last_stand
(the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar)
09/24/15 08:38 PM
2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES

Might as well start off with a barn burner.
bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/pr...e208981373.html

GO BLUE BABY!

wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
09/24/15 09:49 PM
Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES

You just had to go there didn't ya???

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
09/24/15 11:53 PM

Ah , Hell NO!!! Surely not yet! A forking bowling league of a sport.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
09/25/15 02:49 AM

I was there tonight....Elliott STILL looks like the #1 he has been for the last 2 years, and should have been in the playoffs as well.

Really, I like Hitchcock......but his handling of the goaltenders with the Blues has been abysmal.

griffin

last_stand
09/25/15 01:35 PM

Elliott fell apart down the stretch. If he even made the stretch.

Hitch might look like Santa Claus, but he isn't.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
09/25/15 01:38 PM

Can we start talking hockey say in February or maybe early March? It is apparent that the regular season really doesn't matter..

wuchangAdministrator
09/25/15 02:00 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Can we start talking hockey say in February or maybe early March? It is apparent that the regular season really doesn't matter..

Its Blue's hockey ---

the regular season is all they have since it is one and done in the playoffs

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
09/25/15 02:13 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Elliott fell apart down the stretch. If he even made the stretch.

Hitch might look like Santa Claus, but he isn't.

You know what....no he didn't. That's just bullchit and always will be. Two years ina row....two REALLY GOOD seasons in a row, the Blues replaced their #1 goalie for the playoffs. Seriously, stop with the stupid talk.

No other team does that.......Hitchcock can't even spell goalie.

sptsman
(member)
09/25/15 04:12 PM

I say they make a trade: David "Stray-Dog-Whisperer" Backes for a #1 netminder... Whatdaya say?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
09/25/15 04:49 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Its Blue's hockey ---

Well that is true Master Wu.
Q: How many St. Louis Blues does it take to win a Stanley Cup?
A: Nobody knows and we may never find out!

wuchangAdministrator
09/25/15 05:18 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Its Blue's hockey ---

Well that is true Master Wu.
Q: How many St. Louis Blues does it take to win a Stanley Cup?
A: Nobody knows and we may never find out!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
09/25/15 08:22 PM

The Blues have been compared to the Cubs (IMHO rightfully so) due to the history of each teams playoff ineptness. The angst of the Cubbie fans and their many attempts to remove the "curse" are well documented.
So, my question is.. Is trading Oshie the Blues version of sacrificing a goat?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
09/25/15 09:23 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
The Blues have been compared to the Cubs (IMHO rightfully so) due to the history of each teams playoff ineptness. The angst of the Cubbie fans and their many attempts to remove the "curse" are well documented.

Naw, it was just a matter of getting rid of a guy who fell down about as much as he stayed on his feet and thought he was bigger than then coach.

last_stand
09/25/15 09:50 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Naw, it was just a matter of getting rid of a guy who fell down about as much as he stayed on his feet and thought he was bigger than then coach.

We can agree on that at least.

Elliott fell down bad last March. His SP went to hell. I mean in a NY minute. Hitch gave the shot to Allen and never really gave Ell's another shot to get his job back.

It WAS a huge mistake to go with Allen in post season. Hitch should have gone back to Ell's with 3 or 4 games but he never did. But forkin Elloitt needs to help himself out at the same time. Jesus what is it with these goalies and the Blues.

Heard Hitch just today "If someone wants to grab the job this October I am prepared to give it to him" (paraphrase)
So here we go again. Forkin October does NOT define this season!!!

Griffin you said you went to the game the other night just curious if Fabbri played and if he did what did he look like? Can he make this roster? From what I have seen of him if he is ready we need some of that.

I like the move getting rid of Oshie. Pretty sure he is a hugely self centered player, and he didn't do his mates much good with that crap and the whining and once his play fell down there was nothing left for him here. I am certain Hitchcock is happy to be rid of him.

So Oshie gone = good. Play reckless = good.

Win the Stanley Cup = Holy Chit Good.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
09/25/15 10:13 PM

"So you're telling me there's a chance..."
- When Hell freezes over
- when pigs fly
etc..

sptsman
(member)
10/06/15 12:38 PM

Roster is set. Appears they will have a different look this year. Although Backes is still wearing the "C" apparently. Once again, they'll have to overcome his complete inability to lead anything other than a stray animal rescue mission...

Watch for a mid-season trade for a #1 goaltender...

Wake me in April...

last_stand
10/06/15 01:19 PM

Some new faces. Fabbri, Parayko and did Edmunson make the team or not?

Plus we have the new wreckless and crazy and fast Hitch strategy in play.

Hitch says he'll have a #1 goalie selected by November 1st. I hink I'll wait until the 2nd and just get it from griffin.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sptsman
(member)
10/06/15 01:53 PM

Here is the PD version...

Blues set roster

wuchangAdministrator
10/06/15 02:32 PM

From the PD comment page

Quote:

sptsman said:

By the way, google the term "tongue in cheek" And maybe lighten up a little. It's sports...

Go gettem Andy

sptsman
(member)
10/06/15 03:32 PM

Sometimes those wingnuts get a little too serious. Always fun to keep 'em riled up...

last_stand
10/08/15 03:01 PM

GO BLUE!!

last_stand
10/09/15 10:12 AM

This Parayko kid looks pretty darn good.

NOT comparing achievement or stats but some of his moves did remind me a bit of Pronger.

sptsman
(member)
10/09/15 10:33 AM

Overall pretty impressive performance. Hard to get much of a read based on the first game of the season. Here's what I took away from it:

Shattenkirk looks about 100x better after a full recovery from the abs surgery. He could have a Norris trophy year if he stays healthy. On the flip side, Gunnerson needs to be better at clearing the puck and making the outlet passes. Agreed, Parayko looks solid. Let's hope it continues. Defense is still gelling. They looked a little disorganized at times. That should get better as the season rolls along.

The offense is bigger and clearly stronger this year. Very impressive performances for the young guns. Lot's of hype about Fabbri's first goal but give 90% of the credit for that goal to Lehtera. That was a Gretzky-like pass.

Elliott was strong in goal. Gave up one fluke goal that you can hardly hold against him.

Good to start the season with a W.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/09/15 11:42 AM

Hockey doesn't count until late February/early March at which time the Blues are usually counted out.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/09/15 12:38 PM

A nice start.

Power play is nowhere near ready. The fitness level needs A LOT of work.....I saw some guys really struggling at the end of their shifts. All early season stuff.

In the good end....I really like the size of this team. There has to be the ability to play physical and I think this team can.

Elliot has looked good all through the preseason and was sharp last night. He continues to be the best goalie in the organization...like he has been the last 3 seasons.

griffin

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
10/09/15 06:20 PM

serenity now....

last_stand
10/18/15 10:51 PM

Ells is 4-0 in October and looks like a Vezina winner. He looks really good.

That is all.

sptsman
(member)
10/19/15 12:17 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
...I really like the size of this team. There has to be the ability to play physical and I think this team can.

Well, if anyone got a chance to watch yesterday's game the ability to match up physically with anyone was answered. That was a bruising effort. And to pull off that win with three or four significant scratches and being the 4th game in 6 days is damned impressive!! Oh, look for a fine and/or suspension for Dustin Byfuglien, for that hit on Bouwmeester. That had the potential to be career ending...

We'll see how they fare in Montreal with the red hot Habs. That will be the 5th game is 7 days and the 5th in a row on the road. Handing them their first loss would be pretty special. But i can't recommend putting any money down on the Blues tomorrow night...

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/20/15 06:35 PM

Once again.. It's the Blues.. Let me know when the win a playoff series.. seriously.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
10/23/15 04:30 PM

Can we just go with Elliot as the starter now? Geez.....Allen is a great backup at this point, but nowhere near Elliot's level of play.

griffin

wuchangAdministrator
10/23/15 06:38 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Once again.. It's the Blues.. Let me know when the win a playoff series.. seriously.

Last Stand will wake you up--

if it is meaningful

sptsman
(member)
10/23/15 06:39 PM

Jaden Schwartz just went to the hospital. Seems he blew a tire in practice and got intimate with the goalpost (or something like that - reports vary). Since griffin tells us he makes everyone better, I have no worries. He'll just make himself better...

A Blues team missing Schwartz, Stastny, Shattenkirk, Fabbri and Berglund is what you would call depleted. I hesitated putting Berglund on there because I think they are actually a little better with him out...

Hopefully, the goaltending can help them through this. I wonder who they'll play?

last_stand
10/25/15 11:22 AM

It's October. There's always that.

Schwartz getting into a bad habit of being injured a lot. Practice injuries are always the best.

Missed last nights game, still haven't seen 3 on 3 but I hope it sticks, not a fan of the shoot out to determine a winner.

Brouwer doing well, much more physical player than Oshie. He is not getting Oshie minutes but it's great having Jaskin, Rattie and even Upshall getting more time on the ice. I think that's a big part of the Oshieless Blues.

And on edit: Parayko. Wow. So far, the COMPLETE package.

sptsman
(member)
11/05/15 12:28 PM

WOW!! I would have bet big money that game was over after the first period. I kept the game on not to see a win but just to see if they would show some character and at least represent themselves in periods 2 and 3. Between Chicago going into a funk and the Blues turning it up 5 notches, I have to say that was one of the most impressive wins I've seen in a while. To do that in the Hawks home building is impressive!!

A few notes early in the season:
Gunnarsson is still a liability and needs to play more consistently or be moved to another team or to the AHL (not sure if that is even an option). Once Shattenkirk gets back they will have the depth at D to give him the choice, step it up or step out! I have been impressed with Petteri Lindbohm, when he's had the chance to play. Bring him up.

Colton Parayko is going to win at least one Norris Trophy and probably multiple, in his career. For him to be this good, this poised, this impactful in his first year, in the NHL, at age 22 is unbelievable. It is not so hard to believe for an offensive player but defensemen usually take a few years to develop and play this good. The crazy thing is that he looks a little like Pronger but really skates like him as well.

Backes is slowly coming around but he has clearly lost a full step. He is getting out-skated on a regular basis. Wondering if the bruising style of play over the years is taking its toll a few years earlier than it hits most NHL'ers. He is going to have to compensate for his lost speed by playing smarter. Not exactly his strong suit. As much as I think he is a very bad "C" I am pulling for him to get better.

The netminding situation is simply baffling. I guess we just hold our breath and hope it works itself out. Personally, I disagree with griffin and think Allen has the higher upside. Just not sure if either of them can carry the water. Then again, if the team plays well in front of them and doesn't need the goalie to steal a game, they'll be just fine with either. But you rarely see Cup winners with just average netminding...

Looong way to go. They've done an admirable job getting along without some very key players. Let's hope they can maintain that until they get healthy...

Go Blue!!

HAUS
(member for now)
11/05/15 02:08 PM

that was impressive last night..

last_stand
11/05/15 05:29 PM

Last night was FUN. I hate that forker Shaw. Can not stand him and he was given that forkin penalty shot on what???

Hitchcock has to end this ridiculous goalie merry go round he runs. He pulls more levers than one legged crane operator.

He had Elliott playing pretty well earlier then he pretty much inexplicably switches him out and gives Allen all this playing time then puts Elliott back in against Chicago on a back to back game. Almost deliberately setting him up.

He needs to PICK A FORKIN #1 and STICK WITH HIM. I guess that's Allen. For Now. I guess. Unless he gets another itch up his azz.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
11/30/15 03:49 AM

Is the season over or what? I need some insightful indepth analysis.

wuchangAdministrator
11/30/15 10:04 AM

In depth analysts must be still be in a turkey coma but here is a non in depth observation

The season is not over.....they have not lost in the first round of the playoffs yet.

sptsman
(member)
11/30/15 12:09 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Is the season over or what? I need some insightful indepth analysis.

Blues are almost 1/4 of the way through the season. If the playoffs started today, they would be 2nd in the Western Conference and playing Arizona or Minnesota or somebody they should beat in 5 games. But this is the Blues. We are a little skittish about what happens come playoff time...

As far as analysis, just watch Tarasenko. He's the real deal and the most pure scorer this team has seen since Brett Hull (albeit in a different manner). And keep an eye on defenseman Colton Parayko. He could win the Calder Trophy this season (Rookie of the Year). Overall a pretty good team that could go deep in the playoffs, if not for the playoff loss albatross they wear around their neck...

Go Blues!!

fastman
(member)
12/02/15 01:14 PM

That was knot impressive last night
Schooled by a 43 year old.lmao

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/02/15 03:02 PM

Every time a team plays the Blues like Florida did last night the Blues take an ass whipping.

The Blues like to rush the defense into the mix.....if you stand them up at the Blue line like Florida did all night you force the Blues to play dump and chase, which is not a winning formula, and you create a ton of odd man rushes, which Florida enjoyed.

dabsAdministrator
()
12/02/15 03:27 PM

Just to remind you - Royals are World Champions. They do well with the odd man rushes

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/02/15 03:58 PM

Thank God I only have to listen to that crap from you forkers once every 30 years or so. With any luck, at my age, this will be the last time.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
12/04/15 02:00 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Every time a team plays the Blues like Florida did last night the Blues take an ass whipping.

The Blues like to rush the defense into the mix.....if you stand them up at the Blue line like Florida did all night you force the Blues to play dump and chase, which is not a winning formula, and you create a ton of odd man rushes, which Florida enjoyed.

If the Blues have a flaw on offense, it is the one-too-many-passes syndrome. That was one of their worst performances of the year. It was a combination of effort (10%) and not adjusting to the game that was being played (90%). Hopefully, they move on and take it to the Islanders tonight.

Oh, I almost forgot, KC

fastman
(member)
12/07/15 12:55 PM

Saw Hitch interviewed last night on sports final.

I believe he said that the blues are mostly lazy bums.
Hitch praised Tarasako up & down on how hard he works, day in and day out. Times will tell if the team even cares.

On a side note ( pun intended ), how can the B Note survive without otts not dressing ( another intentional pun )for maybe three months. Those 34 penalties & 2 assists will shirly spell doom for the bluz

fastman
(member)
12/18/15 12:33 PM

Team musta got the message. Blues & Allen lookin good lately.

sptsman
(member)
12/21/15 12:43 PM

Yep, looking good the last few games... Two games on the east coast tonight and tomorrow night. If they can get two of the four point available, that will be just fine with me...

sptsman
(member)
12/22/15 12:00 PM

What a letdown last night. All good until Philly woke up and started playing like they meant business. The Blues just laid down and a took a 2nd and 3rd period arse-whoopin'. They were outplayed, out-hit, out-hustled and most importantly, out-scored. Once again, they tried to make one too many passes several times and it cost them. I recall one specific play where Stastny had a wide open shot from less than 20' and tried to make some highlight reel pass. SHOOT THE FORKIN' PUCK!!!

Also pretty disappointed in how they let themselves get manhandled and how they let Philly take liberties with scorers. Of course the officiating was dreadful but that is just the norm in the NHL these days. I suspect we are on the upside of calls as much as the downside overall. But last night was brutal and the Blues were certainly on the downside... The too many men penalty was just incorrect and the penalty on Lehtera for high sticking Giroux was one of the worst calls you will see in an NHL game. That one lead to a goal.

Let's hope for better results (and effort) in Boston tonight.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/22/15 01:05 PM

I notice #91 gets knocked on his ass quite a bit. That needs to end. Every time it happens there should be hell to pay. The Blues need to wake up and protect their scorers. It's an issue for the Captain to address.....or make a new forking "C".

griffin

sptsman
(member)
12/22/15 03:33 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
I notice #91 gets knocked on his ass quite a bit. That needs to end. Every time it happens there should be hell to pay. The Blues need to wake up and protect their scorers. It's an issue for the Captain to address.....or make a new forking "C".

griffin

Backes is a weak "C". I've been saying it for years. They should have given it to Tarasenko this year or maybe even to Parayko next year. It simply has to be removed from Backes' sweater...

They have the best or one of the best penalty kill units in the NHL. Take a few roughing or fighting penalties if needed to deliver the message. I have very vivid memories of players rouging up Gretzky and getting a face-full of Marty McSorley or Dave Semenko within seconds. And it was usually pretty ugly. How often did Steve Yzerman get roughed up with Bob Probert or Darren McCarty nearby? Reaves is pretty good but he doesn't have that psycho edge that opponents fear, like Tony Twist or Bob Probert or Tie Domi (or if you want to stroll down memory lane, like Dave Schultz or Clark Gillies). And to let a forkin' Ruskie like Medvedev run roughshod over players is just a complete disgrace. They should have been using a broom an shovel to pick up his chiclets off the ice by the middle of the 2nd period.

This team better toughen up and get some heart or it is going to be another short playoff run...

last_stand
12/25/15 03:39 AM

Don't hold your breath for a Twist or Domi or Probert.

