CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Paul Dallas

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Scout 1]
      #186286 - 05/26/09 10:57 AM

Not a fan of the Schlafly #15 at all. One of the worst they make in my opinion. Maybe it improves with age, but I doubt it.

I had some of the Schalfly Special Export Reserve IPA this past weekend. Wasn't bad, but comes a little too close to barleywine for my liking. 2 of these and you are full and quite sleepy.

Old Chicago is a great place. Wish there was one close to the ranch.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gavin

Loc: St. Louis, MO

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #186422 - 05/28/09 12:10 PM

I'd agree with Paul...#15 contains some funky fruit and spice flavors, plus its its kinda thin and watery...I'm not a fan.

Picked up a 4 pack each of SA Imperial Stout and Dopplebock last weekend. Good stuff there, but it will fill you up quickly. Moose Drool...OK but a bit to sweet for me.

Edited by Gavin (05/28/09 12:11 PM)

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Gavin]
      #186507 - 05/29/09 05:18 PM

the local store has been carrying Blvd Pale Ale 20 pk for $18 and change. Not real hoppy, but for the price, I'll drank the chit out of it. Beats the hell out of millerbudcoors.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

HAUS
member for now

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #188441 - 07/07/09 06:05 PM

had to do inventory on the keg freezer...

New Belgium 1554 -- good cool weather black beer
New Belgium Mighty Arrow -- damn good wannabe IPA

Sam Adams Summer Sampler: Hefewiezen
Blackberry Wit
Pale Ale
Boston lager light
Summer Ale

Schlafly Kolsch -- dry excellent summer beer. a little sweeter than their Helles

Hoegaarden -- Belgian wheat that's not too damn bad

Warsteiner Dunkel -- by far one of the best German biers available

Big Sky Moose Drool

Avery Brewing IPA -- not a big fan of this batch. Tastes like bad iced tea...

Oak Aged IPA -- Homebrew
(5) 22oz bombers of Golden City Brewing Clear Creek Gold

Twisted Pine Brewing sampler :
Blonde Ale
Cream stout
Hoppy Boy IPA
Raspberry wheat
Amber ale
Honey Brown Ale
Red Mtn Ale

5 gal of GCB Clear creek gold clone -- homebrew

and to wrap up.... about 13 Budweisers for the crick...

--------------------

OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

#188489 - 07/08/09 10:45 AM

Haus - I suggest that we mix all the beer you've got, and all the beer I've got, in kegs - then chill it, pressurize it, and drink it.

I dunno just what beer style we'd end up with, but I bet we'd have a good time trying to figure that out.

HAUS
member for now

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #188624 - 07/10/09 06:59 PM

i agree. mandatory headache required, but all for a good cause...

oh yeah, found some Michelob Original Lager and Blvd Pale Ale in the pantry... Combine that with the 5 gal of IPA I brewed today and I've got some drinkin to do.

Stay cool out there. I'm headed to either the Big Sugar or Elk tomorrow. Hope the slender females feel inclined to show off their goods tomorrow...

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

#189096 - 07/20/09 10:06 AM

I hit the motherload yesterday. Added to the stash with some excellent western brews that I thought I'd never see in missourah...Grand Teton Brewing.

6 pk of New Belgium Mighty Arrow pale ale

6pk of Berghoff Prairie ale (for the wife)

6pk of Grand Teton Brewing B*tch Creek ESB

6k of Grand Teton Brewing Sweetgrass IPA

Now if I can get a 1/6th barrel keg of their Fest Bier shipped to MO.

--------------------

Bandito

Loc: The Lair

#189309 - 07/24/09 08:45 AM

Haus, where the hell were you around the 4th?? I was down in the land of the Wildcats... went down to the HS on the night of the 2nd... right after they got through rolling new sod on the rock garden... to watch the sprinlers and drink a few beers with some of the boys I hadn't seen in ages... Rob Thogmartin, Todd Tyler, Mike Spiva, Brett Day, Scott Wolf, Les Rainwater. Had a helluva good time. You shoulda been there.

--------------------
With my new york brim and my gold tooth displayed,
Nobody give me trouble cause they know I got it made.

HAUS
member for now

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Bandito]
      #189328 - 07/24/09 12:07 PM

I was down on my ranch lighting the valley up with fireworks... We had 40+ people not counting kids down. A couple dudes brought in $700 worth of big cannons to shoot off. If I woulda known you were going to be down, I'd a told when to come.

Yes, the "rock garden" is no more... those kids now are forkin spoilt.

all them names you spit out... dayum they're so much older than me...

--------------------

Paul Dallas

#189977 - 08/06/09 10:45 AM

Been a travellin man of late. Samplin draft beers anywheres they be pourin em.

