CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Forsythian

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Nether Regions

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #221120 - 08/04/11 08:48 PM

I've been in Milwaukee for a week now... have been enjoying a nice little microbrewery called Sprecher. They're actually more well-known locally for their root beer, but they make some nice beer. My favorite is a rye IPA, and they've got a nice Oktoberfest as well.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #221337 - 08/16/11 08:06 AM

just got back from colorado. spent about a week out there at 9500'. took a day and went north to visit my sis, bro-in-law, niece & nephew.

we headed north from their place and hit four breweries in ft collins and then oskar blues in longmont. the next day, we took the mtn route back to the cabin and hit tommyknocker in idaho spgs. skipped the breweries in dillon and frisco and finished up in breckenridge brewery before heading home.

had a good run of luck in breckenridge. got there in time for happy hr. $2 pints and half price appetizers and after we ordered, the waitress came by & asked if i would be interested in a pitcher of ipa for free?
does a hobby horse have a wooden dick??

i won't list all the beers i had, but the highlights were a black ipa @ tommyknocker,
the myrcenary double ipa @ o'dells,
the 1900 amber ale @ ft collins brewing and of course a favorite, the gordon (g'knight) double red ale @ oskar blues.

brought home a 12 pk sampler from deschutes brewing in oregon.. their summer ale is pretty good & the best of the bunch.

if any of you head out west, i highly recommend stopping by the tasty weasel @ oskar blues brewery. 55 gal barrels of peanuts and the beers are awesome... gordon, ten fidy & gubna.. all imperial style beers..
(if i could post pics on here, i would)

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Shovel_Head

Reged: 09/24/09
Loc: A Duck Park Near You....

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #221707 - 08/30/11 09:48 PM

Just Lawnmower beer this summer. (bud light/ coors light)

Soon to be SA Octoberfest and Cream Stout..

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Shovel_Head]
      #221708 - 08/30/11 10:22 PM

just tapped a 1/2 barrel of red snapper to get me through until it rains or the mosquitos quit drillin, which'er comes first, could be a while.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

#221774 - 09/02/11 11:38 AM

Red snapper? Never heard of it (other than the punchline about the girl who went fishing with 3 guys). What's the style?

Joining the masses at Table Rock this weekend, largely against my will. I have about a hundred Budweisers on deck for courage, along with 2 sixers of Big Sky IPA to pre-emptively numb the pallet each day.

I'll see all you Eastsiders and your water-plowing wake-pushing behemoths on the lake. Can't wait until you winterize!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #221775 - 09/02/11 12:12 PM

Red Snapper is redneck slang for regular ole Budweiser. Giant gulps of it will be hitting the back of my throwt here in a couple hours.

Good luck on TR. Sister just invited me down there to join them at the State Park for one last hurrah of summer, but I'm stacked up with jr's little league tournament. Have a good one!

OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

#221776 - 09/02/11 12:49 PM

Now P.D. - that's just hurtful. You mentioned a phrase that's very sensitive for me.

I once met two female employees who I was supervising at a seafood restaurant for supper. One of them looked at the menu and asked "what's a Red Snapper?"

Next thing I knew I had a complaint filed against me and a come-to-jesus meeting with my boss. Apparently that county sexual harassment reg has NO sense of humor!

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #222690 - 10/04/11 06:09 PM

At Price Cutter, I picked up a sixer of Big Sky Brewing Company's "Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout". It's pretty good - I'd rate it about a "B".

The best thing about it is the label. The label shows a lazy-looking, fat, white-face Hereford cow, sporting a set of elk antlers tied on with a rope! I guess that's a "slow elk" in Missoula, Mt.

Shovel_Head

#222730 - 10/05/11 09:36 PM

Sam Adams Octoberfest! And got the wife some of the Special Edition Pumkin Woodchuck which is 6.9... By far my favorite Woodchuck and they are proud of it at $10.99 for a sixer.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#222775 - 10/06/11 02:43 PM

Was out on the east coast last month and had some Yuengling Lager. Oldest Brewery in the US. Pretty good stuff for a bunch of Yankees

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: H2ODOG]
      #222782 - 10/06/11 08:09 PM

I like Yuengling. Genesee Cream Ale is another old upstate NY beer I like a lot - Brown Derby has it sometimes.

I've got a half-formed theory that there's some correlation between politics and beer quality. It seems like the best beer is brewed by the wing-nuts and sissies out on the Left Coast, then Colorado, then Boston and elsewhere in New England. In "blue states", I suppose.

Then from more conservative areas like Texas, we get, uh, Shiner.

Shovel_Head

#222808 - 10/07/11 10:18 PM

I kinda like that Shiner Black....

OzarkModerator

#222834 - 10/09/11 04:48 PM

Quote:

Shovel_Head said:
I kinda like that Shiner Black....

