CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: last_stand]
      #177081 - 02/19/09 09:15 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
..of the 4 goals were any on Mason?

2 he had no chance and 2 could be argued either way. He was not the difference in the game. As griffin stated they were flat. I don't know about tired (look at 3rd period) but certainly flat for periods 1 and 2.

By the way, did anyone else see the Ovechkin goal from last night? WOW!! A pass to himself, off the boards, behind the back, with a spin-o-rama and scores while being dragged down, in front of the net. See if you can find the highlight on the web. I saw it on ESPN.com and clicked on NHL Home. The clip I saw was Barry Melrose and some other dudes discussing it and showing the highlight. That was Gretzky-like...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: sptsman]
      #177083 - 02/19/09 09:24 AM

I didn't see alot of pop from them even in the 3rd period.

I think they looked better because Columbus was just playing to protect a decent lead.

Tonight will be interesting. The Predators were also smacked around pretty good last night.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: griffin]
      #177088 - 02/19/09 10:13 AM

If they lose tonight, look for trades... They really needed to win both last night and tonight. With a win tonight, it would still be possible to make the playoffs but very difficult. With a loss tonight, I would say the odds are looooooong, at best...

Maybe Tkachuk for a hot young goalie prospect!!

--------------------

sptsman

#177195 - 02/20/09 07:35 AM

Nice win for the boys...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#177206 - 02/20/09 08:21 AM

I have never seen any team in my life as tentative as they are in the last 2 or 3 minutes of a close game. Hell, it's 5 on 5 and they back up like they are shorthanded, defending the 4 corners. Nobody can get the puck out of the zone and nobody even tries to attack.

Yeah, a nice win.....but geez.....I need more beer when I watch the last few minutes.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

#177248 - 02/20/09 11:34 AM

Somebody needs to remind them that they need points and also need to keep teams like Nashville from getting points. A 2-1 win in regulation would have been far more valuable than th 2-1 win in OT. Of course they didn't want to lose and get no points but they can no longer afford to think like that. It has to be balls-to-the-wall from here on out.

They owned that 3rd period until the last 4-5 minutes.

Also give credit to their Goalie, Rinne. That could have been a 3-1 or 4-1 win for the Blues, if it weren't for him. And he had zero chance on the game winner by Tkachuk. In fact, he made 3 or 4 saves on that power play, just prior to that...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#177259 - 02/20/09 01:01 PM

No doubt, under the current system it is MUCH harder to climb out of a hole. Used to be a hockey game was worth 2 points....win or tie. Lots of games are worth 3 now, and when the two teams playing are teams you are trying to catch.....having 3 points in the mix makes it that much harder to catch up.

If the Blues don't make it......I'll remember the losses to Edmonton and Nashville back to back when the Blues had the games in hand......and gave them back.

Do the math......they'd be one point out right now and looking like the team to beat.

griffin

--------------------

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

#177278 - 02/20/09 04:38 PM

Didn't know they taught math at Chaminerd

sptsman

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #177369 - 02/22/09 05:34 AM

Chris Mason could not have slept well last night...

To play 60+ minutes of solid goaltending, then let that puck dribble off of you and into the net...

Murray needs to stomp on the accelerator and have these boys taking a few chances. This conservative play "not-to-lose" is NOT going to get them to the playoffs...

--------------------

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#177410 - 02/22/09 05:50 PM

Murray continues to rave about Mason....I guess there is not much else he can say and I know Mason has it in him but wtf the scoreboard is all that matters right now.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#177414 - 02/22/09 07:02 PM

This gay hockey twittering must end....it makes zero sense!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Bubba]
      #177452 - 02/23/09 08:28 AM

If I were Mason I would have slept fine.....if you hold the opposition to ZERO goals for a 60 minute game and then lose in overtime....the loss is SQUARELY on your teammates who COULD NOT SCORE.

I'll tell you this, I have watched the last 10 games.....Mason is solid except for one game....and he falls apart in shootouts. Other then that, the Blues have a SCORING rpoblem, not a goaltending issue.

griffin

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#177643 - 02/24/09 09:04 PM

BLUES WIN!!!

There's another game that Mason kept them in....as I saID.....right now, our issues have NOTHING to do with goaltending.

Have you EVER seen a team as slow to get the puck out of their end as this one is?? Goddamn, it's hard to watch. Jackman is the only one with a prayer....and he has to rush it out because he sure as hell ain't making the long pass with his stone hands.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#177644 - 02/24/09 09:05 PM

After 52-54 games...9 teams within 8 points of each other.....the Note is at the bottom of the pile but they keep showing flashes of greatness......dayum we need some playoff hockey back in this town!

