IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/24/10 03:26 AM
Hey Griffin!

"Yes, Gabbert was a force vs. the vaunted Illini defense.

We won't win 3 conference games....even with one of the "best QB's in Division 1"."

"Who are we gonna beat Timmy?

griffin"

"Colorado (Have fun getting pounded in the Pac 10)
Texas Tech (New coach - never know)
K-state (Its in our house and they DON'T have a QB)
ISU (Tough place for MU in the past but still think we win)
KU (North Dakota State - really? )

Maybe even OU (At our place and did you see them this weekend? 31-24 over Utah State??)

I'd like to say NU but its at their place (Love to kick them in the ass and send them to the Big 10)"

The Tigers have won 3 conference games. That is all!

DADAKOTA
(member)
10/24/10 08:52 AM
Re: Hey Griffin!

and Griffin still hasn't swam the river.

last_stand
(the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar)
10/24/10 11:27 AM

I don't care how well the defense or any individual played...game ball goes to the O line. That was a "how to" clinic they put on.

We are in bazaar-o-world. Is this team mature enough to handle the pressure? Can Pinkel keep them grounded and focused game to game? Tall order.

Congrats to Gabbert and hats off to the Tigers.....now get ready for next week.

sptsman
(member)
10/24/10 01:22 PM

Great win for the boys in black and gold. Even with that lousy footwork, Gabbert managed to do enough to help secure the win. Oddly enough, the most disappointing part of the game was watching OU march down the field multiple times, with little resistance. I expected the Mizzou "D" to be a little more solid. Thank goodness OU was stepping on their own pekker all night with turnovers and the missed FG.

Can they sustain or is this the same old, same old?

Whackattack
(member)
10/24/10 03:56 PM

I said before that the lines would be the difference and MU's O-line manhandled OU.

One complaint I have about the Tigers.....How in the fork do you have the ball 1st and goal from the one and lose yardage and settle for a field goal?

Put the freaking QB under center, and smash it with your hardest runner 4 freaking times.....Not hand it to your RB 6 yards deep and have him try to pick a hole....GEESH!

Great game. Ain't had my blood racing like that in a while.....

triton
(member)
10/25/10 02:34 PM

One time I thought I was seeing things when Gabbert actually got up under center with an I formation, I believe, and I thought I have never seen that out of MU.....Turns out all they did was qb sneak it for a first down....Whack, I have seen this for the better of 5 or 6 years...I dont think they are going to change.

last_stand
10/25/10 05:03 PM

Weren't we under center for the Franklin TD?

That's what I thought I saw...nearly choked on my whiskey....

triton
(member)
10/25/10 09:40 PM

LS could have been as I missed a large part of the game....

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/25/10 10:01 PM

Now lets not get too excited boys.. I mean it's not like the its the SEC or anything!

Sorry I had to say it for old times sake!

So who thinks the Black and Gold can go take one from the Huskers. I have a feeling it is going to be a war!!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/26/10 12:39 AM

Timmy....I'll be at the game in Lincoln....I give you a report.

I've been burned too many times to say it.....but this team looks pretty good. One thing is for certain....after 7 games Missouri still controls it's own destiny. Maybe this is the team that figures out what to do with it.

Sptsman......Gabbert ain't all that.....sorry. He was grossly overrated in High School and he still is by some.

griffin

Whackattack
(member)
10/26/10 11:55 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

Gabbert ain't all that.....sorry. He was grossly overrated in High School and he still is by some.

griffin

He really doesn't have to be if they can get line play like that and run the ball the way they did Sat. I think I could throw it around with protection like he saw on Saturday....

LS, I didn't see the Franklin play. I did see the sneak for a first down by Gabbert. I'm talking about 1st and goal from the one and handing the ball off 6 yards deep and trying from there. Hell, sneak it 3 times from the one if you want, the line was that good Saturday that they would have gotten at least a foot each time. 3 runs, a foot a piece, Touchdown.....

last_stand
10/26/10 07:03 PM

Franklin scored a few yards out...now I thought Gabbert was under center but maybe Franklin took a direct hike in the backfield and scored?