Ain't happening. Not here and not anywhere anymore.

Like it or not Hitch's style is here and whenever the players decide to go freelance things seem to go the way they did in Philly.

We have the goal tending do we have the goal scorers?

Senko and Fabbri bring new blood. Need to get Schwartz back hope he can make it the rest of the way.

I remain unconvinced but we are still in December. Let's see where we are in March.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
12/29/15 10:40 PM

Name Droppers!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
12/30/15 12:03 AM

"I remain unconvinced but we are still in December. Let's see where we are in March."
I don't know where "we" will be but I'd bet the Blues players will be playing golf like they are every year..

sptsman
(member)
12/30/15 01:23 PM

After watching last night's 3rd period meltdown and Sunday's no-show in Dallas, I have to wonder about the make-up of this team. Very odd how they can play so well and dominate a game so decisively, then turn around and be almost non-existent in the next period of the very same game. I don't ever recall seeing a team look so good and so bad in the same game, so many times. Consistency seems to be an issue with this bunch. But it is only December...

Allen is clearly the real deal. Not sure if he was just brought up too soon or just needed the seasoning/experience he got to become a top-tier keeper. If he can show this level of play in the playoffs, we may just have a real, top-tier netminder. But that is a HUGE "if". That Bluenote seems to have a kryptonite effect on goalies in STL.

Disappointed to see Berglund skating again. That means he'll soon be on the ice. Unless he's had a heart transplant, I can't think of one guy I'd remove from the line-up to insert in his place. I hope he proves me wrong but he is the biggest waste of skill, size and talent in the history of the Blues.

Go Blues!!

last_stand
12/31/15 02:30 PM

Agree on Jake, however Tuesdays game was not his best. He made some great plays but the PP goal was quite doable for him imo.

I was there, had a good time. Hockey is one of the best spectator sports IMO.

We had best find a killer instinct if we want to actually play more than a few games in April. Up 3-1 somehow and then you give up 2 goals in the closing minutes.

I am a fan of the 3 on 3 OT. Apparently, Hitch doesn't think much of Fabbri for that, he never saw a minute of OT ice.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/31/15 06:09 PM

I have come around on Allen.......no problem with him being the #1.

I hope Berglund has a heart attack getting back into shape.....or gets hit by a car.....or a train...or falls into a wood chipper....or gets beheaded by ISIS.

3 on 3 is fun, but if we can't have a full sudden death (and I have no idea why we can't....it ain't going to last long aith 3 on 3), I'd rather just go straight to a shootout with NO point given for regulation "tie". Anything to get rid of that single point......it's stupid. It made sense when there were actual ties.....but it's been ridiculous since the OT format was devised.

griffin

last_stand
12/31/15 06:57 PM

If Allen keeps this up, not sure how to react to play offs. Does this mean we have a chance to take a series? Team still has to be able to bounce back and win when down.

So I wait to see if he will keep it up. He has sound fundamentals, pretty good with his stick/puck too.

I don't like the point system either. Much prefer OT to a shoot out, but fans like that dam shoot out.

For once in many moons I will watch the All Star game. They are doing 3 on 3 with 4 teams of 12 (I think) selected, winner of it all gets a million bucks. How they will get the defensive guys into that will be interesting. And if I were a goalie, I think I'd like it better than the usual goal fest games they have for this event. I'm guessing the effort will be 10X's that of their usual All Star stuff.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/31/15 09:26 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

For once in many moons I will watch the All Star game. They are doing 3 on 3 with 4 teams of 12 (I think) selected, winner of it all gets a million bucks. How they will get the defensive guys into that will be interesting. And if I were a goalie, I think I'd like it better than the usual goal fest games they have for this event. I'm guessing the effort will be 10X's that of their usual All Star stuff.

Well.....that's not really hockey, but then neither is the regular format. I may watch this year, though.....just to see how it goes.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
01/01/16 03:54 PM

I'm considering tuning in myself. Should be swell.

sptsman
(member)
01/04/16 03:51 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
If Allen keeps this up, not sure how to react to play offs. Does this mean we have a chance to take a series? Team still has to be able to bounce back and win when down.

Allen has not been as sharp the last 4-5 games but Elliott has not exactly been "the man" when he was inserted. What encourages me about Allen is that he has shown several games of very solid play. In short, we know he has what it takes. As always, it will come down to his and the rest of this team's ability to step-up un April...

The All-Star game is going to be a exhibition of skating, shooting and scoring. Since they have all but choked it out if the regular 5 on 5 game, this is the only time you'll get to see pure offensive talent, other than the OT 3 on 3. Not sure how it is going to be received but I know if it can be forked up, the NHL will find a way to fork it up.

DADAKOTA
(member)
01/04/16 08:18 PM

Allen might amount to something if he can stop giving up a terrible goal each game.

sptsman
(member)
01/05/16 12:16 PM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Allen might amount to something if he can stop giving up a terrible goal each game.

Agreed. Elliott did the same last night. I didn't see the 2nd goal but the 1st was just a weak goal that I'm sure he would like to have back. I didn't see the 2nd because I had some chores to do before bed. The wife asked why I wasn't going to watch the end of the game and I told her I'd already seen it. After watching the 2nd period decline, I figured the 3rd period would follow the same script as many of the recent games. I got up the morning to see they didn't score in the 3rd period, gave up a goal then lost in OT. It was easy to see coming and I didn't want to watch it...

This team has a serious leadership issue amongst the players. Until that is dealt with in some manner, your going to see this again and again. Soon we'll have dissent and finger pointing. I hope Hitchcock and Armstrong can get this figured out ASAP. Backes would not be the first Captain to ever be traded...

last_stand
01/05/16 01:59 PM

He was screened 100% on the second goal. He was not at fault on the OT goal either.

Another lead squandered, being a trend here as of late.

Backes is in his last year so he would be a candidate to move in February. He should not be resigned by the Blues imo so moving him would make sense. He will have value for some teams in the hunt. And the Blues need to pick up some values themselves, players that can score would help.

Team definitely in a funk right now.

I can't say I'm surprised at any of this. Other than Oshie, no big moves were made to change much. I am at peace with it all. I'd actually like to see these guys fighting for a playoff spot in March than what I've seen in recent years which has ultimately led to nothing.

Go Blue!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
01/05/16 03:15 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

DADAKOTA said:

Agreed. Elliott did the same last night. I didn't see the 2nd goal but the 1st was just a weak goal that I'm sure he would like to have back. I didn't see the 2nd because I had some chores to do before bed. The wife asked why I wasn't going to watch the end of the game and I told her I'd already seen it. After watching the 2nd period decline, I figured the 3rd period would follow the same script as many of the recent games. I got up the morning to see they didn't score in the 3rd period, gave up a goal then lost in OT. It was easy to see coming and I didn't want to watch it...

This team has a serious leadership issue amongst the players. Until that is dealt with in some manner, your going to see this again and again. Soon we'll have dissent and finger pointing. I hope Hitchcock and Armstrong can get this figured out ASAP. Backes would not be the first Captain to ever be traded...

I thought it was all Oshie's fault? At least that is what several folks on here said??

last_stand
01/05/16 06:35 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:

I thought it was all Oshie's fault? At least that is what several folks on here said??

You thought who said what was Oshie's fault?

Spit it out man.

sptsman
(member)
01/06/16 01:23 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

You thought who said what was Oshie's fault?

Spit it out man.

Most people that follow the Blues thought Oshie was a problem and I was one of them. He openly criticized the Coach and vanished in the big games and spotlight. He was traded and it has proven to be the right move. I don't recall anyone claiming everything was his fault.

I have only one criticism of the way Hitch is handling things (other than the ongoing "C" on Backes). He has a real talent in Robby Fabbri and until recently left him mired on the #4 line. Forget all of that old school code and how he has to learn to be a pro and earn his stripes, blah, blah, blah... Put the kid on a line with some legit scorers and he'll produce. He's got the highest shooting % on the team and you have to be a moron not to see he has special talent. When Schwartz comes back, you'll have at least 4 or 5 guys with 20-30 goal per year talent.

Let's hope this road trip brings out some team unity and some better play for an entire 60 mins...

Go Blue!!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
01/07/16 01:52 AM

The only criticism I have of Hitch is that none of his teams in the last 10 years have made it past the second round of the playoffs.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
01/07/16 01:54 AM

By the way sptsman, what exactly is the "proof" that you speak of regarding trading Oshie?

last_stand
01/21/16 11:36 PM

Really liked that game last night. While far from perfect, Ell's was magnificent and the team played pretty darn good in front of him. Back in the day, that game went to the Wings in the 3rd at the Joe.

I'm getting a little sucked in now with this team. They made no big significant moves last year so the makeup is not radically different but the young guys are starting to gel and the old dogs, who used to be the young core, seem up for the fight to salvage something of their long talked about legacy which so far hasn't amounted to chit.

And there it is for me. This year, the one with no major moves, where the team can't score enough goals, where no one really knows what "reckless" actually means, where we seem to run in streaks, where there is yet another goalie controversy on the brink, where no one reeealy believes this team has a chance ................well why the fork not.

Get Schwartzy back. Stay healthy. Hitch don't fork it up with the minders. Now, make that next jump.

Dayum they got me.

sptsman
(member)
01/22/16 01:05 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Really liked that game last night. While far from perfect, Ell's was magnificent and the team played pretty darn good in front of him. Back in the day, that game went to the Wings in the 3rd at the Joe.

I'm getting a little sucked in now with this team. They made no big significant moves last year so the makeup is not radically different but the young guys are starting to gel and the old dogs, who used to be the young core, seem up for the fight to salvage something of their long talked about legacy which so far hasn't amounted to chit.

And there it is for me. This year, the one with no major moves, where the team can't score enough goals, where no one really knows what "reckless" actually means, where we seem to run in streaks, where there is yet another goalie controversy on the brink, where no one reeealy believes this team has a chance ................well why the fork not.

Get Schwartzy back. Stay healthy. Hitch don't fork it up with the minders. Now, make that next jump.

Dayum they got me.

April is rapidly approaching... But we have the trade deadline first...

last_stand
01/22/16 11:53 AM

Backes and Shattenkirk most talked about there. I would think they far prefer to move Backes if they can.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
01/22/16 01:56 PM

Hey, Elliot is only 5-1-1 since taking over for Allen.....and he's only stopped 111 of 117 shots. Let's get rid of him.....he sucks.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
01/22/16 03:13 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Backes and Shattenkirk most talked about there. I would think they far prefer to move Backes if they can.

If they move Shattenkirk, I will be very bummed. Look at the power play stats with him in and out of the line-up. And I can't see a scenario where they move Backes unless they are 100% convinced they can't sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, at a reduced cost. That one is hard to read.

My fantasy is a package deal the sends Backes and Berglund to anywhere for any player(s) with a solid playoff resume... Unfortunately, there just aren't enough deaf, dumb and blind GM's that would take Berglund and his salary for anything more than a bag of pucks.

sptsman
(member)
01/22/16 03:19 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Hey, Elliot is only 5-1-1 since taking over for Allen.....and he's only stopped 111 of 117 shots. Let's get rid of him.....he sucks.

griffin

Elliott does not usually suck during the regular season. In fact, he has a pretty good history of regular season success. He has historically waited until the playoffs to suck... Allen is about the same with a little less history. The problem with both has nothing to do with talent or regular season performance. For both it is all about stepping up and playing well during the playoffs.

last_stand
01/22/16 06:02 PM

I did not agree with Hitchcock's handling of this last year when he shut Elliott out unfairly imo in March and stuck with the rookie for the playoffs. Maybe there will be a payoff for that experience this year, I dunno.

It will be interesting to see if Ell's has taken the job away or if we do the musical chair thing. I just want one of them hot and in the net for April.

As is now, either one could stand on their head and we still have to beat some great teams from the git go. We need a competent goalie, that's all, and a forkin team who won't lay down.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
01/22/16 11:10 PM

Just stop.

The goalies have never been the problem with this team......except for the failed experiment when they brought your savior over for the end of the season and playoff run......what was that washed up bastards name again?

Like it or not......one goalie has been through it all and still stands tall. He deserves to be the #1 and given a chance to take the team down the road in the playoffs. That man is Brian Elliot.......the same as it has been since he got here.

Get over it.

griffin

dabsAdministrator
()
01/22/16 11:18 PM

You mean Ell's?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
01/22/16 11:19 PM

Fork you Dabber.

last_stand
01/24/16 01:14 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Just stop.

The goalies have never been the problem with this team......except for the failed experiment when they brought your savior over for the end of the season and playoff run......what was that washed up bastards name again?

Like it or not......one goalie has been through it all and still stands tall. He deserves to be the #1 and given a chance to take the team down the road in the playoffs. That man is Brian Elliot.......the same as it has been since he got here.

Get over it.

griffin

Glad that's settled.

Now let's win the Cup.

DADAKOTA
(member)
01/24/16 05:44 PM

Another blues team with no heart. Watched them stand around in the third period against the Avalanche especially the last 2 minutes. Once again the Blues blow a game when they should have earned a 2 point win in regulation. Ought to change their name to the Cubs.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
01/25/16 12:05 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

Elliott does not usually suck during the regular season. In fact, he has a pretty good history of regular season success. He has historically waited until the playoffs to suck... Allen is about the same with a little less history. The problem with both has nothing to do with talent or regular season performance. For both it is all about stepping up and playing well during the playoffs.

I believe you have described the Blues in general.. just saying..

sptsman
(member)
01/25/16 01:01 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I believe you have described the Blues in general.. just saying..

Make no mistake, I don't put the Blues playoff woes on the back of the netminders. They certainly play a role and need to step up much better than they have in the past. The biggest "blame" goes to the core players that have all but vanished when it comes playoff time.

If this team can't figure out how to score and play a full 60 mins of hockey, it isn't going to matter who is between the pipes. Hopefully this long rest and the return of Schwartz will give them a boost.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/03/16 01:34 PM

Man, we gotta get rid of Elliot. I wish there was a #1 goalie we could trade for.

last_stand
02/03/16 11:02 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

Enough with your high ground crap on Elliott. A month ago you had him at #2.

I wanna win a Cup. I could give a flyin fork who's in net just so it's the right guy to win that cup.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
02/03/16 11:18 PM

ditto!

dabsAdministrator
()
02/04/16 12:11 AM

Patrick Roy would be a great pickup at this point!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/04/16 09:45 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

griffin said:

Enough with your high ground crap on Elliott. A month ago you had him at #2.

I wanna win a Cup. I could give a flyin fork who's in net just so it's the right guy to win that cup.

That hurts me. I was trying to be serious. Seriously, do you think we can trade Elliot for a possible #1? Seriously, this guy just can't get it done.

DADAKOTA
(member)
02/05/16 05:30 PM

Blues having a tough time scoring. Elliot has been playing better than the rest of those pansies.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
02/07/16 02:01 AM

You could put the 1976 Canadiens team out there and this coach and management would screw them up..

last_stand
02/07/16 11:58 AM

FOUR GOALS.

I guess cows can fly now too.

And another great game for Elliott.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/15/16 03:57 PM

Elliott now #1 in Save Percentage and #3 in GAA in the league.

I tell you, this guy is just not a #1 goaltender. If the Blues are going to have a meaningful playoff run they will have to do something at this position.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
02/15/16 04:37 PM

No, he will just need to play this way when it matters. As of today, he has shown a propensity for good and even great play in he regular season and to go David Backes on us in the playoffs. No doubt he as the ability. The question is whether or not he can show up in the playoffs... Of course if they play him like this until then, he may collapse mid-game from exhaustion. They really should think about getting him a rest in the near future...

More importantly...

Why the fork is Robby Fabbri fighting? Why the fork is Tarasenko fighting a few weeks ago? WTF is wrong with this team that valuable goal scorers are running the risk of broken bones in fights? It isn't like we have a plethora of goal scorers and can afford to lose one for 6 weeks or so while a hand or facial bone heals... I think it shows just how lacking this team is in toughness and leadership.

And what happened to Hitchcock's revelation this past off-season that he needed to change a little too? What happened to opening up the offense a little and letting some of these playmakers make plays? I fear this style in the postseason is going to make it very hard to win game and ultimately series. We shall see.

last_stand
02/15/16 07:17 PM

On the goaltending issue, there are plenty of people claiming the job is Allens when he gets back. This is crazy talk but I don't trust Hitch to make the right call come April. And dad burn it that's one friggen thing he needs to get right this time. If he cools Elliott off at this point trying to get Allen right I'm gonna put 150 lbs on and go down there and sumo wrestle the forker down. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Play makers? We got play makers. We got over play makers. We need FINISHERS.

