CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Paul Dallas

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #166067 - 10/24/08 09:49 PM

Kinda wondered about that. The lip on those aluminum bottles isn't much. Whats the BFD advantage of those bottles over ordinary aluminum cans anyway?

Tapped me a 1/6th barrel of O'Fallon 5-day IPA in the kegerator tonight. Born on date is 10/14/08, oooh it is like oven fresh bread.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #166072 - 10/24/08 11:59 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
the bud bottles have a straight neck. if you look at the neck on the non twist off bottles, you'll see it has a collar on it.. that's what gives the capper something to pull against.

I like a bench capper because it'll cap most anything. A bench capper doesn't have to grab a collar on the neck, and foreign beer bottles (like German 16.9 ouncers) have different size collars that keep two-lever cappers from working anyway.

Lots of guys bottle homebrew in champagne bottles, too. Those are good big bottles that work just fine with a bench capper. Ya might want to consider an equipment upgrade.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #166089 - 10/25/08 09:21 PM

The Mountain Dew bottles have a fairly pronounced collar... I'd guess it might work better than the bud bottle. I think it'll work... I'm gonna check out Ebay vs. Northern brewer for a capper I reckon. The next trick to this float trip deal is to find a beer "glass" that isn't glass... mebbe polycarbonate.

I'm with you Paul... if a guy wants to drink Bud, a can is just fine. I don't get it. Anyways, sounds like you're livin the good life with that kegerator!

BTW... I gotta say I like the Paulaners Octoberfest much better than Ayinger's. Still, this time of night, I go back to Schlafley dry hop apa like a moth to the flame... dayummmm I cannot get enough of that elixir!

Ozark- cool weather is here, and I'd guess the wheels are turning re the new brewing season. Thinking about an IPA hop-bomb this year?

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #166092 - 10/26/08 01:14 AM

Quote:

Forsythian said:
Ozark- cool weather is here, and I'd guess the wheels are turning re the new brewing season. Thinking about an IPA hop-bomb this year?

No, I'm thinking about trying to match Sam Adams Cream Stout - only with a little higher starting gravity (hence, more malt and alcohol). Now, that would be a good beer.

Paul Dallas

#166521 - 10/30/08 10:24 AM

Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. Lukas has quite a stockpile of it just came in, but they aren't exactly giving it away. One of my favorites though.

Mr_Turtlehead

Loc: In The Shell

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #166692 - 10/31/08 11:55 AM

Picked up a sixer of Rogue Dead Guy Ale for Halloweenie. It's tradition.

Also realized I never got back to ya Haus on that 471...didn't really notice the metallic taste? Although I did notice I was dyslexic after I drank a bomber of it

If y'all can get some of that Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (another 22 ouncer), it's hopfukintastic!

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Mr_Turtlehead]
      #166693 - 10/31/08 11:58 AM

Quote:

Mr_Turtlehead said:

Although I did notice I was dyslexic after I drank a bomber of it

Got some Bell's 2 Hearted Ale. I think it's a tad better than Schlafly, but not enough to justify 8.67 a sixer.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

lecty

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Columbia, MO

#167450 - 11/06/08 07:38 PM

Well.....since I finally talked my liquor store here in Wichita to get Schlafly's I have a lot more of that in the fridge. Lots of flavors. Shouldn't have wasted my money on the pumpkin spice. Said they have been selling a lot of it so now it is just not a temporary trial..hehe. Lots of birds around and Schlafly's in the fridge, no employees to stress me out anymore...life is GOOD!!

--------------------
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Edited by lecty (11/06/08 07:39 PM)

Gavin

Loc: St. Louis, MO

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: lecty]
      #168855 - 11/26/08 02:55 PM

One to add to the list...

Great Divide Hibernation Ale...great stuff...Kinda like Schlafly Dry Hopped APA with toned down hop bitterness and more malt. Your can find it at the Wholefoods near Brentwood & 40, and the Wine and Cheese Place across the road from Hacienda on Manchester. One to look for.