Would like to hear from someone who saw what happened...but coulda swore we were under center.

griffin like it or not but as of now and with his continued improvement Gabbert will more than likely go in round 1-3 of the 2012 draft. Once he understand the pocket is his friend the nfl will take him low.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/27/10 02:13 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
griffin like it or not but as of now and with his continued improvement Gabbert will more than likely go in round 1-3 of the 2012 draft. Once he understand the pocket is his friend the nfl will take him low.

BULLCHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, if the draft was today he'd likely go UNDRAFTED. He may move up next year, but he is NOWHERE near a 1-3 pick, now or ever.

griffin

last_stand
10/27/10 02:46 AM

I guess you don't like it.

Just for the record...I said first thru third ROUND based on continued development.

I'll stand by it and you can bank it.

bwaaaaaa

swampy
(stirrer of chit)
10/27/10 11:25 AM

I agree with you LS the NFL will draft the kid. He has the size and strength they like. What he has that really makes him look good is coachability and a laser-beam throw.

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
10/27/10 01:27 PM

Well Griffin, yer heading to Lincoln Saturday while I head south and open the north zone with ny bros and buds.

I reckon during the game I best be wathcin' it at Mom's house versus at a local watering hole. I gots a funny feeling rooting fer the Huskers might not be in my best personal interests!!!

It was good to see Mizzou win out over OU last week, a great game. I honestly do have some mixed feelings about rooting for Big Red...but I will anyway.

last_stand
10/27/10 04:08 PM

Based on typical progress and no serious injury he should easily go by the 96th pick.

CBS 2012 mock draft has him going no worse than 49th pick and 3rd QB chosen right now.

Mock drafts are mock drafts, particularly 18 months out...but I'll hang my hat on it anyway.

wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
10/27/10 07:07 PM

QUESTION: Do you think Blaine Gabbert displays the skills to be a good quarterback at the NFL level?

BERNIE MIKLASZ

I have actually talked to two NFL scouts about this. They love his physical measurables. Great size and speed. His arm strength is above average. He has first-round talent. But the scouts tell me he will need work. Footwork isn’t the best. He doesn’t set consistently enough before making his throws. He’s been jumpy in the pocket and it causes him to make off-balance throws and back-foot throws when he doesn’t really have to. Like all other spread-formation quarterbacks Gabbert will have to be reprogrammed to take snaps from under center. He’ll have to learn how to take 3-step, 5-step and 7-step drops as he sets up to throw. It’s just a matter of technical and mechanical refinement. All of the skills are there. The fundamentals need polish. It may take some extra time to get him ready to be a starter. But the package is there.

last_stand
10/27/10 08:31 PM

Gabbert came onto the Tigers with too much hype. Pinkel and the helicopter, Gabbert and the Husker reverse drama.....I completely agree he did not match this up with his actual performance. Some bought in and said he did...right Sportsmn? Some saw the flaws and some have never trusted him since.

But he had a lot to learn and adjust to which all in all he has done pretty well with this year. He will still leave the pocket thinking it's his best alternative but more than not he leaves too soon and he loses a lot of accuracy passing on the run. He still doesn't set up very well even when he has time but again he is doing better with it. He over throws a bit but a rocket arm it is. He plays the spread but that's not his choice or fault.

He's got it going for him...big guy,willing to play hurt, durable, assume he is smart enough, team leader, decent mobility and a very strong arm. The NFL loves all of that and it is enough for them to take him and try to change the negatives.

He is gonna go in the '12 draft and it will be before the fourth round but I have not yet seen enough for me to say he will be a "good" NFL quarterback...in fact RIGHT NOW I would have to say the odds are against it. Far bigger names and better college qb's have fallen by the wayside trying to play in the NFL.

I wish him the best ...I am glad we have him and would like nothing more than to see him strengthen and establish his nfl credentials right here in MoMo next year!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/28/10 02:51 AM

No, really WU, (and Bernie) he's got great footwork and is an amazing QB.

