CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Gavin

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: fish]
      #199032 - 01/25/10 12:29 PM

The Noble Pils was just OK...Good hop note and some malt to balance it out. Good down the hatch beer but it lacked body.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shovel_Head

Reged: 09/24/09
Loc: A Duck Park Near You....

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: fish]
      #199193 - 01/28/10 11:11 PM

Ziegenbock
LoneStar Light
PBR
MGD

For the wife:
Jose Cuervo Margarita Mini's
Smirnoff Ice

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Shovel_Head]
      #199418 - 02/03/10 11:51 AM

Another candy store run:

6 pk of New Belgium Ranger IPA

6 pk of Lagunitas Brown Shugga -- love the label on this one. It reads "We believe this Special Ale is Something Unique, Feeding Brown Cane Sugar to otherwise Cultured Brewery Yeast is a'kin to feeding Raw Shark to your Gerbil. It is unlikely to ever occur in nature without Human Intervention. And it looks weird besides. But it has happened and now it's too late". 9.84% abv, 51 IBU

6 pk of Caldera IPA in cans for float trip

12 pk of Fat Tire in cans for float trip

Edited by Paul Dallas (02/03/10 12:01 PM)

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #199420 - 02/03/10 12:14 PM

float trip in the snow sounds perfect right now.

a guy here at work was talking about it a few weeks ago. just can't find time to make it work. wish the wood stove could cut & split it's own wood.

i've been collecting aluminum bottles of bud & bud light. a good bench capper will cap those bottles. i'm going to put some homebrew in them soon for this summer at the river. you ought to give it a try.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #199421 - 02/03/10 12:28 PM

should be a good time, although I wish the temps were a little colder so the rain they're callin for would be all snow

I've thought about bottling homebrew into those aluminum bottles, but always been too lazy. Heck, I need to get busy and brew something. All my hops I picked in Sept and put into freezer bags probably aren't no good anymore.

RafeHollister

Loc: Webb City, MO

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #199686 - 02/08/10 03:59 PM

The Leinenkugel's streak continues. Last Thursday I picked up a 6'er each of Honey Weiss and 1888 Bock. The Honey Weiss is a little bitter, but still a quality brew. The 1888 Bock is an awesome bulky dark piece of Heaven. I have yet to find an offering from Leinie's that I don't love.

--------------------
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

3s

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: SE IL

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: RafeHollister]
      #199704 - 02/09/10 06:03 AM

Quote:

RafeHollister said:
The Leinenkugel's streak continues. Last Thursday I picked up a 6'er each of Honey Weiss and 1888 Bock. The Honey Weiss is a little bitter, but still a quality brew. The 1888 Bock is an awesome bulky dark piece of Heaven. I have yet to find an offering from Leinie's that I don't love.

Bought a 12 pack sample with red ale, 1888 bock, creamy dark ale, and another (I think amber ale. The creamy dark is real good I thought and agree on the 1888. Can't say the red really jumped up an grabbed me but still a decent brew.

OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: 3s]
      #199714 - 02/09/10 08:57 AM

The contemptible scoundrels at Price Cutter were out of Sam Adams Cream Stout yesterday, so I bought a sixer of Guinness Draft instead.

I had a bottle last night and yep, the Cream Stout is better. I like the little nitrogen bubbles from the fizzer in the Guinness, though.

Man, it's 11 degrees out there and the roads are kinda icy. I don't want to drive up to the north store, so I guess I'll have to go without Cream Stout for another day. I'll get through this, somehow.

Shovel_Head

Reged: 09/24/09
Loc: A Duck Park Near You....

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #199717 - 02/09/10 09:19 AM

Quote:

Ozark said:
The contemptible scoundrels at Price Cutter were out of Sam Adams Cream Stout yesterday, so I bought a sixer of Guinness Draft instead.

I had a bottle last night and yep, the Cream Stout is better. I like the little nitrogen bubbles from the fizzer in the Guinness, though.

Man, it's 11 degrees out there and the roads are kinda icy. I don't want to drive up to the north store, so I guess I'll have to go without Cream Stout for another day. I'll get through this, somehow.

