CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES
      #264334 - 09/28/23 11:13 AM

Oh boy....what's it gonna be?

Team is 1/3 tear down with a few JAGS and 1/3 up and comers who best be coming and 1/3 vets who almost all need to turn around from last year barring just a few.

The common wisdom is to hold fort with this kind of team until the youngsters come into their own and they do have a great group of prospects a year or two away.

The goalie situation is going to be interesting. The D has to be credible but whatever JB actually is should come to light this year.

I think this group can compete if all the "ifs" actually happen.

Just glad the boys are back. It's been a long off season.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: last_stand]
      #264337 - 09/29/23 11:52 AM

I can honestly say that I have no idea how this team will look. They've lost so much scoring, experience and leadership, it feels like a rudderless ship. I hope they can gel and form an identity pretty quickly or they'll be in pretty deep hole a few months into the season. There is some talent on this team, to be sure. Just not sure if they'll have their chit together...

I guess my biggest concern is the D. Had Parayko become the Norris candidate we thought he was, I might feel better about it. But not having a top-ten/fifteen defenseman to anchor this defense is concerning. I just don't see this corps being good enough to get the Blues back in the playoffs and to contend.

Either way, I'll be watching the games, unless they start stinking it up, like last year. Then I'll watch when it is convenient and I have nothing better to do. Goign to miss not having Panger, when I do watch.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: 23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: sptsman]
      #264338 - 09/29/23 08:12 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I can honestly say that I have no idea how this team will look. They've lost so much scoring, experience and leadership, it feels like a rudderless ship. I hope they can gel and form an identity pretty quickly or they'll be in pretty deep hole a few months into the season. There is some talent on this team, to be sure. Just not sure if they'll have their chit together...

I guess my biggest concern is the D. Had Parayko become the Norris candidate we thought he was, I might feel better about it. But not having a top-ten/fifteen defenseman to anchor this defense is concerning. I just don't see this corps being good enough to get the Blues back in the playoffs and to contend.

Either way, I'll be watching the games, unless they start stinking it up, like last year. Then I'll watch when it is convenient and I have nothing better to do. Goign to miss not having Panger, when I do watch.

Valid points but the forward group is actually more than decent.

I agree it comes down to the D as you say and then JB/Hofer who are also at their mercy.

Thrilled to see what Perunovich can do he's a little guy but knows how to move a puck.

CP is on the record he has to do better. Faulk and Leddy haven't fessed up but they know the same about themselves.

I just know I'll be watching and hoping for a "transition year" that includes play off hockey.

--------------------

sptsman

#264341 - 10/05/23 06:40 AM

Yes, the forward group is fine, offensively. My concern is the two way play and how they play defensively and in transition. You can’t put the puck in the net from your own end and you can’t score, if you can’t get out of your own end, though the neutral zone and get some possession time in the offensive zone. I think that is where they are going to miss guys like O’Reilly, Tarasenko, etc. the most. That being said, I trust Berube and his staff. I just hop the players do as well.

Go Blue!!

--------------------

last_stand

#264346 - 10/09/23 11:53 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Yes, the forward group is fine, offensively. My concern is the two way play and how they play defensively and in transition. You can’t put the puck in the net from your own end and you can’t score, if you can’t get out of your own end, though the neutral zone and get some possession time in the offensive zone. I think that is where they are going to miss guys like O’Reilly, Tarasenko, etc. the most. That being said, I trust Berube and his staff. I just hop the players do as well.

Go Blue!!

I'll remember 91 fondly but I don't think they will miss him. I have to think he was a problem in the locker room in odd ways with more than a few mates. Also odd...they played better without both O'Reilly and Senko after they were moved out.

We'll see how this all goes. Most all of the experts have this team finishing around 25th in the league.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#264347 - 10/10/23 06:55 AM

So…….does this mean the odds are against me seeing another Stanley Cup in St Louis during my lifetime?

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: wuchang]
      #264357 - 10/13/23 10:06 PM

There D was indefensible last year and there hasn't been any change. I do not see this team being any better than last year. I hope I'm wrong...

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

#264360 - 10/14/23 08:09 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
So…….does this mean the odds are against me seeing another Stanley Cup in St Louis during my lifetime?

