CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
OzarkModerator

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: out in the woods

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Scout 1]
      #223043 - 10/18/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

Scout 1 said:
I don't recommend Peroni Nastro Azurro. it's plumb fruity too.

I'm no linguist, but any beer with "Nastro" in the name has to be nasty. Like P.D., I don't think great beer is something Italy is known for.

After trying a commercial beer that's new to me, and after forming an opinion of it, I like to look up how it rated on Beer Advocate. The guys doing the ratings there are beer geeks - the kind we got to know and love while we were in the homebrew supply business. Bow ties, overbites, coke-bottle eyeglasses, and they'll biotch-slap ya for confusing Willamette with a Noble hop. Well, maybe I exaggerate a little (but just a little).

They know their brews, though - and since there are so many readers doing these ratings, the average is usually a good indication of a beer's quality. So far my taste buds are holding up just fine, as the readers rating beers for Beer Advocate nearly always agree with what I've already decided. They agree with your assessment of the Italian Nasty beer, too!

The Beer Advocate rating for the "Little Sumpin' Ale" I like so well is here:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789

The Dark Truth Stout I also like is here:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/56469

And your "Nastro" is here, rated "mediocre". Yep.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/258/1790

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #223062 - 10/19/11 04:32 AM

Thanks. The one saving grace of Peroni is, it doesn't interfere with the taste of whatever Italian dish it's served with... like one dude said on BA... like setzer water.

Those reviewers are pretty uhhhhh acerbic is the term that comes to mind LMFAO!!!!!!!!! But Interesting stuff. I'm learning a lot about bier!!!!!

One ??? is "lacing" found the vertical sides of the beer glass or what? I could have hit the FAQs for that but I'm too damn lazy at 5a.m. LMFAO

PS, there's a Peroni empty here on the table where I'm typing this... the bottle doesn't even have a whiff of beer to it... really disappointing stuff.

Edited by Scout 1 (10/19/11 04:39 AM)

hillbilly

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Cedar County

#223072 - 10/19/11 06:31 AM

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - Pale, straw yellow. It has an inch of white head.

S - It's your typical skunky, green bottle smell.

T - It tastes skunked and ass like. Not good

M - Luckily it is watery. If there were some corn floating in it I would be worried that they are bottling Italian chit.

O - It is a great beer! Not really, it is pretty bad.

Serving type: bottle

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: hillbilly]
      #223073 - 10/19/11 06:40 AM

When I was a kid, there was a liquor store out on the highway that had "near beer" that they let us kids buy (9 year olds). THAT is what Peroni reminds me of! That Near Beer was maybe .25%?? It tasted just like this Dago brew that they're pretty proud of, price point-wise HAHAHAHAHA

Gonna hit a beer cave in Como this afternoon. Been thru the Pronghorn and the one with the chocolate lab on it... both were OK... gonna try something else this trip. I'll post up so you guys can have a laff LMFAO

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

#223619 - 11/05/11 10:11 PM

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere HARVEST ale - polished off a bomber moments ago. tattstedd like Topreodo. down periscope

RafeHollister

Loc: Webb City, MO

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #223938 - 11/14/11 01:07 PM

I bought the Sierra Nevada Stout this weekend. I rank it above Guinness and below SA Cream Stout. SN is another brewery, along with SA, Boulevard and Leinie's, that rarely fail.

--------------------
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: RafeHollister]
      #223951 - 11/14/11 06:50 PM

Speaking of Guinness, had a couple of bottles in the back of the fridge for weeks and weeks. I was out of "good" black beer, so I fished one out and popped it open.
I was surprised to find it partially frozen. Not too surprising I guess, considering it's a fairly low abv beer. Anyways, I decanted the liquid phase (about 2/3 of it) and it weren't bad! The inadvertant process added some 'nads to what is usually a thin gruel.

Anybody seen Big Sky's seasonal porter yet? Best black beer on the planet.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Original_Al

Loc: Most dangerous city in America

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: RafeHollister]
      #223952 - 11/14/11 06:51 PM

Made a trip to lukas liquor yesterday. Got a Same Adams winter sampler, a Boulevard winter sampler, then did 2 of the mix n match 6 packs. Got all winter seasonals.

So far I've only got into the Sam Adams beers.

--------------------
I Ain't Gone To Bed With No Ugly Women, But I've Sure Woke Up With A Few

Original_Al

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Original_Al]
      #223959 - 11/14/11 10:18 PM

I've managed to sample the Schlafly Winter ESB, Goose Island Mild Winter, Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, Sam Adams Old Fezzwig Ale, Sam Adams Winter Ale, and the Sierra Nevada Celebration.

Most of them don't do much for me, but the Sierra Nevada Celebration is pretty OK. The only IPA of the group.

