sptsman
(member)
08/20/12 07:19 PM
Cardinals 2012

OK, I went to the 19 inning marathon yesterday and only lasted 15 or 16 innings. They quit serving beer in the 7th and all concessions are shut down by the 8th or 9th. Add to that the fact the game had taken on all the excitement of a chess match... Enough was enough!!

Keeping in mind the run of 2011 and the fact that you never say never, this team is maddening to watch. Other than a few hiccups here and there, the pitching has been pretty darn good overall. The starting pitching has particularly good, considering we lost Carp early. What is killing us is the middle of the order all going cold at once and all getting hot at once. We beat teams 15-2 and 11-3 then can't muster more than a few runs in the critical games against the Pirates...

I had seats pretty close to the Cards dugout and I can tell you this much. Beltran is hurting. He looks to me like he's a matter of days away from the DL. His right leg is not good. He lips on and off the field. Also, Descalso is not a MLB ball player. Not sure what Matheney sees in this guy but he needs to go and give up the roster spot to a real player. As expected Matheny is making some rookie manager moves. Taking out Craig (probably the best hitting player right now) to have Descalso pinch run was a bone-headed move. It isn't like Craig is a sloth. What made it even more painful is they never sent Descalso to steal???? WTF? Why take your best hitter out of the game, for a pinch runner, if you're not going to have him run? But let's be real, that game wasn't lost due to Matheny. That was a simple case of the 3,4 & 5 hitters choking for a about 12 straight innings against an over-worked, taxed Pirates bullpen... Other than Jay's play in the outfield and Yadi's play behind the plate, that was about as unispired as I've seen guys play ball.

All-in-all, I give them a 50/50 shot at one of the wild card spots and then you see what happens. Even if they don't make it, they have a pretty good foundation for next year and Matheny will be that much better, hopefully, learning from his mistakes...

RafeHollister
(member)
08/20/12 08:28 PM
Re: Cardinals 2012

Pitchers Hit Eighth blog post from today. Pretty much asking the same things as you.

BTW, the author of this article is a good friend of mine and was a roommate at UMR. The blog is a good read and Dennis has some great analysis.

sptsman
(member)
08/21/12 12:51 AM

Good read and he backs it up with waaaaay more stats than I am ever going to look up (come to think of it, I'm rarely going to look up any stats). One huge factor he left out was that Jay was on base three more times after he took Craig out for Descalso. All three times, he was followed by the worst hitting position player on the team. And the salt in the wound was that the guy he was hitting for is the hottest right now.

We're all geniuses after the fact and I would like to think Matheny learned from this. The only thing that concerns me is that he has been regularly playing Descalso, batting around .220 over Skip Schumaker, batting over .300. Descalso has a better glove but hardly enough to justify his weak bat. And to make matters worse, he's batting .100 or less with RISP. In short, he's brutal. Reminds me of when LaRussa kept running Chris Duncam out there when he couldn't hit water, if he fell out of a boat (turned out he was injured but it was the same results).

Again, the real cuplrits in that game were Hoilday, Beltran and Freese. IF you didn't know better, you'd look for a Black Sox-like scandal. All three can't hit mediocre pitching for 12 innings?

Let's hope they have an epiphany here on their day off and come back on a tear...

last_stand
(the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar)
08/23/12 11:43 PM

Matheney has made numerous mistakes in all areas of management throughout the season as we should of expected. So did Tony by the way but there's no doubt MM's learning curve has been a factor on the team record.

The teams been consistent all year...it can't win more than 4 in a row. And you are right, it's at the feet of the offense. If you look at our stats we are league leaders in a bunch of categories but we just can't play consistent baseball.

Frustrating to watch a good team fail. No I don't count them out we are now holding the seat for the second wild card team.

Lots of ball to play yet.

sptsman
(member)
08/24/12 11:49 AM

These three series will tell a story. Two against divisional foes (one being our wild card challenger) and the other against the team with best record in baseball. If they can come out of these 9 games anything over .500 you have to call it a successful road trip.

What should worry Cards fans more than anything is injuries and some of these guys breaking down. It's late in the season and they're all hurting. It won't take much to put Furcal, Beltran, Molina, Freese etc. on the DL. Hopefully Matheny can get Molina some days off and keep him going.

