CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1
Jaeger

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: St. Louis

Stump Grinder
      #105102 - 07/16/07 03:25 PM

I?ve cut down allot of trees, and sawed and split allot of wood, but I?d never ground out stumps before. Whoever invented this machine needs to go back to the drawing board, or at least next time I need one two or three times the size of the one I rented.

I thought that the stump grinder would do most of the work for me, but after three huge stumps and about 12 hours of work I almost think that chewing it with a sharp chain saw would be easier. People with bad backs shouldn?t even think about trying to do this. I don?t know what the hell I was thinking.

It?s about $150 a stump to have the tree service do it, and the infernal machine costs about $100 to rent for the day. I figured I was saving about three fifty by doing it myself. It ain?t worth it.

I rented a 18hp job with a 6? blade. There was one in the catalog with a 30hp motor and a 12? blade (the forkers didn?t have that one though). If you are going to do this I do not recommend going with the smaller models, AT ALL. If the stump is any bigger than 12? forget doing it yourself with a small one. In fact, there is a very expensive remote controlled one that sits on the stump and actually does all the work, but I have a feeling that unless you?re doing more than six or seven in a day it?s cheaper to have someone else do it.

The dead man?s switch on the handle bites into your fingers and vibrates till your hands are so numb that your fingernails will hurt for days afterwards. One wheel has a hand break on it so that you can pivot the machine. After bout two hours, when there is a two foot pile of sawdust and dirt underneath the wheels, it the thing goes wherever the hell it want to, and you have to muscle it around like it didn?t have any wheels at all, or else stop every twenty minutes to clear out a patch to work in. If you take the second option don?t try to do more than one a day, because you will spend half your time clearing a new patch.

If the bastards that cut the tree down didn?t take it as close to the ground as possible it multiplies your work by about double per inch above the ground, and in my case the forker was so high that cutting blade wouldn?t even reach the top except from a single angle. It must have had some leveling switch in it, because it kept putting off when I tried to go from the top.

The blades on the cutting wheel got dull in a hurry, and by the time I was on stump three the sawdust had become so fine I may as well have been using a floor sander. That made it take triple the time of the first one. Another piece of advice, if you?re grinding multiple stumps take out the big one first, NOT last. By stump three I would have given up the secret formula just to make the torture stop. Please make it stop.

Muscling the machine into the SUV was also comical. My wife couldn?t even begin to lift one side of it, so she just held the handle in roughly the same place while I grabbed it by the front and got the blade into the back. The forker nailed my, already hurting, fingers every single time.

In short, I don?t think I?ve worked so hard in a day since I was tearing off caustic, pitch roofs. It?s way better than an axe, but then I wouldn?t try to chop three stumps in a day with an axe. I am a broken man. I can?t sleep. I can?t sit down, and I can?t stand up.

I?m sitting here with dark circles under my eyes seeing if my liver and kidneys can withstand ten times the recommended dosage of ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin. I could barely get out of bed on Sunday, and it?s twice as bad today. My back feels like I?ve been shined up by an angry mob.

I am thinking that the only relief may be found at the bottom of a bottle of Makers Mark. I?m thinking about picking up alcoholism.

For all you man?s men who never hire anyone to do anything, let my pain serve as a warning against stump grinding. If you ignore that, get a machine twice the size you think you need. Whatever money you save will not be worth it, I can assure you.

--------------------
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
duko™

Loc: east mo

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Jaeger]
      #105104 - 07/16/07 03:30 PM

I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about a whore you bought off of Craigslist.com.

Very disappointing..

duko

Jaeger

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: duko™]
      #105106 - 07/16/07 03:42 PM

--------------------
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Krazy

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: duko™]
      #105110 - 07/16/07 03:49 PM

Good read...anybody that tried to save a nickel by doing a job themselves should have a couple stories of their own.

I can relate somewhat...if a fella needs to use a trencher.....ALWAYS get the one you ride on. Them walk behind trenchers are a mutherforker to keep on line when trenching on a hill.

Bigger is better.

Tigerstripe
Last Mongol Duck Hunter

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Where the hell are we Toto?

#105114 - 07/16/07 04:15 PM

Dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why there are backhoe mounted stump grinders.

--------------------
Love that Glenlivet flavored Kool Aid!!!!!