Depends Bill… How long you planning on living? Right now, the trend is a Cup roughly every 50 years or so…

--------------------

sptsman

Re: 23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: IIFID]
      #264361 - 10/14/23 08:17 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
There D was indefensible last year and there hasn't been any change. I do not see this team being any better than last year. I hope I'm wrong...

Actually, minimal change in personnel but a huge change in defensive strategy. If the Dallas game is any indication of how it looks in the early stages of development, it may just work. Granted JB stood on his head and played a spectacular game in the net, but the D showed some discipline in implementing the system. I have the same concerns about the D, but this new D coach and Berube seem to have them bought in. I guess we’ll know in the coming months.

Looking forward to watching some games. I hope I’m not done with them by Jan-Feb like last year….

Go Blue!!

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#264362 - 10/14/23 05:32 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

wuchang said:

Depends Bill… How long you planning on living? Right now, the trend is a Cup roughly every 50 years or so…

I plan on living forever…….but realistically I doubt that I will get close to Methuselah status…….or even the century mark

But I damn sure gonna try

last_stand

#264363 - 10/18/23 09:33 AM

Game 2 D very similar to game 1....pk as well.....and that's good news.

JB on his head once again too.

They played 2 good teams.

Forward group and pp is in question but I'd rather have it that way. It's a thin group but I think they can come around once they adjust to their "new" 200 foot play.

Gonna take 20 games to know what they have (including Hofer) but so far I'm pleased.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#264368 - 10/20/23 05:03 PM

LS, are you hoping last night's 6 - 2 debacle against the Yotes was an outlier? Outshot 42 - 26 and generally dominated.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

#264369 - 10/21/23 10:00 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
LS, are you hoping last night's 6 - 2 debacle against the Yotes was an outlier? Outshot 42 - 26 and generally dominated.

Yes.

Hoping is right.

I still don't believe most of these players are performing to their mean but maybe this is what they are. It's odd it's the forward group and scoring that are the issue right now. That's where my hope lies.

I'll give them the 20 games and see....last game was a stinker now a tough challenge tonight.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#264370 - 10/21/23 10:07 PM

Good bounce back game tonight.

--------------------

last_stand

#264371 - 10/22/23 08:16 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Good bounce back game tonight.

Yup

Their best game so far...forwards came alive and JB just in the zone.

--------------------

sptsman

#264374 - 10/24/23 08:41 AM

20 games in is a good marker point. These boys are still figuring out a new D system, linemates and even teammates. It's going to take a while to gel. They just can't get in too deep of a hole in the standings.

I would say the only panic I have is the PP. It isn't that they haven't scored, its how bad they look not scoring. Slow puck movement, slow shot releases, lack of creativity, lack of net-front presence. It feels like a DII college team could defend this PP. Let's see what happens with it over the next few games. It needs to get better, waaaay better.

Go Blue!

--------------------

last_stand

#264385 - 10/24/23 06:12 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
20 games in is a good marker point. These boys are still figuring out a new D system, linemates and even teammates. It's going to take a while to gel. They just can't get in too deep of a hole in the standings.

I would say the only panic I have is the PP. It isn't that they haven't scored, its how bad they look not scoring. Slow puck movement, slow shot releases, lack of creativity, lack of net-front presence. It feels like a DII college team could defend this PP. Let's see what happens with it over the next few games. It needs to get better, waaaay better.

Go Blue!

It was better last game.

No goals but better.

I'll say this just pregame with the Jets and he's still on the bench but PUT PERUNOVICH ON THE ROSTER and let him run the #1 PP.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#264393 - 10/27/23 02:13 PM

Impressive win last night.

--------------------

last_stand

#264394 - 10/27/23 05:24 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Impressive win last night.

It's a rested Nuck team coming up on a bit of a roll.

Big test for the boys on their first back to back.

Vancouver fans have to be some of the worst hope they can gather the strength to take 'em.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#264398 - 10/28/23 09:39 PM

I can't decide if they won't shoot or they can't score.....but 2nd fewest goals scored in the Western Conference gets you a tee time in March.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

Re: 23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: griffin]
      #264408 - 10/30/23 07:52 AM

Shaky start at best.

No way they survive without more pucks in the net.

--------------------

sptsman

#264417 - 11/01/23 06:08 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Shaky start at best.

No way they survive without more pucks in the net.