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock was pretty good if you're into that style.

The Goose Island Mild Winter was good.

Schlafly Winter didn't do much for me.

Sam Adams Winter Ale didn't impress me. Tasted like a really boring brown ale.

All of these reviews are amateur at best, so take it for what it is. I'm no expert, but I know what tastes good to me.

--------------------

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #223960 - 11/15/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Forsythian said:

I was surprised to find it partially frozen. Not too surprising I guess, considering it's a fairly low abv beer. Anyways, I decanted the liquid phase (about 2/3 of it) and it weren't bad! The inadvertant process added some 'nads to what is usually a thin gruel.

Reminds me of a family story. 'Way back when, I had an aunt and uncle who got stranded in Flagstaff by a snowstorm while driving between CA and MO. They were stuck in a motel for several days.

With nothing to do, my uncle remembered that he had two full cases of beer in the trunk of the car - a California brand that he'd found and liked, and couldn't get in Missouri. He brought them in, and they found the beer was frozen except right in the middle of each can. They used a spoon or something to punch through the ice, and got to pouring the unfrozen alcohol out into glasses and drinking it. There really wasn't much liquid volume, so between them they drank it all.

These were church people who'd been married forever and didn't drink much, and boy, they got drunk. Too bad they were already in their 50's, or I'd have probably got another cousin out of that deal!

I'll start looking for Big Sky's seasonal Porter since you say it's good.

Original Al - I bet I'd like the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, but if it only comes in a sample pack with their Old Fezziwig and Winter Ale, I probably won't buy it. I've had both of those before, and I wasn't impressed.

Two big beers, and sort of opposite styles to each other, that I've been enjoying:

Big Sky Powder Hound Winter Ale - a heavy, 7.2%, amber ale, hopped to the max with a REAL good hop selection. GOOD!

Tommyknocker Butt Head Bock lager - a Doppelbock out of Colorado, malty, hoppy, cold-lagered, they did a real good job on it!

Carry on.

Paul Dallas

#224080 - 11/18/11 10:07 PM

It 'taint in the fridge, but in my gut. Boodles gin martini

Tommyknocker Doppel sound good. Sick of this Budweiser keg, wish it would finish, I'm sick of yeller beer, the lawn quit growed a while back.

OzarkModerator

#224102 - 11/19/11 09:05 PM

Yup. Price Cutter here started carrying Tommyknocker beers - from an Idaho Springs, Colorado microbrewery. There seem to be a whole bunch of flavors.

I enjoyed the Bock six-pack, then I bought a sampler pack of six different styles. Their IPA was real, real good - then there was a foo-foo Summer Ale made with fruit juice (blackberry, I think) that I actually enjoyed a lot (I take it all back, Haus). Last night it was a bottle of Vienna style Amber Lager that was RIGHT on.

Hmmmm. Tommyknocker be brewing good beer. At least everything of theirs I've tried so far has been good, and I like that their selection includes heavy lagers that most micros won't brew because those take up too much fermenter time.

I'll have to explore the Tommyknocker brews further - a tough job, but I try to be useful even in retirement.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#224121 - 11/20/11 11:54 AM

And here I am drinking a TommyKnocker Pick Axe IPA after my run this morning. Damn good beer. I think I'll finish the rest of this sixer and then work on the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for the rest of the day. Man, I hate cold rainy football Sunday's in front of the fire.

griffn

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: griffin]
      #224143 - 11/20/11 08:49 PM

i've been to tommyknocker's brewery twice. this past august i tried their pumpkin ale and their black ipa. pumpkin was okay.. tasted like they put too much brown sugar in it to me.
the black ipa was pretty dang good. i think they used some rye malt in it for some different flavorings.

the wife had some sort of summer ale called tundraberry or something like that. it was infused with berry juice or something. not bad at all.

neat lil brewery on the main strip of town. idaho springs is pretty much on the shoulder of i-70, down in a canyon. i'd hate to see the town after a big rain.. it would wash it away.

here's a couple pics:

pics of their medals. also if you look out the window, you can see the canyon wall.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Edited by HAUS (11/20/11 09:18 PM)

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #224144 - 11/20/11 11:51 PM

Haus, thanks for the info and for posting the pictures. That's interesting.

I didn't know a thing about Tommyknockers, but I'm impressed by three things: (1) Every beer I've tried of theirs has been of good quality, and sometimes REAL good quality. (2) I like the selection of beers they're offering. They're not playing the usual brewery economic game of trying to sell LESS product content for the same or greater amount of money (everybody peddling quickly brewed thin wheat ales, woo-hoo). (3) To get their beers distributed in Missouri and who-knows where else is a BIG breakthrough in the micro business. That's Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada stuff, and if they can do that they're putting out some real quantity while maintaining quality, and they're not a small business anymore.