Go Cards!!

last_stand
10/02/12 10:08 AM

Nice win last night.

Magic # down to 1 for the WC playoff game in Atlanta.

Cards have done a good job the last few weeks shaking off a lot of bad habits and playing winning baseball. Some one has been on their heels the whole time and it's the Dodgers who at the end here won't go away.

2 games left against the Reds/Dusty and man would they like nothing better than to stick it to us.

sptsman
(member)
10/02/12 03:05 PM

The Cards defense has improved dramatically the last several weeks. Pitching is good. Hitting is still spotty but good enough. We need Holiday to get back on track and it looks like Beltran is coming around. I heard his post season stats yesterday and they are very good. Of course he was much younger then...

I can't see them losing the next two to the Reds and I can't see the Dogers sweeping the Giants. The Giants would love nothing more than to spoil the Dodgers chances. Then again, I couldn't see the Cardinals even making the playoffs last year...

If the Cards make it into the playoffs, I wonder if Albert will come an watch the games?

last_stand
10/03/12 01:29 PM

Off to Atlanta for Selig's one game folly.

You can flip a coin on this one. Maybe edge to the team that bats last.

sptsman
(member)
10/03/12 07:28 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Off to Atlanta for Selig's one game folly.

You can flip a coin on this one. Maybe edge to the team that bats last.

Play 162 games and beat a team by 7 or 8 games in the standings and you could lose to them in one game... Dumb.

On the other hand, look how many more people paid attention and went to games becasue of this stupidity.

sptsman
(member)
10/05/12 02:59 PM

So, what do we get today? The Cardinals that can put up a dozen runs or the guys that make Bud Norris look like Cy Young? I have to think they'll get to this young pitcher. Even as good as he is, he's still never pitched a playoff game. Certainly not one that has the do-or-die consequences this one has... Hopefully, he'll feel that pressure and squeeze that ball, just a little harder or try to throw the perfect pitches and get in trouble.

I feel pretty good about Lohse. His post season track record is not good but hopefully he's learned and matured from his post season experince. I'm sure both pitchers will have a very short leash!!

Go Cards!!!

last_stand
10/05/12 03:51 PM

Forget the coin toss comment. I don't like this set up.

On the road, facing a razor sharp pitcher with a brilliant CURRENT performance level, strong offensive and defensive opponent and a closer who pretty much makes this an 8 inning affair.

Wait a minute, like the time George Costanza did everything the opposite of usual, this might be perfect.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/05/12 05:25 PM

Go BRAVES!!!

last_stand
10/05/12 06:50 PM

Fork you bubba.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/05/12 08:26 PM

Words hurt . LS.

dabsAdministrator
()
10/05/12 11:40 PM

Infield fly rule Replacement refs in the MLB now

HAUS
(member for now)
10/06/12 12:45 AM

that display of class in Georgia this evening was damn near as shameful as the HR derby in KC this year..

last_stand
10/06/12 02:53 AM

Now I know why they have those fences on all the nascar tracks....bwaaaaaaaaa.

Not exactly a Fall Classic but we are playing at home on Sunday!

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa na na na na naaaaaaa.................bwaaaaaa

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/06/12 03:36 PM

I bet you have a Fat Head of Chris Berman over your bed....

last_stand
10/09/12 02:38 AM

Off to Washington with a 1-1 split. Man I am still not over how we took the game one loss. I can only pray Matheney learned a lesson there.

Cards bats came alive today only problem is we have seen this before and all too often they go cold just as fast as they heat up. Somebody's gotta win 2 of next 3 and it's prolly gonna take some firepower to do it.

But hey, at least I don't have to listen to that forking tomahawk chop song anymore. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/09/12 02:42 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Man I am still not over how we took the game one loss. I can only pray Matheney learned a lesson there.

Dude, I have not slept in two days....all I do is pray!!!

griffin

dabsAdministrator
()
10/09/12 12:10 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

You can pray for another two days straight - Albert is not going to come back

sptsman
(member)
10/09/12 01:10 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

Albert who? Oh, you mean that guy that used to play for the Cardinals but is sitting on his pile of cash in LA, watching the playoffs from his mansion? That Albert? I think I remember him...