Even a QB that can barely be described as "good" will elevate his team. Gabbert cannot do that. He has one hell of an offensive line, but he's not barely good....he's barely marginal....as a team leader he's barely functional.

He's HORRIBLE under pressure.....he's seen little of that this season...and you should count your blessings. Mr. "feet of clay" CANNOT take us to the national championship game, which is all I care about anymore. We've done the rest, and anything short is just another decent Missouri squad like Daniels, Maclin, and co.

I think this is a really good Missouri team.....I think they'd be damn near unstoppable with Franklin as QB.

I watched Gabbert in High School.....he's the same guy...big, strong, and really not that good. You are saying the same thing now, LS, that colleges were saying when he was in High School....and guess what....you're right....the odds are against him being a "good" QB.

griffin

wuchangAdministrator
10/28/10 11:58 AM

Quote:

No, really WU, (and Bernie) he's got great footwork and is an amazing QB.

You've been in the evidence locker 'sampling' again, haven't you??

Looks to me that Bernie & the scouts (no, that is not a new singing group) are saying everything you said about Gabbert's lack of footwork and polish and poise

Next thing I know someone will tell me to cheer for the Big 12 just because MU is in it-- like the Arkies cheer for the SEC

MU and the national championship??
Ain't gonna happen-- they will lose to Nebraska

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/28/10 01:41 PM

Naw, I ain't been sampling.....just can't show sarcasm on this keyboard.

Look, the only way you can come to any other conclusion about him is if you haven't watched him. I saw him in High School maybe 8 or 9 times. I saw his first set of downs in college and have seen most of them since. He's just not nearly as good as some people who buy into the hype think he is.

One word has been used to describe Gabbert since I've been watching him........PROJECT.

He still is with nearly 20 college games under his belt.

griffin

Bandito
(member)
10/28/10 05:59 PM

Through 7 games Blaine Gabbert has passed for 1,899 yards and 11 touchdowns, completing 67.3 percent and being intercepted only three times in 269 attempts... and so far he's undefeated. Footwork aside, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

... just sayin.

last_stand
10/28/10 07:12 PM

griffin maybe not but you seem to marginalize his stats because he has a good O line. Good AND great quarterbacks are seldom out there on their own showing off their skill without moocho team support. When Adam Timmerman came to the Rams he was the final piece of a very good O line and Kurt Warner needed that to be what he was...just as he needed the additions of Faulk, Bruce & company to get all his stats and awards. And there is nothing wrong with that but you have to recognize it. You CAN NOT take credit due away from a good player because he has other good players around him. Gabbert's a good quarterback behind a good line. That's how it works more often than not.

He is not a marginal qb...he is a good college qb with stats to back it up. NFL scouts are not blind to the things to work on. They see skill and size in place as a junior and judge the potential. I am sure their concerns are the same as yours and mine and then some but to be even scouted at this point means they have slotted him as a GOOD QB.

As I said at the beginning, I think he makes the jump on draft day rounds 1-3. But he needs to advance accordingly next year.

sptsman
(member)
10/28/10 08:14 PM

Pay no mind to griffin when it comes to Gabbert. He got a hard-on for the kid a few years back and wouldn't admit he was good, if he won the Heisman and a national championship.

Show me ANY college QB that doesn't need work to be a good NFL QB. Show me ANY college QB that doesn't have flaws in their game. Remember all of the criticism of Bradford and how he needed to work on this and that? How he needed to develop, blah, blah, blah... The bottom line is you just don't know about these kids until you get them in a NFL uniform and see how they perform. Until then, it's a matter of picking the right one with the measurables (Leaf or Manning?)and this kid has the measurables.

I was not a Gabbert fan in HS and was very skeptical. But he has matured and become a better player and person, from everything I have seen. Is he the next John Elway or Dan Marino? Probably not. Will he be a 3rd round pick or better? Bank on it. Whether or not he becomes a good NFL QB is anyone's guess. I think he will be...

As far as Mizzou this weekend... Root like hell for them, just don't put any money on the game...

