CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
MB2

Reged: 12/14/05

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: last_stand]
      #179798 - 03/17/09 06:40 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
That's only funny if I know how often you change your pads MB.....bwaaaaaaa

Dude....I'm a good Canadian. I always, always, always remove my knee pads before getting into bed!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: MB2]
      #179866 - 03/17/09 07:15 PM

All of the other nashing of teeth notwithstanding.....the game tonight against Edmonton really IS the most important game so far. Win tonight, and the momentum may carry them through......lose and I don't see it happening.

They have to win 9 of the last 13 to get to 90 points. Nobody has made the 8th spot without at least 90 since the shootouts atarted.....a TRUE 4 pointer tonight.

O-2-1 so far against this team.....we HAVE to have this game.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: griffin]
      #179872 - 03/17/09 08:30 PM

Terrible penalty by Oshie results in an Edmonton goal.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #179877 - 03/17/09 08:50 PM

That "kid line" gets stuck out there alot with tired legs.....that's inexperience showing through.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #179878 - 03/17/09 08:55 PM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Terrible penalty by Oshie results in an Edmonton goal.

Trade Him!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: sptsman]
      #179898 - 03/17/09 10:58 PM

Dear Keith Tkachuk,

If all you are going to do is stand there all night....stay the fork home!!!!!!

Pitiful performance by a guy who is supposed to be a team leader.

I'll take the point......but now you've got to win 9 of 12 instead of 9 of 13.....the odds are stretching.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#179904 - 03/18/09 06:47 AM

Yeah but we are 2 points out with two teams tied for 8th and two more to jump....crowded alright but two of those 4 teams have to play very strong to close to keep us out.....we are trending better than all of them we just need to keep it up and bounce back when we fall.....also I think we have a game in hand on some of those other teams.
Maybe it's a year for 88 to get in. Maybe I'm crazy.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

#179979 - 03/18/09 05:44 PM

With this logjam, it might not take 90 this year. I wouldn't count on it ... But it is a very real possibility.

Stay tuned!!

--------------------

last_stand

#180007 - 03/19/09 07:31 AM

Vancouver tonight.....they have won 10 in a row at home.

--------------------

sptsman

#180013 - 03/19/09 08:44 AM

Odds are with us then...

--------------------

last_stand

#180035 - 03/19/09 02:20 PM

Hi Bubba !!!

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180073 - 03/19/09 11:31 PM

The fat lady is about to sing. Too many in front of them and the veterans have laid down. Blues have not scored a goal at even strength for over 2 games.

I see them only being able to lose 2 more games the rest of the way to have a shot at controlling their own destiny.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#180080 - 03/20/09 06:38 AM

I saw the first two periods but went to bed almost knowing for certain they would lose....they had two good enough periods but couldn't get it in the net....not sure about Murrays line mixes last night either.
I think they should have won both of these games but they didn't....they need to come out of this big and get the puck in the net.
On a side bar...I know Federko knows his hockey and I don't expect former players to be polished but the guy needs glasses....he constantly says things two and three times over that just ain't true.

--------------------

sptsman

#180082 - 03/20/09 06:55 AM

Now the non-trade of Tkachuk is looking like a mistake. The guy has been average, at best since then and it looks less and less likely that we'll make the playoffs. Could have built a little more for next year and been rid of a guy that is proving to not be the "leader" we needed him to be. I don't hold it against Davidson or anyone in management. Heck, we all have 20/20 vision in hindsight. But dayum, I sure thought he would step up for the run.

What is the status on no-show Tkachuk anyway? I heard he took a shot to the wrist and didn't come back. Is he out for the season? A game? Should we even care?

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180086 - 03/20/09 08:28 AM

I'll tell you what his status is.....he QUIT!

His big ass should be parked infront of the goalie making life miserable for him. We haven't scored any goals because the opposition goalie gets a clear view of every shot put up.

On the other end....watch the hell Mason is going through....will somebody PLEASE clear out the forking crease!!! I'm a big Jackman fan.....but he's a no-show as well.

This is playoff hockey.....and the Blues have no experience with it....and the few who do have the experience seem to have no stomach for the physical play it takes.

Piss on Tkachuck.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#180089 - 03/20/09 08:58 AM

It's hard to say what they should have done without knowing what they COULD have done. I'll give JD the benefit of doubt for keeping Tkachuk. Pretty frustrating now though.
Makes me wonder about your Pronger plan Sptsman but this ain't the year for us no matter.
For what we pay the guy I hope we can move Jackman out next year. It ain't lack of effort but for a 'sposed top D man he just doesn't execute well enough.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180090 - 03/20/09 09:04 AM

I think Jackman has been one of the top performers this year. He's a calming influence in their zone....BUT....I agree that he hasn't shown the toughness you expect from your top defenseman.....it's been especially evident the last few games as opposing teams have clogged our crease.

If they lose 2 more games fairly quickly I say let Bishop finish out the year and get some good experience.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#180094 - 03/20/09 09:30 AM

To be fair to Jackman, he has been the best player on "D" And he was never supposed to be the #1 guy back there. Between Brewer and Johnson, he should not have had to take the lead. That being said, he is a pro and he is being paid very well. He needs to step it up right now!

griffin, you are spot-on about this being playoff hockey. Every game is critical and the teams are playing like it. The checking is tighter, the games are more physical and you have to earn every goal you get. I think this is where the youth shows and the 80+ games start to take their toll on these kids that aren't used to it. They're now facing real adversity and it is up to the coaches and veterans to get them through it. So far, they're not!!