Southern beers -
Sweetwater Brewing IPA -- tasty, but a bit light on the hops for an imperial i thought. Had quite a few down on the 30-A strip as there wasn't much else to choose from. Mrs. Dallas enjoyed the Sweetwater Blueberry Wheat - had a sip and stuck to my IPA.

Abita Jockamo IPA -- good one. Close to Torpedo, but not quite.

Lion Stout - from Sri Lanka, dam good stout. Full tilt stuff, heavy on the chocolate and toffee, and can only drink about 2 before you want to sleep deeply. Got 7 or 8 left in the fridge.

half-dozen other beers that I can't seem to think of right now

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

#189995 - 08/06/09 02:14 PM

I had some of that Sweetwater IPA when I was in the Charlotesville VA area a couple of months ago... that is a solid offering they have there.
A Sri Lanka stout? How's that for obscure... now we're talking!!

Just got back from a week in Wisconsin... Stuck with Spotted Cow and Leinenkugal Creamy Dark Lagers for the most part. New Glarus Brewing needs to get on board with more more more... more malt and more hops please! Did not get a chance to hit Great Dane for their Imperial... one of my favorites.

Now that I'm back home and settling into my rut, I've stocked up on a case of Single Wide, a sixer each of Sierra Nevada stout and Cutthroat Porter. Also some Peroni lager for the boat.
For tonight, a bottle of Rogue Mocha Stout before bed.

I still owe a report on Taney County's own Cedar Creek Brewing... one of these days.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

#190019 - 08/06/09 08:41 PM

Quote:

Paul Dallas said:
Lion Stout - from Sri Lanka, dam good stout.

I've never had that one - but did ya ever notice how former British colonies still tend to brew good English/Irish/Scots beer styles?

I think that's interesting. Beer styles carry on in other unexpected ways too - like with Mexico still making German Oktoberfests 'cause the Krauts built their breweries and taught 'em to brew while trying to get the Mexicans into WWI on the German side.

The original people who started it are all dead, but the preference for certain kinds of beer in different places carries down through the generations. In fact, mainstream American beer started with all those German brewers who immigrated here in the 1870's - hot to trot with that brand-new "lager" brewing process from the homeland.

That stuff's kinda fun to ponder while sipping on a cold one.

Paul Dallas

#190049 - 08/07/09 09:48 AM

Yeah, that is interesting. You don't think of Sri Lanka when you think of beer, but as you said, british colony explains a lot.

Sam Adams Imperial Series Double Bock - bought a 4 pack last night for $10. Thought it would be a nice thirst quencher after my sons soccer practice, but after the 1st sip I remembered why I don't drink heavy beers in the summer. MALT bomb is an understatement. Even the label on the back reads, "Sam Adams Double Bock is brewed with a half pound of malt in each bottle, almost enough for a loaf of bread . . ." Forced myself to finish it, but it almost made me sick.

Schlafly Pilsner - had a couple of these to try and warsh the malt from the back of my throat, but it never did. Tasted just fine for a yellow beer, but nothing special.

Forsythian

#190053 - 08/07/09 10:57 AM

Find a nice dark corner in the basement for that SA double bock, then break it out around Christmas time!

How do your hop vines look nowadays? Even tho I don't brew, I'm thinking of growing some next summer just for sh!ts & grins.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #190054 - 08/07/09 11:22 AM

Hops were going crazy up until about a month ago, especially on the Cascade vine. But then a bunch of the cones turned brown and dried up, and now I have quite a few new smaller, newer cones that blossomed in the lower part of the vine. I'm thinking of getting out the ladder and plucking the brown cones off and it may help the smaller new buds along. Despite that, I should still be able to easily fill 2-3 gallon ziplocs on that vine.

The Magnum did much the same, but almost ALL of its cones withered crispy brown and for the most part, the vine looks like chit, and it pretty much quit growing at about 15 ft. I don't think I have a single good bud from it. But when I crumble these crispy hops, the yellow lupulin glands are all there and just as musky and waxy and fresh smelling as the green buds. I wonder if I can use them? Oz?

My best research has turned up that my hops probably have Downy Mildew disease, but who knows. Weather has been strange this year, then came the aphids, and then Japanese beetles did some damage. I never did much fertizling or watering other than some manure back in the early spring.

I'm thinking some varieties do better for our climate than others.

HAUS
member for now

#190327 - 08/12/09 10:14 PM

i just finished kegging a dry hopped ipa. cleaning out the hop bag.. wet hops up to the forearms... mmmmm.. what a glorious aroma.

p diddy, i saw your post about the hops. i've got first yr vines. my cascades made it about 12 ft before shutting down and flowering out. nugget had a bad start of the yr. forkin dog dug up the rhizome twice, so it was behind the other two. then when it was about 2ft tall, either the wind or the kids pulled the good vine out, so it had to start over. well, it has since sent one up about 14' and is now coned out nicely. the centennials got whacked by some varmint kid during 4th of july festivities and are out for the year. (maybe for good). i've had to spray mine twice for a black looking worm. other than that, no problems with the jap beetles.