Bandito
(member)
10/28/10 08:34 PM

Mizzou this week, 28-20 over the Huskers... take it to the bank.

sptsman
(member)
10/29/10 01:44 AM

Quote:

Bandito said:
Mizzou this week, 28-20 over the Huskers... take it to the bank.

They're giving Mizzou 7 1/2 points... If you're inclined to wager, take the 7 1/2 points and run... That is, if you're sure they're going to win 28-20.

Bandito
(member)
10/29/10 01:56 AM

I've already got the house on it.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/29/10 02:23 PM

I heard a stat on sports talk radio (and it was from a MU guy who covers MU)that surprised me. His stat was that Gabberts completion % when he was facing a standard rush was 71%. His completion % when he was blitzed you ask??? 41%!!! WOW! Think that the Pellini brothers might be selling out and sending the whole farm every other down?? It should prove to be intersting. NU, I believe he said, had a total of 17 sacks.. but 11 of them were in one game?? And opponents were averaging 4.6 yards per rush?

H2ODOG
(the one who never tires)
10/29/10 03:16 PM

Bring the blitz.........when that happens, the bubble screen which failed miserably against OU will be there as well as a pass over the middle that is now unoccupied. Its not rocket science, but Yost will try to turn it into that.

Our backs will have a great game. NU sucks when an above average back plays them. Once we run allover them, Gabbert then throws all over them.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/29/10 03:26 PM

Missouri can beat Nebraska......but maybe not at Nebraska with so much on the line. I spent 3 weeks up there this summer and I can tell you that Husker nation had HUGE expectations for this team, and still do. This game really is the season for both teams because no matter how much football is left, THIS game has to be a win for either team to be seriously considered on the national level.

I promise you that Missouri is headed for a collision with a very wound up Nebraska team.

I'm gonna be a black gnat in a sea of red.....Fork the Cornhuskers!!!

griffin

H2ODOG
10/29/10 03:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnIkyFmr3MY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GuGqPKP3xw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSQgsknC6g&feature=related

hucklburry
(member)
10/29/10 04:03 PM

26.5 hours, I'll be watching on ABC! Think it will come down to Henery kicking the ball. Its what he does.

H2ODOG
10/29/10 04:08 PM

Henery might get a chance to kick field goals, but I dont' think he will be kickin many XP's Its what our defense does.

just saying

last_stand
10/29/10 04:51 PM

I believe if you weigh in on OVERALL strength Missouri is the better team.

The boys need to dish out the medicine early and get on top and minimize the fans in Lincoln. This would really help us...if not.....gonna be a hard fought and close victory.

BTW, 64 former Heisman winners were polled on a number of topics recently....they put Gabbert ranked 7th at QB this year.....I don't know how many of the 1-6 were Seniors.

NateD
()
10/29/10 04:57 PM

Here's my Youtube link. MU will win because the Nubs are homos... See for yourself...

T-Bagic

Naz's Dad
(member)
10/29/10 04:58 PM

You ask the Nebraska fans and they will tell you that the Huskers aren't playing well at home. They aren't that confident in this weeks outcome. Missouri however will have to overcome the so-called big game hangover. If they do that they win!!!

H2ODOG
10/30/10 07:35 PM

Bailey just called from the game. He wants to know how y'all like Gabbert under pressure. Bandito.........u can't move into my house since you bet yours

hucklburry
(member)
10/30/10 08:15 PM

I love how Mizzou is playin', but the game aint over. Looking forward to another good half of football.

I never met Bailey, but I'd be guessin' the score don't matter all that much about now, he's had 2 quarters worth of drinkin' in.

Go Cornhuskers!

last_stand
10/30/10 10:07 PM

You just can not come out any flatter than that.
Got more to say but I am gonna wait and hope the Blues provide a pick me up. lord knows I need it.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/31/10 11:06 PM

Yeah, flat on his arse. Can we now stop having the Gabbert conversation? He's HORRIBLE under pressure....and yeah, he still lacks basic fundamentals with regard to his feet and throwing the football. Not to mention the fact that he's a puzzzzzzy. 6' 5" and 240 lbs. and he can't punch the ball in from 6 inches away....because he doesn't want to.