--------------------

sptsman

#177657 - 02/25/09 06:52 AM

I think missing Kariya is hurting them more than anticipated. They need his leadership on and off the ice, his speed and his scoring. These young kids are the future and I think we have some future all-stars but they need a guy like Kariya to show them how it's done. Sometimes we forget how skilled and fast that dude is. Considering the trouble we're having putting the biscuit in the basket lately, he would likely be the difference.

Another solid performance by Mason, a great shorthanded goal by McClement and a fluke by Perron was all it took. I was particularly happy to see how they played the last 5-10 minutes. They took it to the Coyotes and kept the pressure on...

The next two Blues all-stars will be Roman Polak on defense and T.J. Oshie on offense...

--------------------

last_stand

#177867 - 02/26/09 09:09 PM

They may have caught some breaks off the post tonight but that was nonetheless a helluva game by Mason and company. Even when not sharp they stayed in the game and shocked the Stars with their third period play....right to the end....keep it up boys!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#177868 - 02/26/09 09:37 PM

That's what good teams do....piss on 8th place....they're only 6 outta 5th place and the hottest team in the conference.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#177896 - 02/27/09 09:48 AM

I do think they are starting to believe in themselves. I am still doubtful because it seems like everytime they get a run going, and get this close, that they shiite all over themselves in a game they need, and should, win!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: IIFID]
      #177979 - 02/27/09 04:59 PM

I agree IFIFID....however......I am still at the stand drinkin like a fool.

It is pretty clear for all to see the impact of Mason since taking over....if he stays hot we are in.

bwaaaaaaaaaaa.......there is that " if " now.....

--------------------

last_stand

#178094 - 03/01/09 05:54 AM

How big is Tuesday night?

BIG. If we take 'em on and win it against the #2 Wings we can claim the hottest team mantle over past 15 games. But...if we lose it ...the REAL question is do we go in a spin as before or pick it back up with more wins to follow?

WTH...I'd like cherry please....

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#178097 - 03/01/09 06:56 AM

The Wings got HAMMERED last night while the Blue Note was winning. Now the Note are 3 points out of a playoff spot... start growing your playoff beards!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: IIFID]
      #178191 - 03/02/09 06:27 AM

This game is soooo huge.

You have a pissed-off Red Wing team that doesn't lose too often and damn sure doesn't want to lose 2 in a row. They will be on their "A" game. Count on it.

The Note have been playing very solid hockey and giving 100% effort most of the time. But let's also be realistic. They are clearly out-gunned against the Red Wings. They will have to play a very, very physical and tight-checking game, in order to win. If they get into an end-to-end, shootout, they will lose 5 or6 to 2 (if they can even get 2). There is no way they can keep pace with Datsyuk, Hossa, Zetterberg and the like.

If you want to see telling stats, go look at the +/- of the Red Wings top 10 players. Now go look at the top 10 for the Blues. The Red Wings have 9 players that are +10 or better (Datsyuk is +28 !!!!!) and the Blues have 2. More importantly, The Blues have 20 players that are "minus" and the Red Wings have 6.

The Blues can win this game and they need to get at least a point out of it. But it will be a tough, to be sure...

Go Blue!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#178219 - 03/02/09 09:22 AM

Man, speaking of +/- ratings. Sports Illustrated just did a pretty decent article on Bobby Orr. In his best season that sucker was PLUS 124!!!! Think about that for a minute.....it's unreal.

Gretzky was a scoring machine and his best year was +100.

I don't think we'll ever see anything like Orr again.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#178242 - 03/02/09 11:42 AM

Imagine what we would have seen for a career if his knees hadn't betrayed him. I only got to see him 2 times at the old barn. Both times he was just so dominant on the ice that he looked like a man amongst boys. What I remember most vividly is how absolutely strong and smooth he looked while skating with the puck. It looked like nobody could take it away and very few were interested in taking the body with him. They knew the price would be stiff...

I'd rank them Gretzky, Howe and Orr as the best three, and in that order...

I am not a huge fan of relying too heavily on the +/- ratings to determine the value of a player. But it is one good indicator in making evaluations. The huge + numbers are always impressive but some - numbers aren't always a true indicator. For example, the checking line guys are always playing against the best scorers of the other team. As such, a -5 at the end of the season may be damned impressive.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#178243 - 03/02/09 11:51 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I am not a huge fan of relying too heavily on the +/- ratings to determine the value of a player. But it is one good indicator in making evaluations. The huge + numbers are always impressive but some - numbers aren't always a true indicator. For example, the checking line guys are always playing against the best scorers of the other team. As such, a -5 at the end of the season may be damned impressive.

Quote:

The Blues have 20 players that are "minus" and the Red Wings have 6.

Make up your mind Andy......in one sentence a "minus" is a bad thing.....and not 20 minutes later having a "minus" is a pretty impressive. Just sayin.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5913 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 44229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page