LS - you ca blame that one on Matheny and he deserves some criticism. But that game was lost, just as much, in the 7th. When you have bases loaded and no outs, you have to score. To make it even more frustrating, that was the meat of the order. It wasn't like it was the 8 & 9 hitters that needed to come through.

The trip to DC comes down to a simple question: Will this offense continue to hit or will they go dark, like they did so many times this Summer? I have little doubt the pitching can and will keep them in games. If they continue to hit, we take 2 of 3 (then listen to the howling, from the Nats fans, about Strasburg).

last_stand
10/09/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

LS - you ca blame that one on Matheny and he deserves some criticism. But that game was lost, just as much, in the 7th. When you have bases loaded and no outs, you have to score. To make it even more frustrating, that was the meat of the order. It wasn't like it was the 8 & 9 hitters that needed to come through.

As bad as the 7th went for us, we came out of the 7th WITH THE LEAD. OURS TO LOSE.

Up 2-1 in the top of eighth, 2 out, your set up man just having come around....so what do you do?

You DO NOT bring in a lefty who has been suspect in the past month. You stay with your set up man. You win or lose with your set up man or hell bring in your closer. No one thought otherwise, other than Mike Matheney. And believe me, I was screaming at the tv when he pulled that bone headed move.

I like Matheney, but he tinkered that huge game straight down the toilet.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/09/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

God is pretty busy right now with MIZZOU...very little time to deal with Last Stand's prayers......besides , everyone knows God is a Braves fan! :tomahawkchopgraemlin:

last_stand
10/09/12 07:57 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Quote:

dabs said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

God is pretty busy right now with MIZZOU...very little time to deal with Last Stand's prayers......besides , everyone knows God is a Braves fan! :tomahawkchopgraemlin:

Hey Bubba...........
http://themadjewess.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ababy.jpg

last_stand
10/10/12 09:59 PM

HUGE win today!

Loved seeing Rosenthal come into the game. Mujica isn't on his game right now so good to rest him.

HAUS
(member for now)
10/10/12 10:09 PM

rosenthal has the potential to be a stud in the future if he stays healthy. he has pretty solid mechanics, a good throwing motion and it doesn't appear he has to throw 100+ with too much effort.

good lookin kid

last_stand
10/11/12 12:32 AM

Haus I'm thinking he is working on a pretty good curve ball too.
What do ya think?

HAUS
(member for now)
10/11/12 02:29 AM

looks like the president of the ranger's curve, especially at 85mph

sptsman
(member)
10/11/12 11:48 AM

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, due to some travel. That forkin' game came on at 11:00 AM on the west coast. The highlights were fun to watch...

The Cards should wrap this series up today. Pitching is solid with Lohse, bullpen has been doing its job and the bats are alive. The Nats are still reeling from the last two blowouts and still whining about not having Strasburg. A few of them were quoted (off the record of course) and it sounds like something they are letting eat them up. One of them said if he were pitching they would have been up 2-0 after leaving STL. They might want to think about getting over it and trying to score a run or two... The Harper kid is squeezing the bat so hard you can see splinters coming off the handle. The Cards better wrap this up before he figures things out ... and that is just a matter of time.

Go Cards!!

last_stand
10/11/12 01:43 PM

I like our chances to win the series but not sure about today.

Loshe has 33 games under his belt. In 28 games he held the opposing team to 3 runs or less. Of the five remaining 2 were lost to the Nats by giving up more than 5 runs each. (sorry if you can't follow this Bubba)

The Nats starter is like 9-2 at home with a solid ERA. (Bubba, that means "earned run average)

anyway....GO CARDS!

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sptsman
(member)
10/12/12 01:24 PM

Welp, one of those rare occasions where last stand was right...

We got the vanishing offense once again. We didn't need 8 or 12 runs. 3 or 4 would have been just fine. Like we've seen all year, an average pitcher looks like Cy Young against the best hitting line-up in the NL. Hard to figure this bunch out sometimes. Like one of my old coaches used to say, "Sometimes hitting a baseball is just hard. They're throwing a round ball and trying to make you miss. You get to try to hit it with a round bat and you have less than 1" of room for error..."