And you know it's a rare microbrewery that'll tie up fermenters making lagers, especially high-gravity ones. That makes points with me!

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#224157 - 11/21/11 08:36 AM

i haven't checked, but i have to believe that they are also brewing off site from this location. it's just not big enough to produce what they are producing..

i woulda took shots of the fermentors, but my back is basically resting against the side of them in these shots.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Original_Al

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #224180 - 11/22/11 12:59 AM

I got one of those Tommyknocker Butt Head Bocks in a sampler 6er one time. If I remember correctly I liked it. Tough to recall though. I was pretty far along in my tasting session.

I posted up for a nice long "tasting session" at Itap down in STL/Soulard last week. 500+ beers. I could sit there all day.

--------------------

Original_Al

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
      #224181 - 11/22/11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Ozark said:

Original Al - I bet I'd like the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, but if it only comes in a sample pack with their Old Fezziwig and Winter Ale, I probably won't buy it. I've had both of those before, and I wasn't impressed.

To my knowledge that's the only way to get it around here. Good brew, but probably the last time I'll have it. It's not worth spending the money on all those mediocre Christmas brews just for 2 chocolates

--------------------

Original_Al

Current High Scores in:
Spank the Money
      #224182 - 11/22/11 01:11 AM

Trying a New Belgium Snow Day - Malty, but with enough hops to keep it interesting

If you like Sierra Nevada Celebration give it a shot.

--------------------

Paul Dallas

#224257 - 11/23/11 08:43 PM

Lukas doesn't carry any Tommyknocker, I was bummed to find out. Left the store dejected with Torpedo and Paulaner Salvator.

OzarkModerator

#224267 - 11/24/11 08:43 AM

Quote:

Paul Dallas said:
Left the store dejected with Torpedo and Paulaner Salvator.

Good beers, both of 'em - but there's a couple of opposites.

At times I've blended beers with good results. If I had a sixer of both of those at the same time I think I'd try it.

Mixing the overhopped Torpedo in a glass with the over-malted Salvator might result in something real good, I think. Whatever comes of that wouldn't be a delicate beer, but I bet it'd be interesting.

Paul Dallas

#224311 - 11/25/11 04:43 PM

Never occurred to me to try, but great idea. Thats why I got those 2 -- to have the opposite ends of the spectrum -- a big hoppy ale and a strong malty lager, get sick of one, go to the other, but it never dawned on me to do like the kids do at a soda fountain, mix 'em all up. Along with the remnants of the half barrel of Budweiser I still have on tap, I figured I had all the in-laws covered for turkey day. They ended up just drinking wine and I'm glad they did.

So now I'm trying your idea, Oz, and I'm about 4 sips in to this 2-part epoxy, no explosions yet, and it tastes damn good. Don't worry, no Bud was added. I thought I mixed them perfectly equal 1-1, but the Salvator is actually in control, the big malt is more noticeable than the Torp's big hops. I would drink this beer all the time. I shall name it Salva-Torp. Or maybe Paul-Tedo.

Edited by Paul Dallas (11/25/11 04:48 PM)

OzarkModerator

#224320 - 11/25/11 08:41 PM

I'll try a glass full of that combination tonight, too. I've got Salvator in the 'fridge. I don't have any Torpedo Ale, but I've got some Latitude 48 and I think a bottle or two of Single Wide. One of those will be close enough.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

#224362 - 11/27/11 10:58 AM

Hung out in the garage last night, frying fish on the Coleman stove and listening to Mizzou trounce the whiny flatlanders to our West. Several brews were enjoyed, including a couple of new ones:

Tommyknocker Hopstrike Black IPA- A good "big" beer at 6.5% ABV. They tout the hops on the label, and they come through, but I think what makes this beer good are the roasted notes you expect from a black beer. Sometimes you don't get that. My only complaint is the higher abv masks some of the flavor.

Samuel Smiths India Ale- I imagine this to be more of a traditional "true" IPA, and it was incredibly good! The citrus was there but in the background. Same with the hops, they were there but they were not in your face. I wish this beer was more affordable.

Boulevard Dark Truth Stout- Once poured, your pint glass looks like a black hole. There's anticipation, awe, and a little fear that comes with the first pull. No light escapes as the roasties blast your taste buds and the 9.7% abv warms your innards. This beer ownded me, rendered me feeble. I was its b1tch. Still am.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #224378 - 11/27/11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Forsythian said:
Boulevard Dark Truth Stout- Once poured, your pint glass looks like a black hole. There's anticipation, awe, and a little fear that comes with the first pull. No light escapes as the roasties blast your taste buds and the 9.7% abv warms your innards. This beer ownded me, rendered me feeble. I was its b1tch. Still am.

"rendered me feeble".....BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

Review of the month!!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page