Other than Chicago and LA and Dallas, the rest of the west is having their troubles scoring as well. It's not an insurmountable problem, it's a matter of picking up 1/2 goal a game to close out and then maintain in the playoffs. If Tending stays solid, a guy like Schwartz lighting up and getting the rest of the team sparked up to score a few more goals here and there and getting Senko back on track is all we need.

Panthers and Lightening were like 15-2 on home ice since January one. I find it hard to complain about 2 wins and 7 goals down there.

IF PLAYED RIGHT BY HITCH, this team has one issue to work on that I can see. A big one, but just ONE.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/15/16 11:01 PM

The fact is......this is 4th best team in hockey right now, with THE #1 GOALIE in hockey right now.

Yep, they've got a few games up on a few teams, but worst case scenario is them at 6th or 7th in the league.....DESPITE an injury run to rival any team in the league.

Does this team have enough to make a cup run? I doubt it.....they don't really have another gear, or at least one that they've shown.

This is a really good hockey team. This is not a Stanley Cup team.....but goaltending has NOTHING to do with it.

We are just short on skill players.......seems hard to believe after all the draft picks, etc....but we are.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
02/16/16 02:28 AM

Free Jake Allen!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/17/16 02:48 AM

It's ridiculous to continue on like this.....we have to do something to get a #1 goalie.

griffin

dabsAdministrator
()
02/17/16 03:09 AM

Now playing the part of Jeky........or is it Hyde?

wuchangAdministrator
02/17/16 10:05 AM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/b...b2c2f14f25.html

sptsman
(member)
02/17/16 11:42 AM

Quote:

dabs said:

I will just cut & paste this over and over until you get it:

As of today, he has shown a propensity for good and even great play in he regular season and to go David Backes on us in the playoffs. No doubt he as the ability. The question is whether or not he can show up in the playoffs...

Besides, I don't think anyone sees the goaltending as the Blues #1 issue, going into the playoff...

sptsman
(member)
02/17/16 11:44 AM

Watched all of last nights game, including OT. To say it was no gem would be an understatement. For two of the top teams in the League, it was one ugly game...

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/17/16 05:25 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

dabs said:

As of today, he has shown a propensity for good and even great play in he regular season and to go David Backes on us in the playoffs. No doubt he as the ability. The question is whether or not he can show up in the playoffs...

Besides, I don't think anyone sees the goaltending as the Blues #1 issue, going into the playoff...

Nobody has ever given him the full reigns in the playoff with the current team.....its' never happened. But there is NO doubt he is the best goalie in hockey right now. To not let him have it would be a monumental mistake.

sptsman
(member)
02/17/16 07:21 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Nobody has ever given him the full reigns in the playoff with the current team.....its' never happened. But there is NO doubt he is the best goalie in hockey right now. To not let him have it would be a monumental mistake.

Dude, did you hit your head? Nobody has had the the full reigns, in the playoffs, with the current team because, well, it is the current team. But even you have to admit he has not stepped up when he had a chance in the playoffs. Blame it on injury, blame it on Backes, blame it on el Nino, blame it on whatever you want. The reality is that he played in the playoffs and did not do so well. Period.

As far as the upcoming playoffs, I don't give two flyin' forks who they play in the nets. As long as they hold their own... If Allen comes back and plays like he did when he got hurt, they will have a tough decision to make. You could make an argument either way... Right now it seems like Elliott would be the smart choice but you just never know how the rest of the season will go... And can you just ignore his past playoff flops?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/17/16 08:54 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Dude, did you hit your head? Nobody has had the the full reigns, in the playoffs, with the current team because, well, it is the current team. But even you have to admit he has not stepped up when he had a chance in the playoffs. Blame it on injury, blame it on Backes, blame it on el Nino, blame it on whatever you want. The reality is that he played in the playoffs and did not do so well. Period.

As far as the upcoming playoffs, I don't give two flyin' forks who they play in the nets. As long as they hold their own... If Allen comes back and plays like he did when he got hurt, they will have a tough decision to make. You could make an argument either way... Right now it seems like Elliott would be the smart choice but you just never know how the rest of the season will go... And can you just ignore his past playoff flops?

THERE!!! That's EXACTLY it!! You couldn't make this up. There is NO QUESTION who is the #1 goalie on this team right now......why in the holy fork would anyone even think to create a controversy.....it affects the goalie and it affects the team. You forkers learned NOTHING from your goalie savior 2 years ago......NOTHING!!!

You could be Hitchcock's assistant.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
02/18/16 12:02 AM

Fellas , Fellas , easy now..its only hockey for goodness sakes.

sptsman
(member)
02/18/16 01:12 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

dabs said:

THERE!!! That's EXACTLY it!! You couldn't make this up. There is NO QUESTION who is the #1 goalie on this team right now......why in the holy fork would anyone even think to create a controversy.....it affects the goalie and it affects the team. You forkers learned NOTHING from your goalie savior 2 years ago......NOTHING!!!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/18/16 04:06 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

dabs said:

That is not a question that matters ONE BIT in this season. he is the #1 (on the team and in the league right now).....he gets the nod in the playoffs....end of story.

Anything less is you forkers playing with yourselves again.

sptsman
(member)
02/18/16 05:38 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

dabs said:

That is not a question that matters ONE BIT in this season. he is the #1 (on the team and in the league right now).....he gets the nod in the playoffs....end of story.

Anything less is you forkers playing with yourselves again.

last_stand
02/18/16 09:34 PM

He is what he is. Right now, as griffin said, he is the clear number 1. No question. And Allens game was falling off prior to his injury anyway.

Now, whether Hitchcock knows this is another story, so "end of story" is how Hitch writes it. IMO, he forked it up last season and went with the rookie.....and I do not trust his judgement one bit this season either.

This team will win if it doesn't fork up what it has going for it and scores just a reasonable amount of goals. It's all about scoring goals.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/18/16 09:53 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
He is what he is. Right now, as griffin said, he is the clear number 1. No question. And Allens game was falling off prior to his injury anyway.

Now, whether Hitchcock knows this is another story, so "end of story" is how Hitch writes it. IMO, he forked it up last season and went with the rookie.....and I do not trust his judgement one bit this season either.

This team will win if it doesn't fork up what it has going for it and scores just a reasonable amount of goals. It's all about scoring goals.

Now wait a minute......you guys are always going on and on about how it's the GOALIE (and so defense) in the playoffs....and I agree. In the playoffs it's NOT necessarily about scoring goals......lots of one goal games there.

The fact is, this team doesn't score a lot. But they don't give up many goals either.....they are right near the top in league GAA. That's a good thing for a playoff run.

I agree about Hitchcock.....I think he's a great coach....but he could fork up a wet dream managing goalies. IF he doesn't fork this up, he's got something really good going with Elliott and how the team plays in front of him. BUT......like you, he scares me and I don't trust him not to throw a wrench in the deal.

On another note.....we need Ott back. This team is not chippy enough. SOMEBODY needs to make the other teams pay for hitting Tarasenko and Schwartz.

griffin

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
02/18/16 10:49 PM

You said chippy..

last_stand
02/18/16 10:49 PM

We have as good a D as is out there. Far better than last few years. We now have a goal tender playing rock solid. 2 parts of Hitchs system that's right on target.

Now we need scoring. That is, if you want to beat a Chicago or Dallas...We are like 22nd in the league at 2.4 or whatever. For one, it would help to SHOOT THE FORKIN PUCK more often but more than that these guys have to finish the forkin play and actually put the puck in the back of the net.

I'm not raggin on them. They are better than I ever expected this season. But dad gummit if they could close the deal and solidify the third leg of this triangle they really got something.

To the point on Ott, Bortuzzo has been somethin since Petro went down. The guys got an edge that's good for this team.

last_stand
02/18/16 10:53 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
You said chippy..

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........he did, didn't he?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/18/16 11:36 PM

I'm here at the game tonight....I'll report in for you knuckledraggers. So far I report that sptsman sucks.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/19/16 12:39 AM

This 1st period is likely one of the Blues best all season.

dabsAdministrator
()
02/19/16 12:46 AM

Do you get to scrub the floor between quarters?

wuchangAdministrator
02/19/16 01:52 AM

quarters????????

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/19/16 03:44 AM

Well.....I just don't know if Elliott can be the #1 in a high pressure, physical game.

Maybe we can trade for some has-been goalie to pull us through the play-offs.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
02/19/16 11:31 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Well.....I just don't know if Elliott can be the #1 in a high pressure, physical game.

Maybe we can trade for some has-been goalie to pull us through the play-offs.

griffin

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/19/16 03:09 PM

No, Andy.......his play right now is elevated to a level even he has never been at. He is in complete control of that goal crease and his positioning in unreal. There is NO question......none.

griffin

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
02/20/16 01:49 AM

NONE..I chit you not! NONE!!!

You hockey moms crack me up!

sptsman
(member)
02/22/16 01:08 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
No, Andy.......his play right now is elevated to a level even he has never been at. He is in complete control of that goal crease and his positioning in unreal. There is NO question......none.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
02/22/16 07:45 PM

Allen has been activated. Interesting to see if he gets the call tonight. Elliott could sure use a rest and his last outing was not his best.

Now we get to see if there will be a competition for the #1 spot of if Hitchcock feels Elliott has earned it. The dude has certainly been standing on his head lately.

Some say Elliott is the best in the whole league right now. I say...

And losing Steen is huuuuge!!! He is arguably one of the most important 2 or 3 players on this team. Some have more skill. Some hit more. Some play better D. But few are the complete package like him...

Are the Blues going to make a trade or stand pat?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
02/22/16 09:08 PM

Steen out a minimum of 4 weeks? Ouch! That sucks especially when the Note just got Schwartz back..

sptsman
(member)
02/23/16 11:57 AM

And maybe the Elliott talk is a moot point with his "lower body injury".

How long will Reaves' suspension be? I'm guessing 1-3 games.

HAUS
(member for now)
02/23/16 05:10 PM

so.. do you guys think the Rams will leave town??

wuchangAdministrator
02/23/16 07:13 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:

Just got the credit card statement telling me that all the fees for this dump have been paid

Comments like yours make it worth the money

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/23/16 07:48 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:

Oh, I think they will.....but I'm betting they wait until the baseball season has started to make an announcement.

griffin

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/23/16 07:51 PM

On another.....uh......note...losing Steen and Elliott at the same time for a month is a very bad development.

Any thought of the Blues catching Dallas or Chicago are gone now.....the road through the playoffs just went off into the woods.

griffin

last_stand
02/23/16 09:23 PM

It's beyond snake bit. This team is the FUBAR world champion of everything.

If they wanna win the Cup this year, they better get Houdini signed at the deadline. I'm gussin Hitch had a triple slurpy before bed last night.

DADAKOTA
(member)
02/24/16 01:02 PM

Injuries, Injuries, and more Injuries. Same story different year for the Blues. If I didn't know better I'd think you were talking about the Cardinals. Yearly occurrence with them too. Is it something in the water over there or are your players soft? On the positive side, you don't have to come up with a new excuse every year.

HAUS
(member for now)
02/24/16 07:47 PM

thanks Mr. Wu.

I've made a lot of financial and parenting decisions based solely off the information on this site....

dabsAdministrator
()
02/25/16 07:28 PM

Going on 24 hours without any posts here - surely someone has got hurt, there is additional news on "Ells", Hitch has forked something up, Sptsmn has something bold to say or Haus has finally crossed the Blue line.

wuchangAdministrator
02/25/16 08:19 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Going on 24 hours without any posts here - surely someone has got hurt, there is additional news on "Ells", Hitch has forked something up, Sptsmn has something bold to say or Haus has finally crossed the Blue line.

Finding Bigfoot is on Animal Planet right now--might be a reason

Just saying

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
02/25/16 08:24 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Just saying

For real? What channel is that on Charter?

HAUS
(member for now)
02/25/16 09:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1qsnwEi_w

wuchangAdministrator
02/26/16 01:10 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Just saying

For real? What channel is that on Charter?

Channel 58 here in Occupied Territory--
not sure what is it is in the Free lands

last_stand
02/29/16 12:20 PM

Trade dead line is 2 o'clock today.

Kings and Hawks have made their moves.

Blues have played better than I expected. They have never been healthy as a team all year.

Steen and Elliott come back in 3 weeks?

I don't see a saviour on the horizon. Here's to no trade before DA makes a bad trade.

Go Blue!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
02/29/16 11:40 PM

Should have tried to pick up Gretzky!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/02/16 02:00 AM

Allen just gave up his usual soft goal for the night..

dabsAdministrator
()
03/07/16 01:36 AM

So....I have watched the 2nd period of the Blues/Wild game tonight.

Allen is definately the choice at the net...."Ells" does look good on the bench though.

I am not sure why it has taken you guys 8 or 10 pages of back and forth on this subject? Seems pretty simple

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/07/16 02:47 AM

Quote:

dabs said:

Allen is definately the choice at the net...."Ells" does look good on the bench though.

I am not sure why it has taken you guys 8 or 10 pages of back and forth on this subject? Seems pretty simple

Elliot is not on the bench you bonehead.....he's on IR.

If you have a hard time understanding what that is then think about the place where your baseball team goes for 30 years at a time......it's kinda like that.

griffin

dabsAdministrator
()
03/07/16 03:34 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Elliot is not on the bench you bonehead.....he's on IR.

If you have a hard time understanding what that is then think about the place where your baseball team goes for 30 years at a time......it's kinda like that.

griffin

Well....he should be on the bench....Allen is your man

You would have looked good in Blue if the Redhead would have taken the KC job.

last_stand
03/07/16 12:27 PM

I'm issuing a directive for Sportsmn to teach you the game of hockey.

The 8-10 page thing will then make sense to you.

dabsAdministrator
()
03/07/16 03:49 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
I'm issuing a directive for Sportsmn to teach you the game of hockey.

The 8-10 page thing will then make sense to you.

Twitch...twitch...twitch...retrieve....twitch...twitch....retreive - I don't think I need any help on the hockey front

After all - we have a winning minor league hockey team 5 miles from my house I get to watch when the Reigning World Champion Royals aren't in season

DjF
(little buddie)
03/07/16 11:08 PM

isn't hockey like soccer on ice?

dabsAdministrator
()
03/07/16 11:29 PM

Quote:

DjF said:
isn't hockey like soccer on ice?

No....they use a disc instead of a ball and mallets instead of their feet.

last_stand
03/10/16 07:40 PM

Aside from a horrendous call by a very incompetent official that did indeed cost the Blues 1 BIG point, I think that was the best game of the year.

Being the Hawks 'n all helps.

dabsAdministrator
()
03/10/16 08:36 PM

I did watch the third, the overtime and the shootout. Like the 3 on 3....and there would have been 19,300 people throwing a complete fit if that non-goal would have been on the other side of the ice in overtime....sure the Blues fans were happy it was waved off as a no goal from the start....would have been hard to turn it over if it was the other way

last_stand
03/11/16 12:22 AM

Disagree........the call was 100% correct and STL fans are pretty knowledgable.

Now, the clip below will show clearly how we got rat forked and the Hawks got their first goal as a result of this atrocious MAJOR PENALTY call on a play that was 100% clean.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hock...ckhawks-ehrhoff

sptsman
(member)
03/15/16 11:00 AM

Nilsson was something last night, eh... Nice pickup...

Some guys start growing their playoff beards. Some guys start getting that laser focus for the playoffs. Backes gets ready by practicing his post game interviews after not showing up for the game. This is from last night... “Our focus in our play can be better,” Blues captain David Backes said. “This is on our shoulders. We beat four good teams last week, and these two points were just as valuable as any two in those games. We just didn’t bring it with 20 guys tonight. I’ll take blame for that.”

On the bright side, scoring is up a little. They seem to be playing at a high level against the better teams. On the negative side, they still seem to lack that killer instinct to put games away and to mop up weaker teams. They now lead the NHL in giving up 6 on 5 goals at the end of games. And how many sub-.500 teams have they lost to this year?

Still trying to decide if I can watch the first round of the playoffs...

DADAKOTA
(member)
03/15/16 11:10 AM

Calgary goal number 1 was a doozy

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/15/16 01:17 PM

It's pretty obvious that the scouting reports on Allen are to shoot high......and it works.

Elliott is now good to go, just waiting out the IR period. If he's not the playoff goalie I won't watch.

griffin

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/15/16 08:52 PM

I have more faith in the political process than Jake Allen.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/17/16 02:19 AM

Good lord.....Allen looks horrible the last 2 games.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/17/16 05:40 PM

Did someone tell the Blues the playoffs have started?

So back to back games with a save % of .765 and .808 are bad then? Ummm you'd have to think these last two games might decide who their #1 goalie is, doesn't it? Oh wait, this is the Blues..

wuchangAdministrator
03/18/16 10:55 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Did someone tell the Blues the playoffs have started?

So back to back games with a save % of .765 and .808 are bad then? Ummm you'd have to think these last two games might decide who their #1 goalie is, doesn't it? Oh wait, this is the Blues..