Here is what baffles me. I am just a schmo watching the games and can see as clear as day what the issues are with the power play. Granted, I watch a lot of hockey but I have about 1,000th of the hockey smarts the Blues coaches have. Even if they don’t bring it up to the level it needs to be, how in the world can’t they figure out the fundamentals of running a power play? Faster puck movement, more shots on net and a netfront presence at all times… It sure looks like 5 guys go to their prescribed areas on the ice, slowly pass the puck around the perimeter and eventually turn it over when the D figures out they can attack the puck without consequences (i.e. the Blues getting a shot on net) or when one of the Blues tries to make a miracle pass through a lane that the D has 2 or 3 sticks in. I can understand a player parking at the middle or top of the faceoff circle if the were one-timing shots like Hull or Ovy. But they don’t even try the quick release shots. Sometimes I have time to refill my glass between the time a forward gets the puck and shoots. It is painful to watch.

We’ll see what happens tonight. I’m not optimistic. Hope the prove me wrong…

--------------------

last_stand

#264423 - 11/04/23 11:13 AM

PP still in the dregs. It does seem inexplicable.

But a good game last night.........seems like the team will bounce off the bottom for a while before the real team either stays there or comes up to the surface and competes.

I remain optimistic it's the latter.....barring injuries.

Habs tonight....another b to b game for the good guys be really good to win this one.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264427 - 11/06/23 10:00 PM

Only Sane Jose, who haven't won a game, have less goals scored than the Blues in the West. That's not sustainable.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

#264435 - 11/10/23 08:05 AM

I sat last night and watched almost every minute of the game. to say they were lucky to get out with a regulation time W is an understatement. This team is just not that good and needs to play a hard, disciplined 60 every game, get a few breaks and hope the better teams are not on their A game. If the Blues play their best possible game, they are still not beating half the teams in the league, when those teams are playing well.

Last night's power play was a new low. That's a new low, for a team that I thought was as low as they could go with PP performance. It was beyond bad and even embarrassing. They are dead last in the NHL with a 2.86% success rate and I think that stat does not include last night's 0 for 7 or 8 performance. Two full minutes of 5-on-3 with at least two turnovers and zero grade A scoring chances. Then another 6 or seven 5-on-4's that displayed just how lost they are on the PP. For the love of Pete, hire a PP coach that has a resume of coaching successful PP's. This is now at crisis level!! I need to do some research to see if the NHL allows declining power plays. Maybe that is the answer...

I thought the strategy of firing everything at the net and racking up SOG's, was a solid idea. The problem is this team as few players that have a balls to crash the net like they need to and the skill to be able to work effectively net-front, in those situations. Granted, the players that have that grit and skill combined are limited. But if you don't have at least one or two of them, you will never make it very far in the playoffs. Heck, you may not even make the playoffs.

Let's see what happens in Colorado Saturday night. I'm not optimistic, but hope springs eternal...

Go Blue!!

PS - Would not be opposed to trading one of those prized prospects for a valuable veteran that can help lead this team. They still seem rudderless. They gave up Tage Thompson for O'Reilly and that worked out well for both teams. Something like that might be what they need.

--------------------

last_stand

#264441 - 11/10/23 05:41 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I sat last night and watched almost every minute of the game. to say they were lucky to get out with a regulation time W is an understatement. This team is just not that good and needs to play a hard, disciplined 60 every game, get a few breaks and hope the better teams are not on their A game. If the Blues play their best possible game, they are still not beating half the teams in the league, when those teams are playing well.

Last night's power play was a new low. That's a new low, for a team that I thought was as low as they could go with PP performance. It was beyond bad and even embarrassing. They are dead last in the NHL with a 2.86% success rate and I think that stat does not include last night's 0 for 7 or 8 performance. Two full minutes of 5-on-3 with at least two turnovers and zero grade A scoring chances. Then another 6 or seven 5-on-4's that displayed just how lost they are on the PP. For the love of Pete, hire a PP coach that has a resume of coaching successful PP's. This is now at crisis level!! I need to do some research to see if the NHL allows declining power plays. Maybe that is the answer...

