CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Jayhawk
Triton kicks Rangers Ass

Reged: 12/14/05

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #217357 - 05/03/11 01:13 PM

dude, I told you all before, Natty is simply a driving/crappie cleaning beer. It has no place in the home. However, that Bigfoot looks like some heavy chit...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

#217372 - 05/03/11 08:16 PM

Blvd Single Wide
Blvd Bully Porter
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone IPA
SA Noble Pils
Big Sky Porter
Guinness Stout
Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
Odds&Ends of Tall Grass and Flying Dog

This list reads like a cry for help!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

RafeHollister

Loc: Webb City, MO

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #217391 - 05/04/11 07:04 AM

Picked up a 6er of O'Fallon IPA last night. I'll try one tonight and give you a report tomorrow.

--------------------
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: RafeHollister]
      #217394 - 05/04/11 07:27 AM

Quote:

RafeHollister said:
Picked up a 6er of O'Fallon IPA last night. I'll try one tonight and give you a report tomorrow.

making a clone of that exact beer for a friend in a few weeks. i'm providin equipment and advice.

here's the recipe he sent me so i could order the stuff for him. i've not had it, but he likes it:

10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
Hop Schedule

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

RafeHollister

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #217448 - 05/05/11 07:50 AM

O'Fallon IPA is alright. Compared to Boulevard Single Wide and SA Latitude 48, it's pretty plain and watery. I don't figure I'll buy it again.

--------------------

3s

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: SE IL

#217451 - 05/05/11 10:54 AM

What's in the fridge???? A whole lot less than I started the week with

Several Lat 48's died along with Titan IPA, Mojo, Mojo Rizin, Ole Rasputin, Shiner Boch, Fat Tire, 1554, and several others.. guess that leaves

Kwak
Trappist Rochoret (sp) No. 8
Hoegardden Gran Cru
Few Boston Lagers
Single wide (will die tonight)

Time for a mix a six run

Jayhawk
Triton kicks Rangers Ass

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: 3s]
      #217457 - 05/05/11 03:48 PM

Just bought some of the Titan IPA... Good chit... Am beginning to appreciate the oakey taste. Won't buy anymore at $10 a sixer, but its good...

Also bought a sixer of Flying Dog IPA. Not bad either... 60 IBUs, but felt a little stronger than that...

OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Jayhawk]
      #217476 - 05/06/11 09:16 AM

Quote:

Jayhawk said:
Just bought some of the Titan IPA... Good chit... Am beginning to appreciate the oakey taste.

The thing that kinda offends me about modern American "India Pale Ales" (including Single Wide) is the absence of oak in 'em. That's the only thing that makes an IPA different from just a hellacious overhopped light or amber ale.

The original brews from around 1800 got the oak flavor from being shipped to British troops in India in oak barrels - a long voyage in a sailing ship. They didn't taste like oak when they left England, but they did when they got there.

I've made IPA's, including one that won a national trophy. The way to do it right is to throw some sanitized white oak chips in the secondary fermenter and give it a long aging time before bottling. That adds several months to the process, and the breweries ain't gonna do it. There's a couple of English ones that still use oak chips - I think Samuel Smith is one.

The other way to do it is to add a little "oak flavor extract" to the brew before bottling. Homebrew shops carry the extract - it's a clear liquid, it comes in little plastic bottles, and a little goes a long ways. I'm not familiar with Titan IPA, but if it's got an oak flavor that's probably what they're doing.

I've wondered why the other American "IPA" brewers are leaving the oak out. It's kind of a strange flavor in beer, and maybe they figure customers wouldn't like it (I do). Whatever - the beers they're making aren't really IPA's without it.

I've known some beer geeks in homebrew clubs to carry a bottle of oak flavor extract in their pocket and add a couple of drops to a glass of beer before they drink it. That's kinda anal, but I've been thinking about getting some and putting a couple of drops in Single Wide - just to remember what an IPA really tastes like.

That'd be better than paying $10 a sixer for someone to add those two drops per glass for me.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #217509 - 05/07/11 08:58 AM

Ozark! Kick a man when he's down! They say Bull Shoals will hit 696 on Wednesday, not a launch ramp in sight, and now you're doggin' my single wide!
I got into some fizzy Bully Porter last night... I guess the bottle-fermentation got a little out of whack, and you gotta open it over the sink. Still, you have to hand it to Boulevard Brewing for having the balls to bottle it that way. I'm a fan.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #217510 - 05/07/11 09:15 AM

Quote:

Forsythian said:
I got into some fizzy Bully Porter last night... I guess the bottle-fermentation got a little out of whack, and you gotta open it over the sink.

Well, yeah. In Forsyth, the store probably sold 37,000 cases of Bud Light while that bottle-conditioned six-pack of Bully Porter sat on the shelf for two years!

696', huh? That's impossible to fish - there's places where I could take my boat 1/4 mile out in the woods at that water level. The fish are gonna be out where the deer usually roam in the heavy brush, eating bugs and worms.

I'm thinking, though, that my best-ever trips for walleyes were out of K Dock the year the lake was 22 feet high in June. I was trolling those plugs just outside the land-bush line on Mincy Flat. I had to put the boat in at the dip where the high and low roads to the ramp split, which worked just fine. I got limits of good keepers several trips in a row.

