CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> The Brewery Pub

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Gavin

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Gavin]
      #176618 - 02/14/09 06:51 PM

Not in the fridge but in the wine glass at the moment. Amancaya 2007 Malbec/Cab Sauv from Medoza Argentina. It appears to be a collaboration between Lafite Rothschild from France, and Nicolas Catena, one of Argentina's best wine makers.

Every once in a great while you pick up a $20 bottle of wine that is just smack on good...This is one of them. Cheers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OzarkModerator

Loc: out in the woods

#176659 - 02/15/09 10:17 AM

Wine? Isn't that pretty much rotten grape juice?

And you're paying $20 for one bottle? Man, you're going to the wrong place. At WalMart you can get about six bottles for $20 - and of several different kinds, too. I know they got red, white, and pink at least.

Even better, they got that "Delicious Red" bag-in-a-box wine that costs even less than their $3 a bottle kind. It goes down like about a gallon of Grape Kool-Aid then next morning it feels like you got in a wrasslin' match and somebody gouged your right eye out.

Sure glad I could help.

Forsythian

Loc: Nether Regions

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Ozark]
      #177385 - 02/22/09 09:43 AM

Battle of the IPAs and Porters going on in the Forsythian household right now...

Boulevard single wide IPA
Flying Dog IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA
Great Divide Titan IPA

Sierra Nevada Porter
Odells Cuthroat Porter
Flying Dog Porter

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Forsythian]
      #177398 - 02/22/09 01:00 PM

I keep trying and enjoying good micro beers as I encounter them, including the great California beers my friend sent me.

Somehow though, I keep going back to Sam Adams Cream Stout. It's not a real fancy or expensive beer, but that one just suits my taste.

Maybe I could rig up an I.V. of the stuff somehow, so I won't have to go to the trouble of swallowing.

p.s. - Forsythian, I'm pouring crappie jig heads today. Lots and lots of jig heads - the good times are comin'!

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#177473 - 02/23/09 11:20 AM

Here is my haul from Christmas

Golden City Brewing Oatmeal Stout
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Twisted Pine Brewing Espresso Stout
Schlafly Coffee Stout
Grand Lake Brewing Stumpjumper IPA
Twisted Pine Brewing Imperial Porter
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Boulder Brewing Hazed and Infused IPA
Twisted Pine Sampler
-Raspberry Wheat
-Hoppy Boy IPA
-Amber Ale
-Honey Brown Ale
-Blonde Ale

Throw in 5 gal of homebrewed IPA and my kidneys have been active the last month or so.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: HAUS]
      #178110 - 03/01/09 11:52 AM

I'm hoarding that treasure-trove my friend in CA sent me. Right after they came, I drank the bottle of Alaska Smoke Porter. I thought it was real, real good.

Last night, I tried a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - that's the one my friend called "the pinnacle of the brewer's art". According to the label, they brewed a super-Stout, then aged it in bourbon barrels.

I love big beers, and at 13% alcohol this one will sure get your attention. Unlike my friend, though, I didn't think the taste was very pleasant.

In fact, I had to drink a bottle of Sam Adams Cream Stout right after, to get the strong oak-and-bourbon taste out of my mouth. G.I.B.C.S. is one I won't be looking for at Brown Derby.

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#178162 - 03/01/09 07:59 PM

Ozark ,you are spot on. A friend gave me a mixture of 12 beers for my retiremnet. One was a GIBCS.Coffee with a kick....I thought it sucked too.I need hops!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

Forsythian

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Bubba]
      #178802 - 03/07/09 06:49 AM

Ozark, you got a message thingy comin' your way.
Also, not sure if I ever did compliment you, but that Oktoberfest was extremely tasty! :thumbsup:

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

HAUS
member for now

#178942 - 03/09/09 07:48 AM

Picked up a case of Sam Adams sampler for $20 this past weekend.

4 bottles of the following:
Boston Lager
Boston Ale
White Ale
Black Lager
Scotch Ale
Honey Porter

Pretty impressed with the Honey Porter and would have to say it's my favorite of the bunch.

Black Lager was excellent as well. Kind of a wimpy little brother to a good stout.

The Scotch Ale says it has malt used in that have been smoked using peat. Couldn't really taste any smokiness, but I was having breakfast at the time and eating some good bacon.. I will say it was very malty tasting.

After all the brews I've tried from Sam Adams, Jim definetly likes his malty brews. I haven't tried a hoppy one yet.

--------------------

OzarkModerator

#178949 - 03/09/09 10:35 AM

My taste has always tended toward malty, rather than hoppy, beers. That's why I get along so well with the Sam Adams brews. My favorite is still S.A. Cream Stout.

You had Sam Adams Scotch Ale for breakfast? Dammmmmm!

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

#185319 - 05/10/09 10:40 PM

Fresh Schlafly APA, born on date of late April is flowing in frothy rivulets into ice-chilled pint glasses here at South Fork (Dallas Manor) where JR Ewing is still evil, and Sue Ellen the biatch . . . I forget the hot blondes name at the moment, but anyway, yes, the kegerator is once again operational, and all is right with the world.

Stopped by the Intl Tap House with Mrs. Dallas for the 1st time this weekend. She ordered the Delirium Tremens - very good. I had the Hopmouth. 8.1% and battery acid with hops -- too much so. Is this the crappie bed?

Forsythian

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #185340 - 05/11/09 01:12 PM

I think it's the Odells IPA that is the crappie bed, though Big Sky's IPA is kinda 'cedaree' as well.