I thought the strategy of firing everything at the net and racking up SOG's, was a solid idea. The problem is this team as few players that have a balls to crash the net like they need to and the skill to be able to work effectively net-front, in those situations. Granted, the players that have that grit and skill combined are limited. But if you don't have at least one or two of them, you will never make it very far in the playoffs. Heck, you may not even make the playoffs.

Let's see what happens in Colorado Saturday night. I'm not optimistic, but hope springs eternal...

Go Blue!!

PS - Would not be opposed to trading one of those prized prospects for a valuable veteran that can help lead this team. They still seem rudderless. They gave up Tage Thompson for O'Reilly and that worked out well for both teams. Something like that might be what they need.

SPTSMAN....this team is not...I hope....trading a top prospect for any one "vet" right now short of some dream deal for a #1 D man that ain't likely happening.

I don't think so anyway.

The current PP is beyond embarrassing.

But......with this team you have to look at the bright side. They are just above .500.... with horrible special team play.... and key veterans under-performing....12 games in.

There's a big upside that might happen.

Maybe.

And Colorado is the place the Blues go to die. A win there would be astounding.

--------------------

sptsman

#264447 - 11/13/23 11:24 AM

Well, we can call it the miracle in Colorado. I'm guessing half the Av's lineup had the flu or something. Man, did they look bad. Of course with gambling fully integrated into sports now, you just never know when a team is going to lay down.

Even with 2 PP goals Sat night, the Blues still have more SHG's than PPG's. Not sure if that has ever happened in the NHL after 13 games.

While the Av's looked lost and lethargic, you have to give credit to the Blues for stepping up and taking it to them. And most importantly, never letting them get back in it. That's a good sign.

One game at a time now...

Go Blue!!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#264448 - 11/13/23 11:36 AM

The Av's coach ripped his players ass in a post-game interview.

--------------------

sptsman

#264449 - 11/14/23 03:40 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
The Av's coach ripped his players ass in a post-game interview.

As well he should have. That was about as bad as I’ve ever seen a team of that caliber play. Completely uninspired and lethargic. They have far too much talent to get beat like that by any team, much less the pedestrian Blues.

Tonight will be a good test. These boys have a habit of winning big and then laying and egg or two. They did it a bunch last year and few this year already. No issue if they lose a hard fought game. My fear is not giving 100% and playing undisciplined.

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#264450 - 11/14/23 09:38 PM

Blues Win 5 - 0....nuff said!

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

last_stand

Re: 23-24 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: fastman]
      #264453 - 11/16/23 09:02 AM

Right now the boys are playing post season caliber hockey.

RT and JK playing up to their contracts. JB and Hofer solid. The vets coming around to their mean which has been my contention all along.

And the D system/play is night and day versus last year. Need to keep playing Perunovich...CP looks like he's back in '19.

Let's see how they handle it on the road but not much to complain about here of recent.

Injuries/depth could be a problem once they start happening.

--------------------

fastman

#264454 - 11/16/23 05:26 PM

Sure hope the Note can start the trip with a win over the lowly sharks.
After tonite play gets tougher, but, hopefully a few more points will be added to our total.

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

Edited by fastman (11/16/23 05:27 PM)

last_stand

#264455 - 11/17/23 11:14 AM

Houston...we have a problem......

bwaaaaa

geez did they lay an egg in San Jose.

--------------------

fastman

#264456 - 11/17/23 01:43 PM

Yes indeed LS! I'm glad I was watchin boxing.

I would have liked to see Binnington get that start.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264466 - 11/20/23 05:58 PM

Slowly....this team is growing on me.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#264470 - 11/21/23 05:12 PM

Griffin,
Like a fungus?

--------------------

last_stand

#264474 - 11/22/23 03:35 PM

Perunovich finally getting his ice time. No he's not a killer D man with size but he see's the ice and makes great passes moving the puck and he's a very smart player and also a great skater. He's now on the point of the #1 PP which certainly needs his talent.

I know 18 games in this isn't do or die but be really sweet to split this road trip after blowing it in San Jose.

Big 2 points tonight.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#264475 - 11/23/23 10:55 AM

Who do these guys think they are - the mid-80's Oilers? LOL 2 more shorties?

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264479 - 11/23/23 10:10 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Griffin,
Like a fungus?

That ain't a bad way to put it. I have found it hard to be the same fan I was when I was young. For instance, I don't like Binnington....I don't even enjoy the games when he plays. That forker just annoys me.