Now that is funny---don't care who you are

Kind of makes the age old question pop up

How many Blues does it take to lift a Stanley Cup?

Answer:
No one knows

or something like that and if the last 2 games are an indication of how they will play in the playoffs.....
we may never know

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/18/16 06:15 PM

Most folks are saying that spring is two to three weeks early this year. With spring comes allergies. The Blues are usually allergic to winning in the playoffs. Maybe their allergies just started early this year..

last_stand
03/19/16 09:30 PM

Looking for a team victory and the rightful goalie to get his job back tonite.

They call it a win-win I believe.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/21/16 02:10 PM

Blues were pretty dominating Saturday night. And Elliott looked like the goalie he was before the injury. Hopefully both of those trends can continue.

last_stand
03/21/16 04:55 PM

Canucks are a bad team, played the night before, and they have a ton of starters out.

Good team to turn around on but a better test will come Tuesday in SJ.

Elliott was rock solid, looked really good coming back.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/21/16 07:28 PM

Yep. I heard the Canucks dressed 7 rookies!

last_stand
03/21/16 10:17 PM

I do my best not to revel in others pain, but the fans in Vancouver deserve nothing more than what they have right now.

They are the most pompous, arrogant, over the top sports fans of any city I know.

On a side note, never been to Vancouver, but hope to some day. In spite of them.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/23/16 02:17 PM

Any lingering starting goalie questions?

last_stand
03/23/16 03:16 PM

I'll let you know once I hear it from the wise goalie guru's own lips.

Hitch still has 8 games to screw this up.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/23/16 04:57 PM

Like I said.....if the #3 goalie in the league doesn't start EVERY SINGLE playoff game I will not watch.....or care what the hell happens to them.

This is Brian Elliot's playoff run to win or lose.

sptsman
(member)
03/23/16 09:06 PM

Any questions?

last_stand
03/23/16 09:53 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

Any questions?

Yeah.

Who do you want in goal for round 1?

I know, it's a toughie.

DADAKOTA
(member)
03/24/16 02:57 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
They are the most pompous, arrogant, over the top sports fans of any city I know.

Even more so than Cardinal and Jayhawk fans?

H2ODOG
(the one who never tires)
03/24/16 03:37 AM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Even more so than "new money" Royals fans and Jayhawk fans?

Fixed it for ya.

last_stand
03/24/16 10:10 AM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Even more so than Cardinal and Jayhawk fans?

Just curious if in your unsettled mind that holds true for people who pretend to be Cardinal fans?

sptsman
(member)
03/24/16 11:23 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Any questions?

Yeah.

I know, it's a toughie.

Right now, I'd take Elliott. He seems to have the hot hand. But... As of today, he has shown a propensity for good and even great play in he regular season and to go David Backes on us in the playoffs. No doubt he as the ability. The question is whether or not he can show up in the playoffs...

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/24/16 12:44 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Any questions?

Yeah.

I know, it's a toughie.

Right now, I'd take Elliott. He seems to have the hot hand.

You mean by having the #1 GAA and #1 save percentage in the NHL? Wow....how did you ever arrive at that conclusion?

sptsman
(member)
03/24/16 03:50 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

You mean by having the #1 GAA and #1 save percentage in the NHL? Wow....how did you ever arrive at that conclusion?

The same way you did. Been watching the games and can read the stats. Its not that complicated. I'm just not ready to give him Roy or Hasek status until he actually shows up for the playoffs and wins something. If he does that, I'm his biggest fan. It sure seems like this is his time doesn't it? But then again, we've seen his great regular season play before.

All of this regular season hype means NOTHING!! The only thing that matters is what they do in the playoffs. And it is rare that an NHL team succeeds in the playoffs without at least above average netminding. And the Blues play a very conservative / defensive minded game that does not work well with goalies giving up ANY soft goals. We are pretty sure Backes and a few others are not going to come up big, if they show up at all. So goaltending, for better or worse, is paramount for the Blues come playoff time.

H2ODOG
03/24/16 04:04 PM

In honor of the Blues typical playoff run..........this is what those hands will be hoisting over their heads.

last_stand
03/24/16 04:29 PM

Goal tending is paramount for any play off team. Even when guys like Crawford or Niemi won, they managed to have solid work during the playoffs.

As for samo samo Blues routine, it's an easy and safe position to take so you can keep cut and pasting to your hearts content. But you're missing what's really happening.

Rookies Fabbri, Edmunson and Parayko all appear unaware of your "no show" concerns for the upcoming playoffs. Upshall and Brodziak are 4th line upgrades and then of course the whiner is gone and a guy who actually wants to play has taken his spot more than quite nicely.

This team has its first 3 lines set, and they are all clicking. You can rake all you want on Backes, there's still no Blue on the ice who beats his effort each and every night.

And just so you are for sure aware, Elliott is playing elite level goal tending, his best of his career but equal to anyone in the league right now as well.

And these are the guys who did not make the big move over the summer OR the deadline. This is the team most wrote off because we did not get the marquee guys like every one said we had to.

We'll see what happens. No predictions but what I am seeing is a LOT of movement towards play off preparation. We are going to face a tough opponent no doubt, I'm just saying this team is very different from teams of the recent past.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/24/16 10:35 PM

Andy - I have been an Elliot fan for a long time, as you know.

The fact is, he has NEVER played like he is playing this year. His positioning is pretty amazing right now.....he has to make very few "acrobatic" saves because he's already where he needs to be. In his last 24 games he is at 1.80 GAA. That's not only elite within the league, that's elite level when looking at all time.

We're all snake bit with the Blues......but this team is really coming along at the right time....and between Elliot and Allen they absolutely have the best goaltending in the league.

Look for my prediction for their cup run sometime in August.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/25/16 04:14 PM

I'm sorry but too many years of April failures for me to get excited about the Blues. I've seen this story before (and recently) and it has always ended poorly. I hope I'm wrong but Id bet I'm not. I'll be shocked if this team makes it through two rounds.

last_stand
03/26/16 11:15 AM

Ah Yes, the April collapse. Around here, about as sure a thing as Easter.

But I switched up at the trade deadline and went all in. This teams deserves it and what the hell, it's a lot more fun this way.

If the Blues win round 1, they will make it to the SC final.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/26/16 03:20 PM

I agree this team deserves it and I'm all in as well. BUT....if Hitchcock starts being an idiot with the goalies I'm out.

Elliot now with 1.6 GAA in last 20 games.

griffin

last_stand
03/26/16 07:55 PM

He has at least made the right call with this back to back.

But I'll bet $5 to a donut he will try to fork up the goalie deal at some point.

And another thing, right now ALL the lines are totally set. A blind man can see this. Steen for Jaskin or paarjvi when he comes back. Unless there's a breakdown, no tinkering needed other than maybe 3rd guy on the 4th line.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/27/16 12:37 AM

Truly, if they blow up this year it will be the biggest letdown in the Blue's history....and lord knows there have been some epic meltdowns in the playoffs.

Only the 4th time since 1950 a team has had 4 shutouts in a row.....they dominated the best team in hockey tonight with the same hard work they have showed the last month.

I agree LS......the top 3 lines are set....when the hell was the last time that happened going into the playoffs? Not to mention the best goalie in the league with a backup that would be the #1 for 80% of the NHL.

GO BLUE!!!!

griffin

last_stand
03/27/16 03:37 PM

Sounds all in to me.

And since we are, let me say a thing or two to the "samo" crowd.

First, rookie Parayko. In October, I said he reminded me of Pronger. And he does, in certain aspects. He's not mean like Pronger was, but he is as BIG, uses his body well, and pretty much effectively glides/protects the puck in the same fashion.

On offense, he is not so Pronger like. He is faster. He has softer hands and he has a better shot.

NO, I am not saying he's a HOF'er, not saying he's better than Pronger. But at 22 years, this kid has at least a chance to be very special. And he's cool as a cucumber.

Then there's rookie Edmunson. Tenacious, big, skilled body that loves to get in the dirty spots. Has proven himself over and over to be trusted and good enough to move up to the 4 spot. The kid really showed something last night when he took on the almighty himself in the Blues crease. That was pretty cool.

These two guys (along with Bortuzzo imo) have put an edge on this defense that this team could only dream about last year. They are young, inexperienced and probably going to learn a thing or two this April, but they don't know about any Blues spell or jinx or curse.

IMO, one thing Hitch can do is switch up the pairings. Jbo and Petro need to split up. Let each of them have one of these rookies to dish out some pain. They are ready for this kind of role.

Who ever they draw round 1 is going to be a tough match up. I am not predicting anything other than my belief that this team won't be folding for anybody. Those days are gone.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/27/16 03:43 PM

Their biggest weakness is the coach.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/27/16 05:39 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:

Not even close to being true. This Blues team has bought into his system....and it's a good one. This team, minus one of the worst "games missed because of injury" in the league, would easily be running away with the presidents trophy. Despite the injuries, I think they'll end up ahead of the Stars and as conference champions. You don't do that with a coach who doesn't know the game.

I don't like the way he handles the goalies, but Elliott's play has pretty much taken that card away from him.

The Stanley Cup is very hard to win (possibly the most grueling in all of sports)....without question, this team has the tools to make a run.

fastman
(member)
03/27/16 05:51 PM

the gayhawks!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome game last night

Good 2 c Backes set up that 1st goal

Paraynco #7 in the league +/-.

Berlund skating well too

HappyEaster Bunnies

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/27/16 06:44 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Not even close to being true. This Blues team has bought into his system....and it's a good one. This team, minus one of the worst "games missed because of injury" in the league, would easily be running away with the presidents trophy. Despite the injuries, I think they'll end up ahead of the Stars and as conference champions. You don't do that with a coach who doesn't know the game.

I don't like the way he handles the goalies, but Elliott's play has pretty much taken that card away from him.

The Stanley Cup is very hard to win (possibly the most grueling in all of sports)....without question, this team has the tools to make a run.

Whats not true? Yep he is a great regular season coach - if that's what you want. I thought we were talking Stanley Cup? Take away two seasons in Dallas 17 & 18 years ago and his teams playoff records sucks. In the last 5 playoff seasons his teams playoff record is 10 and 21 including a season that they had the most points in the NHL. He has had different players, different goalies, etc. and the results have been the same.
I really hope this is the year they at least get to Lord Stanley's Cup - but I am not getting my hopes up.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/27/16 08:40 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Whats not true? Yep he is a great regular season coach - if that's what you want. I thought we were talking Stanley Cup? Take away two seasons in Dallas 17 & 18 years ago and his teams playoff records sucks. In the last 5 playoff seasons his teams playoff record is 10 and 21 including a season that they had the most points in the NHL. He has had different players, different goalies, etc. and the results have been the same.
I really hope this is the year they at least get to Lord Stanley's Cup - but I am not getting my hopes up.

Dude - google how many coaches there have been in the NHL.....then google how many of them have ever won a Stanley Cup. Hitchcock's stellar resume doesn't need any endorsement from some hack fans, he's earned it.

Like I said, this is the hardest trophy to win in all of sports. I'd like to see it here, but if the Blues get through a couple of rounds I'll enjoy the extra games and call the season a success.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
03/28/16 03:41 PM

So success in hockey is measured by the results in the regular season and not the playoffs? Interesting take but not the way I look at it. I'm surprised Griffin that you be satisfied with mediocrity. Set your expectations low and you'll continue to achieve them. I though am losing hope that I'll see the Blues Captain hoist the Cup in my lifetime..

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/28/16 04:13 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
So success in hockey is measured by the results in the regular season and not the playoffs? Interesting take but not the way I look at it. I'm surprised Griffin that you be satisfied with mediocrity. Set your expectations low and you'll continue to achieve them. I though am losing hope that I'll see the Blues Captain hoist the Cup in my lifetime..

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hitchcock has won more championships in hockey, at every level, then 95% of hockey coaches......including a Cup. Just stop with the silliness.

As for mediocrity......dude, the Blues have had many seasons when they were anything but mediocre. If the Capitals don't win the cup this year are you willing to call them a mediocre team? I guess you might in your delusional state.

GO BLUE!!!

last_stand
03/28/16 04:33 PM

To be fair to Hitchcock, 2 of the last 4 years in the playoffs the Blues lost to the eventual SC Champions, the LA Kings and the Chicago Blackhawks. Not exactly good draws there.

They won one other series and then last seasons exit was a huge screw up, that is true.

There are a ton of 90 point plus teams with GOOD coaches. But to get to the top, just few of those teams will have what it takes to go deep and win the really big games needed along the way. Hitch has done that as a coach and there's no sense trying to minimize it, because it could well be a factor to winning the Cup.

Lastly, I do think Hitch has adjusted his coaching style a bit as of late. Not so much X and O's but other things. My guess is this is likely going to be his last year no matter what might happen.

In the end, Championship teams are made by championship players. A GOOD coach can take the right talent a long way. While I am the last guy to agree with Hitch on maybe even a lot of things, he's definitely good enough for this team to win. Ironically, as I see it, after all this time under Hitch, a good part of that with this group is for him to keep it macro and simple and now just let them play.

sptsman
(member)
03/28/16 08:55 PM

This team has all the talent they need to win the Cup. It now just comes down to showing up and wanting it more than the teams they face in the playoffs. They have proven they can play with and beat them.

All of the analysis is just blah, blah, blah, blah... Doug Armstrong has put together a formidable team and barring injury they are not missing any critical pieces (assuming Steen is coming back soon). Ken Hitchcock has put a system in place that is proven to work when executed. All we need now is the boyz to show up and play like every game, every period, every shift, every stride is critical. Any lapses in effort or execution will be their undoing. It's really that simple...

The only thing I would like to see down the stretch is a few healthy scratches for guys like Backes and few others. Unless the points are critical, some rest for a few of the workhorses might not be a bad idea. Of course you can argue it could take them out of this groove their in but I'd be willing to risk that they remember how to play after sitting a game or two.

Go Blue!!

last_stand
03/28/16 09:03 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

All of the analysis is just blah, blah, blah, blah...

Well, some of it for sure.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
03/28/16 11:46 PM

Back to you , Boomer...

H2ODOG
03/29/16 02:39 AM

If you want to look at a disappointing season go back to 1999-2000. That's a season they wish they had back. 13-14 and 14-15 seasons ended poorly, to say the least.

I don't think Hitch is the issue. 2 Stanley Cup finals. One Cup on the resume. 2 more conference finals.

Blues have had some great coaches they couldn't get it done with...Scotty Bowman and Coach Q. Hitch, can get it done, just a matter of the players coming together. Now if Dabs would just weigh in so we can all sleep better at night.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
03/30/16 03:43 AM

Solid win tonight against a team who HAD to win.

The Blues, right now, are the best team in hockey in every facet of the game.

We'll see if it holds up into the playoffs.

griffin

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/01/16 01:41 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I believe that is called qualifying a statement - otherwise known as you having the same doubts as the majority of Blues fans..

I honestly hope that they win the whole dayum thing and then I'll be the first to admit I was way off on Hitchcock. I'll be celebrating like a mofo. I've been a fan since the beginning as well and dreaming of the day.

However if they go out early again will you admit it could be the coach or will there be more blaming the players?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/01/16 02:35 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I believe that is called qualifying a statement - otherwise known as you having the same doubts as the majority of Blues fans..

I honestly hope that they win the whole dayum thing and then I'll be the first to admit I was way off on Hitchcock. I'll be celebrating like a mofo. I've been a fan since the beginning as well and dreaming of the day.

However if they go out early again will you admit it could be the coach or will there be more blaming the players?

When a team compiles 100+ points in a season and gets bounced in the first couple rounds its ALWAYS going to be on the players....every damn time. Its forking hockey, not football. Its a system, not play calling. If its good enough for 100+ points its good enough for a deep playoff run. Period.

last_stand
04/01/16 10:15 AM

Hitch is on a one year contract.

Pretty sure he is gone in any round one loss circumstance.

Guessing he'd have it no other way himself.

Good luck to the next coach in reaching 100+, making 5 straight PO appearances.

BTW, who is that guy?

sptsman
(member)
04/01/16 12:17 PM

My guess is all but about 5 or 6 teams in the league would love to have Hitchcock as their Head Coach. He's not the issue. He's not perfect but no coach is. If they lose early in the playoffs, I'd put less than 10% of the blame on him this time around...

Let's hope this Fabbri injury is just a minor setback, as it's being reported. That would sting if it is more than a game or two. He's been a very important part of this offense coming around.

5 games left. Blues should finish 1st or 2nd in the Division and conference. I get a headache trying to figure out what that means, in terms of who they will likely play or not play in the first round. I guess it really doesn't matter. They just need to play their best and win. Whoever gets Chicago will get a break. Looks like they'll be without Crawford and probably Duncan Keith for at least round 1. Then again, this is the NHL. Wouldn't surprise me if they give Keith 5 games and pretend like it never happened. If that forker gets less than 15-20 games, it will just solidify the opinion of many that they are a garage league.