Fresh Schlafly APA from the kegerator sounds as inviting as a heaving, threadbare bodice

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

Edited by Forsythian (05/11/09 01:50 PM)

HAUS
member for now

#185341 - 05/11/09 01:51 PM

that reminds me of that damn hardees commercial that's been running lately... you know the one of the monster burger and the forkin hot chick sitting on the steps eating it....

i've watched that thing 20 times it seems and i still don't know whether i'm supposed to be hungry or have a hard-on when the commercial is over...

dallas, glad you are back up and running. i've got mine shut down for now. it seems the 1954 model deep freeze i was given likes to eat electricity like a fat kid takes to candy... electric bill went down $20 last month...

--------------------

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Missouri

#185353 - 05/11/09 07:51 PM

Forsythian is correct. Odell's is the proverbial " crappie bed " brew.

I drove by that lake the other day, and I swear I could taste that funk brew in the breeze.

jordan

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Ashlandia Greater Metropolitan...

Current High Scores in:
Seal Bounce
Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #185394 - 05/12/09 03:10 PM

buncha weakarse biatches.......

--------------------
The Cisco Kid was a friend of mine
He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine
WAR

OzarkModerator

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: jordan]
      #185429 - 05/13/09 01:06 PM

I picked up a sampler 12-pack of Big Sky beers today, and I'll be giving some of them a taste test tonight. It has 3 bottles each of Moose Drool Brown Ale, Trout Slayer Wheat Ale, Scape Goat Pale Ale, and Big Sky India Pale Ale.

From the same store I got a sixer of Michelob Original Lager. They claim it's their St. Louis recipe from 1896, and it's GOOD.

I first tried Michelob O.L. a couple of weeks ago, and I was surprised that I enjoyed the heck out of it. Major brewers can make real good beer if they want to, and in my opinion this is what mainstream American beer oughta taste like.

If the big boys would only start canning beers like this, I think the whole country would switch over to better quality in time. I doubt they'll do it though - there's probably more profit in the watered-down beer people are used to.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#185487 - 05/13/09 08:48 PM

I drank some of that Big Sky IPA, and it was some good beer. It wasn't a crappie bed. I coulda drank the rest of the 6 pack at Swampy's house if I didn't have to drive home.

Just found a 6 pack of Schafly's IPA Special Reserve brew in the ol' mans fridge I left here last year. Don't know if they are gonna taste good or not, but they ain't gonna go to waste.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: H2ODOG]
      #185525 - 05/14/09 08:46 AM

That Schlafly's is excellent. Wish they sold it north of I-70.

Gavin

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: Scout 1]
      #185979 - 05/20/09 11:51 AM

Tried two different beers this week...Titan IPA from Great Divide...good stuff if you like hops & malt, but its kinda heavy..Scape Goat Pale ale from some place in Missoula, same folks who make Trout Slayer Ale. Buy something else.

OzarkModerator

#186003 - 05/20/09 07:45 PM

Quote:

Gavin said:
Scape Goat Pale ale from some place in Missoula, same folks who make Trout Slayer Ale. Buy something else.

Yep. That's from Big Sky Brewing Co., the ones that made the 12-bottle sampler pack I posted about above. The fact that I still have 9 of the 12 bottles left a week later tells how much I like their beer.

Their advertising motto oughta be "MEDIOCRE!".

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#186014 - 05/20/09 10:12 PM

Mad Hatter IPA.....been drinking all I can get my hands on for 2 weeks.....that's all I can remember.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Gavin

Re: What's in the Fridge? [Re: griffin]
      #186048 - 05/21/09 09:06 AM

I'd agree, Big Sky's products are mediocre at best. Wish I would have spent a dollar or two more for some Left Hand, or another sixer of something from Great Divide. Noticed some Sam Adams Dopplebock, Imperial White, and Imperial Stout at the market yesterday. Planning to give em a try this weekend.

Forsythian

#186145 - 05/23/09 08:49 AM

Big Sky Moose Drool is a decent dessert beer. Pound down a couple of IPAs, then drink a Moose Drool... it has a sweet taste after loading up on all those hops.

Not seen the Mad Hatter. I like the Titan, but I like Flying Dog's IPA just as well and it's $3 cheaper. Mad Hatter... maybe some of that will slip through the Griffin gillnet and make its way down here.

For my holiday weekend, the store near me next to the Branson Kmart had Blvd Single-Wide for $6.99... I picked up a case and a half. Hello hops, goodbye tooth enamel!

--------------------
Sweep the leg.

OzarkModerator

#186147 - 05/23/09 09:42 AM

Sometimes a beer just hits the spot, along with the right food or whatever.

My wife and I were in Springpatch the other day and we had lunch at Old Chicago near the S. Glenstone WalMart and Home Depot. I stopped there because I noticed their sign - "110 Beers". 30 of the beers are on tap, and 80 are bottled.

We both had a Reuben sandwich - the best one I've ever tasted. Those come with fries, which were extra-good also - and they're so big my wife and I both took half our Reuben and half our fries home and that was our supper too. Two good meals for the price of one.

With lunch, I had a pint of draft Warsteiner Dunkel. Along with that corned beef, kraut, and cheese on rye toasted sandwich it went JUST right. Dang, that was good. That's the first time we'd been to Old Chicago, and I know we'll be stopping there again. Pretty often, if it's up to me.

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

#186279 - 05/26/09 10:17 AM

I agree Ozark about that Old Chicago deal, one of my favorite chain places.

Also, I found Schlafly beer in my area over the weekend... HyVee has it!

Got a six of the No. 15, got it home and iced down nice, and it's not bad. Pretty mild actually, nothing like the stuff the St. Louie boys brought up to DS3.

After the fourth one, I happened to see the Born On date... June 2008!!!

So I guess I've really never had a Schlafly No. 15, after all. I wonder what one less than a year old is like? LMFAO

Is that long a date common in beer? I thought they pulled em after a certain period of time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ozark 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 176945

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page