So if they let the water go down 20 feet by then, and if it should be around 675' in June .......

Original_Al

Loc: Most dangerous city in America

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
      #219158 - 06/07/11 08:19 PM

Fixing to hit the beer store on Saturday for a few make your own sampler sixers. Stone IPA and a bunch of others on my list of chit to try.

Need to make some room in the fridge, found some Schlafly Irish Stout from a few months ago way in the back. I wasn't a big fan when I first picked this up, but it's tasting pretty good tonight. Maybe just a welcome relief for the taste buds after being burned out on hops recently

--------------------
I Ain't Gone To Bed With No Ugly Women, But I've Sure Woke Up With A Few

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Original_Al]
      #219166 - 06/07/11 10:00 PM

I said I wouldn't do it at nearly $10.00 per sixer.....but everything I've tried with the name Stone on it the last few weeks is killer.....and trust me....more then a few tens have flown out of my pocket.

I wish I'd have never seen that crap.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

3s

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: SE IL

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: griffin]
      #219176 - 06/08/11 05:03 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
I said I wouldn't do it at nearly $10.00 per sixer.....but everything I've tried with the name Stone on it the last few weeks is killer.....and trust me....more then a few tens have flown out of my pocket.

I wish I'd have never seen that crap.

griffin

Heard that

HAUS
member for now

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: 3s]
      #219304 - 06/10/11 01:57 PM

kegged up 5 gal of Honey Blonde Ale last week that is leaving the keg pretty quick via the wife.

most blonde ales i have tried, i never liked the way they tasted, so i created my own monster.

when i first made this last year, i put a pound of raw honey in the kettle at the end of the boil. the pure, simple sugar of honey made the abv jump and created a dry beer. i was looking for honey-type, sweet flavor. i quit using raw honey after that first batch and have gone with honey malt. i started out using a half pound, but am now up to a full pound. It sure smells good in the mash and after a week or so in the keg, the sweetness really turns on.

good lawn mower beer @ 5.7% abv.

--------------------

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

#219809 - 06/24/11 03:27 PM

Just back from Shop N Save. 2 sixers of Schlafly Special Release American IPA which I didn't even know was out again. They had 2 more sixers that I shoulda bought because I'm sure it will sell out quick.

Kingsford being lit in t-minus 30 minutes and counting. Steaks and beer. mmmm

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #219837 - 06/25/11 04:29 PM

PD - you is late.....Special Release has been out for over a month.....or 29 hangovers...whichever occurs first.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Original_Al

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #220116 - 06/29/11 08:40 PM

Finally got those mix n match 6ers I was wanting. Got a lot of them too. It's easier not to drink a ton of beer every night when you ain't got a ton to drink. Load your fridge w/ a bunch of good beers and a ton of variety and you'll really be testing your will power.

Every beer Stone beer I've tried so far has been great. They've got this deal pretty well figured out.

--------------------

Original_Al

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
      #220117 - 06/29/11 08:42 PM

Also, Jockomo, the IPA from Abita is damn good. I'll be buying a bunch of this in the future

--------------------

RafeHollister

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #220365 - 07/07/11 09:09 AM

I have Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Boulevard Boss Tom Bock in the fridge. I keep some Leinie's on had through the summer and it's a great lemon beer for the hot days. This was my first Boss Tom Bock and I loved it. I've never disliked a bock.

--------------------

OzarkModerator

#220369 - 07/07/11 10:48 AM

I've got to go to Nixa this afternoon, and I'll pick up a case of Genesee Cream Ale at Brown Derby to stock the 'fridge.

Genesee is a minor upstate New York beer that's been around since the 1930's - it's got adjuncts (corn) in it for sure, and it's kinda malty, kinda smooth, decent hops, kinda low carbonation. I'm not saying it's a real wonderful high-quality brew, ya understand - it'd probably get about a C+ in a beer competition.

But for a hot-weather "lawnmower" beer, I like it a lot better than any of the big-brewer MillerBud offerings. I think it's fermented with ale yeast alright, and the "cream" refers to the smooth finish - it goes down real easy. Besides, it's got a purty label. Cold and wet, it suits me real well in the summertime!

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: fish]
      #220588 - 07/14/11 12:53 PM

ouch!

I'm buying all ther Titan!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

swampy
stirrer of chit

Loc: Valhalla

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Bubba]
      #220791 - 07/23/11 08:51 PM

have some Spotted Cow in the fridge since the cousins from Wisconsin came to town and I had them pick some up for me. if you are up that way pick up a sixer it is good beer.

--------------------
Honorary VP 10/90 deer club

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: swampy]
      #220957 - 07/29/11 02:08 PM

Summer's over! Well, not quite, but Sam Adams Oktoberfest just appeared in the stores and a 12-pack is residing in my 'fridge. Woo-hoo!

Jim Koch can keep his Summer Ale and "grains of paradise", but that Oktoberfest - well, now....

HAUS
member for now

#220963 - 07/29/11 03:11 PM

damn!! not even august, but i ain't gonna complain. thanks for the heads up

--------------------

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

#220965 - 07/29/11 04:25 PM

Full Sail Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Summer Lager, Blue Paddle Pilsner

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2782 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176942

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page