Ozark
(member)
12/02/12 05:10 AM
Turkey Jerky

I got a gobbler this year, and though I've just skinned 'em and kept the breast meat in the past, this time I kept the thighs and drumsticks too.

A couple of people told me the thighs and drumsticks will be too tough, but I'm thinking if they are I'll make turkey jerky out of them. Oughta be good.

I'm planning to slice the meat thin by cutting across the grain. Then just like with deer jerky I'll mix up a marinade, soak the strips about 24 hours in the 'fridge, and dry them in a dehydrator. That'll make short strips of course - the ones cut crossways from drumstick meat.

Has anybody here made turkey jerky? Any suggestions?

hucklburry
(member)
12/02/12 01:45 PM
Re: Turkey Jerky

I used a dry rub from hi-mountain and my electric smoker a few years back on one and smoked the breast in strips for jerky, turned out good.

swampy
(stirrer of chit)
12/02/12 11:16 PM

you can always pressure cook them and make pot pie out of it

Nontypical
(member)
12/03/12 04:24 PM

I made about 3 pounds from the two jakes I got this spring. Used the breasts and leg/thigh meat. I ground the meat and used Hi-Mountain Mesquite seasoning. I used the jerky shooter and the dehydrator.

Turned out great and disappeared in a couple of days.

Good luck!

duko™
(member)
12/04/12 06:44 PM

A friend of mine makes turkey salad with the legs and thighs...you know, that stuff that has mayonnaise, green peppers, eggs, and whatever else in it that you put between two slices of bread. Well, it makes for a damn fine sammich!

duko

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5