Looking forward to tonight. Here's some sweeet irony. Strasburg and Wainwright both had the same surgery. Wainwright had his after Strasburg and is pitching tonight. Strasburg is sitting on the bench. If Wainwright were to go 7 or 8 innings and pick up the win. Can you imagine the howling we'll hear from DC? But alas, we get to face the likely Cy Young winner for 2012, Gio Gonzalez. Let's hope he doesn't have his best stuff...

Go Cards...

H2ODOG
(the one who never tires)
10/12/12 11:56 PM

Game one is going to come back and bite us in the ass. Should have won that one.

Mel
(member)
10/13/12 12:50 AM

Cards in a bit of a jam tonight. Last time I looked they were down by 6 runs.

hucklburry
(member)
10/13/12 01:32 AM

Does anyone have any faith around here? Look again.

H2ODOG
10/13/12 01:43 AM

Look dammit I have faith. I told yall last year when we were 7 out in Septermber we were gonna win it all. I'm just saying we should have won game 1 when we had a chance

JimDogAdministrator
(Freelance Gynecologist)
10/13/12 03:31 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Descalso is not a MLB ball player. Not sure what Matheney sees in this guy but he needs to go and give up the roster spot to a real player. As expected Matheny is making some rookie manager moves.

You nailed this one!

last_stand
10/13/12 03:57 AM

Quote:

JimDog said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Descalso is not a MLB ball player. Not sure what Matheney sees in this guy but he needs to go and give up the roster spot to a real player. As expected Matheny is making some rookie manager moves.

You nailed this one!

bwaaaaaaaa.....hey Sportmn can you see it now?

And Dog......good cover after the "game one bite us" dig.

Look, nobody would ever predict that comeback but I'll wait for nine innings to put the flowers on the grave of this team.

What a remarkable night. Put DC on the ever more popular "we hate the Cardinals" map. bwaaaaaaaa

H2ODOG
10/13/12 04:18 AM

My "cover" we were still down by 3 runs with 5 innings to play. You haters ALL wrote them off last year in August...let alone September. Game one should have been a win. We blew it. Down to the last out for 3 straight elination games.......and we pull it out for a win. This is one tough ass team. Comeback Cards

I hope Pujols is enjoying his time off

H2ODOG
10/13/12 04:25 AM

Nats
Flubbies
Reds
Brewers
Houston
Tigers
Albert Whojols

They all hate us!!!!

last_stand
10/13/12 04:28 AM

Always fun to visit our friends in Chicago, the land of losers, when the Cards are in the playoffs.

It starts around page 20 of the playoff thread and just gets better and better from there. Plane crashes, acid consumption.....bwaaaaaaaaa

These people are without a life.

http://northsidebaseball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61510&start=450

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/13/12 04:32 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Always fun to visit our friends in Chicago, the land of losers, when the Cards are in the playoffs.

It starts around page 20 of the playoff thread and just gets better and better from there. Plane crashes, acid consumption.....bwaaaaaaaaa

Uh.....you actually go to a site called northsidebaseball??

You can't post that and then say THEY don't have a life....you just can't.

No, you can't!!!!!!

griffin

last_stand
10/13/12 11:27 AM

I love their life...it brings so much joy to mine.

I'd walk 10 miles to read that thread.
bwaaaaaaaaaaa

foots
(the exterminator)
10/13/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Uh.....you actually go to a site called northsidebaseball??

You can't post that and then say THEY don't have a life....you just can't.

No, you can't!!!!!!

griffin

My brutha......they are cub fans, YES HE CAN.

last_stand
10/13/12 08:25 PM

Sorry griff, just can't help it.

Here's more from the land of losers and their OC fans:

[expletive] [expletive] [expletive] PIXIE [expletive] [expletive] DUST [expletive] YOU CARDINALS

God just hates the Cubs and always will. There's just no other explanation.

Well, thank goodness the Cubs are going to maximize all of their tremendous resources to trounce these turds.