Go Blue!!

last_stand
04/01/16 10:00 PM

If ya find yourself like I did today in a doctors waiting room burning some time......be sure to pull out your phone and re read this Blues thread.

It might be inside stuff, but there's some hilarious chit in here.

And btw, thank you in particular sportsmn.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/01/16 10:38 PM

Sometimes I think you 3 jabronies think waayyyy too much , or maybe think you know too much about something you have no control over. Life is easier if you just let it happen , unless you are a braves fan...

last_stand
04/02/16 11:16 AM

3?

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sptsman
(member)
04/02/16 11:58 AM

Elliott did not look so good last night. Better go with Allen for the playoffs. Just sayin'...

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/02/16 08:07 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
3?

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yes 3! You, your brother, Sportsman and your sensei, griffin.

last_stand
04/03/16 10:49 AM

My sensei of the matter is you are full of chit!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/04/16 02:04 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Sometimes I think you 3 jabronies think waayyyy too much , or maybe think you know too much about something you have no control over. Life is easier if you just let it happen , unless you are a braves fan...

Damn left out again!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/04/16 02:05 AM

Allen is hurt again. Should make Hitch's choice easier.. Just saying..

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/04/16 11:07 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

Bubba said:

Damn left out again!

Ok ,4 Jabronies! Happy now?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/05/16 01:25 PM

Thanks - now I belong to a clique! It feels awesome!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/08/16 02:12 AM

If the Blues just had a #1 goalie.

griffin

last_stand
04/08/16 10:23 AM

He was the deciding factor, no doubt. Kane was stunned when his OT breakaway was denied.

Glad they sat Fabbri one more game but can't wait to get him and the lines in order. They beat them without playing their best.

sptsman
(member)
04/08/16 12:44 PM

Assuming Backes has a hangnail or bruised hair. Hopefully their taking my advice and faking an injury to get him some rest.

Last night's game was pretty nerve racking. I was in Chicago and was offered 2 tickets to the game. But I was out in Aurora and really didn't want to fight traffic or ride the train down there. It also would have cost me just about all of my sleep last night. In my younger days, there would have been no hesitation. These days, the HD TV and a comfy place to watch is almost as good (not quite as good but almost). And sitting in a sea of Hawks fans is about as unbearable as it gets.

Hopefully they get healthy, especially Allen. They're going to need him when Elliot gets hurt or does his annual playoff choke...

Seriously, it has been a loooong time since we've had a goalie playing this well, this consistently. Nice to see. I am praying it holds up!!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/08/16 05:34 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
They're going to need him when Elliot gets hurt or does his annual playoff choke...

Uh.....except for the fact that 2 years ago they brought your savior in to stink up the playoffs and last year Allen fell on his face.....in 2013 Elliott played all 6 games of the first round loss and had a 1.90 GAA....so you blame him for that series?? Hey...... no need to let the facts get in the way.

Elliott has been the best goalie on this team for a very long time......nice to see him getting the credit he deserves.

griffin

HAUS
(member for now)
04/08/16 07:28 PM

don't want to derail this momentum y'all got going, but one of the funniest things I've ever read in my entire life, was that ongoing thread on some arkie board where them boys was trying to watch the hockey playoffs.. Do y'all remember that?

God bless them boys. I loved every word of it.

last_stand
04/08/16 10:22 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Assuming Backes has a hangnail or bruised hair. Hopefully their taking my advice and faking an injury to get him some rest.

Can't help yourself can you? You look the fool cutting this guy down every chance you get.

Faking injury? That's almost as funny as the Blues taking your advice.

He needs rest and recovery because he puts his body on the line 82 games a year, year in year out. He CONSTANTLY plays against opposing top lines and he runs one of the leagues best PK units.

Some day you might figure it out. Maybe.

last_stand
04/10/16 11:04 AM

A real stinker to finish the season and miss a potential opportunity. Being a Blues fan has its own special, unique rewards.

I was top row last night. Somehow managed to have a good time. There are some good fans way up there.

last_stand
04/10/16 11:06 AM

Fork Rory and Spieth. I'm pullin for the 58 year old blockhead.

That would be sumpthin.

fastman
(member)
04/10/16 11:27 AM

Langers got a better chance of jackinoff a mountain lion with a handful of corkburrs than winnin 2day

H2ODOG
04/11/16 02:18 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Fork Rory and Spieth. I'm pullin for the 58 year old blockhead.

That would be sumpthin.

Wrong thread. Keep talking about golf crap on a hockey tntead and I'll have Grief ban you for a week

H2ODOG
04/11/16 02:19 AM

Quote:

fastman said:
Langers got a better chance of jackinoff a mountain lion with a handful of corkburrs than winnin 2day

Dat go 4 u 2

H2ODOG
04/11/16 02:25 AM

https://www.nhl.com/news/why-blues-will-win-stanley-cup/c-280244478

last_stand
04/12/16 11:16 AM

I've got mixed feelings on this thing with Ott. As is the 4th line call with Hitch is already going to be interesting.

If Ott were a 25th player that could pinch hit and ease his way back in that would be one thing but throwing him out there in a playoff game after sitting since October? And busting up a good 4th line to do it? I dunno.

I guess I'd go with him to change up some bad mojo. But if no bad mojo, no Ott for me. Not for the sake of it anyway.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/pr...a40f64818b.html

sptsman
(member)
04/12/16 02:10 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Can't help yourself can you? You look the fool cutting this guy down every chance you get.

He needs rest and recovery because he puts his body on the line 82 games a year, year in year out. He CONSTANTLY plays against opposing top lines and he runs one of the leagues best PK units.

How, pray tell, did you get what I wrote as "taking a shot" at Backes? Perhaps you should step out of your Backes shrine and blow out the Backes scented candles. They're making your brain think crooked...

I have always said that Backes is very good player. He is an asset to the team. But anyone that doesn't have Backes posters lining their bedroom walls can see he is not the 25 year-old Backes and has a lot of very hard miles on him. Figuring out way to get him some rest was very important to his chances of success in the playoffs and more importantly to the Blues run at the Cup. Not sure if you paid attention the last few years or not but an exhausted Backes wasn't much help in the playoffs. Getting a rested Bzckes may be what is needed.

And please spare me the Blues and Backes are too honest and wholesome to be less than forthright regarding an injury. They all want a Cup and know it is possible this year. I would think a lot less of them for not doing something like this than having him play, wear him out and get knocked out by Chicago in round 1.

Ott should not even be in the building unless there is an injury and he is needed to fill the void.

Go Blues!!

last_stand
04/12/16 07:14 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

But anyone that doesn't have Backes posters lining their bedroom walls can see he is not the 25 year-old Backes and has a lot of very hard miles on him.

No he is not 25 any longer.

But if you were paying attention, which of course you were not, he has played BETTER this year than he did at 25. Far better, in fact. Doesn't quite fit your narrative though does it?

And spare me the "I like Backes" thing. You knock him every chance you get.

last_stand
04/12/16 07:20 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

And please spare me the Blues and Backes are too honest and wholesome to be less than forthright regarding an injury. They all want a Cup and know it is possible this year. I would think a lot less of them for not doing something like this than having him play, wear him out and get knocked out by Chicago in round 1.

I never said that.

My point that went right over your head was that he WAS actually injured.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/12/16 10:42 PM

When is the season over? Asking for a friend.

H2ODOG
04/13/16 12:41 AM

Tell Dabs once the Cup gets raised.

last_stand
04/13/16 10:28 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
When is the season over? Asking for a friend.

Is this your friend who wears that big watch but always walks around asking what time it is?

last_stand
04/13/16 10:32 AM

8:30

Blues vs Hawks

Game 1

For all you whiners and doubters, it's gonna be Blues in six.

Somehow.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sptsman
(member)
04/13/16 02:58 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

I never said that.

My point that went right over your head was that he WAS actually injured.

And I have both swampland and bridges for you to buy. Which would you like to see first?

Time to take off the little boy pants and put on the big boy pants. Sometimes, even the people you really admire lie a little... The Blues and Backes either completely faked an injury or grossly exaggerated a very minor one (hence the hangnail comment that got your panties in a wad earlier). Are you that naive to think his recovery just happened to coincide with the end of the season and he is good to go for the playoffs? It was a very smart move by the Blues and it probably took some convincing to get Backes to go along with it.

Go re-read all of my previous posts. In addition to making you smarter by simply reading them, you will see that I am a Backes fan. My only criticisms have been that I don't think he is a great Captain and that he has been a huge disappointment in the playoffs. You can argue the Captain thing and I would respect your difference of opinion but you will not have much luck taking a position that defends his playoff history, especially the last 3 years.

I fully expect Backes to be a major factor in the Hawks series. I am also holding out hope he has matured into a better Captain and playoff factor. Nobody wants to see it more than me. But I am a Missourian and he will have to show-me... Unlike you, I have to see results. I'm not as impressed with is dog and cat rescues and his rugged, good looks. It's all about results...

Go Backes!!

Go Blues!!!

last_stand
04/13/16 04:19 PM

He plays hurt all the time. He'd be the last guy to not be on the ice for game one even if not fully healed. See there?

Good grief.

And btw, there isn't enough aspirin in the universe to allow me to reread your posts.

And I'm still waiting on the predictions from all the doubters, including you.

Or........is it just too confusing?

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/13/16 07:08 PM

Well I'm going in to the playoffs with high hopes and low expectations. Seasons of playoff futility will do that a fan. So am I a whiner or a doubter?

wuchangAdministrator
04/13/16 08:01 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Well I'm going in to the playoffs with high hopes and low expectations. Seasons of playoff futility will do that a fan. So am I a whiner or a doubter?

Blues Fan will do for now

It kind of encompasses all of it

last_stand
04/13/16 08:06 PM

Ummmmmmm.........ok. So Blackhawks in how many games?

C'mon, you're halfway there.

Oh, and doubter it is.

Me, I'm high on crack.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaa

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/14/16 03:38 AM

Dammit!! I wish the Blues would have tried to pick up a "playoff goalie" at the trade deadline.

Backes looks no better than 80%.

Fabri looks like he's 120% so that's a wash.

Berglund looked like the old Berglund.......not good....he better not disappear....or dump him, move a winger up, and get Ott out there.

I'll take it....for now.

GO BLUE!!!!

last_stand
04/14/16 11:24 AM

Ells was a wall.

Blues without much transition. Too slow and errant with the puck in their own end to get down ice in time.

Schwartz hasn't been right for weeks. He had the 2 best opportunities and never got a thing on net. He needs to get right.

18 shots ain't gonna cut it. It's fixable, so fix it.

sptsman
(member)
04/14/16 12:08 PM

Elliott was strong. A good sign. Let's hope it continues and he stays healthy...

How the fork does Elliott not get the #1 star. As if it matters. But if you're going to have it and give it out, make it legit... Anybody that thinks Elliott was not the most valuable player out there wasn't watching the game...

Officiating was the usual joke. Not much can be said about it that hasn't been covered.

Lots of good hitting and finishing checks but like ls said, they need to work for more quality scoring chances. Too many passes in the offensive zone at times. A few more SOG's and swarming the net plays. And it isn't going to get any easier with Keith coming back for the next game... As much as he is a douche, he is a damn good player...

And give the Hawks credit, they smothered the Blues coming into the zone and got several good chances off of their transition game. They are also smothering Tarasenko. A pretty good strategy...

Fully agree with griffin regarding Berglund. He's the exception for Ott. I don't care what they're paying him, if he can't be any more effective then he is, play someone else, anyone else. How a guy can make it to the NHL, have his size, his God-given talent and be that invisible, is beyond me. And as soon as you say that, he has one of his rare good games. Maybe it will be the next game. Is it wrong to hope for a minor injury to him that causes him to miss the rest of the playoffs?

No predictions from me. Just going to enjoy the ride. No reason the Blues can't win this series. It is just a matter of execution and will to win...

Go Berglund!!

Go Blues!!!

Correction: One prediction. Berglund is the #1 star of the Friday night game...

last_stand
04/14/16 03:23 PM

Love winning with the 40 - 50 hits but it by itself is NOT a winning strategy against the Hawks.

I think Hitch wanted that for game 1 but I expect to see a different game 2 with him trolling on the "70 hit" comment.

Reading the Chicago board this morning I can tell you they think with Keith coming back they have this series in the bag.

Elliott 1 star, 2 star to Fabbri. Kids a player.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/15/16 01:09 AM

Yay Ells!!

sptsman
(member)
04/15/16 12:14 PM

Got the call last night. Going to be sitting in the Nike seats at Scottrade tonight. Sweet!!

I suspect we'll see more than 1 goal tonight. How about 4-2 Blues...

Even after all of the hitting last game, the sorest player on either team has to be Scottie Upshall. He went into the boards about as hard as you can without being carted off. I'm guessing his whole right side feels like he got hit by a truck.

Go Blues!!

last_stand
04/15/16 12:27 PM

Is that a prediction?

Careful now.........bwaaaaaaaaaa

Hawks will want this one really bad. Needs Ells hot and put more pucks ON NET please!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/16/16 02:29 AM

This is exactly the reason this forking garage league can't attract more fans. MOTHERFORKER!!!!

last_stand
04/16/16 10:37 AM

There was a referee with their big fat paws involved in 3 goals, each one marginal at best, each one going the Hawks way. How the fork is that?

And then of course, the "embellishment" call against Fabbri.

They are clowns or crooks. Take your pick. But they stole this game.

last_stand
04/17/16 02:36 AM

If the Blues ever pulled one out they can use one Sunday.

I'll be cheering for 'em.

sptsman
(member)
04/18/16 01:10 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
If the Blues ever pulled one out they can use one Sunday.

I'll be cheering for 'em.

It was your cheering, no doubt. Keep it up,

If you think the Blues have been on the short end of some calls, take a look at the screwin' Nashville got on Dallas' first goal today. It had about nine reasons it shouldn't have counted, including the ref's initial call of no goal. I swear there are a bunch of drunken guys, using a ouiji board in the NHL replay room. With all of the technology and brainpower they have, they're still no better than 50/50 on the video replays...

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/18/16 01:58 AM

I just wish we had a playoff goalie.

sptsman
(member)
04/18/16 05:36 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

Elliott is playing fine this year. Not sure why you would want someone else

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/18/16 06:08 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

HE HAS BEEN FINE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS NEVER A GOALIE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dabsAdministrator
()
04/18/16 06:24 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

Any questions?

sptsman
(member)
04/19/16 11:41 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

HE HAS BEEN FINE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS NEVER A GOALIE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the exclamation marks you can muster will not rewrite history. He has either been hurt, benched or had some stinker games (along wit some good games) in previous playoffs. He has never played this well, this consistently. Do you honestly think Armstrong and Hitchcock would have gone looking for a playoff goalie (Miller) had Elliott been "fine"? They saw what everyone else saw. That is a good netminder that couldn't put it all together for the playoffs. Pretend otherwise all you want and put all the exclamation marks you want. The reality is Elliott has been suspect as a playoff goalie for the past 4 years (one of those with Ottawa where he went 1-2 with a .855 save %).

How about we just be glad he's figured it out and is playing so well? No need to pretend he was just a misunderstood Patrick Roy, waiting to be noticed by everyone but you...

Go Elliott!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Blues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last_stand
04/20/16 06:43 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

All the exclamation marks you can muster will not rewrite history. He has either been hurt, benched or had some stinker games (along wit some good games) in previous playoffs. He has never played this well, this consistently. Do you honestly think Armstrong and Hitchcock would have gone looking for a playoff goalie (Miller) had Elliott been "fine"? They saw what everyone else saw. That is a good netminder that couldn't put it all together for the playoffs. Pretend otherwise all you want and put all the exclamation marks you want. The reality is Elliott has been suspect as a playoff goalie for the past 4 years (one of those with Ottawa where he went 1-2 with a .855 save %).

How about we just be glad he's figured it out and is playing so well? No need to pretend he was just a misunderstood Patrick Roy, waiting to be noticed by everyone but you...

Go Elliott!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Blues have mismanaged Elliott far more than has Elliott been "suspect" as a playoff goalie.

I'm the first to say he has been on and off over his time with us. Some due to injury, some his mechanics, some his head. Most all of it doing himself no favors.

But he played more than well enough for the series with the Sharks in '11, he played dam well for the series against the Kings in '12.

He had a bad series against the Kings in '11.

That is his playoff track record as a Blue. BUT Army and Hitch screwed up big time with pushing him off for Miller and then again last year going gaga over the rookie Allen and once again ignoring Elliott by never giving him a true shot to be number 1 during the moth of March.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever Brian Elliott has been awarded (by choice) the number 1 playoff role as our goal tender. And I insist that decision was taken out of their hands with Allen going down in March.