They have shown improvement....but they still pass the damn puck too much and shoot too little. And they are still missing that big grinding winger. It's a requirement...no team wins without it. They are still 3rd from last in the West in scoring. That doesn't bode well.

But, they are back in the plus column for +/- after last night, and the 6 goal game looked good on them....so there's that. The Chief has them playing a well disciplined game....the shorty's prove it. I like Schenn with the C....a lot.

This team should make the playoffs....so I hope they make a move or two for that big corner guy on the wing.

I'm trying to like this team. There is hope.

--------------------

fastman

#264480 - 11/24/23 05:12 PM

WTF is up with jekelly & hyde chit? knot

--------------------

last_stand

#264484 - 11/27/23 05:53 PM

Quote:

fastman said:

It's not good FM, I know that.

But so far, it's happened to a lot of teams.

But I must say, with Griff just barely jumping on board...it doesn't help.

bwaaaaa

--------------------

fastman

#264487 - 11/28/23 04:26 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

fastman said:

It's not good FM, I know that.

But so far, it's happened to a lot of teams.

But I must say, with Griff just barely jumping on board...it doesn't help.

bwaaaaa

True that! lmao

And I suppose Minn. was scared of thr Blue Note & fire coach to get their players motivated tonite.

--------------------

last_stand

#264494 - 12/01/23 05:18 PM

Next 3....man the team needs 2 of them.

If they can hang until March...just even the chance to pounce.... I'd be very happy.

--------------------

sptsman

#264509 - 12/13/23 05:27 AM

Went to bed in disgust, after watching yet another collapse by a group of players that can't seem to find it in themselves to play a full, hard 60 mins. of hockey. Woke up to yet another firing of a Blues head coach, in a long list of really bad firings of head coaches. Just like so many others, this one will haunt Blues fans for at least a few years. Not 100% sure why, but this group of players seems to be a very good reflection of the twenty-somethings in general that can't seem to grasp the idea of hard work and taking direction. I'm going to struggle getting on board with this bunch, for quite some time.

Had I been the decision maker, I would have stripped Schenn of the "C" and sent a message that mediocrity is not enough. This team sorely lacks leadership in the locker room and on the ice. For players to openly say they just aren't working hard enough is an absolute embarrassment. It's bad enough to not be working hard. It's unbelievable to hear players admitting it out loud. I have to wonder if a few of these up an coming snowflakes with big contracts actually tried to get him fired.

I would not be looking for a 2019-like turnaround. This group of players just doesn't have the grit. There are a few bright spots, but waaaay too many problem children on this team. I hope I'm wrong. Only time will tell...

--------------------

last_stand

#264510 - 12/13/23 01:06 PM

Not sure why in the hell DA did this......A) Chief did not put this team together and B) He was doing as well as expected up to just a couple of game ago and C) Probably my fave coach of any STL team any sport.

More later, I'm pretty pissed right now.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#264514 - 12/14/23 07:14 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Not sure why in the hell DA did this......A) Chief did not put this team together and B) He was doing as well as expected up to just a couple of game ago and C) Probably my fave coach of any STL team any sport.

More later, I'm pretty pissed right now.

It’s the St Louis Blues organization………….it’s what they do
Kind of like "HomeofToto" City Royals of hockey

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264517 - 12/16/23 12:35 PM

The Blues have 1 player in the top 50 in goals, 2 in the top 50 in assists, and they have no goalie in the top 20 of any stat. This is not a very good team, and honestly, they aren't fun to watch. I have no problem with firing Berube.....he couldn't make this bunch care.

--------------------

last_stand

#264518 - 12/18/23 05:30 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
The Blues have 1 player in the top 50 in goals, 2 in the top 50 in assists, and they have no goalie in the top 20 of any stat. This is not a very good team, and honestly, they aren't fun to watch. I have no problem with firing Berube.....he couldn't make this bunch care.

He deserved better than what they gave him. 1 point out of play offs and they fire him. It's actually right where DA said they would likely be.

2 of your 3 points above prove it aside from the fact he was instrumental in dragging the '18 teams's sorry azz all the way to the Cup in '19.

And JB's work has been great overall. Not many goalies would do better under the circumstances.