I hope all their bottles are filled with acid

Postseason series victories since 1980:
Cardinals 17, Cubs 1

If the engines on the Cardinals plane went out on their way to San Francisco for the ALCS one of their [expletive] payers would probably hop out onto the wings and manually restart the engines and safe the [expletive] day. I [expletive] hate them.

The worst part is that this [expletive] is just going to keep happening when they restock next year with the best hitter in the minors, Oscar Taveras.

Oh, and I was depressed/angered enough I ceased talking to the girl I was talking to.

I'm glad to see everybody on here has been contemplating the same seemingly irrational thoughts that I have all night. The whole Cardinals team dying, higher beings getting involved, some sort of satanic involvement. Makes me feel completely normal again. Was starting to get worried. On a side note, I do love how many fans of other teams are acknowledging hatred towards these ridiculous circumstances. I'm sure at this point the fan bases that have new hate towards St Louis are: ATL, MIL, TEX, CIN, PIT, LA, ATL, ATL, WAS. Soon you can add SF and DET to the list too. I'm expecting when they ever do get eliminated (2018?) the number of fans showing outward jubilation will be extremely high.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/13/12 10:03 PM

OK , Last Stand , do not correct me if I am wrong , but this is how I envision your life.......

Sitting in your parents basement in a ratty Blue's jersey and Cardinal pajama pants , surrounded by 3 large flat screens. One is on ESPN , another on ESPN 2 and one on Fox Sports Midwest. You have a laptop in front of you on Wikipedia sports stats and an AM radio tuned into the Mike Shannon show.

Sir , I salute you,,,

H2ODOG
10/13/12 11:08 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Soon you can add SF and DET to the list too.

Detroit already hates us. In 2006 when they were supposed to sweep us. Their starting pitchers couldn't make a throw to first base in a few games, and we beat them in 5. Justin Verlander still says how much he HATES St. Louis. Piss on that sucker too.

last_stand
10/13/12 11:41 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
OK , Last Stand , do not correct me if I am wrong , but this is how I envision your life.......

Sitting in your parents basement in a ratty Blue's jersey and Cardinal pajama pants , surrounded by 3 large flat screens. One is on ESPN , another on ESPN 2 and one on Fox Sports Midwest. You have a laptop in front of you on Wikipedia sports stats and an AM radio tuned into the Mike Shannon show.

Sir , I salute you,,,

bwaaaaaaa

I confess to loving sports. I do my best to stick with my home teams good or bad but the good is a whole lot more fun!

I ain't a stat dude or a draftnic or any of that, no time no desire, just a fan who likes to cheer and spout off without a lot of prompting. bwaaaaaa

sptsman
(member)
10/16/12 12:04 PM

Welp, that was ugly. Carp implodes, the defense plays like the Bad News Berars and the bats go silent. not a recipe for winning, especially in the NLCS.

I won't get to see much, if any of Wednesday's game, due to some travel. Hopefully, Lohse can keep them at bay and the bats can get going again.

Go Cards!!

last_stand
10/16/12 04:10 PM

I think we have met our match in the Giants. They are a lot like the Cards, gritty and not in the mood to surrender. Did we max out with the Nats come from behind win?

Carp and Waino HAVE to do better. Move Freeze up one in the order, I think even Yadi would like that as he is as cold as he can be right now.

Holidays awkward, poorly timed slide being blown waaay out of proportion. Yes he tried to take him out. Surprise! And a memo for all players at the turn....you might want to think about getting air born next time or guess what....you may get a broken leg.

sptsman
(member)
10/16/12 04:36 PM

Did he slide a little late? Yep. So what? It's a hard game when you're turning two with a runner coming from first. Standing there with your feet planted is idiotic. I recall my brother getting his leg broke in four places on a similar deal. I'll never forget what my old man said to him, as he lay in his hospital bed the next day. "Maybe now you'll learn to get out of there, before the runner arrives..." That slide was no harder than dozens and dozens each year. But this one was on TV, in a playoff game so it will need to be blown up like the Kennedy assassination...

If this is such a big deal, why don't they change the rule? There was talk of it after Posey got hurt last year but nothing came of it. Don't cry about players playing hard if the rules allow it...

Here's another Hitler rant about the Cards beating the Nationals. These things never get old...