The Blues have forked this position up for as long as I can remember. We are lucky Elliott didn't tell this franchise to fork off a number of times.

We are 4 games into a potential marathon. Right now, so far, Elliott is the man. Hands down. And damm near no thanks to either Hitch or Army.

last_stand
04/20/16 07:28 PM

Had to listen to the Chicago feed through Sirus on the radio the last two games, surely the best of the year for the good guys. The announcers were total clowns, and none too happy. bwaaaaaaaaaa

Hawks have been down 3-1 many times only to come back and make a go of it, winning some too.

Here's to a home ice win Thursday. Get 'er done boys!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/20/16 08:14 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

Go Elliott!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You bonehead.....this is the same Brian Elliott the Blues have always had. The team in front of him is much better, but he's the same guy.

LS is a Johnny-come-lately to Elliott' side, but read his post.....he got it right.

I hate to say it, but I cheered when Allen went down and took the playoff goalie picture out of the hands of Armstrong and Hitchcock.....BECAUSE THEY GOT IT WRONG EVERY YEAR.

When can agree on the "go Blues" sentiment......but you have been forked up about the goaltending situation in the last 5 years from the get go and you still are......even in the face of overwhelming evidence against you.

griffin

DADAKOTA
(member)
04/21/16 03:41 AM

How many former Blues goalies are in the playoffs?

sptsman
(member)
04/21/16 11:28 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
....even in the face of overwhelming evidence against you.

griffin

Holy chit!!! The one thing you have against your silly, revisionist position is the evidence and the facts!!! You're opinion is your opinion and obviously you and ls value it greatly. Fine. But you ignore the FACTS!!!! He may have been mismanaged, mistreated, misunderstood, misplaced or whatever. But prior to this year he was a good regular season goalie with some injuries and bad games in the limited playoff experience he had. Those are the FACTS (i.e. evidence)!!! If you built a top tier team that you thought could get to the finals and all you had was a goalie that had shown what Elliott had shown, you would be a piss poor GM, if you didn't try to solidify that position. And that's what they did with the Miller deal. While we're all brilliant know-it-all's a year or two or three later, GM's only have the facts in front of them to work with. They don't get the benefit of hindsight and second guessing like you provide. The Miller deal was clearly a bust and odds are very good Elliott would have provided a better performance. But that's hindsight. At the time, the facts and evidence supported DA's move and most sensible fans understood it.

I'm an on Elliott's bandwagon now because he's a good dude and has worked his arse off to be one of the the best goalies in the NHL. He has tweaked his game and it shows in his performances. If you claim he is the same goalie now that he was in past years, you're simply full of chit and just like to stir the pot (which is completely unacceptable on this forum).

Now, STFU and pay attention. I'll be giving analysis and you and ls can learn a lot from from it.

BTW, Backes appears to have figured it out as well. I suppose you're going to tell me he's always been this good in the last three years of playoffs too...

Go Elliott!!!!!

Go Backes!!!!!!!

Go Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/21/16 01:53 PM

Andy......here are the facts regarding the last 3 seasons of early exits as they apply to Elliott.....

2 years ago they brought your savior in to stink up the playoffs and last year Allen fell on his face.....in 2013 Elliott played all 6 games of the first round loss and had a 1.90 GAA....so you blame him for that series?? Hey...... no need to let the facts get in the way.

The Blues, as an organization have mismanaged goalies for the last 5-7 years.

Dadakota......I don't know the total....but I know letting Bishop go was one of the all-time Blues goalie screw ups. But hey, we had Jake Allen so we didn't need him. Funny how the one goalie that has withstood the test of time in the all the coming and going of goalies is Elliott.....even though "Hitchcock and Armstrong went looking for a playoff goalie". BTW - the signing of the washed up Miller ranks just behind the letting go of Bishop......and he was touted as the guy who was finally going to bring the cup to St. Louis by the likes of Sptsman and LS.

last_stand
04/21/16 02:29 PM

The Miller deal was a double bad move one for passing up your own guy and two for selecting Miller as the player to bring on board. Sprtsman if you tell griffin he was right on this he might finally stfu about it.

But you can not have a deal that bad go by and then say gee, not the gm's fault. It was a bad deal THEN as much as now and Armstrong owns it.

Then last year was again the wrong decision made. Maybe Hitch's, but wrong nonetheless. They put a ROOKIE in the play offs in front of Elliott.

Elliott has never played better than he is right now, no doubt about that. But when you look at the 2 preceding years and how they turned out, hindsight or not it is clear how badly handled this position was by management choice.

We are not out of the woods by any means on being past any of this. No hindsight here, I'll say it up front for you, this duo can still find a dozen ways to screw this goalie thing up before anything is over.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/22/16 02:09 PM

Ouch.. Great comeback in the third. Thought they were going to pull it off. I hope this doesn't give too big of a kick start to the Hawks.

sptsman
(member)
04/22/16 04:43 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
The Blues, as an organization have mismanaged goalies for the last 5-7 years.

Wrong!! The Blues have been mismanaging goalies since the early 90's...

So, it is panic time (we are Blues fans you know) or just worry time? Hard to imagine winning three games in a row in the United Center. IF that turns out to be true, we're looking at a game 7. Let's hope it doesn't get to that. I will say this team has a different feel to is with regards to the fight in them and the resiliency we're seeing when they get behind. Previous years they just laid down and gave up.

Anybody know if Allen or Elliott is starting game 6?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/22/16 05:56 PM

No worries....I think the Blues have gotten better each game of this series. Last night they lost their concentration for about 8 minutes in the 2nd period and it cost them, but otherwise, their best effort by far.

I don't know many people who thought this would be less then a 6 or 7 game series......so no need to panic.

griffin

last_stand
04/22/16 06:35 PM

Great game from a fans stand point. Agree Blues gave it up for that time in the second and it came back to haunt. But Shatty really pissed me off with his stand around play and it cost us twice.

My guess is Q stays with Toews and Kane but Hitch does NOT limit Tarasenko's ice time as he did last night. Stas and Backes did well containing Toews but Senko needs to be on the ice. Compromise is needed.

You can bench somebody because Bortuzzo needs to be laced up.

Blues are the better team top to bottom, they just can not let up and give Chicago's top line or Panarin that kind of leeway.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/22/16 06:50 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Ott needs to sit. He was consistently behind the play and a step slow. I like him, and I know the value he can bring to the locker room/bench.....but now that the games are ramped up his time off and age are showing.

fastman
(member)
04/22/16 09:40 PM

Make up ur friggin mind griff bout ott

Backes on the 13th u wanted ott on the ice.
Anybody that knows anythang bout hockey could c that ott was not goin 2 b an asset @ the playoffs.

That said........I sure hope Allen starts in game 6.

Ells needs a rest

H2ODOG
04/22/16 09:40 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

.but now that things are ramped up his time off and age are showing.

Reminds me of some duck hunters I know.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/22/16 11:17 PM

What this team needs is a TJ Oshie!!

last_stand
04/23/16 11:47 AM

I want Ells to give us the best game of his life. He can choose tonight or Monday.

The rest will follow.

sptsman
(member)
04/24/16 12:19 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
I want Ells to give us the best game of his life. He can choose tonight or Monday.

The rest will follow.

He picked Monday apparently...

You can hardly blame that loss on him but it would have been nice for him to stand on his head and save the rest of his teammates when they decided to quit in the 2nd and 3rd periods...

So, now we have a reality check. Since this time last year, there has really only been one question. Can the core players shake off the label of quitters, chokers or whatever label you want to give them? Last night was the perfect example of what we have seen for the last 3 years. A team that has proven they heave the skill, talent and coaching but just lack the fortitude to dig deep and finish the job. And when the going got tough, I mean really tough, they folded like a cheap suit... Granted, they are playing the defending Cup champs and a damn good team but they have already shown they can beat them, by going up 3-1 in the series and winning twice in their building.

Will they rise to the occasion Monday night? Will they be golfing by next weekend? Will Backes be able to say he did the best he could and we're on to round 2 or will he give his well seasoned and often used, we-just-didn't-play-good-enough post playoff game interviews?

I guess we'll see what happens Monday night. Every previously let-down-by-the-Blues bone in my body says it's over. It feels like the Blues have given up and are defeated before they even step on the ice Monday night. It feels like every one of them can't shake the oh-chit-here-we-go-again mentality. It feels like the Hawks smell blood in the water lie a hungry shark and the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

But alas, I am a Blues fan!! We hang on to any hope we can muster to drown out the feelings of possible defeat and hold on to hope!!! I will find a replica Barclay Plager sweater, put it on and sit on the edge of my seat Monday night (unless I get a call to go to the game). I will live and die with every stride of Backes' skates and pray he scores the game winner.

Go Blues!!!!!!!!!

H2ODOG
04/24/16 06:08 PM

Get ready Blues fans. It's coming, as it has for decades. Another disappointing finish is among us

last_stand
04/25/16 10:34 AM

This game, with all the momo for the Hawks, is certainly set up for yet another epic fail. That is true.

But, not for THIS Blues team.

Hitch, get your head out. Shattenkirk and Jbo.....wake the fork up.

sptsman
(member)
04/25/16 12:55 PM

Predictions:

Blues 7
Hawks 1

Elliot only has to make 19 saves.

Berglund with the hat trick!!

Backes gets three teeth knocked-out by 4th stick swinging incident for Keith and he goes on to score 2 goals...

Ken Hitchcock does his best Chris Farley Chippendale's dance on the bench after the win. It will look something like this... Hitchcock celebrates win over Hawks like this

Go Blues!!!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/25/16 02:29 PM

Since Hitch is the answer they should probably get rid of Tarasenko - he's obviously a cancer:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/153165...ko-even-arguing

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/25/16 02:55 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Since Hitch is the answer they should probably get rid of Tarasenko - he's obviously a cancer:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/153165...ko-even-arguing

I listened to a long statistical breakdown this morning of Tarasenko's playing time/shifts. He has played the least on the nights they have won, and he played the most during Saturday nights collapse.

I'm going to go with the Hall of Fame coach at this point.

Like I said earlier......anybody who didn't think this series could go to 7 games is an idiot. This is what home ice is for. I'll save the critique on this team and it's coaching when I see how the series actually ends.

I hate whiners.

sptsman
(member)
04/25/16 03:31 PM

This game isn't going to rest on Tarasenko's ice time or Hitchcock. It is going to be 100% about the effort and execution of the core players we need to step up and be the leaders and show they can get this team to the next level. That is Backes, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Steen, Elliott, and a few others. You can argue if Tarasenko should be in this group or not. I would think so. But cheesy arguments like the Hitchcock / Tarasenko feud are not relevant to the game tonight.

We know what we're going to get from Tarasenko and we know how much Chicago is going to focus on him. That frees up the players like Fabbri, Schwartz and a few others to make plays without the Hawks' #1 focus. But none of it matters if the core game is not won in the corners, at the bluelines and in the neutral zone. That's where the core players have to win the battles. That's where it is about digging deep and winning the dozens of little battles, every minute of the game. That is where the Blues failed Saturday night and where they will have failed, if they lose tonight...

last_stand
04/25/16 06:54 PM

Hitch is stubborn and he likes his defense. I do too but the last few games tell me it's time to change it up Hitch. Time to let Q have something himself to think about.

I understand and agree with everything said on what it takes to win. The team, the mindset, on puck, 60 minutes, defense........and so much more.

I understand that Toews and Kane and panarin need solid defenders.

Up to a point. We need players to get the puck down ice and on net too. We can't stand around in our zone watching the hawks play paddy cake with the puck.

He has the best most lethal shot than ANY player on either team on his bench. He has 14 goals in his first 19 play off games on his bench. That is Mario Lemieux territory.

And griffin, his minutes were down for a few of our wins because he doesn't kill penalties, and the hawks obliged with plenty of penalties in which we converted into wins.

No arguing here. No whining. I am not in the mood. Just an opinion is all. If Hitch has his own way to round 2 then let it be. My humble suggestion would be to somehow someway put the leagues leading playoff goal scorer into the game more often, more towards the 20 minute mark. And Fabbri is needed more minutes as well. It has some risk but as always, the reward is there too.

And to my Blues brothers here who really do want a win tonight, under ANY circumstance, God bless ya and let the karma flow.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/25/16 08:14 PM

"I'll save the critique on this team and it's coaching when I see how the series actually ends." - sounds like one of your famous "predictions".

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/25/16 10:24 PM

Cue the Jaws music....

last_stand
04/25/16 10:48 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
"I'll save the critique on this team and it's coaching when I see how the series actually ends." - sounds like one of your famous "predictions".

That ain't no forkin karma IIFID.

Get on board bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQFiDA4T4s

last_stand
04/25/16 10:50 PM

Fork you bubba. You're bad karma.

wuchangAdministrator
04/26/16 02:21 AM

Blues 3 Hawks 2

On to Dallas

Bandwagon Express All Aboard

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/26/16 02:34 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:

Exactly right.......never wrong. Deal with it KC fair weather fanboy.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

fastman
(member)
04/26/16 02:35 AM

That gal in pink behind the hawks bench was awesome along wiff da BLuz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellovah game

last_stand
04/26/16 02:58 AM

Thank you sweet Jesus.

H2ODOG
04/26/16 10:42 AM

Quote:

fastman said:
That gal in pink behind the hawks bench was awesome along wiff da BLuz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellovah game

I usually hate look at Q and the Hawks bench. Last night was more than tolerable. She could feed a village of kids

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/26/16 11:12 AM

Happy for you 3 jabronies !
I actually watched the game . Exciting stuff even though I don't quite understand the rules.
For y'alls sake , I hope they keep winning!

Back to you , dabs

sptsman
(member)
04/26/16 11:36 AM

Hard fought win. The Hawks looked like they simply lacked the passion of a Cup contender. Not to go all Freud on you fellas but I honestly think the suspensions of Keith and Shaw played a much, much bigger role than people realize. Whether consciously or subconsciously it seemed they feared what might happen with another "incident". Guys like that win Cups by playing right on the edge (see Dustin Brown for LA Kings for another example). Those guys and a few others, Seabrook to name one, were nowhere near the edge. It was almost as if they were more concerned with their image not getting any more tarnished than winning. Good for the Blues, bad for the Hawks.

Nice to see Berglund finally decide to show up. Lord knows he's well rested. Between the injury rest and his lack of expending much energy in the regular season he should be the Blues most energetic player. I'll take it...

Backes did a fine job as well. Talk about a monkey off his back (or should I say a stray animal off his back?). He was put in a very tough role and performed. Well done!! Now, can he do it for 2 rounds in a row? Let's hope so.

Elliott was very good. He made all of the stop he was supposed to and few he wasn't.

On to Dallas. If the standings are any sign of what's to come, it should be another back-and-forth series. The Blues need to take a days rest and then smash down on the gas pedal. As we saw in the 2nd period of the last 2 games, any let-up and they will find themselves in a bad place very quickly. Let's hope the Blues can shut down Benn & Spezza the way they shut down Toews and Kane...

My only concern for the Dallas series is the letdown factor. This win over the Hawks felt like a Cup win to some degree. It is going to take some serious focus for these boyz to get back into the mindset that they have to play 60 minutes of intense hockey in Game 1.

Go Blues!!!

PS - Can we do away with the supposed Tarasenko / Hitchcock feud/drama. It was all media hype...

last_stand
04/26/16 11:55 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Hard fought win. The Hawks looked like they simply lacked the passion of a Cup contender. Not to go all Freud on you fellas but I honestly think the suspensions of Keith and Shaw played a much, much bigger role than people realize. Whether consciously or subconsciously it seemed they feared what might happen with another "incident". Guys like that win Cups by playing right on the edge (see Dustin Brown for LA Kings for another example). Those guys and a few others, Seabrook to name one, were nowhere near the edge. It was almost as if they were more concerned with their image not getting any more tarnished than winning. Good for the Blues, bad for the Hawks.

Nice to see Berglund finally decide to show up. Lord knows he's well rested. Between the injury rest and his lack of expending much energy in the regular season he should be the Blues most energetic player. I'll take it...

Backes did a fine job as well. Talk about a monkey off his back (or should I say a stray animal off his back?). He was put in a very tough role and performed. Well done!! Now, can he do it for 2 rounds in a row? Let's hope so.

Elliott was very good. He made all of the stop he was supposed to and few he wasn't.

On to Dallas. If the standings are any sign of what's to come, it should be another back-and-forth series. The Blues need to take a days rest and then smash down on the gas pedal. As we saw in the 2nd period of the last 2 games, any let-up and they will find themselves in a bad place very quickly. Let's hope the Blues can shut down Benn & Spezza the way they shut down Toews and Kane...