I've tried to like Shiner, lots of times. They've got some good-sounding beer styles and every year or so I'll buy a sixer of one of theirs, hoping for the best. Nope, I always get disappointed.

What it is, I think, is that when we started our homebrew shop in the early 80's a lot of our customers were making "Prohibition-style" homebrew - one can of hopped malt extract, five cups of sugar, a pack of Red Star yeast, and let 'er rip!

Hate to say, the Shiner beers all remind me of those - they hit the sugar bowl 'way too hard!

Jayhawk
Triton kicks Rangers Ass

#222875 - 10/13/11 07:56 AM

Just picked up a sixer of the Southern Tier 2xIPA... Good chit for sure And at 8.2%, makes going to sleep a whole lot easier...

3s

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: SE IL

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Jayhawk]
      #222910 - 10/14/11 10:25 AM

Picked up some Bad Elmer Porter and a sixer of Flying Dog IPA to try. Last weekend was some Schlafly pumpkin, its defiinitely a 1 beer at a time beer

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: 3s]
      #222960 - 10/15/11 09:10 PM

I've been pounding some Ranger IPA lately....that is all.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: griffin]
      #222975 - 10/16/11 04:39 PM

Moose Drool and Perroni up here.

Jayhawk
Triton kicks Rangers Ass

#222990 - 10/17/11 07:39 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I think it has an IBU of around 300...

3s

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: SE IL

#222994 - 10/17/11 09:55 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I really like the Ranger too. Sad day yesterday.....last of the schlafly special release IPA down the pipe

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Jayhawk]
      #223012 - 10/17/11 11:13 PM

Quote:

Jayhawk said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I think it has an IBU of around 300...

Well, if IBU I wouldn't worry about it.

My wife's gonna leave, I just know it.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

OzarkModerator

#223024 - 10/18/11 08:58 AM

The manager of our local Price Cutter apparently decided to expand their beer selection, so I've been trying some new stuff. There's been two real finds so far - the kind that make you go "Oh lord, that's GOOD beer!".

First, you hop-loving Pale Ale guys would really like "Lagunitas Little Sumpin'" Sumpin' Ale. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, Ca. According to the label, 64.20 IBU, O.G. 1.076, Alc. 7.5% by volume. Ingredients: "12 Fluid Oz's. of Hops, Malt, Hops, Hops, Yeast, Hops, Water, and Hops. Life is Uncertain, Don't Sip." Good, Good, GOOD!

Then there's "Dark Truth Stout" from Boulevard Brewing Co. in K.C., Mo. This is one of their premium "Boulevard Smokestack Series" beers that come kinda pricey in a 4-pack. Per the label: "Roasted English Malts provide a deep, rich texture, Belgian yeast bestows plum-like fruitiness, and German hops add spicy aromas as Dark Truth Stout mellows to a smooth, dry, smoky finish". 9.7 Alcohol by volume. Wow, this is a fine (bedtime) beer!

I'll leave it to griffin to expound on that "plum-like fruitiness" thing - he's from the big city.

Scout 1

#223027 - 10/18/11 10:49 AM

I don't recommend Peroni Nastro Azurro. it's plumb fruity too.
NOT worth 7 bucks a six. That's my beer review.

You guys are the exception to this of course, but I'd bet 8 average Joes out of 10 couldn't I.D. a Belgian yeast from a cheap ass grocery store yeast, and the same with hops, malt and the other stuff. The beer either tastes good or it doesn't.

Peroni is the latter, coz it don't taste. There's just nothing there.

Paul Dallas

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Scout 1]
      #223033 - 10/18/11 11:09 AM

Italians are good at fast cars and hot brunette broads. Okay and some wine and cannolli's. Not beer.

Not sure about that particular flavor of Peroni, but imported light beers like Peroni almost always suck compared to similar style microbrews made on this side of the pond. That Peroni probably sat in a warehouse for a few months before it even made it to a store shelf, and prior to that, on an ocean container for a good month.

Scout 1

#223035 - 10/18/11 12:20 PM

Entirely possible Paul. But this wasn't even skunky. It didn't have any "flavor" at all. I mean, like NONE. I wonder if it was an "end of the run" and it actually is rinsewater??? gakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I like trying diffrent beers .. and yes you're right, alotta the "Euro" stuff is notably old and skunky, off, etc.

I wish Schlafly was available up here. Luckily, I'm headed to Como and beer heaven, comparatively speaking. Up here, if it ain't Bud-Miller-Coors, they've never heard of it. Pigs!

Scout 1

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Scout 1]
      #223036 - 10/18/11 12:22 PM

Speaking of hot broads and cars... my attorney, The Dish, just took delivery of a new Lamborghini.

Looks GREAT rolling down Walnut Street in Cameron between the chitty blacksmith shop and the grain elevator...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page