Hitler Rant

last_stand
10/17/12 02:08 AM

Buck and McCarver sure were outraged. Ad nauseum.

I was in the car about 30 minutes after the play and Shannon, sounding like he had just gulped a frosty, said Scutaro "shouldn't have expected much different by standing flat footed on the pivot. he - he- heeeee."

bwaaaaaaaaa

last_stand
10/19/12 05:33 PM

Cards are in good shape but no matter I really don't want them to go back to Frisco.

Hope they can get 'er done tonight.

H2ODOG
10/19/12 06:30 PM

I'll take some pics for ya LS. Always nice when a buddy calls with 2 extra tickets to a playoff game.

foots
(the exterminator)
10/22/12 02:11 AM

Stick a fork in them...........it's over.

Hey! It worked last year.

last_stand
10/22/12 11:41 AM

Crazy ain't it?

Slumping in the field, slumping at the plate and the pitching has not been nearly good enough.

The scale has fallen off the table tipping for the Giants. They are at home and everything is going their way.

It doesn't look good. Cards need a 180 degree turn for all aspects of their game. But no way I'm giving up on this team at this point.

wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
10/22/12 01:05 PM

The Baseball Gods may have decided that Matheny's failure to to remove Lynn in Game 5's fourth inning and not going all in with the bullpen.......

is reason enough to favor the Giants

Hoping Foots reverse Karma works

duko™
(member)
10/22/12 01:49 PM

I think the trouble with Matheny started in Game 5 when there was a man on 2nd and 3rd with one out in the bottom of the 2nd and they sent Lynn to the plate swinging....should have left the bat in the dugout or least tried to bunt down the first base line.

Now that the Giants have their hopes up there is no doubt in my mind that we'll totally demoralize their fans tonight...its the only thing we're good at...

duko

sptsman
(member)
10/22/12 02:22 PM

Go Cards... That's all i got to say bout all of this.

last_stand
10/22/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
The Baseball Gods may have decided that Matheny's failure to to remove Lynn in Game 5's fourth inning and not going all in with the bullpen.......

Bingo!

He took the 2 game lead for granted and FAILED to understand the possible ramifications we now face.

Then salt to the wound occurred per duko's post.

He's a rookie manager....hell he's a rookie everything having NEVER even coached.......but he's in game 7 for the pennant. Context is everything. Game 5 pisses me off but it's true if TLR was managing my tv might have a smashed screen by now too.

Weather tonight is supposed to be like at old Candlestick. Brang it!

Anyway, lot's of haters rooting against us tonight (fess up west siders) and I'd have it no other way. May the best team win!

Go Cards!!

last_stand
10/22/12 03:10 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

Holy chit....you finally got some meds.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mel
(member)
10/22/12 03:14 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

wuchang said:

Bingo!

He took the 2 game lead for granted and FAILED to understand the possible ramifications we now face.

Then salt to the wound occurred per duko's post.

He's a rookie manager....hell he's a rookie everything having NEVER even coached.......but he's in game 7 for the pennant. Context is everything. Game 5 pisses me off but it's true if TLR was managing my tv might have a smashed screen by now too.

Weather tonight is supposed to be like at old Candlestick. Brang it!

Anyway, lot's of haters rooting against us tonight (fess up west siders) and I'd have it no other way. May the best team win!

Go Cards!!

We just called Dinkinger to come out of retirement.

sptsman
(member)
10/22/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Holy chit....you finally got some meds.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No, I'm just plum tuckerd-out. I spent last week on the West (left) Coast, on a really jam packed trip. Got home Tursday and left 2 hours later for 150 mile bike ride halfway accross the state and now face 50-11 e-mails, phone calls and other crap at work. I am physically and mentally tapped.

But I still have time to take a peek here and see what gives. If time permitted and I had the energy (neither exists), I would set your crooked thinking straight (Matheny's moves had nothing to do with 1 run in 2 games - hitters aren't hitting. If we lost 8-7 or 6-5, you can make Matheny arguments). But alas, all I can muster up is the hope that the 8 or 12 run Cardinals show up and not the 1 run in 2 games Cardinals...