My only concern for the Dallas series is the letdown factor. This win over the Hawks felt like a Cup win to some degree. It is going to take some serious focus for these boyz to get back into the mindset that they have to play 60 minutes of intense hockey in Game 1.

Go Blues!!!

PS - Can we do away with the supposed Tarasenko / Hitchcock feud/drama. It was all media hype...

If you thought that game lacked passion from either side you should consider finding something else to do with your time besides staring at a screen when a game happens to be on.

Kane/Toews with 1 goal between them is called good Blues hockey.

And the Tarasenko thing was not all media. Hitch made a conscientious decision to play D over Vladdy and after the two losses it became valid fodder. He stuck to his guns in 7 and the Blues won with great irony having Brouwer scoring the winning goal. Hitch is Hitch, he doesn't dance for anyone.

sptsman
(member)
04/26/16 12:05 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Happy for you 3 jabronies !
I actually watched the game . Exciting stuff even though I don't quite understand the rules.
For y'alls sake , I hope they keep winning!

Back to you , dabs

As much as I love hockey, played it in my younger days and still watch it, I will be the first to tell you that NHL rules are written with gray ink on gray paper.

Here's a really good rule of thumb: If a call is made by a guy without any orange on his shirt, it is a pretty black & white call (no pun intended) and it is usually correct. Those are the linesmen and their very good almost all of the time. They mostly call the basic stuff like offsides, icing and a few infractions like too many men on the ice, hand passes and pucks hit with a high stick. The guys with the orange on their uniform are generally drunk, mentally challenged or have taken money to influence the outcome of the game. 99% of their calls are completely subjective and their interpretation of the rules can change minute by minute. Those are the refs.

Where the casual fan gets lost is when the refs call the game one way in the 1st and 2nd periods and then another way in the 3rd, if the game is tied or within one goal. And if you watch hockey during the regular season, it is an entirely different game in the playoffs. I think there were 3 penalties called last night. Unless you were blind, both teams got away with at least 2 tripping calls and a few other infractions as well. In short, they call fewer penalties in the playoffs and it gets silly in a game 7.

But fear not, if you just hang around this board long enough, you'll be a regular Barry Melrose in no time. Or in your case, maybe a Don Cherry...

sptsman
(member)
04/26/16 12:22 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
If you thought that game lacked passion from either side you should consider finding something else to do with your time besides staring at a screen when a game happens to be on.

Dude, do you have a reading comprehension problem or just like to make chit up that isn't there? Go back and read my post. I never said the game lacked passion. I said the Hawks players that normally play on the edge, didn't play on the edge and it showed. If you think the passion level of the Hawks was at the same level it was when they were schooling the Blues in the past, you're the one not paying attention. There were far less scrums than previous Blues/Hawks series and rarely pushed in the crease after the save to stir things up. How many times did you see a Hawks player go after a Blue, after a big hit? Very few... The point was that the suspensions likely caused them to not play so close to the edge and it showed...

Quote:

last_stand said:
And the Tarasenko thing was not all media. Hitch made a conscientious decision to play D over Vladdy and after the two losses it became valid fodder.

In a word, Bullchit!! It was all media hype and the teenage girls getting mad because their boy wasn't getting the ice time they wanted to see. Hitchcock is a HOF coach with his name on a Cup as a coach. He knows how to manage a player like Tarasenko. Once in a while a player get antsy and restless and pops off. That's all it was...

Don't let the media hype control your thought process. Watch the games and tune in here for my analysis. That's all you really need. Oh, and pay attention to what griffin says about goalies. He can see things almost nobody else can, when it come to goalies...

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/26/16 12:39 PM

The Tarasenko/Hitchcock deal WAS way overblown......if nothing else, simply because Hitchcock is the coach...he gets paid to manage the players. You do it his way, or you sit, or you biatch about it....but in the end you do it his way. That's hockey, and that's how a team wins with a coach who has a proven track record. I'm glad that Tarasenko got his panties in a wad over lack of playing time....great players do, it should be expected.....now sit down and shut up.

I don't think the Blues feel like they have won anything yet....I just didn't get that sense listening to the after game interviews. I was happy to see/hear it.

I think Andy's point about Shaw and Kieth is valid.....but let's face it, the Hawks had gotten a bit too used to being allowed to play on an edge that was further out then other teams have been allowed on. The league reeling them back in a bit was valid and needed.

This Blues team can win the Stanley Cup, they are that good, and play that well as a team.....and until they are eliminated I have no criticism. They've had plenty of that and now is not the time.

As I said before, there are very few people who thought this wouldn't be a 7 game series.....and a lot happens in a long series. Tarasenko put it aptly after the game...."we won 1, they won 1, we won 2, they won 2, and we won the last one." Seven games......that's what it takes to eliminate the Stanley Cup champions. Fabulously played series by the Blues.

griffin

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/26/16 02:14 PM

One more thing......lots of teams use the cycle to move the puck around behind the net in the offensive zone, waiting for someone to get open in front.....the Hawks do it in the slot and it's the scariest thing in hockey to watch if you are a fan of the opposing team.

griffin

last_stand
04/26/16 03:09 PM

I was not referring to any drama with the Tarasenko thing, not any spat part with Hitch.

I'm saying the actual tactical use of Tarasenko by Hitch was VERY deliberate and in many quarters controversial to minimize your top scorers ice time and go with your checking defenders in his place. And the most often cited player taking his time was Brouwer.
He was criticized and questioned for it, he stuck with it, and it worked.

The Hawks had the passion, they have the experience, they just don't have the horses like years past. Keith can't do it all, their D core is mediocre beyond him and he will soon be a huge cap problem. Seabrook is past his spring line and soon another cap problem. The Blues shut down Kane and Toews and that left Panarin and Shaw and it wasn't enough. Playing thru June last year doesn't help either.

The better team, deeper team, won.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/26/16 04:17 PM

And all I'm saying is that the sniveling whining that went on by Blues "fans" when Chicago tied the series was a joke.

I already heard this morning on my way to work that if the Blues don't win the series against Dallas then this win over Chicago means nothing.

How about shut the fork up and stick the microphone up your arse.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
04/26/16 05:17 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
One more thing......lots of teams use the cycle to move the puck around behind the net in the offensive zone, waiting for someone to get open in front.....the Hawks do it in the slot and it's the scariest thing in hockey to watch if you are a fan of the opposing team.

griffin

Watching Kane skate rapidly decreasing concentric circles in the offensive zone will certainly tighten your sphincter...

H2ODOG
04/26/16 05:59 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Quote:

Dude, do you have a reading comprehension problem or just like to make chit up that isn't there?

Trust me when I say this......he ain't the only bastard in here with a reading comprehension problem.

last_stand
04/26/16 06:51 PM

sptsman said:
"The Hawks looked like they simply lacked the passion of a Cup contender."

I apologize for thinking you said the game lacked passion from the Hawks. I don't know what I was thinking.

I am ok with varying opinions. Mine is the hawks had the passion, hell, it was as close a series as one could ask for.

In the end though, they just didn't have the horses this time around.

DADAKOTA
(member)
04/27/16 11:36 AM

Added bonus to the Blues winning is not having to hear any Cardinal BS.

last_stand
04/27/16 03:06 PM

Taking on the Hawks was a big step. Now, the Blues have to do what is expected of them:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-s...ans-going-happy

last_stand
04/27/16 10:26 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl...k-you/83597980/

sptsman
(member)
04/28/16 12:02 PM

I have to trust the players won't pay attention to any of that stuff and play like they are the underdogs. I'm sure Hitchcock will not allow them to get complacent.

Blues certainly have the edge in net. The goaltending for Dallas has been pretty mediocre. Blues have the edge on defense and depth as well. Where I fear Dallas is Benn and Spezza. I think Jamie Benn is about as good as they get in the NHL. Thank goodness Seguin is out and looks to be out for the whole series. That really stings them. He was their next best offensive player after Benn. Dallas also has an edge in team speed. Never more important for the Blues to play a strong team game and support each other. Forwards are going to need to play the whole 200' of ice and support the defense.

Let's hope they get at least one win out of Dallas and maybe even get greedy with two wins down there.

If they get up 2-0 or 3-1, don't be surprised to see Allen get a start. Maybe even after a 1-0 start.

Go Blues!!!!!

H2ODOG
04/28/16 12:43 PM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Added bonus to the Blues winning is not having to hear any Cardinal BS.

You sound like the current generation. Words hurt. Words about Cardinals hurt even more.

DADAKOTA
(member)
04/28/16 01:52 PM

I keep tabs on the birds just fine Dog. This way I don't have to be exposed to the arrogant Cards fans (2nd only to KU)and their privileged homer attitudes. It is all good in ma hood.

last_stand
04/28/16 02:07 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I have to trust the players won't pay attention to any of that stuff and play like they are the underdogs. I'm sure Hitchcock will not allow them to get complacent.

Blues certainly have the edge in net. The goaltending for Dallas has been pretty mediocre. Blues have the edge on defense and depth as well. Where I fear Dallas is Benn and Spezza. I think Jamie Benn is about as good as they get in the NHL. Thank goodness Seguin is out and looks to be out for the whole series. That really stings them. He was their next best offensive player after Benn. Dallas also has an edge in team speed. Never more important for the Blues to play a strong team game and support each other. Forwards are going to need to play the whole 200' of ice and support the defense.

Let's hope they get at least one win out of Dallas and maybe even get greedy with two wins down there.

If they get up 2-0 or 3-1, don't be surprised to see Allen get a start. Maybe even after a 1-0 start.

Go Blues!!!!!

I don't see Allen getting in at 1-0.

If Hitch did it at 3-1 he could make a case. The way the games are spaced, "resting" is moot but keeping Allen fresh would be his reasoning. Not sure how sound that is?

As for the series, paramount we stay disciplined and out of the box with this Dallas offense. We match up well with them but I am surprised Dallas doesn't have some more supporters out there picking them to win. Our Series in reg season was 4-1 but 3 of those wins went past regulation.

I pick the Blues here too but I see it close. These games can turn on a dime.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/28/16 02:22 PM

I've seen the Blues play the Stars twice this year.....the Stars are scary. That 4-1 season record doesn't tell the story.

Allen should not get a start. It's the playoffs.....you try to win every game with your best players. Elliott is the best goalie on the team. He plays.

HAUS
(member for now)
04/28/16 03:17 PM

I hope the Blues go all the way and Pronger shows up to play.

I'm afraid the Blues are going to trade him away at the end of the season...

H2ODOG
04/28/16 06:18 PM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
I keep tabs on the birds just fine Dog. This way I don't have to be exposed to the arrogant Cards fans (2nd only to KU)and their privileged homer attitudes. It is all good in ma hood.

People hate what they don't have. That's why so many MU people Hate KU
They actually put a quality product on the court and have the rings to prove it. When you are good, you are good. Maybe it's the 100 loss seasons and years of bitterness of seeing success on the east side. Who knows. Crow on new money. It isn't easy getting there every year. I'll take an arrogant fan over the bandwagon clowns any day. KC has that department locked up. You don't go from 13k fans in a playoff hunt to 45k a night in a matter of weeks without having a bandwagon following......plus the countless I'm finally proud of my baseball teams postings.

It's amazing 75k people can find the stadium for football games to watch a mediocre team, but only 13k could find the same parking lot for baseball. The fans are finally showing up. Get below .500 or drop into the standings and see what happens. Of the fans stay, great. I'm guess they bail like they have in years past. It's what bandwagon people do dude

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
04/29/16 09:50 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
I've seen the Blues play the Stars twice this year.....the Stars are scary. That 4-1 season record doesn't tell the story.

Allen should not get a start. It's the playoffs.....you try to win every game with your best players. Elliott is the best goalie on the team. He plays.

Dammit I hate agreeing with Bailey.. but in this one case I think he's right..

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
04/29/16 10:30 PM

Did ya see what that Oshie kid did last night ?? Told ya so.

sptsman
(member)
04/30/16 11:19 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:

I stand corrected. They were simply outplayed on nearly every level. Maybe they did read the press clippings and figured all they had to do was show up... Hopefully, this will be their wake-up call.

last_stand
04/30/16 11:42 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

I stand corrected. They were simply outplayed on nearly every level. Maybe they did read the press clippings and figured all they had to do was show up... Hopefully, this will be their wake-up call.

I see they have you talking to yourself.

If not for Elliott, that game could have been 5-1.

The experts had the mismatch part down right last night, just the wrong team.

sptsman
(member)
04/30/16 01:37 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

I see they have you talking to yourself.

Yes, yes they do...

I am simply stunned that this team would have a no-show in Game #1. After all they've been through over the last 3 years and then beating the Hawks in Round 1... I just can't fathom what was going on in their minds and why they would have not come out flying, hitting and shooting more. I suppose it will all be forgotten if they can win Game #2 but dayum, this bunch just baffles me at times...

Go Blues!!

last_stand
04/30/16 03:27 PM

I have to give Dallas some credit. Goal tending was decent and they came out and took it to us.

But no doubt, the front guys were flat footed, sloppy and once again could not finish.

Lastly, as hard as you try, its difficult to come back after a series like Chicago and just pick up where you left off. I know they should know better, but doing it is why these games are decided on the ice.

Hope they find their game soon. Time is a' wasting.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
04/30/16 09:13 PM

No worries.....this is another 7 game series. Lots of hockey left. I didn't figure the Blues would win this game, so I don't care of they were flat, flying, or whatever.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/01/16 05:51 PM

I think you'll see a different Blues team today. I think they will be over their Hawk hangover.. at least I hope so..

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
05/01/16 10:26 PM

Concur , I see a 4-3 victory in overtime after the Note blows a 3-1 lead...Go Blue!

last_stand
05/02/16 01:34 AM

As I see it, the Blues have played 2 really good periods of hockey out of 6.

And they are 1-1.

Time to ramp it up and stick with the winning game plan of those 2 periods if they want to advance. It's theirs for the taking.

And how 'bout that Captain? 2 OT game winners.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/02/16 02:01 AM

As I see it the Blues just stole home ice advantage away from the #1 team in the Western Conference. I don't give a rats arse about analysis this time of year.....it's all about getting the W.

In reading comments from the Post and other outlets it's plain to me that Blue's "fans" have their collective heads up their arses over this team. This is how they've won all year.....it's what they do. The "fans" need to shut the fork up and enjoy the ride. Bunch of damn whiney bastards.

griffin

sptsman
(member)
05/02/16 11:20 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

In reading comments from the Post and other outlets it's plain to me that Blue's "fans" have their collective heads up their arses over this team. This is how they've won all year.....it's what they do. The "fans" need to shut the fork up and enjoy the ride. Bunch of damn whiney bastards

Mr. Pot, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle...

Only one comment about the 4-3 OT win. And it is a comment I've made over the years about football as well. When you play the last 2,4 6, or 19 minutes of a game not to lose, instead of to win, you deserve to lose. I'm talking about the prevent defense in football and the "defensive shell" game in hockey. Any team that thinks it is a good idea to give a team like the Stars a dozen rushes at you in the last 6 mins of the game can plan on getting a goal scored on them. That was idiotic and it always will be, against teams with that level of offensive skill. Their weakness is their "D" and goaltending (at times). Dumping and making line changes as opposed to dumping and applying pressure / forechecking is a piss poor way to try to finish a game, with a one goal lead. In fact, it will lead to getting out shot 13-2 and giving up the game tying goal...

Oh, and we really needed Elliott to stop that breakaway. Would have been the nail in the Star's coffin. But no complaints. He's been good enough. Just would have been nice to see him be great!!! Sort of makes you wonder if Allen would have stopped that breakaway...

wuchangAdministrator
05/02/16 12:02 PM

Andy---

Either you get the early edition of the newspaper or you are in the wrong business because the gomers in the Tip Sheet section agree with you

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/j...c0bcc10a72.html

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/02/16 02:18 PM

Andy - the Blues are where they are in this series and got there because of Elliott. No goalie in the playoffs is facing as many shots as him. He HAS been great. And he'll be the difference in this series.

Get over it.

sptsman
(member)
05/02/16 02:39 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Andy---

Either you get the early edition of the newspaper or you are in the wrong business because the gomers in the Tip Sheet section agree with you

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/j...c0bcc10a72.html

Bill, the PD used to have one of the best and most well respected sports sections in the country. Over the past 10-15 years it has fallen so badly, I hardly ever read it. I'll read the headlines daily but read about one out of every 25 articles and/or columns they publish. In short, the average sports fan is not much less informed and can give analysis equal to or better than the clowns they have now. I used to enjoy some of Bernie Miklasz's stuff as a columnist but the arse-clowns they have now are a complete and total joke. The guy that wrote the piece you are referring to, Jeff Gordon, is hit or miss. He is usually pretty decent on Blues stuff. And don't even get me started on the late Brian Burwell...