I would still go after Pronger in the off-season. I know some of you guys think Perron is the second coming but I would trade him in a heartbeat for Pronger. Not that Perron isn't good. Heck, I think he has the potential to be an all-star. But Pronger IS an all-star and has 2-3 years left in the tank. He can solve two of the three biggest problems they have. Add in the mentoring factor for Erik Johnson and his value is immeasurable. Trade a high draft pick and Perron (or any of our young guns) for Pronger and this team will make the playoffs, maybe even The Cup Finals in 2010 or 2011. I think they're that close. The third element is a big strong scoring fowrard, like Shanahan used to be or like Tkachuk is supposed to be...

You get Karia and Johnson back, these kids have another year under their belt, you add the forward they need and get Pronger = The Cup

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180095 - 03/20/09 09:38 AM

Man......you're killing me....because I don't disagree on the benefits of that trade.....but I've watched SO MANY good young players go on to be stars for other teams over the years that I'm willing sit and be patient....hell, LOTS of Blues have won a Stanley Cup....ater we let them go. Perron is the same.

Still.....you couldn't begin to put a price on Pronger's value to Johnson's development.

How's this....if Perron is traded just don't tell me about it.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#180098 - 03/20/09 09:58 AM

Look, if you keep Perron and don't shore up this defense, it will be another 20 years of making the playoffs with no Cup... Unger, Babych, Petterson, Federko, Hull, Oates... the list goes on. Offense wins games, defense wins championships!!

As I see it, his team has three major flaws. #1 is moving the puck out of our own end and making that transition. If Pronger isn't the best defenseman in the league he is in the top 5 and he is arguably the best at moving the puck. Johnson can be that guy but only after a few more years of development and who better to learn it from? Getting Pronger solves the immediate need and his mentoring, combined with Johnson's talent, could potentially solve the long term need. #2 is a strong, physical defensive play. That is clearing out the crease and pasting guys to the boards. Again, Pronger is in the top 2 or 3 at this. I actually think the Johnson can be the next Pronger but Polak will be the best defensive defensman this team has seen in a long time. Again, Pronger can do it for a few more years but what he can teach and show these kids is invaluable. #3 is the strong, scoring forward. While getting Pronger won't solve this problem, there can be no question that we would better offensively with is ability to move the puck up the ice.

'Nuf said, go get Pronger and make the deal...

You can wear your Perron replica jersey in memory...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180103 - 03/20/09 10:16 AM

The three issues you identified are the sames ones I do....so we agree.

I think you can get pronger for Backes and a high draft pick....and I think Perron will develope into twice the scorer Backes is....no, he won't ever be as physical....but he will become a true scorer.

I think Perron is too high of a price to pay. Pronger can be had for less.

griffin

--------------------

Kit

Loc: Columbia, MO

#180104 - 03/20/09 10:21 AM

Fork Pronger. How quickly you forget his total lack of leadership, cheap penalties at crucial points in games, ego, etc... Why would teams allow him to leave, because they can't stand the guy.

--------------------
"If you're the only one who shits in something, you own it. Remember that."

MelModerator

Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

#180108 - 03/20/09 10:49 AM

By God, this IS another Dogs on Ice dealio.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

sptsman

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Mel]
      #180140 - 03/20/09 05:31 PM

Quote:

Mel said:
By God, this IS another Dogs on Ice dealio.

STFU ... This is important dammit, it's hockey!! I've spent the better part of 40 years glued to radios, TV's and seats in both the Arena and this current contraption they replaced it with (not a fan of all the crap they play and show ... just give me Ernie Hayes on the organ and real fans in the seats) and I want to see Cup hoisted here!!

Quote:

griffin said:The three issues you identified are the sames ones I do....so we agree.

I think you can get pronger for Backes and a high draft pick....and I think Perron will develope into twice the scorer Backes is....no, he won't ever be as physical....but he will become a true scorer.

I think Perron is too high of a price to pay. Pronger can be had for less.

Backes has the potential to be that Shanahan-type player but he also a few years away from it. I honestly think he would be harder to replace than Perron. But we can argue that all day...

I think you are mistaken about Pronger's trade value. I think he wasn't traded at the deadline because they wanted too much and knew they could get more in the off-season, with more teams bidding for him. I'll bet he goes for at least one high draft pick and one top-line prospect or young NHL'er (like Perron or Backes). And he is more valuable to us for a variety of reasons (see brilliant posts above by me).

As far as his "lack of leadership" and unnecessary penalties and ego, blah, blah, blah... I'm not concerned. He was good enough to win a Cup with the ducks,eh? He has matured and would also be playing for an organIzation that is far different than the one when he left here. His wife is from here and he likes STL. I think you would see a more mature and smarter player... The reason he will be trade bait is that they need cap room and he is only signed until the end of next year. They know he's not staying in California and they want value for him. Many teams will give a fair price just for the one year rental. Any deal the Blues make would have to include an extension of at least 1-2 years. If they couldn't get him to sign an extension, I would agree that the price is too high. But I think the extension is a no-brainer...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180143 - 03/20/09 06:30 PM

Look, I a big Pronger fan....I have been since the day he got here and everyone else was whining about the trade. You could see from the beginning that his footwork and passing were world class....and like I said, I enjoy a defenseman with a mean streak....I think it's essential to be truly great at that position.

I would love for him to come back to the Blues.

That being said, I also see greatness in Perron.....more then I see in Oshie, Backes, or any other youngster on that team. He has great hands, and good vision.....and he's way above the average skater. That kid is only 20.....and he's a perennial 30-40 goal scorer in 2 or 3 years....I don't think you let that go.

You could be right about Backes......and I admit he's a player....but I see what he is now, and not alot of potential to be much better.

You may be right about the price for Pronger.....but I see the Ducks looking to cut way back....and draft picks will be what gets him in my opinion.....along with 1 or 2 decent prospects that come at a reduced salary....but not a first line player....which is what Perron may be as early as next year.

griffin

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3962 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 44229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page