Forsythian

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Gavin]
      #168897 - 11/27/08 08:37 AM

I'll second that recommendation Gavin... plus, at 8+% ABV, it'll warm your cork in a hurry.

Happy Turkey Day. I am thankful for many things, among them good beer!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Paul Dallas

#169664 - 12/08/08 11:15 AM

Old Foghorn Barleywine - from the makers of Anchor Steam, first time its been available in Missouri, Lukas has a small supply of it, $17 per 6 pack though, but just had to try it. Super rich and sweet, but not gross like some barleywines i've had, this one was smooth. One bottle made me dizzy.

Czar Russian Imperial Stout - from Avery Brewing in Boulder. 22 oz bomber and 10.77% ABV. Almost as good as the Russian Imperial I brewed last year (Oz's recipe). All kinds of flavors going on: toffee, roasted malt, fruit candy, chocolate, almonds, and a smooth hop-finish.

Forsythian

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #170787 - 12/20/08 10:42 AM

I've been sampling the Flying Dog stuff lately...
The "Gonzo" Imperial Porter- might be the most opaque beer I've ever sampled... smooth though. 7.8% ABV, lots of licorice, nice hop balance, all kinds of subtleties. The last pull tastes different from the first, if you know what I mean! About $9 for a 4-pack.
Flying Dog's IPA is real real smooth... I like it better than O'dells, it doesn't bite as hard, better balance. It almost approaches a lawn-mower beer, it's super clear and more "crisp" than most IPA's I've had... not overdone. about $9 a sixer.
I've got a 4-pack of their "Double-Dog Double APA", but haven't yet tried it.

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

crossbar

Reged: 12/25/05
Loc: Jackson Mo.

#170813 - 12/20/08 02:06 PM

Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner. This stuff is great, one for the true hop-head.They sell it by the four pack and Scnhucks had one left. Damn. Also this years Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome. Haven't tried it yet should be good though.

Mr_Turtlehead

#170814 - 12/20/08 02:10 PM

Ahhh, the Double Dog will have you seeing, well double!

Forsythian

#172701 - 01/08/09 12:19 PM

That double dog was hell on wheels, I tell you what.

One of the better beers I've had lately is the Samuel Smith's "Taddy" porter. Very smooth and drinkable.

I've been in a rut lately... drink a couple of Schlafley APAs, then a 1554 or two. Mix it up with Flying Dog APA, and Odell's cutthroat porter.

Boring

Somebody help me out here... what am I missing? Give it to me straight man!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Mr_Turtlehead

#172712 - 01/08/09 01:43 PM

I hear ya. I'm actually burnt out on hops at the moment. Got a keg of Amberbock going just to soothe the taste buds with a little caramel malt sweetness. Thinking I might try some of those winter warmer varieties with high malt and ABV to boot.

Forsythian

#172719 - 01/08/09 02:14 PM

yeah, I'm thinking maybe I'm over the bad-experience-with-dopplebocks thing... I might give it a go this weekend.

I need to make a trip out to Cabool and see the boys at Little Yeoman's as well... that'll perk me up!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Mr_Turtlehead

#174964 - 01/30/09 03:58 PM

Back from my hophead hiatus.
Picked up a sixer of Bell's Hopslam at Lukas today which is released once a year.
Everything about this beer is extreme...hops=106 IBUs...ABV=10%...price=$17/six pack.
It's the Rocky Balboa of Imperial IPAs cuz it continuously knocks you on your ass but ya just keep gettin' back up and comin' back for more. Won't last long.

Paul Dallas

#175013 - 01/30/09 10:28 PM

I saw it today at the candy store, Turtle. I started to reach for it, but the recession yanked me back like a horsecollar tackle.

I settled for the Torpedo Extra IPA, and judging by the very few lacing rings on my pint glass . . that ship sank very quickly. Good stuff.