Just to clarify, I have no beef with most of the beat-writers. The guys like Derrick Goold, Jim Thomas, Jeremy Rutherford, Rick Hummel, et al are just fine. It's the a-holes that get paid to write opinions that are so hard to read and not want to poke your eyes out...

wuchangAdministrator
05/02/16 09:29 PM

The national writers were the ones that were commenting on the Blues letting off the gas pedal

The PD writers----mehhhhhhhhhhh-
especially that yahoo they imported from Denver

sptsman
(member)
05/03/16 11:14 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
The PD writers----mehhhhhhhhhhh-
especially that yahoo they imported from Denver

The biggest douche of them all...

dabsAdministrator
()
05/03/16 02:49 PM

I guess you puck chuckers will have to find something else to occupy your time now -

http://toastdispatch.com/nhl-cancels-wes...as-elimination/

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/04/16 04:18 AM

Any questions?

griffin

wuchangAdministrator
05/04/16 10:24 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Any questions?

griffin

YEAH--- A few....for starters

Why is the NHL such a garage league when it comes to:

officiating

Scheduling of playoff games so everyone in the country can see the Blues and Dallas from start to finish EXCEPT the home markets in St Louis and Dallas-- see below from the PD Story in today's edition

Inside STL, NBCSN will switch to Blues / Stars at puck drop. #WeAllBleedBlue #stlblues 8:29 PM - 03 May 2016

Only that didn't happen.

NBC SN cut back to the Blues game after the first Lightning-Islanders overtime, but not before the St. Louis audience missed the first two goals of the Blues game.

NBCSN???? really???

When do the Cubs play the Royals in the World Series and which team wins??

last_stand
05/04/16 10:30 AM

uhhhhhhhhh..........that was a good ol fashioned butt kickin.

I just wish the team had a captain to lead them in these playoffs.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/04/16 12:28 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
uhhhhhhhhh..........that was a good ol fashioned butt kickin.

I just wish the team had a captain to lead them in these playoffs.

And a goalie. If this team had a playoff goalie they could go far.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/04/16 01:51 PM

Hey Wu.....Charter cable did just fine. They switched to the Blues game on NBCSN and the Islander game went to NHL network. We didn't miss any of it.

Of course, tapping into what I have learned from fixing the problems on this site as an administrator, it was easy for me to plan ahead and see the problem coming.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/06/16 01:04 PM

Ouch! If the Note end up losing this series that is a game they will look back at and know that they gave it away. They were pretty dominating in the first period - looked like it was going to be a repeat of Game 3. If not for Lehtonen it could have easily been 3-0 or 4-0 after the first. Edmundson's giveaway was one of the worst I've seen and seemed to totally switch the momentum of the game.
Now they gotta win one in Dallas - which they certainly can do. Go Blues!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/06/16 02:17 PM

I don't know what happened last night, or what the Blues thought they saw in earlier games to make them want to try to exploit the long passes out of their zone to create breakaways and odd man rushes.....but it burned them bad and caused turnover after turnover. That is not the game they play when they win and dominate......but they kept going back to it again and again after the Tarasenko goal.

The Blues have been successful having the D rush the puck up into the offensive zone and flooding the neutral zone as they do.....then relentlessly pounding the opposition D in the offensive zone. Whatever the hell caused them to change their game last night was a bad idea.

And that forking Tarasenko and his ballerina crap wears me out. Either shoot the forking puck or pass it.....his "one man playmaking show" is ridiculous.

FORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/06/16 03:44 PM

At times they look like they are trying to be Gretzky and the Oilers and they ain't got the peeps to do it.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/06/16 06:12 PM

Those Oiler teams were fun to watch. All of them could really skate. Some of the Blues D-men get beat to the puck in the corner from a faceoff in their defensive zone.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
05/06/16 10:31 PM

What is icing?
What is off sides?
And with all the hacking and banging and bashing , when does it become a penalty? I cant see the difference when someone is slammed into the wall and no call or when the same play gets called?
Whats the deal on a "late" penalty?

Asking for dabs..

dabsAdministrator
()
05/07/16 05:20 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
What is icing?
What is off sides?
And with all the hacking and banging and bashing , when does it become a penalty? I cant see the difference when someone is slammed into the wall and no call or when the same play gets called?

Asking for dabs..

Icing is the stuff on the top and sides of your birthday cakes.

Off sides is when one team crosses the line of scrimmage before the ball is hiked.

It becomes a penalty when the referee throws the yellow flag.

Duh

last_stand
05/07/16 11:47 PM

Elliott with a statement game...best of the playoffs.

Hitch calls Jaskin up after 30 days of pine....Jaskin with the game winning goal and great play.

Blues regain their neutral zone dominance for 2 periods.

Now game six. Play it like it's seven boys.

sptsman
(member)
05/08/16 01:05 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
What is icing?
What is off sides?

Asking for dabs..

This is all you need to know... Hockey Rules Explaned

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
05/08/16 11:21 PM

Ninja , I am serious.

Ive watched every playoff game and am kinda getting into it , since I can't get the Braves in this wasteland.

last_stand
05/09/16 10:51 AM

I'll probably watch tonight myself.

sptsman
(member)
05/09/16 11:56 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Ninja , I am serious.

Ive watched every playoff game and am kinda getting into it , since I can't get the Braves in this wasteland.

OK, then go to Youtube, type into the search box, "Rules of Hockey Explained". You will get about ten dozen, simple, easy-to-follow tutorials about the rules of hockey. Just be advised, the NHL uses these same rules but applies them a bit differently in may cases, especially the penalties. And also keep in mind there are many rules that probably not going to be explained in most of the tutorials, like the home team getting the last line change, the offending team does not get any line change on an icing call, the team in the defensive end has to put their stick on the ice first for a face-off, etc... And there are rules about line changes that even seasoned fans don't fully understand, like when a player can get on the ice and and when he can make a play (relative to the timing of the player he is replacing getting off the ice). This leads to some confusion about when it is a too many men on the ice penalty and when it is not.

Your best bet is to find a seasoned hockey fan to watch the game with. Preferably one that doesn't yell "Shoooot" every time their team gets the puck at the point, in the offensive zone. That fan has likely never played and/or taken the time to learn the nuances of the game, much less the rules.

And don't get too discouraged. As you can see, even fans like griffin and last stand need some help, from someone like me to fully understand the finer points of the game...

As far as tonight's game, here is all you need to know: As of today, every time the Blues have had their backs against the wall and faced pressure or a "must-win" situation, they have responded well. However, every time they have been in the driver's seat and had the chance to seal the deal or gain a huge advantage, they have not been their best. What we're looking for tonight is to change that trend. They need to be flying, hitting and dominating the Stars. They need a smothering defense, especially at the blueline and in the neutral zone. The forecheck has to be strong and they must take advantage of the Stars less-that-stellar defense. If they get lazy or let the Stars skate through the neutral zone and enter into the offensive zone easily, they will not fare well. The Stars are just too good offensively to let that happen.

Go Blues!!!

dabsAdministrator
()
05/09/16 01:17 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Ninja , I am serious.

Alright then -

Come on up, bring the wings and the beer and I will learn you all about it

last_stand
05/09/16 09:15 PM

Bring it home tonight boys.

Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
05/09/16 10:28 PM

Thanks sptsman , but ten dozen is more than I can handle.....I'll just sit here in my boxers and yell shoooot every time they touch the puck......If it gets too confusing I'll just call dabs for guidance.

Go Blue.......and Braves!

last_stand
05/10/16 11:20 AM

Game seven it is.

Holy chit.

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/10/16 05:49 PM

Will it be Blues or Blose?

fastman
(member)
05/11/16 11:54 AM

blose ima thinkin.....starz7.bluz2

fastman
(member)
05/11/16 11:49 PM

told ya the blues wood get 2

fastman
(member)
05/12/16 12:18 AM

3 more & it'll bee 7...just like i predicked

sptsman
(member)
05/12/16 09:58 AM

Hmmm, looking like that Oshie / Brouwer trade is looking more and more to be just what the Blues needed. You have to give Armstrong and Hitchcock a tip of the cap for recognizing it and pulling it off... It seems you have to stay on your feet in the playoffs and be able to grind it out...

last_stand
05/12/16 11:37 AM

The better team won, no doubt about that.

They took the game when Tarasenkos goal was disallowed and then scored another within a minute. Another "answer" that in the past could never be found.

Congrats to Hitch, Ell's, the captain Backes, the kid Fabbri and the gutty job from Stasny.

Eddie, I laughed when I saw your prediction but.....dam man.

sptsman
(member)
05/16/16 01:33 PM

Good start to the series, considering they were outplayed much of the game. This was one of those games where you talk about a goalie carrying you. It was needed and Elliott stepped up and answered the call. Good to see.

As good as Elliott was last night, you can't expect that every game. The rest of the team needs to play much, much better. Once again, the 2nd period was a no-show for them. How they got out of that period with a 2-1 lead is a mystery. They were out-shot 16-5 and played about 90% of the period in their own end... Faceoffs were about as lopsided as I've seen in a Blues game as well. Didn't look at the stats but it has to be ugly. They have to do better on the faceoffs...

The good news is that even playing that poorly in the 2nd, they got the W and are up 2-1.

Go Blues!!

last_stand
05/16/16 03:17 PM

Blues won the game because of Elliotts strong play and then their own special teams PP and PK.

I was super curious on how game 1 would go and though there was a lot of good to be found last night that 2nd period was perhaps the worst of the post season. The same period where we went up to win the game. Go figure.

Sharks might be wondering how they lost that game but they had a lot of troubles of their own and I got news for them the Blues can play better.

If Ell's can stay strong I like our chances.

H2ODOG
05/16/16 04:02 PM

I just wish the Blues had a playoff capable goalie. :smoking:

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/16/16 05:39 PM

I just like their distraction plan for behind the opposing teams bench!

HAUS
(member for now)
05/16/16 08:12 PM

no kiddin.. some kind of marketing whiz right there.. hockey.. milk... momma...

HAUS
(member for now)
05/16/16 08:19 PM

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/04/mystery-boobs-blackhawks-game-lots-fans-talking/

http://bustedcoverage.com/2016/05/04/blues-fan-boobs-behind-bench-stars-video-photos-husband/

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/05/16/bluesboobs-twitter-reaction-cleavage-pictures/

I don't do the hashtag thing, but I will this time..

#BluesBoobs

H2ODOG
05/17/16 02:31 AM

#LetsGoBoobs

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/17/16 05:02 PM

#Weaponsofmassdistraction

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/17/16 07:44 PM

I am hoping for the Note to jump to an early lead tonight so the cameraman shoots the Sharks bench a lot to get their coaches reaction.. jes sayin'..

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
05/17/16 09:57 PM

I like titties.....just sayin'

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/17/16 10:39 PM

And beer

DADAKOTA
(member)
05/18/16 03:02 AM

What a crap performance by the B-lose

last_stand
05/18/16 05:27 PM

Worst game of the playoffs. Disjointed, slow, sloppy. Got their butts whooped.

Good guys need to get back to the basics that got them here, and damn quick too.

HAUS
(member for now)
05/18/16 06:25 PM

#RallyBoobs

last_stand
05/18/16 10:19 PM

Time to ban those forkin boobs. Forkin things have wrinkles anyway.

last_stand
05/18/16 10:32 PM

Just waiting on Haus now........1, 2, 3,.......bwaaaaaaaaaa

H2ODOG
05/19/16 02:16 AM

Wrinkles or not, I still want to see them. Uncage the Monkees

HAUS
(member for now)
05/19/16 12:15 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Time to ban those forkin boobs. Forkin things have wrinkles anyway.

I ain't talkin about yours...

I'm talkin about the ones that's been on teevee. those ones have been pumped up with 2-3 cans of fix-o-flat each..

dabsAdministrator
()
05/20/16 02:12 AM

Well, Ells bells!

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/22/16 01:46 AM

Wow! To be hones that was not what I expected to happen. Now back to even at 2 - 2. I hope they keep playing like they did for the first 40 minutes. LGB!!

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
05/22/16 05:12 PM

This is just the same Blues team we have seen all season. Many time, due to injury, lackluster play, etc. it seemed right to count them out....and each time it happens here they come back. They have already dispatched the defending champs and the #1 team in the conference. There is no reason, with this series tied 2-2, to think that the Blues won't be there in the cup finals. It's who they have been all season.

griffin

last_stand
05/22/16 06:10 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
This is just the same Blues team we have seen all season. Many time, due to injury, lackluster play, etc. it seemed right to count them out....and each time it happens here they come back. They have already dispatched the defending champs and the #1 team in the conference. There is no reason, with this series tied 2-2, to think that the Blues won't be there in the cup finals. It's who they have been all season.

griffin

Pretty much dead on there. Told anyone that would listen after game 3 that in spite of it all no way do I cave on these guys.

Watching and listening to Hitch in these pressers has been hilarious. Almost as if he got a hold of some of Colorado's best stuff. He's having a ball. I was opposed to pulling Moose but I knew it was really about something else.

78% of deciding game five winners take the series. Monday is a big one alright.

sptsman
(member)
05/23/16 05:40 PM

Tonight is a must win ... unless they lose ... then Wednesday is a must win...

Just trying to enjoy the ride at this point. Having two netminders playing well helps. But the key to tonight's game is far more about the rest of the team showing up and playing like they need to. Oh, and the boob lady, behind the bench, not covering up too much. She may not be much too look at but she has certainly been part of the show...

Go Blues!!

HAUS
(member for now)
05/23/16 07:17 PM

#RallyBoobs

#Motorboat

Go Blues!

sptsman
(member)
05/24/16 12:36 PM

I put this one on the boob lady. She covered up and they lost. It is as simple as that...

Of course the team getting schooled by a team that clearly wanted it more had something to do with it, as well. What a piss poor effort in the 3rd period.

I don't have much hope that this team can beat the Sharks 2 games in a row. Too much Jekyll & Hyde in them. But alas, this is the playoffs and anything can happen. Maybe Tarasenko will awake from his sleepwalking, slumber and actually do something. Maybe the defense will figure out they need to exit the defensive zone quickly, decisively and sharply EVERY TIME. Maybe, just maybe they'll put it all together for 2 games in a row... Gotta have hope!!!

Going to be out of town for this next game. Being able to watch it is a 50/50 proposition with the NHL's genius TV deals. Of course if they play like they have in all but game #4, I may not want to see it...

Go Blue!!

dabsAdministrator
()
05/24/16 12:51 PM

It is not how fast you score, it is how well you score fast!

last_stand
05/24/16 06:51 PM

Another game that came down to bad/dumb penalties, a poor PP and even worse PK. Oh, and a softie. And I believe Shattenkrik and Tarasenko are double agents with SJ.

While the refs gave all the room in the world to the Sharks. Polak should have had a double minor with his cheap right, Wingle should have gone off with Shattenkirk and I did not see a hook on their breakaway. Forkin ridiculous, and huge in a game like this.

Bubba
(strangesly aroused)
05/24/16 10:29 PM

I love it when you talk hockey...

H2ODOG
05/25/16 12:32 PM

last_stand
05/25/16 02:37 PM

GO BLUE!

H2ODOG
05/26/16 02:16 AM

sptsman
(member)
05/26/16 01:08 PM

Welp, made it to the final four and ran out of steam or just didn't have the horses to pull the wagon. You can pick it apart for hours on end but the bottom line is that San Jose simply outplayed them. Blame it on effort, blame it on skill level, blame it on the boob lady, blame it on whatever you want... They lost. San Jose found the gas pedal, mashed it down and really never let up. Other than gamer four, they pretty much owned the Blues.

As much as it stings, it was sure nice to watch them play beyond the first round. Props to Armstrong for building a pretty good team. Hitchcock did a good job for the most part but may or may not be what they need moving forward. I'm OK if they keep him and OK if they make a change. My only hope if they make a change is that it isn't just a change for the sake of change. It needs to be a strategic move for the better.

I guess it's time to start the new thread "2016-2017 SAINT LOUIS BLUES"

GO Tampa!!

last_stand
05/26/16 02:18 PM

A sad day for me.

Just is.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/26/16 03:18 PM

Griffin will predict the Sharks in 6.. just wait for it..

HAUS
(member for now)
05/26/16 03:23 PM

I don't think the rules of this website allow a prediction of a prediction..

You might want to edit your post, Tim.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/26/16 06:01 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
I don't think the rules of this website allow a prediction of a prediction..

You might want to edit your post, Tim.

How utterly predictable..

HAUS
(member for now)
05/26/16 06:11 PM

recalling back to recent posts on this here thread, I believe the correct usage would be "udderly predictable."

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
05/26/16 07:33 PM

Well played..

last_stand
05/27/16 11:23 AM

Pretty good hockey game last night. Seals the deal for me, I'll be pulling for the Sharks to get their first Cup.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5