I will give him some credit.....he runs scared well.

griffin

last_stand
10/31/10 11:32 PM

You know I won't sit around and cut the guy down like that griffin. He ain't a pooozy so you can drop that one.

I happen to agree with you on his number 1 and 2 flaws and yes in the first half in particular he left the pocket damn near next to immediately...he sees the D coming so I know he CANNOT be watching his primary guy nevertheless secondary outlets. He leaves TOO SOON and imo does not know the value of one second of time to be the difference between a busted play and a completion. He doesn't leave because he is afraid he leaves because he underestimates the benefit of staying and he thinks he can get the job done on the run. Very bad habit.

The team was waaaay flat and basically have to say not prepared for what they faced. They were tight as a drum skin. The Nub D was doing a good job...coverage was there and so was the pressure...and it appeared to me we did not answer that situation with anything adequate from the sidelines.

In the third Gabbert was making some excellent pin point passes but what we did generate was soon wiped out by the Nub offense. It was also too late after spotting the lead.

Gabbert did not do himself any favors on a scouting level with that game. But he does have a FULL YEAR before decisions are made. IMO He should change this aspect of his game if he wants a pro team to give him serious consideration for a low round pick.

As for the QB sneak you cannot put that one on Gabbert....apparently Pinkel is the poozy.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/31/10 11:37 PM

Dude, sorry.... he has NEVER wanted to get hit. He's even worse now then he was in High School....and he was a joke then. I'm more right on the first comment then I am on the other two.

Without a doubt the most overrated player in the country.

griffin

H2ODOG
11/01/10 12:20 AM

Without a doubt the the reason he busted out of the pocket so fast is because he doesn't want to take a hit. I never watched the kid play hs football, bit it's pretty damn clear to me after 2 years of watchin him he doesn't want to stand in there and throw the ball and then take a shot.

The players are faster, bigger, & stronger in college and it's goes to another insane higher level in the pros. The kid had a laser beam for an arm and a quick release......one of the fastest in college. ESPN had a deal on it b4 the OU game. His quick release and strong arm compare to Tony Romo.......but just like Homo he cracks under pressure

Gabbert is an average college QB, and if he goes pro he would make a good backup to Chase Daniel........again. He still makes 500k a year to signal in plays, but he won't see snaps outside of preseason

last_stand
11/01/10 02:13 AM

My contention has been and still is that IF he moves along and progresses/improves he will go by the 96th pick in the '12 draft.
I am not saying he is an All American nor am I saying he is a future pro bowler nor that he will even stay in the NFL. I am saying he will be drafted by the nfl as long as he progresses in his senior year because THAT IS WHAT PROFESSIONAL SCOUTS AND ANALYSTS are saying.
He is over hyped but you guys have knee jerked down to "average". He is inbetween with upside potential.
And Dog...not sure what you are saying but IF he is drafted thru the first three rounds he ain't gonna get cut after preseason by ANY team who takes him there. Not gonna happen. He makes the roster.

H2ODOG
11/01/10 04:53 AM

I never said if he gets drafted that he wiill get cut his first year.......what I was trying to say is that the kid is a signal called in the NFL and nothing more. Backups play preseason. Gabbert has the arm for the NFL, but lacks the the toughness and mental game as well. Chase is a backup and Gabbert would be a good fit to back him up

A qb who doesn't panic comes back to beat the cornhuskers on Sat. Our D held them to 183 yards of offense the last three quarters, and 55 if them came on one play. Gabbert was in panic mode soon after the place kicker kicked it out of the endZone.

7-1 is far better than I would have ever expected to start the season and with a weak schedule we could go 11-1. And if we face a team with a good D in a bowl game, we get embarrassed on National TV again

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
11/01/10 12:36 PM

LS - somewhere you said that Gabbert was the 7th rated QB in the country. He's not in my book, but even if he is....that doesn't compute to being drafted in the first 3 rounds. Every 13th pick would have to be a QB to get to chickenchit.