Not a big fan of the nitrogen bubbles...

but thats just me....

HAUS
member for now

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Shovel_Head]
      #199942 - 02/12/10 06:48 PM

thought about making a seperate thread for this, but usually no one replies, so here ya go.

Schlafly Scotch ale

Only had one scotch ale before this one (Sam Adams) and was hoping for some smoked malt. Didn't read up prior to buying. No smoke in this one, but not disappointed.
Mahagony in color. Sweet malt, caramel, some nuttiness. No nasty aftertaste. Just good, sweet, smooth malt. Reminds me a lot of Sam Adams Irish Red and Gordon Biersch's Maibock.
This ain't one for the hop heads unless you're looking for a chg of pace.
Good stuff!

Oh yeah, Ranger IPA been sold out down here, but New Belgium's Mighty Arrow is back out. Cascades and lots of Amarillo hops. Not your normal grapefruit, pine needle hop bomb. More of a mellow, grassy style of pale ale. Still hoppy, just not the puckering wow kind...

Drink up boys!

--------------------

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

#200038 - 02/14/10 08:17 PM

Found the Ranger IPA that's been talked about... it is clear, decent head, good lacing, but it's a bit too "floral" for my taste. Give me the Single-Wide any day over this one.
Here's one to look up, if you got the stones for it... Big Sky "Bobo's Robust Porter"- holy mackeral is this beer chewy and earthy and just plain huge. It's "only" 6.2% abv, but it must have a week's worth of calories per 12 oz glass. If you like serious black beers, you'll like this one.
carry on ya bunch of lushes

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #200041 - 02/14/10 09:50 PM

I picked up some Mighty Arrow tonight Haus.....I'm enjoying them.

When I find that Ranger.......I'm not gonna remember it.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: griffin]
      #200053 - 02/15/10 09:35 AM

Lukas had plenty of the Ranger, but I'm with Forsythian, there are too many other BETTER IPA's to choose from like Single Wide, Torpedo, Schlafly APA, O'Fallon 5 day, etc. Finished my last Ranger last night and I'm convinced that the folks at New Belgium are dry-hopping with Halls Cough Drops.

Its okay I guess, but not one to seek out. A little too thin in body, and the weird cough-drop hops flavor is all I taste.

OzarkModerator

#200057 - 02/15/10 10:32 AM

The store had a new foo-foo beer yesterday - Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale, so I brought a sixer home.

The blurb on the label said "An auburn colored brew with a smooth robust taste, full of rich aromas, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops". "Winter Ale aged on Bourbon Oak Casks and Whole Madagascar Vanilla Beans. 6.0% alcohol".

Well, it's the prettiest clear brown/red color I ever saw in a beer. I tried for years to get that beautiful color in a homebrewed beer by using all kinds of specialty grains, but I never quite achieved it.

Ya don't suppose AB would add a little red food color to a brew, do you? Nah.

That's it - the color's the best thing about it. I didn't notice any bourbon flavor, but there's a strong aftertaste of vanilla!
Yecch - if you want that, just pour some cream soda in your beer.

Dam' major breweries pretending to brew craft beers. I washed the taste out of my mouth with a Sam Adams Cream Stout, and went to bed.

Paul Dallas

#200067 - 02/15/10 12:52 PM

Yeah, I've had that AB Winter Bourbon Cask stuff and it was way overdone on the vanilla bean flavor and I couldn't taste any of the bourbon oak nonsense.

Got a lonely bottle of Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown Ale in the fridge that I can't bring myself to drink -- tastes like marshmallows and cream soda.

Forsythian

#200093 - 02/15/10 08:00 PM

It's a Peroni night tonight... watching the olympics has me inspired, and Peroni's is a good exercise beer.

Forsythian's gonna get himself ripped by Spring. All the babes at the Bright Elbow boat launch will be amazed.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

#200117 - 02/16/10 10:18 AM

Quote:

Forsythian said:
Forsythian's gonna get himself ripped by Spring. All the babes at the Bright Elbow boat launch will be amazed.

Yep, the lean, mean fishin' machine's gonna impress the launch ramp lot lizards - that's a well-known place for scantily-clad women to congregate.