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Tigerstripe]
      #105115 - 07/16/07 04:28 PM

Let me guess...they talked you into renting one of these.

That walk behind self moving machine is the most labor intensive bastard to run. You do more work than the machine does.

Should have rented this one. It will do all the work ya need and it ain't hard on a man at all. Of course it runs $200 a day so ya should have hired it out.

Of course this is a little big for your job, but this is the machine I love.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Jaeger

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: H2ODOG]
      #105127 - 07/16/07 06:12 PM

...and knowing is half the battle...

That first one you say NOT to get is actually bigger than the one I had, and the stump he's working on is about six inches lower than the ones I chewed.

I'm not stupid, just ignorant.

Next time I'll go the heavy equipment place and get something you ride on, or control with a box. I can still hardly believe how sore I am, and how stiff my back is.

The Dr. is proscribing drinking heavily.

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#105130 - 07/16/07 06:24 PM

The dude who did my folks stumps a few yrs back had some setup and was running the outfit with a small block Chevy. $75 a stump and he didn't waste anytime making them disappear.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Duckv

Loc: You see that sign says Riiib T...

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: HAUS]
      #105138 - 07/16/07 07:18 PM

The out of town guys who came in after the ice storms would grind stumps for whatever you had in your pocket. Flagged one down one Sunday afternoon, took care of a stump in my back yard for $42. We started at $150. In and out of the yard in about 10 minutes, machine a little bigger than the yellow one above. Guy drove it into the back yard, then moved two little handles up and down while the grinder went back and forth like the stump was made of butter.

Had to clean up the mess myself, but it was a well spent $42.

foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Duckv]
      #105192 - 07/16/07 11:39 PM

Bet the one one you had Pete was duller than Paul Revere.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

Krazy

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: foots]
      #105239 - 07/17/07 11:46 AM

Quote:

foots said:

Ohhhhh fawk....thats funny!

SwampFox

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Krazy]
      #105280 - 07/17/07 02:13 PM

I've got a cousin in Auxvasse that does stump grinding on the side. I think his big one will grind down 18" below ground level and turn big rocks into little rocks.
His advertising motto is, "Help a poor boy pay for his toys." Just in case you are browsing the yellow pages.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

Mel

Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

#105302 - 07/17/07 03:03 PM

Quote:

Krazy said:
Quote:

foots said:

Ohhhhh fawk....thats funny!

Would be if it wasn't so true.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

Vogi

Loc: Saline County, MO

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Mel]
      #105329 - 07/17/07 06:01 PM

When they were working on the Grandview triangle, there were lots of trees in the SW part. Big, mature, full grown trees. The excav company had grinders on track hoes that could turn one of those big-A trees into a pile of chips in nothing flat. No dozing needed, just grind em up and push what was left into a pile.

Tankdog78

Loc: Norfolk in the Dirty Va

Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Vogi]
      #106664 - 07/28/07 10:44 PM

them bob kitty excavator atachments are nice and all but you need a kobelco 210 excavator with a thumb dig around the stump and grab it a yank it out with the 46000lbs of ass that thing has and youll think your getting something done.

yeah I rent heavy equipment so I look at things a little different.

Krazy

#106683 - 07/29/07 09:30 AM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:

Check out the decal on the boom arm "Stay back 25 feet". Dude sittin in the seat looks much closer than that. Seems like a cab might be a good idea instead of that sumbeach.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#106717 - 07/29/07 08:25 PM

debris flies Left to right from the machine lookin at the machine. I've used one plenty of times and debris doens't go towards the cab. I figured someone that knew everything would have already known that.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Tigerhaze

Loc: Deepwater Creek Country

Current High Scores in:
PacMan
Re: Stump Grinder [Re: Tankdog78]
      #106817 - 07/30/07 02:56 PM

I've been doing a lot of tree cutting on my property lately-I just use my crawler loader to pop stumps right out of the ground- no grinding necessary.

--------------------
"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."~ Josey Wales

Krazy

#106833 - 07/30/07 06:23 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
debris flies Left to right from the machine lookin at the machine. I've used one plenty of times and debris doens't go towards the cab. I figured someone that knew everything would have already known that.

Mark it down as a first then I reckon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1381

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page