How in the hell are you going to use one of your top 3 picks to draft THAT guy??

griffin

Paul Dallas
(member)
11/01/10 12:51 PM

I don't pay much attention to college football, but I tuned in to this game to see what all the hype was about. That guy was SPOOKED. There wouldn't be anyone around and he would have all kinds of time, and he acted like he was about to hit from behind. And when he was in shotgun --- was I just imagining things or did it seem like he was far enough back to be punting?

wuchangAdministrator
11/01/10 01:05 PM

You know the more I hear Griffin talk about this, the more I keep thinking "Jimmy Clausen"

ESPN 10/18/2010

After just three NFL starts and being pulled in week 5, Clausen was benched after completing 47 percent of his passes with one touchdown and three interceptions. Clausen also fumbled seven times, losing two, and had a 52.2 passer rating. [44]

last_stand
11/01/10 03:06 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
LS - somewhere you said that Gabbert was the 7th rated QB in the country. He's not in my book, but even if he is....that doesn't compute to being drafted in the first 3 rounds. Every 13th pick would have to be a QB to get to chickenchit.

griffin

It was a poll of 64 former Heismann winners...but wtf do they know.....they were probably poozy's at some point in their career too. bwaaaaaaaa

I said he was 7th THIS year in that poll...then I said I don't know how many in front of him are seniors.

If it's 6 seniors in front of him then theoretically he would be #1 next year. bwaaaaaaaaa.

All's I'm telling you knuckleheads is what professional people are sayin about the guy IF HE PROGRESSES. This is not difficult to grasp. I already said, right now I would not put money on him being a good nfl qb but at least I'll let his senior year play out before I would write him off.

Oh yeah, here's one more for you experts to chew on in the blind this year.....and I'll save you some time...look in ROUND 1...bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock/2012

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
11/01/10 03:26 PM

After Nebraska exposed this guy for what he is....a guy with a strong arm who can't stand in the pocket, can't check down, and can't play against man to man coverage, it's really pointless to even have a conversation about it.

My guess is that 40 of the 64 former Heismann winners hadn't even seen the guy play, they just hear the hype. It's the same with most sportscasters on the National level....all of them repeat the same bullcrap and then try to convince the audience that what they are seeing is an abberation.

Here's the bottom line, Gabbert isn't even close to living up to the hype...but he is exactly who he has always been.

griffin

last_stand
11/01/10 05:44 PM

I am ready to wind this down myself. I'll say this and I know it is totally counter to your opinion but he could erase last weeks game from every ones mind next year. I give him 50/50 on really addressing his issues. He has the time, we will see.

Now regarding this Heisman thing, I saw a blurb in the Post about this last week and did not follow up to read the article...I went back when I had time and it was gone...anyway...I just found what I guessd I saw earlier...hell it is not even exclusive for qb's but apparently includes rb's too.

The link is below...he had jumped from 17 to 7 with the Oklahoma win (national game)....let's see how bad he falls in the next few days from the Nub loss.

http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com/

H2ODOG
11/01/10 06:12 PM

Since 1992 Heisman Trophy winners have struggled mightily in the NFL. Some have never played a down in the NFL. No Heisman Trophy winner since 1992 has won a Super Bowl, or been named conference, or NFL player of the year. Also, only four players have played in a Pro Bowl. Just two players have been named rookie of the year and taken All-Pro honors.

Eight of the seventy four Heisman Trophy winners are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and four winners have also been named Most Valuable Player in a Super Bowl.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/112364-where-have-all-the-heisman-trophy-winners-gone-in-the-nfl

Whackattack
(member)
11/01/10 06:26 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Since 1992 Heisman Trophy winners have struggled mightily in the NFL. Some have never played a down in the NFL. No Heisman Trophy winner since 1992 has won a Super Bowl, or been named conference, or NFL player of the year. Also, only four players have played in a Pro Bowl. Just two players have been named rookie of the year and taken All-Pro honors.

Eight of the seventy four Heisman Trophy winners are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and four winners have also been named Most Valuable Player in a Super Bowl.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/112364-where-have-all-the-heisman-trophy-winners-gone-in-the-nfl

Let's hope slinging Sammy Bradford can buck the trend.....

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5