point.

They did get about 300 acres of corn out of the area last week so the deer movement should be more through there since their secluded living room has been demolished.

Will check the game cam this weekend and report.

To date, there has been pics of about five different episodes of does working it - in about three weeks time.

dab

turkyman
()
10/22/09 03:23 PM

Found it at Price Chopper in Blue Springs, Thanks.

DjF
(little buddie)
10/22/09 03:48 PM

Usage with mineral licks is about done for the year...

moduckdoc
(member)
10/22/09 05:05 PM

That is why I am buying my minerals at the elevator, they are just really turning on to it. They really like it and it isn't too expensive by the bushel. The colder it gets the more like the minerals I am putting out.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5