--------------------

Paul Dallas

#190398 - 08/14/09 08:32 AM

Wow, Haus, yours did great for 1st year vines. Just wait till next year, its going to be Little Shop of Horrors. Homebrewed dry-hopped IPA, eh? I love that beer. I can smell the hops from here. You got me motivated to brew up a batch if I can just find the time.

How big did your cones get? I have a few on the Cascade that got as long as my thumb, but most are about half that size. I think my biggest mistake was waiting too long to pick all the ones that turned brown, but the 2nd wave of buds is still growing and I won't make that mistake again. They should be ready to pick in a couple more weeks.

HAUS
member for now

#190404 - 08/14/09 10:26 AM

i've got a few cones like yours, kinda of papery thin and starting to brown. i've pulled a couple off and there's not much to them. they didn't look worth keeping.
the cascades are probably 3/4" long and the nugget are around 1" - 1.25" long. they're quite a bit larger than the cascades.
like yours, the bottom third to half are going nuts again now. I had been trimming those "suckers" off when the main vine was going up so they wouldn't hold it back, but since the main vine has quit growing, i'm just going to let the bottoms do what they want.
I wasn't expecting much this year.. just being able to pull a cone off and smell it is pleasure enough..

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

#194341 - 10/19/09 03:49 PM

need to revive this thing...

corny keg of homebrewed kolsch
2 cases of homebrewed oktoberfest
case of sam adams oktoberfest
what's left of a 12pk of Deschutes Inversion IPA
6pk of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin ale
3 bottles of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
2 bottles of O'Fallon's Gold (wife)
And I picked up a 15pk of Bud in aluminum bottles. I'm going to stock up on these so I can put homebrew in them for the creek. They cap up right nice...

--------------------

OzarkModerator

#194345 - 10/19/09 04:36 PM

You're right, we oughta keep this thread going.

Let's see, right now:

Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale
Anchor Old Foghorn Barleywine
Anchor Holiday Ale, 2007
Shiner Commemorator Dopplebock (I keep hoping Shiner has made some good beer. I was wrong again.)
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, 2007
Michelob Dunkelweisse (tastes like bubblegum)
Steel Reserve (for a quick warm-up)
Milwaukee's Best (for fishing, lawn mowing, and friends who can't appreciate the good stuff)
Sam Adams Brown Ale
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Mendocino Spring Bock
Imperial Porter - homebrew on tap
Yellow Dog Lager - homebrew on tap
Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout (Sam Adams is better)
Right now, I'm mostly enjoying the two cases of Spring (burp) Bock I got cheap at Brown Derby.

Oh, and I've about 10 different 22-oz. bottles of rare California microbrew beers in my shop, not in the 'fridge yet.

Forsythian

#194404 - 10/20/09 12:10 PM

Let's see how good my memory is:
6pk SA cream stout (haven't sampled it yet)
case (minus several) of SN anniversary ale
6pk (minus 1 or 2) SN stout
6pk (minus 1 or 2) SN torpedo
2 bottles Founders breakfast stout
6pk (minus 1 or 2) Founders dark bastard ale
6pk (minus 1 or 2) Rogue Porter
1 or 2 bottles Rogue brutal bitter
2 8-packs of a canned German beer (16 oz or better) the name of which escapes me, in reserve for a float trip.
plus countless odds and ends, poker-night leftovers mostly.

Edit: The German canned beer is "Bitburger" or some such... last night I was in the neighborhood and picked up a 4 pack of Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout, and a sixer of a new Czech pilsner what name escapes me.

Geez, I'm done now, I'm buying them faster than I'm drinking 'em

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Edited by Forsythian (10/21/09 10:30 AM)

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #194709 - 10/23/09 08:30 PM

New Belgium Hoptober -- not bad at all. Five hops and fourt malt varieties in a light golden ale. Its got an upfront bite that lingers a bit, but this sixer will soon be a goner in the Dallas Fridge. Probably within the next 15 minutes.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#194716 - 10/23/09 09:24 PM

I've been off all week after surgery last Friday.......I can now report......"they're all dead, sir, all of them. There's nothing left."

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: griffin]
      #194770 - 10/24/09 09:17 PM

Surgery? What kind? Thought I read something about your wedding tackle bein in peril. Never good.

That shittin your waders story killed me. Funniest story I ever read.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#194812 - 10/25/09 07:27 PM

I had THREE hernias....double on the right and single on the left.....one day I may be able to write about how big, sore, and bruised your nuts get afterward....but not before the PTSD wears off.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page