Prediction: Cards 6 Giants 3

Go Cards!!

foots
(the exterminator)
10/22/12 07:44 PM

We are toast.

hucklburry
(member)
10/23/12 02:46 AM

Well, since the Cards couldn't buy a run in 3 games, and my boss is from and lives in Detroit, I gotta say

fork

sptsman
(member)
10/23/12 03:11 AM

Welp, that was ugly... The post season was just a microcosm of the season. I heard a stat before the game that the Cardinals had 44 games where they scored 7 or more runs per game and 44 where they scored 2 or less.

Not having Berkman and Furcal was huge. Having Beltran and Holiday at far less than 100% didn't help. Way too many Memphis call-ups being used as full timers but there wasn't any other options. And let's not foget the complete choke job by some pretty key players, in this last 3 games.

Oh well, getting in on the 2nd Wild Card was sort of cheap to begin with and it felt like we were playing with house money. Just seeing them knock off the Braves and Nats was worth it. And I can't say much bad about the Giants. They're a lot like the Cardinals, in terms of scrappy and never-say-die.

Matheny gets a two thumbs up from me for this season. He got them to Game 7 of the NLCS, with a rag-tag, makeshift lineup at times. Not bad for a rookie manager.

As a Cubs fan would say, "There's always next year..." but for us, it's a real possibility...

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/23/12 05:04 AM

The only thing I was disappointed in was after Holiday got plunked on an 0-2 pitch (obvious retaliation for 'the slide'), and we had no chance to win the game, that we didn't just go all out brawl........maybe I'm just missing hockey.

griffin

last_stand
10/23/12 11:10 AM

Didn't think they'd do what they did but they sure as hell did.

sptsman
(member)
10/23/12 11:57 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
The only thing I was disappointed in was after Holiday got plunked on an 0-2 pitch (obvious retaliation for 'the slide'), and we had no chance to win the game, that we didn't just go all out brawl........maybe I'm just missing hockey.

griffin

Baseball has changed too much. Too many guys making millions that won't do anything to endager that. If that happened 20-30+ years ago, the batter would have taken for the mound like a bolt of lightening and thrown a few haymakers. These beardedclams just stand there and contemplate how getting hurt or suspended or fined would impact their contract status and bank account. Hell, Scott Boris probably has a set of rules Holiday has to follow from the time he wakes up until he goes to bed (including when he goes to bed).

Had he charged the mound, the usual catcher chasing scenario would have taken place. How great would that have been to watch Holiday launch Posey like Herschel Walker shedding tacklers? But alas, he took his medicine like a big boy and made sure he didn't casue any problems

H2ODOG
10/24/12 02:55 AM

I personally wish they would have plugged Holliday in the earhole the next AB after the slide. Dude is geat in the regular season. He turns into a journeyman AA ball player come October. I call him Farmer Holliday, because he is alwasys swinging at chit in the dirt. I guess the Giants knew they didn't need to create drama by hitting him. Throw balls in the dirt and he will get himself out.....he sure as hell looks at the balls down the middle of the plate.

Of offense was stale as hell the last 3 games. Mattheny can't swing the bat. Yes Lynn should have been pulled after 3 innings, but when you only score 1 run in 3 games you deserve to go home. That's all on the players.

We got back to the NLCS.....game 7, while Whojols was sittin at home with the "best team" to get him back to the playoffs. Hell that alone put a huge smile on my face, win or lose.

Paul Dallas
(member)
10/24/12 12:37 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:

We got back to the NLCS.....game 7, while Whojols was sittin at home with the "best team" to get him back to the playoffs. Hell that alone put a huge smile on my face, win or lose.

Holy epic flip-flop of the year post! Someone help me out here . . . Is this the same Dog who was head of the Pujols fan club? The same Dog who say PAY the man, he's worth it! The same Dog who said the Cardinals organization would be making a colossal mistake by not re-signing him? The same Dog who is now a hater, less than 10 months later?

H2ODOG
10/24/12 01:09 PM

Hell ya I was all for signing him. 24 hours before he signed with the Angels, the Cardinal organization worked their asses off to sign him. They did all they could do, and in the end Pujols gave them a big FU and went for more money. I can go dig up the quotes by Whojols that said it wasn't about the money, it was about winning. He loved STL and wanted to be a Cardinal for life. I'm not the flip-flopper, Pujols is.