Yes this team needs work.....where ya been? Anything they make of this year or next is gravy. I wish Bannister all the luck he can gather.

I don't know how many of the Blues years here have been "fun".

But it's hockey, it's the Blues...and I've enjoyed every one of them.

--------------------

last_stand

#264585 - 01/08/24 05:25 PM

Last 5 games against the top teams in the league and the Blues have played their best hockey of the year.

They went 3-2 but the 2 losses were games they deserved to win.

The D and goal tending have been outstanding....strangely enough it's the offense that needs a kick in the pants.

--------------------

fastman

#264661 - 02/17/24 03:55 PM

Still playin gr8!

Huge game in a minute..sure hope the B Man is in goal!

--------------------

last_stand

#264669 - 02/27/24 03:32 PM

Quote:

fastman said:
Still playin gr8!

Tough going when you come out for the puck drop without a clue.

These guys are running out of time while they fiddle their chances away.

--------------------

sptsman

#264675 - 02/28/24 02:51 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

fastman said:
Still playin gr8!

Tough going when you come out for the puck drop without a clue.

These guys are running out of time while they fiddle their chances away.

Making the trade deadline decision easy. I know most folks want them competitive all the time, but clearing cap space and racking up high draft pics is a formula that has worked to win Cups many times. Our hated rivals, the Blackhawks did it and won 3 Cups. And they're working that angle right now. See Pittsburgh, Edmonton and a few others. Of course plenty have tried that approach and failed as well. I know he catches a lot of krap, but I still think DA is the right man for the job...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264691 - 03/08/24 10:41 PM

They're not gonna make it this season. I was watching close before the all-star break and thought they were coming together. Nah.

With a +/- of -16 and less than 20 games left....turn out the lights when you leave. Same old same old.....no scoring.

Armstrong will get one more season....maybe... then he's done barring a big turnaround.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264692 - 03/10/24 01:24 AM

It's over.

--------------------

sptsman

#264700 - 03/12/24 08:07 AM

I would suggest that after this season the cupboards will be stocked pretty well and they could have a Cup contending team in the '25-'26 season. Next year a few of the 2023 draft picks might make it to the NHL for some seasoning and they can use others as chips to get the veterans they need to infill. Buchnevich will almost certainly be traded in the off-season, unless they can find a team like the Sabers or some other saps to take Kyrou. But that's unlikely. Both Binnington and Hofer could carry this team on a playoff run. Binnington has already shown it and Hofer looks to be the real deal. At $6m a year, Binnington is a steal. They could get a king's ransom for him, but that would be foolish. If they can make a playoff run next year (unlikely) or the next, he becomes invaluable. He and Robert Thomas are the best players on this team, by far!

Firing DA would be a huge mistake, unless they have a can't miss replacement.

As an added bonus, the Blackhawks will be on about the same trajectory with Bedard and whatever high pick they get this year. It could be fun to have a Blues / Blackhawks rivalry that means something again.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264702 - 03/14/24 01:15 AM

Ok, Boomer.

--------------------

Edited by griffin (03/14/24 01:16 AM)

last_stand

#264724 - 03/20/24 09:25 PM

Last night, a critical game...........Buch, Faulk and JK just bombed and that was about all it took for the skilled Avs team to take them down by a pp goal.

But what the heck I will wait for the fat lady to sing before I throw in the towel.

What 13 to go and they need to win about 10?

Go Blue Baby!

--------------------

fastman

#264734 - 03/25/24 05:30 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
It's over.

Maybe & yet maybe knot!
Last month I said something about a big game & the Bluzz fizzled.
Hope I don't jinx the boyz again tonite.

Seems to me a make or break 60 minutes.
Think I'll pray for a WIN!

--------------------

last_stand

#264736 - 03/30/24 06:31 PM

Quote:

fastman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
It's over.

Maybe & yet maybe knot!
Last month I said something about a big game & the Bluzz fizzled.
Hope I don't jinx the boyz again tonite.

Seems to me a make or break 60 minutes.
Think I'll pray for a WIN!

Fast dude we are likely down to going 9-1 to finish to have a shot.

WTFork.........I'll be watching tonight!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264748 - 04/04/24 11:28 PM

It's over.....really over.