Actually, the few heifers I've seen around K Dock (100+ pounds overweight, wading in wet t-shirts with a foot of fat belly showing, generic-brand cigarettes dangling from their lips) have been just about enough to turn me off wimmen for life.

HAUS
member for now

#200130 - 02/16/10 01:42 PM

I got a chance finally to try the Ranger and like the others, it's okay. Nothing spectacular. The finish is weird. It just doesn't quit. I'm used to good ipa's to drop off pretty quick.
Smells alot like the Mighty Arrow, hints of grassy hops, but mostly citrus. I thought it tasted pretty similar to Single Wide, but Single Wide finishes a lot better.

Anyway, here's another for you boys to search out... Breckenridge Brewing has come out with another IPA called Lucky U IPA. I haven't found it down here yet, but I'm looking. If someone gets some, post up.

--------------------

RafeHollister

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #200131 - 02/16/10 01:57 PM

HAUS, in the interest of science & the public good, I'll stop by a couple places on the way home tonight looking for Breckenridge.

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

#200132 - 02/16/10 02:21 PM

Thanks Rafe. I checked Macadoodles Sunday and didn't see any.

--------------------

Forsythian

#200923 - 03/04/10 08:45 PM

Another trip to the candy store, and another batch of new brews to try.
Sierra Nevada has a new batch of Glissade spring bock, and it's pretty decent. I'm not usually big on this style (ever since an unfortunate bout with Paulaner's overload), but this one is subtle and balanced.
The other one for tonight is Left Coast Acme California IPA... this one is pretty mellow for an IPA, kind of blurring the line between an IPA and an APA. It's a very easy drink, and I appreciate the lack of crappie bed, but it's a little light on the hops.

Still to come: Shafley Irish Stout, Founder's Centennial IPA, and Scrimshaw Pilsner.

mmmmmmmmm beer

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Paul Dallas

#201061 - 03/07/10 08:51 PM

Keg has been dry for over a month, and lenten sobriety started to ketch up to ole Paul. So I took her in for an exchange on Friday. Choices were Bud, Bud Select, Bud Light, Amberbock, Hoegaarden, 2 or 3 varieties of Schlafly, Fat Tire, some other crap, and a lonely 1/6th barrel of Ranger. Grouchy as I was, tonto whispered in my ear to go for the lone Ranger and hi-ho silver we were away.

Hopin it was better on draft, and it is, but its still a weird IPA. Almost gold in color, light bodied, and minty hoppy. This beer would taste better in the heat of summer. Goes well with a NY strip on the grill though.

RafeHollister

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #201105 - 03/08/10 01:29 PM

Another Leinenkugel's has entered my rotation. Classic Amber is hoppy and tasty. It goes down really easy. Also picked up Sam Adams Cream Stout on Sunday, but haven't tried it yet. $6.49 for a 6'er of it, so I couldn't turn it down.

--------------------

Edited by RafeHollister (03/08/10 01:35 PM)

Forsythian

#201114 - 03/08/10 06:03 PM

Boys, I gotta say the Sierra Nevada Glissade spring bock really grew on me. Standing in front of the fridge, with lots to choose from, and I drained that sixer in no time. Seek it out, you won't be disappointed.
Sam Adams Noble Pils is similar, but honestly it doesn't have the complexity that the Glissade has.

Also tried Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball... bleh... it's a weird beer. High ABV (mebbe 8.5%), but "thin" and sweet. Nasty IMO.

The Shafley Irish stout is a nice beer. To me it seems hoppier than most stouts, but it's a real easy drink. I'll buy it again, but I feel it in the morning more than most.

IPA's? Lately I've been through Ranger, Torpedo, Centennial, Left Coast, Big Sky, and etc... and I gotta say Boulevard Single Wide is still my go-to. Which is nice.

Anybody have the Big Sky Bobo's Porter yet? Beuller?

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

RafeHollister

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #201156 - 03/09/10 11:56 AM

SA Cream Stout was my dessert last night. It may become my breakfast, lunch & dinner, too. That's some good stuff.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6011 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page