I did say PAY THE MAN WHAT HE IS WORTH. Dewitt tried for 2 years to sign Whojols and pay him the money. Pujols at the last minute went to the Angels......to win and not for the money. I say piss on a guy for saying one thing and doing another.

I know facts are confusing to you liberals Paul Colmes Go stick your head back in the sand @ the political forum. Your brain will hurt less. I'm going to Blame Bush for not allowing the Cardinals to resign Whojols. Its gotta be his fault. Everything else is.

Paul Dallas
(member)
10/24/12 07:49 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:

I did say PAY THE MAN WHAT HE IS WORTH. Dewitt tried for 2 years to sign Whojols and pay him the money. Pujols at the last minute went to the Angels......to win and not for the money. I say piss on a guy for saying one thing and doing another.

Martha??? . . . . Martha, can you please get the transcript and read back to us precisely what Dawg said back in February 2012? Did he really say "pay the man what he is worth" or is he parsing his words here?

Didn't he really say, "pay the man every dollar and cent he was asking for at that time because he was worth it" . . . .which at that time, every SANE member of "Cardinal Nation" knew to be WELL NORTH of where DeWitt was willing to go, and well north of where they should even consider.

Martha? Martha? transcript please?

H2ODOG
10/24/12 07:57 PM

You are the smart liberal here.......you go find it Mr. Colmes. I've got work to do, so I can pay taxes, & so folks like yourself can get a income tax check come April. If you have trouble finding it, just ask Sportsman. He knows everything about any sports from Baseball to dodgeball.

Paul Dallas
(member)
10/24/12 08:00 PM

The prosecution rests your honor. I have no further use for this Dog.

H2ODOG
10/24/12 08:49 PM

http://www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=213743&an=0&page=3#213743

Last February. Try to read that thread and see where I said PAY THE MAN WHAT HE IS WORTH. Case closed. Paul Biden Colmes is still a fork.... Can we now give the Paula a lethal injection???

Paul Dallas
(member)
10/24/12 08:57 PM

Wrong thread, Dog. It was a different thread in which you posted up all your wiki research stats of Pujols and gushed over how the Cardinals couldn't afford NOT to have him . . . .

H2ODOG
10/24/12 09:11 PM

Quote:

Paul Dallas said:
Quote:

H2ODOG said:

Martha??? . . . . Martha, can you please get the transcript and read back to us precisely what Dawg said back in February 2012? Did he really say "pay the man what he is worth" or is he parsing his words here?

You said the thread from February 2012. I can have Martha read the transcript for you. Try not to flip flop on your position in a little over an hour. You asked, I delivered.

H2ODOG
10/24/12 09:33 PM

http://www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=213876&an=0&page=8#213876

http://www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=213102&an=0&page=9#213102

Read them also Paula. Said pay him what he is worth.

H2ODOG
10/24/12 09:54 PM

Its a reoccuring theme. Pay the man what he was worth. They tried. Pujols said he wanted on teams playing for championships. He flip flopped. I also said Pujols will stay at his HOF pace. 30 HR 105 RBI's .285 average with 50 doubles this year. 50 doubles is more than he has had since 2004. He struggled hard for first few months in the new league. His numbers would have been better in STL had he stayed. Look at his numbers in LA and the leaders of STL this year. Albert would have been 2 hits behind team leader Holliday. Led the team in doubles, RBI's and 2 behind Carlos for the HR lead. He still put up good numbers. Great, no....and his first month in the AL hurt him.

Piss on Pujols, he's dead to me.

last_stand
10/26/12 10:39 AM

I wanted to pay plenty to keep him for a shorter term but looking back would have to say no doubt glad we did not land him for any mega deal.

Of the 25 guys on the roster Monday night 17 were Cardinal farm prospects. If you can do that and win games it's a pretty nice way to go. The one thing I'm not sure about is how many of those guys were Lunhow's picks.

sptsman
(member)
12/12/12 04:20 PM

Schu gone. Bummer. A good guy, by all accounts and you can't argue his contributions to their success...

Maybe he can get some help, in LA, for the OCD thing he has with his batting gloves...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5