--------------------

sptsman

#264750 - 04/05/24 09:09 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

It was really over when they lost to the Sharks, the worst team in the NHL, when it mattered if they won or lost. Not a huge fan of Drew Bannister, but not sure it really matters with this team until the '25-'26 season. Also hard to get a read on what he can do, with the current circumstances.

Ironically, the best part about this team is the goaltending. Not sure what to think about Kyrou. So far, it looks like a bad contract. He has skills and could easily score 40-50 goals a year, with the right team. But he is not a great two-way player (his +/- is sitting at -12 for this season) and his physicality is non-existent. Is that the player you want in the NHL playoffs? He's 6'-1" and listed at 196 lbs. (doubtful) and plays like he's 5'-8" and 165 lbs. Somebody needs to work with him to put on 10-15 lbs. and possibly get him a bigger set of balls. His style of play works when your pumping in 40-50 goals and racking up 100+ points a season. Then you get a few enforcers protecting you. But he likely won't hit 30 goals or 75 point this season. Possibly the most frustrating part of his game is not watching him lose so many puck battles and getting knocked off the puck, but rather, his inconsistent play. This guy just can't bring himself to show up for every game. Taking nights off in the NHL is a surefire way to get the fans booing you and teammates not respecting you. Unfortunately, I think that's where we are with JK. And we're there at $8 mil a year. UGH!!

Overall, there are some good things that came out of this season. Parayko finally found it in himself to play up to his contract. I can see him anchoring this D, Like Petro did when he was here. Robert Thomas matured a little more. As previously stated, the goaltending is mostly solid. I can see next season being another building block year, getting some of 2023 1st rounders some NHL ice time.

On a brighter note, the Cardinals are 8 games into the 2024 season and are dead last in the NL Central...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#264751 - 04/05/24 10:05 AM

If you can't score goals you can't make the playoffs.....the current roster is nowhere close to a contender, and the horses aren't there to build one. Armstrong needs to go.

--------------------

last_stand

#264759 - 04/16/24 05:47 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

It was really over when they lost to the Sharks, the worst team in the NHL, when it mattered if they won or lost. Not a huge fan of Drew Bannister, but not sure it really matters with this team until the '25-'26 season. Also hard to get a read on what he can do, with the current circumstances.

Ironically, the best part about this team is the goaltending. Not sure what to think about Kyrou. So far, it looks like a bad contract. He has skills and could easily score 40-50 goals a year, with the right team. But he is not a great two-way player (his +/- is sitting at -12 for this season) and his physicality is non-existent. Is that the player you want in the NHL playoffs? He's 6'-1" and listed at 196 lbs. (doubtful) and plays like he's 5'-8" and 165 lbs. Somebody needs to work with him to put on 10-15 lbs. and possibly get him a bigger set of balls. His style of play works when your pumping in 40-50 goals and racking up 100+ points a season. Then you get a few enforcers protecting you. But he likely won't hit 30 goals or 75 point this season. Possibly the most frustrating part of his game is not watching him lose so many puck battles and getting knocked off the puck, but rather, his inconsistent play. This guy just can't bring himself to show up for every game. Taking nights off in the NHL is a surefire way to get the fans booing you and teammates not respecting you. Unfortunately, I think that's where we are with JK. And we're there at $8 mil a year. UGH!!

Overall, there are some good things that came out of this season. Parayko finally found it in himself to play up to his contract. I can see him anchoring this D, Like Petro did when he was here. Robert Thomas matured a little more. As previously stated, the goaltending is mostly solid. I can see next season being another building block year, getting some of 2023 1st rounders some NHL ice time.

On a brighter note, the Cardinals are 8 games into the 2024 season and are dead last in the NL Central...

Cracks me up listening to you guys bash the leading goal scorer on a team that failed to score goals.

Kyrou improved his 200 foot game 2 fold this year, scored fewer goals doing it.....but the b1tching never stops. And yes he needs to still improve it some more but THAT is NOT the issue to be looking at with him or team.

He's a talented player, immature to a fault, but he's going to score goals and right now with all the b1tching his contract is in line with multiple players in the league with 30 plus goal range.

He is NOT the problem.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#264760 - 04/16/24 10:32 PM

This is where Dawg posts up the golf bag image……..unless he is in Botswana or some place killing the native wildlife

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#264761 - 04/17/24 08:57 AM

botswana

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page