3s

Reged: 01/27/06
Loc: SE IL

#175921 - 02/09/09 06:10 AM

Quote:

Mr_Turtlehead said:
Back from my hophead hiatus.
Picked up a sixer of Bell's Hopslam at Lukas today which is released once a year.
Everything about this beer is extreme...hops=106 IBUs...ABV=10%...price=$17/six pack.
It's the Rocky Balboa of Imperial IPAs cuz it continuously knocks you on your ass but ya just keep gettin' back up and comin' back for more. Won't last long.

Man I should have read this a little more closely Remember hearing about it but couldn't remember what I read Went in and bout a 6 of it and the SN torpedo IPA. Drank a couple of the SN first then popped the top on the Hopslam. Great beer but don't drink the whole 6 at a setting. Might have a little trouble navigating afterwards

Forsythian

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: 3s]
      #176025 - 02/09/09 07:08 PM

A qt of Ozark's Oktoberfest... from the fridge to ma belly

dam fine!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

#176589 - 02/13/09 10:43 PM

I received a couple of packages today from a friend in SoCal who knows what a beer wasteland I live in here in SW Missouri. He still works in the microbrew industry, and he picked some beers he knew I'd like and included descriptions. Some of them are brewed by people we both know.

Some of these are real insider's beers - hard to find even out there. I'm looking forward to giving these a "quality check":

Alesmith Old Numbskull A barleywine from a San Diego brewery founded by a feller I used to know.

Stone Smoked Porter Stone Brewery kicks ass - every year in the smoked beers category at GABF, Stone and Alaska trade off on which one gets the Gold.

Alaska Smoke Porter Their first batch was made when they got bored and it was the off-season at the salmon processing plant next door. Salmon are smoked over Alder wood, so the brewers borrowed some wood from next door and smoked a bunch of pale malt over it. Many GABF gold medals later, they still do it that way every year.

Alesmith Yulesmith Their traditional holiday offering.

Port Brewing Company (3 beers):

.....The Lost Abbey Abbey Ale aged in wooden barrels.

.....Santa's Little Helper Described as a "fun" Imperial Stout.

.....Lost and Found A strong ale brewed with raisins.

Left Coast Brewing Company Hop Juice A ridiculously hopped APA which actually finds some balance.

Anchor Our Special Ale 2008 They do it every year, but hey, it's Anchor - it's gotta be good.

Anchor Small Beer Described by Anchor employees as "the best beer we don't sell". This is the second sparge run from my favorite, Old Foghorn Barleywine. Interesting.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale OK, we know this one even in Missouri. Sierra Nevada = lotsa hops.

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Hmmm. Here's something strange. My friend's a professional brewer and he raves about this stuff and gripes about how he can't hardly find it in CA. He calls it the "pinnacle of brewing art". Now, Goose Island is out of Chicago and they got bought by one of the majors (Miller?, Bud?) I've never seen Bourbon County Stout, but I've been unimpressed with other Goose Island flavors. We'll see - if it's that good it might be something I can actually buy around here.

Mr_Turtlehead

#176603 - 02/14/09 12:15 PM

Ozark, that's a helluva haul! I hope you turn on the surveillance system when you leave home!

OzarkModerator

#176609 - 02/14/09 12:45 PM

Why would I need to leave home?

Gavin

Loc: St. Louis, MO

#176613 - 02/14/09 04:59 PM

Thats one heck of a haul Ozark. Stone beers are awesome. Wish we could get them in MO...but no...

I think that you will like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout...sampled two of them over at the Iron Barley a couple weeks ago..very good.

Sipping on a Left Hand Milk Stout at the moment...darn good stuff..Incredibly smooth mouth feel, choclate, a bit of smoke. Not a great head on it, but its really good. Popped a 6er of Left Hand Sawtooth Ale last night..better than average, good balance of malt & hops. I liked that too..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5829 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176944

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page